OtakuBoards

.hack//SIGN

James

[color=#507AAC][size=1]I don't see any threads about this anime here, so I thought I'd make one. ^_^;;

I had heard of this anime before, but Adam reminded me of it again today. He gave me the link to a review and I must say, it looks very interesting!

The concept is a unique one. Everyone in the anime is basically a player in a MMORPG (ugh, I hate that acronym). People actually live their [i]lives[/i] in this universe, by wearing virtual reality suits.

In order to "quit", you simply have to find a save point. However, the main character is unable to quit. And basically, he gets drawn into this world and needs to find the answers behind it -- and perhaps more importantly, the answers to why he can't escape.

Sorry if that's a slightly inadequate description (I didn't get much sleep last night -.-), but that's basically the gist of it.

As far as I know, this series isn't out in America yet (though I could be wrong about that). If anyone has seen anything of it, I'm just wondering what your impressions are.

And for those of you who are unaware of it, what do you think of the concept? Apparently an actual game version will be release to coincide with the anime release. It certainly sounds like a very unique "Matrix-esque" idea to me.

I haven't been watching anime in a while, mainly because a lot of recent anime bores me. There are a few exceptions (mostly movies, rather than series). But I must say, this anime seems interesting to me. I like the concept...the idea that the game is so realistic and immersive, that people "hide" from their own lives and totally live inside the game. Of course, that raises questions about whether or not it's a healthy lifestyle...and of course, if the virtual world is simply [i]better[/i] than the real world. Or at least, if it's possible to escape one's own world and just live your entire life online (hey, many of us here do that anyway! ^_^;;).

Are you looking forward to this anime? ^_^[/color][/size]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1][color=#507AAC]As I mentioned, .hack//SIGN is not available in the United States yet. I'm not sure when it will be released over there though (soon I assume).

Actually, I'll be writing a feature that relates to it for theOtaku.com -- you'll get to see that within the next couple of days. So once it's up, you'll get a much better idea of what the hype is all about. ^.^

In the meantime, here's an image from the anime...[/size][/color]

[center][IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=311195[/IMG][/center]

Well I do know of a place that you can get it in America, a site where I usally get my anime has it. I'll put a link in sig. So I don't get in trouble. Back to what James said. I have heard about this series, and longed to get it but with money issues and other animes that are higher on my want list have made me refrain from getting it. I'll be getting it soon. Oh, and the site in my sig is realiable I buy most of my anime from there, and it usally comes pretty fast(within a week in most cases). Lataz

-OD

.::Edit::. Forgot to mention the really low prices at the site. Go and see. .::Edit::.

...One of the worst anime series I've ever seen. The plot is good but there are many key things that destory this anime....

1. The characters ARE BORING
2. WAAAAAAAAAAY too much aimless wandering and walking into things
3. They could of featured more battles instead of walking or outside interactivity of some sort.

I would recommend you watch a few episodes then make your decision. But 9 times out of 10 the people that I introduced this anime to, agreed with me whole hearted.

Ah, so [i]that's[/i] what the anime is that you showed me the pic of. I had a hunch that it was .hack//SIGN.

As for the actual anime, I can't say that I've seen it, but I've been hearing about it for a while now. The name sounds very intruiging, lol.

From what you say, it sounds like an awsome idea; an anime based on video games. It's combining two of the coolest things into one, and what better way to get James hooked, haha. I'll deffinitly want to see it sometime, and I hope not to be disapointed. :)

I think the game is already out. Anyway, I heard mixed reviews for this show and judging from you guy's picks, it all depends on what you like. Speaking of which there have been several animes based on games. Final Fantasy and Star Ocean EX are two more. But Star Ocean EX is very based on the Star Ocean 2 game. If you watch this show before you play the game, you basically have an idea on what to do. Still, I think its good, even makes my blood flowing again to pay this game a visit.

[color=#507AAC][size=1]I think there are a couple of points to be made about this anime.

First and foremost, it's true that there isn't a lot of combat. I would have liked to see more, but think about animes such as Ghost in the Shell for example. Ghost in the Shell really didn't have all that much combat, even though it did have some very fast-paced moments.

.hack//SIGN has a few things going for it. For starters, it's very character-driven. I think that people who like to get right into a deep story will enjoy that side of it.

Second, the animation is apparently superb -- very high quality stuff.

Third, the soundtrack is generally considered to be the best part of the anime. One reviewer said that he left it playing for ages JUST to hear the soundtrack.

And fourth, as mentioned, a game based on the series will be coming out. And that is looking quite good. I think that it's probably a situation where you have to take the game and the anime as one -- watch/play them both and experience the full effect.

My article is up on theOtaku.com now anyway, so for those who want to learn more...that's a good place to start. ^.^[/color][/size]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][size=1][color=#507AAC]As I mentioned, .hack//SIGN is not available in the United States yet. I'm not sure when it will be released over there though (soon I assume).[/size][/color]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually James and everyone else, .hack//Sign should be out very soon over in the US, recently on a promotional dvd given out to all the people who attend the Anime Expo in New York City the trailer to .hack//sign was shown along with a screening of the anime. According to Bandai who is producing this dvd for not only japanese but American release. Promised that .hack//Sign would be brought out here in the US somewhere in the early quarter of 2003.

As for the anime itself I've had the distinct pleasure of seeing it straight through, not an anime really based soley for it's action but animation style and plot I'd have to say .hack//Sign is a pretty solid anime with an interesting concept and plot definitely I would recommend it for people that like their animes to have interesting storylines and character development.

Also James ^_^ not trying to be a brown noser or anything but the reason the animation style is of high quailty is because its done in digital animation a new process that was first used on Blood the Last Vampire and Vampire Hunter D.

[color=#507AAC][size=1]Oh that's now brown nosing, Kevin. That's an interesting tidbit! I didn't even realize. ^.^

I will be receiving a full box-set of the Japanese version in a few days' time. So when I actually watch the series for myself, I'll be better qualified to discuss it.

But before then, I thought it would be cool to bring it up with American fans in particular...as we've both mentioned, it will be arriving in the USA shortly. It will be interesting to see how well it performs. Adam predicts that it'll be big. Hehe[/color][/size]

[color=#507AAC][size=1]That's great to hear! Despite some negative comments here and there, those who have seen the Japanese version [i]generally[/i] seem to swear by it. And that's very exciting for gamers outside Japan!

Oh and welcome to the forums Mr. Roboto. That was a great first post. ^.^[/color][/size]

All these good comments just make me want to watch it more. *goes into super ultra 'death to all who stand in my way of retrieving this video' mode* (Warning: DEATH TO ALL WHO STAND IN MY WAY!) sorry 'bout that, i just had 4 cups of soda and 2 mugs of cofee. I have way to much caffiene(sp?) at parties.

Man, all of this good talk on .hack//SIGN is very intruiging. I'm actually thinking of getting the anime when it is dubbed. I'm always open for ideas of new genres of animes that I could buy, and this is perfect with 26 episodes (I like animes with 26 episodes for some reason. It's like it is just enough time to get a good series out or something).

I looked into the game, and it sems to be coming out in February as an RPG in the PlayStation 2. I believe that I saw this before I saw this thread, since, as I said in my last post, the name really stands out.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:) Hey James I'm rather curious since you meantioned about wether or not the dvd will play for you. Umm where exactly did you purchase it from, is it a Japanese import your getting....if so most likely you will get the Hong Kong import of it which is region 0 meaning it will play in any player.

As for the show it has major potentional to be big in the US, as long as the right type of anime fans support the show. I'm sure dbz fans will sort of loathe it....though others who've seen Eva may praise it.

[color=#507AAC]Yes, I believe it's a region 0 DVD. I have a universal player though, so region isn't so important. But if I want to watch a DVD in my bedroom, I have to use my PS2...and so, that can only play my region (I think it's region 5 or something).

As for the fan base, I think you're right. I've never been a fan of Dragonball because I've always thought of it as very cliche and thin. But having seen just a little of EVA (and having talked to many EVA fans), I really think that .hack//SIGN could potentially be a hit amongst that group.

The potential complexity of characters and the whole "tech/fantasy" feel seems like a good cross over.[/color]