OtakuBoards

. Hack Infection Part1

Guest Steiner

Guest Steiner
I was just wondering if anyone has seen this awesome looking game. Any of u FF freaks out thier check this game out. it looks so mad and if any of u know when it comes out in OZ can some one tel me please.

.Hack-Infection came out yesterday, February 13th. The game is similar to EverQuest since its online gaming, though you never actually go online. The story is actually pretty good.. The main character, Kite, is trying to find out why his friend, Orca, went into a coma after playing the game. Its actually quite similar to the anime, or so I'm told. The game is kind of hard during battles, since you have to fight and control the camera angels at the same time. This game is good.. I would give it a 9/10. But I suggest that you get the game only, ONLY, if you are an experienced RPGer.

There's a review of the game at gamespot

[url]http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2910529,00.html[/url]

They pretty much said its an average rpg with some nice things added to it, though they said the game is pretty short

I'll probably still get it though, since I like the anime

[color=royal blue]I've never been much of a fan of random generated dungeon games. =\ It seems like each one I come across tends to...pffft. Yeah.

Further installments? As in, spend more money? *whimper*

At least the main character Kite looks a lot more awake then some of the .hack banners and avies I've seen floating around here on the Boards. :p[/color]

I have this game for some time now but I've only played for a like 5 or 10 minutes. However I must say that this game is very cool. A game like this was never done before in RPG format so Bandai went ahead and threw all the elements a real MMORPG would have such as email, news, 'chat' with the other players online, trade and if they gave you their member addresses, you can call them to start a party anytime you want, just as long as they are logged in (like in the real world, not everyone is one 24/7). Now let me set this straight, this is an offline game but the simulation of this 'online' game is done so well that there will be times that you think its really online. The other players really chat with each other and each act in a different way. One of them is freaking insane that you'll just love them. :)

Gameplay wise, there are several things this only this game has. Since you are playing as one character, Kite, then its only natural you can only access things only one can see such as your inventory and not others since its an 'online' game. Battle engine wise, its kinda semi-realtime. When you get into battles, you can only lock on and attack targets that you see in view and range and you press the X button to attack. If someone where to be behind you, you won't be able to attack them until you swing the cammera around to lock on. What kills it though is that if you need to heal or use a special move you have to bring up the menu, which pauses the battle until you exit it. Also things can get so hectic that it may be hard to figure out whats going on. As for the Dungons. Yes they are random but it all depends on you really. To go to a dungon, you must go to a Chaos Gate in which you must choose a set of words to generate a Dungon. You pick 3 words and depending on what you choose determines if the next area is fire based, water based, if there are enemies, and what level they are at. Some of them though are given and are needed to advance in the story.

Story wise, the game is short than most RPG's, but after seeing this game in action and how much stuff they put into it I can understand why and its only the first in a 4 part game that will be released later this year 3 months apart from each other. Don't worry about wasting time leveling up and gathering items since the next game will allow you to transfer the part 1 data into part 2. Everything will be transfered, your money, items, weapons, who is in your team, levels, etc.

Finally the graphics in this game are great along the sound. Incredibily they even have a choice for Japanese and English voice overs too which can be switched at any time. I know that $50 is a pretty big price for a game that doesn't last too long but Bandai also knew this and they include the .hack//Limiality Dvd which takes places at the same time as .hack//infection but in the real world. Let me give you guys a piece of advice too, this series is confusing and I mean the entire .hack project. If you wish, you can go ahead and play this game even without watching all of .hack//Sign (this gmae is the sequel to it). However I think its best that you watch all of .hack//Sign before going on with the next chapter in .hack. That way you'll be more aware of what is going on. Also do not watch .hack///Dusk either (or .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet for those who have access to imported anime)which is the sequel to the PS2 games. It will spoil alot of things for you if you haven't seen Sign or played the PS2 games.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it wasn't good as I expected. There are quite a few technical flaws. The battles could use some work. I love that they are fast paced and furious, but they don't feel as tight and the camera is a real problem. The dungeons can also be repetitive sometimes. It's pretty much just searching from room to room hoping you will find the final treasure chest.

The story is very good so far with many interesting characters and lots of twists and turns.

The character designs are also just amazing, Sadamoto is one of my favorite character designers. He can take the simplist design and make it creative.

The best part of the game is how the online world is pulled off. It really makes you feel like you're in the game. You receive e-mails at random times, trade with players, change servers etc. It's all very convincing and it supplies the perfect atmosphere.

So anyways it's a fun but flawed experience. I'm only about 10 hours into it, so I might just be absolutely blown away as the game progresses.

[size=1][color=darkblue]I've not played this game, and I don't really want to either, as I'm not a huge RPG fan, but it does seem popular. There are a lot of avatars and banners floating around, all to do with these games. All you have to do is look, and you'll see it's popularity on Otaku.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jarjarblinks [/i]
[B]I love this game. So good. Though it does get annoying when you have to hack gates. Grrrr, takes to much time. O well. I just wish I had enough money to buy it. Grrr, living in Canada stinks sometimes. dishing out $80 for one game.:( [/B][/QUOTE]

:laugh:HAHAHAHAHA:laugh:...$80 for a game...:laugh:HAHAHAHA:laugh:...i mean i feel your pain..That's pretty unlucky.

Regards
Blade:naughty:

[color=red]Hmmm I don't really know much about this game, but I have also observed its popularity among the boards! Is it a T.V program in the States? I will probably check this game out is it comes over to England or well just read reviews on it. I haven't heard anything on it as yet.

Blade you shouldn't laugh at other people's misfortunes Tut Tut, but I myself am concerned on why you have to pay that much for a game could you please explain. I know the Canadian Dollar is different to the American, but wouldn't that be closer to the English pound therefore being [b]alot[/b]of money to be paying for a game!?! Hmm did you import it?

P.S Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this game or about it altogether! V_V[/color]

Hopefully this is the game I'm getting from my mom for my birthay on March 18th. I want this game because I loved the .hack//SIGN series, and I'm pretty sure this game will be just as good as the anime.

I think from reading other posts, I think you know when there released. Since this game has three volumes, I should get all three, then beat 'em. And if they don't come out the same time, which I know they don't. I'll have to buy one at a time. Just a little hint on the release date.

Hopefully this game'll be a big hit. I'm sure not a lot of kids will get it, due to the Mature Sexual Themes, so there's a cut-off. As well as the Volumes, I'm sure people will buy it and get not even half-way and they'll say it's to long. Those are the two things I'm worrying about.

Anime's not a big thing where I live. Mostly it's the sports games that rule. Some RPG Zelda games, and Final Fantasy X. What's ruling now where I live is NBa: Street, and stuff. I don't see a lot of people buy LOTR: The Fellowship of the Rings since the game is so long. These are the cons, and the pros are...

THe charcter design. They are plainly amazing, and the gameplay. From what I read, this game has the most and longest gameplay, but the best, ever. I'm sure there are more on other games, but that's what they said. I'm just saying what I've read. I'm not doing playdrisim though, there not even close to word by word. This is what I think for how it's going to be.

I'm sure the Battle-System is going to be new and great. I know two or three people that'll buy this because of the .hack//SIGN series, and there's another pro, anime makes big hit on Cartoon Network, and that makes people buy .hack Infection. Now I think this game'll be interesting because your inside the game world. It sounds cool. Let's hope it is.

Wooh, I'm out. That is all of the information I have right now, hopefully I'll read more and give you some more information. I'll check to see if it's in stores here. I hope it is by March 16th or 17th. This is what I want for my birthday. Kinda sliding off-topic.

So, I'll check around for more information. Right now like I said this is all I have, so I hope you liked it, and if you just want to read it out of a magazine you can get Gamepro, or GamingNetwork. So, there's the magazines I get my information from.

I had an extra fifty bucks laying around and I decided to buy it thinking I wouldn't like it but it would give me something to do when I was bored.

Man was I wrong...

I absolutely love the game and I'm getting pretty close to the end, the movies are great and the lip-sinc is pretty acurate for both English and Japanese voiceovers (spare the small cutscenes where their mouths don't even move at all).

The only setback is having to level up before going into a high level area, or finding virus cores to get into protected areas (wich I'm doing as of late).

All in all I think bandai did a good job I only hope the excitement for the .hack series will stay long enough for them to keep shelling out the games.

Guest AntenAssassin
Infection is my favorite RPG right now the only problem is you can beat it in about 15 hours even with side quests, but im a fan of action RPG's and this one entertains me by hitting random doungen when I'm on a low level :devil:

Well I picked it up yesterday. I haven't started it yet, but I hope it'll be great. It cam out March 18th here I think, I don't pay attention to release dates.

Here's a quote from gamepro:

"...and you thought Everquest was good?"

So according to gamepro, it surpassed Everquest. It must be pretty good, because from the reviews I read for Everquest, it was awesome. I'm going to play this game when I get home from school.

Guest Watinabe
Anten was accurate on the arival of mutation, I have played a little of it and like it so far but I have a feeling it could get tiresome waiting for the next one and growing borde of the first.

[color=crimson]First, Everquest sucks ***. The worst overhyped piece of crap that I have ever seen was that stupid game I wasted 2 weeks trying to enjoy.

Secondly, this game is great- But the story is somewhat medicore after playing through only 6 hours of Xenosaga. The battle system is good, but sometimes it seems your opponents luck out a bit more than they should =)

Its extremely easy to get equipment, not that i'm complaining- Just stateing that for anyone who wants a challenge in getting good weapons and armor, lol.[/color]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]I haven't played it yet, but I've been watching people play it at the Sony Metreon for a while.

The graphics look amazing. I really enjoy the graphics in the game, and the brightful-ness of the characters. There's always people playing it though, so I've never been able to get my hands on it yet. >>;

But then... I need to get a playstation first if I'm going to buy .Hack. - .-;[/color] [/size]

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I've played it, but I have to disagree with most of you and say that the graphics are nothing more than plain. Locations are too alike, and the level of detail is quite disappointing in the environments. At least the characters look great.

If you want a good-looking PS2 game, play [b]Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner[/b]. Now THOSE visuals are jaw dropping.

As for the gameplay, it's likeable. I haven't gotten much into it, yet. I was busy playing Metroid Prime, and now I'm busy playing Wind Waker.[/color][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
Well....
it's not the best graphics i've seen, but it is pretty good.
I think the game is better
and it's even better that it's only 1 of 4
and it comes with a DVD.
I'm really far in the game but I'm at a stuck point
it's right at the part that i got to kill the guy wlth "The
Red Wand".:wigout: