OtakuBoards

Treatment of "Newbies"

Armadillomon

Newbie treatment...? (Older members, please vote for one in each category!)  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Newbie treatment...? (Older members, please vote for one in each category!)

• (Newbies) I have been treated kindly by experienced members as a Newbie
    • (Newbies) I have been yelled at already by the other members
    • ("Older" members) I am nice to Newbies
    • ("Older" members) I will make a smart comment now and then towards a Newbie
    • ("Older" members) NEWBIES SHOULD BURN!!!!

:D The first thing is that nobody likes being told that they're wrong, even if they are. Something that really gets me mad is if I posted something about a certian topic and then a MEMBER, not a moderator, comes steaming in and says that I someone else already started the same topic somewhere else on the board, invariably, a part of the board that I haven't been to. another thing is that someone jumped on me for not using the spoiler tag, what I posted would depend very much upon your opinion of what a spoiler IS. And I also don't know how to use the spoiler tag, heh...

I know you can't yell when you are typing, but it's kinda like, the tone of the post, the wording etc, suggests that you are shouting.

These are isolated incidents, I have actually found that a lot of people have been willing to help me out and I actually started a topic that went on for three pages, scince on the other boards I'm on I tend to get ignored or the post drops through 200 plus pages before I've even posted it, I was really surprised, (and happy):D

The Moderators do a good job by the way.

Could someone tell me how to use the spoiler tag...? Please?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler ] [/spoiler ] without the spaces.

Not to sound rude or condeming or anything, but I've found that most members that correct other members tend to be a lot more harsh than most of the mods here ever are. It's not something that happens that often though.

[b][color=003399]Members making entire posts about how the person is breaking the rules and not keeping to the topic at all annoys me as well, even when I wasn't a moderator, as it doesn't exactly stimulate any good discussion.

I was treated nicely when I first joined, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed on OtakuBoards for so long. Even when I came back (after an absence due to a broken computer) to v3 I made the mistake of posting an introduction thread when the intro forum was just above.

Even so, I was still welcomed and people didn't exactly think differently of me because I was a "newbie".[/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Elite [/i]
[B][b][color=003399]Members making entire posts about how the person is breaking the rules and not keeping to the topic at all annoys me as well, even when I wasn't a moderator, as it doesn't exactly stimulate any good discussion.

I was treated nicely when I first joined, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed on OtakuBoards for so long. Even when I came back (after an absence due to a broken computer) to v3 I made the mistake of posting an introduction thread when the intro forum was just above.

Even so, I was still welcomed and people didn't exactly think differently of me because I was a "newbie".[/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

That is very true... I hate when people get off the topic when they can just report the stupid reply or topic, it justs makes the matter much worst.

I treat newcomers fine. They say hi or ask a question, I reply a hi or answer the question if I know it. Now that the Newbie lounge is destroyed, whenever I see a post, I just reply to it when it gets my interest. Status doesn't mean anything to me so I don't notice it. Heck it took me a while to notice some of the more common people's level. In another board, I always greet them and in another I defend them from the swarm of flamers that reside there. I was flamed once here when I joined. I just ignored them and now forgot who was it who did :-/ Some people greeted me and help me out too so I just return the favor.

I'm not too mean to newbies at all. It's newbies whose sole purpose of joining the boards is for spamming when I get angry at them, obviously. The only reason that people are tough on newbies in the first place is because they usually do all this stuff against the rules without knowing it. I don't get mad at them, I just give them a link to the rules. :)

Guest Musahi
[color=darkred]I am treated fine. But the thing is allot of "Newbies" have a better post quality than some of the "Otakus". I always find it funny when somone with 1000 posts says, "You stoopid n00b, you be breakin many rules!". Phew, and than when people threaten you, "I have been here longer than you, Apologise or DIE."

I can't find the topic anymore, I think it was deleted. *sighs* I thought it was funny. [/color]

Heck, Ive been around for a little over 2 years and am still classified as a "n00b".

I can remember my first post, saying how well somebody's Fan Fic. was, and they chewed me out. But other that that, I was treated very decent. As far as Ive seen, every newbie has been treated with respect, apart from a few members who forget there is a "Report" button in every person's post.

[color=green]i remember when i once posted 8 times in a row. yeah, and i also claimed i knew everything. and the kicker is that it was in 'trivia game: not the i know everything crap.' i wasn't bashed(even though i deserved it) and i don't remember if it was piro or tn, but they just deleated my extra 7 posts and made a note not to post more than once. i think it was very generious of him not to ban me. thanks(who ever it was).[/color]

[color=blue][size=1]I don't remember ever being treated badly or rudely on OB. You newbies who think you've been 'wronged', there are a lot of messageboards out there that treat newbies much worse than OB does.[/size][/color]

[color=#507AAC]Sara and BabyGirl are both right on this one.

Generally speaking, there is some stigma attached to newbies. People somehow get the impression that they are always shunned. And I can tell you that it's not the case here.

I am always hearing of people who mention that they are will liked and well received here. If anything, I find that regular members tend to snap at newbies much more than staff.

We have to remember that a minor violation of the rules can be corrected. Newbies will learn in time -- and some newbies end up becoming really productive members of our community.

Basically, I think most people treat newbies well. You will occasionally get someone who rudely "plays mod" or something -- but that isn't as common as you might think.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathKnight [/i]
[B][color=crimson][b]Neil[/b] [Medra]: *roasts newbies quietly, adding BBQ sauce to marinate*[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

^-^

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][color=indigo]:blulaugh:

Oh my, for all of those spiteful newbies who think staff is too harsh here, or just have ever been given a "talking to" by one. Just be glad this is not JVF (a few of you know what I am talking about). If you did something wrong there, you would have had a team of people on your case. More times than not, we were not the most polite people about it, lol. Those were some good times. ^__^ *sigh*

Here, I am generally light to the people who makes mistakes. I just simply state what they did wrong and what they should have done or such. Or if I am closing a topic, I tell them why I am doing so. It is not like I transform into a Golden Oozaru and stomp all over them (as I was notorious for doing so at JVF... that and my Attitude Adjuster). Perhaps I should add a smiley or two? So the message does not seem too harsh?[/color][/B][/QUOTE]

...[size=4]GWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!![/size] *evil smile*

In any case, I judge 'newbies' by how they act. You could have just joined two minutes ago and so far, you've had reasonibly nice posts, and then I'd act accepting towards you. Now, if you were a Forte-type person, I would obliterate you in a surge of nuclear missiles sent forth from my secret Silos near Moscow. And yes I have been playing too much Red Alert 2...O_o;;;

[quote]
[i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]

Oh my, for all of those spiteful newbies who think staff is too harsh here, or just have ever been given a "talking to" by one. Just be glad this is not JVF (a few of you know what I am talking about). If you did something wrong there, you would have had a team of people on your case. More times than not, we were not the most polite people about it, lol. Those were some good times. ^__^ *sigh*
[/quote]

Yes, those were the good ol' days...

[quote]
[i]Originally posted by DeathKnight[/i]
Neil [Medra]: *roasts newbies quietly, adding BBQ sauce to marinate*
[/quote]

Lmfao!!!

*Tries to stop laughing at the above quote and Medra's sig.*

Lmao... Anyway, As long as the n00bs don't come in starting stuff, they're okay by me... I was treated pretty well when I was a n00b, so I'm treating the n00bs well also... eventhough some don't deserve it...

Guest cloricus
[spoiler][color=#00ff00]Well I haven't bothered reading page two so I might have missed some thing.

I don't think I'd read that rules until I'd been here about a year or so and I only really read them and took note of them last time James yelled at me and told me to go read them.

As for newbies I work in several channels and forums teaching newbies "the ropes" on every thing from commands to how to act so naturally I HATE THEM AND THEY SHOULD BURN...

I always hate being a newbie at things so I normally jump in and learn as much as I can and then just slide... :P

From my experience most newbie's are stupid, every so often you get fast learners and people who can pick it up for them selves. (What I like doing.) That is why people get annoyed with them, they have to understand that it isn't them. It newbies making the same mistakes over and over again and it gets annoying...

I normally am excepting of newbies unless they are arrogant and then they get the big old -
../msg chanop/nickserv/X (and the rest? lol) ban # bye bye newbie... :P -nonexpire
I do that about six times a day.
I'm a great guy honest...
[/color][/spoiler]

Okay, who else here has problems reading cloricus's posts? Sure your new funky color scheme makes your post stand out, but gee it also makes it impossible to read, at least to me anyway. Hmm...or maybe that was the whole point? ;)

And I don't know what the other people are complaining about. I'd love to be a newbie again. So people think I'm stupid, ignorant or arrogant... and what's wrong with that? :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Armadillomon [/i]
[B]who here actually read the rules before they posted or did anything on the boards? [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=deeppink]I did. Of course, back then the rules page was about 6 sentences long and consisted of about 3 rules. :whoops:

I haven't thought of people as "newbies" in a long time. I look at everbody as regular members.

I don't get upset very often. The only people I ever get upset at are the Pokemon bashers. I do get someone irked at people who play mod, even when it's not really bad, but I don't think I've ever said anything to anybody.

Also, to all those who think newbies are treated badly now... You should have seen the Newbie War. [/COLOR]:drunk:

[COLOR=green]When I joined OtakuBoards I didn't read the rules. I had no clue what I was doing. I posted several "Replies" as new threads, and then couldn't figure out how to delete them. I added six devil smilies into every one of my posts. I never used spell check. Looking back I cringe with disgust...

I was greeted in a nice and friendly manner by many members of the OtakuBoards community, including two moderators. The fact that two moderators actually welcomed me and took time to talk to me made me feel very welcome.

When I made mistakes, I was politely corrected and never made those mistakes again. It was the polite manner of these corrections which made me respect the rules, rather than view the moderators as pouncing on me for my little mistakes.

In my opinion OtakuBoards treats it's newbies very well. I try and help out newbies if they ask for help, just like I would any other member. It is always interesting to get a Pm from someone you don't know, asking for help.

In my opinion only the newbies who are blatantly disrespectful, chronic rule breakers and those who aren't interested in becoming upstanding members of this community experience anti-newbie bias.[/COLOR]

[color=deeppink] [size=1]I try my best to be nice to newbies... ^_^

I remember when I was a newbie... >.> my post quality was terrible, yet the members were still [i]very[/i] nice to me. Even when I go back and dig up a few of my older posts, I'm actually surprised to see I never got snapped at. I would've snapped at myself, actually. @_@;

*gets out a frying pan and sits by the search button* --

Although... I have found alot of people just teasing newbies rather than 'snapping' in the chat. I've asked them multiple times, but about 2/3 have said that teasing newbies is 'fun'.

I'm strictly against those people that think teasing newbies is 'fun'. Everyone was a newbie at some point, and their post quality has never always been 'perfect' either.[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=deeppink] [size=1]

*gets out a frying pan and sits by the search button* --

[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

*grabs a dead giant wet rubber haddock and joins her*

~~~~

Yeesh, I remember when I first started RPGing here. Unlike Rae, Raven and Harlequin (lucky evil people o.O), it took me ages to actually master the art of RPGing...

Just remembering my first RPG and how badly I posted is enough to make me flame myself and dance in front of medra's nuclear silo with a giant red, glow in the dark, bullseye.

Ahem...

[size=1]and no that wasn't an invitation to dig up any quotes:shifty:[/size]

*realizes that current status is "newbie"*

OK let me explain myself.

I'm not talking about when the mods come in and politely explain that something is against the rules, as I've had that happen to me a couple of times too. What I'm referring to is when other members promote themselves to God and decide that they have the right to distort the rules however they see fit. Yes, some members who aren't mods can also be polite, but more often than not the non-mods end up attacking the poor innocent newbie.

Maybe there should be 2 levels of newbie. Let me elaborate:

[B]Brand Newbie:[/B] 0-125 posts
[B]Newbie:[/B] 126-250 posts

or something like that. As it shows in my profile and to the left of this message, I am technically still a newbie since I only have 194 posts (this makes post #195). However, I have been a member for almost a year now, and there are some members who have been here about that same length of time that have like 1500 posts, and they don't get treated like they're new. Don't get me wrong, I like the status and post counts, but I think there's too much "status profiling" going on, not only here but in several other message boards on the internet. However, I do feel that in general, OtakuBoards is the most friendly message board that I've been to.

[color=#507AAC]I don't think most people take notice of your status.

The status titles are just there for fun -- and to represent how long you've been on the boards or how active you've been. But they don't have any real meaning.

I know of quite a few "newbies" who are some of the nicest, most intelligent people on here. We were all newbies once, even me. So believe me...anyone who judges you based on a silly Internet status is behaving more like a newbie themselves. ^_^[/color]