Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Well Which do you prefer?

Radio does introduce you to the music but: Overplays, over commercializes, over plays-crap-you-don't-want-to-hear, and sometimes is just plain annoying.

CD's allow better quality and more song choice but: You can't afford to buy everything you like, You can't just get the newest music this way (other than word of mouth, or magazine, etc.)

or do you take the Illegal oO! Third way out...Burn downloaded music on CDR's.

BTW I meant to make a poll, but accidentally didn't -_-
Posted
Radio hasn't introduced me to anything new in 5 years. Most of what is played on it, I don't want to hear. Even though I listen to only the classic rock station at this point, I still somehow manage to hear whatever is popular about 1,000 times over anyway.

I simply buy what I'm hearing good word of mouth about on the internet or in real life... Sometimes I go to the store and randomly buy a CD with good cover art or a nice title (I did this with Thrill Kill Kult, and many others). Sure, that's hit or miss... But I enjoy doing it lol. I don't rely on the radio to give me music, I go and find it in any way that works. I generally have some idea of what type of music the band is though (and art, titles and band names usually fit certain genres).

There are so many wonderful bands and CDs the radio never plays anyway... so I wind up hearing most of what I like first myself anyway. At this point, I couldn't care less what local radio plays.

I wouldn't mind being involved with something where I could get some of the stuff I love to listen to out a little more. For a city as large as Chicago, you think we'd have more diverse stations, but we don't.

There was a time when we had 4 oldies stations one right after another. Luckily, only 2 survived. We have 2 soft rock stations, 3 FM talk stations, about 4 pop-mix stations, a hip-hop R&B station, one classic/new rock station and one alternative station.

I'd say only 3 or so of these actually do what they do well. No one plays anything remotely unique here. There is no station that plays punk outside of mallpunk like New Found Glory. The classic rock station plays more Nirvana than the alternative station, and even that's very little. One of the mix stations plays "techno," but it's the kind of crap people can play in their basement on a computer with no real knowledge - it sucks. No one station here plays anything heavy or industrial. The alternative station dabs into Korn and Disturbed, but no thanks.

So in closing: The radio still sucks.


Edit - Fixed my spelling.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Radio hasn't introduced me to anything new in 5 years. Most of what is played on it, I don't want to hear. Even though I listen to only the classic rock station at this point, I still somehow manage to hear whatever is popular about 1,000 times over anyway.

I simply buy what I'm hearing good word of mouth about on the internet or in real life... Sometimes I go to the store and randomly buy a CD with good cover art or a nice title (I did this with Thrill Kill Kult, and many others). Sure, that's hit or miss... But I enjoy doing it lol. I don't rely on the radio to give me music, I go and find it in any way that works. I generally have some idea of what type of music the band is though (and art, titles and band names usually fit certain genres).

There are so many wonderful bands and CDs the radio never plays anyway... so I wind up hearing most of what I like first myself anyway. At this point, I couldn't care less what local radio plays.

I wouldn't mind being involved with something where I could get some of the stuff I love to listen to out a little more. For a city as large as Chicago, you think we'd have more diverse stations, but we don't.

There was a time when we had 4 oldies stations one right after another. Luckily, only 2 survived. We have 2 soft rock stations, 3 FM talk stations, about 4 pop-mix stations, a hip-hop R&B station, one classic/new rock station and one alternative station.

I'd say only 3 or so of these actually do what they do well. No one plays anything remotely unique here. There is no station that plays punk outside of mallpunk like New Found Glofy. The classic rock station plays more Nirvana than the alternative station, and even that's very little. One of the mix stations plays "techno," but it's the kind of crap people can play in their basement on a computer with no real knowledge - it sucks. No one station here plays anything heavy or industrial. The alternative station dabs into Korn and Disturbed, but no thanks.

So in closing: The radio still sucks. [/B][/QUOTE]

agreed ^^ I don't listen to the radio at all. And not playing much Nirvana...WHAT THE JUNK-MONKEY! *explodes*
Posted
I hate the radio they play so much b/s!!!!I hear about music from my homies and then download the songs and burn.:)They don't play any good hip hop songs on the radio all you hear is ja rule or cash money and god knows i cant stand that music:MAD: I like the real hip hop that's about lyrics and skills not money and diamonds.:mad:And with alternative music the same problem! So i would have to say radio is whack!!!:D
Posted
[color=darkblue]Well, let's put it this way. The classic rock station has the only music worth listening to, & even that doesn't have a very good selection. Now, if only my tape player wouldn't keep playing things in fast-mo.

So, my car sucks.[/color]
Posted
Well, I only listen to the radio in my car. I've found that, no matter what station you're listening to, you're going to end up with what's called "The Basic 6 Combo." The same 6 songs seem to play over and over all day. This is an example of what I hear when I listen to the radio for an hour...

Generic Song A
Generic Song B
Generic Song C
Generic Song D
Good Song
Generic Song E
Generic Song F
Good Song
Generic Song C
Generic Song A
Generic Song C
Good Song
Generic Song C

I've gone through pop stations, rap stations, easy listening stations, and 'ol school soul/R&B stations, and they're all like this. I'm willing to bet rock stations are the exact same. Confirmation, anyone?

Yeah, so I prefer CD's and MP3s to the radio. Unfortunately, my car only has a cassette player (and I really hate recording my CDs onto tape), so I listen to a lot of FM radio while on the road.
Posted
Yeah, I am actually proud to say I found a good radio station;JJJ
They play a huge mix of alternative music, it's so damn cool. The only advertising on there is communnity based and actually has things that you are interested in.
Still, regardless, no radiostation could equal cd's. Because I always get what I want with my collection.
Posted
simply put, i do not listen to the radio.

1.i dont like what is played.
2. i dont like somebody trying to convice me that i should like what is played.
3.i play music based on emotion. radio does not coincide with my emotional state.
4.the only way a song gets overplayed is if i overplay it. when i get tired of hearing a song, i stop. the radio doesnt.

i think that about covers it.
Posted
[color=red][size=1][font=arial]I stick to the radio, since I can't afford to buy every CD that comes out. I listen to the radio for the songs I like, and if there's a couple I hear that are pretty good, I'll buy the CD. As for MP3's and downloadable media, my comp can't handle it.

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]
Posted
[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Well, I really, really loved the Radio when I lived in Galveston. In Galveston, you didn't really need CD's. oO; There was a mix channel that [i]everybody[/i] listened to, and to me, it's the best music station. ^^

It had a really great mix, with alternative, rock, techno/dance, pop, hip-hop, R&B, and a evenly sorted lowstream and highstream bands playing all the time. ^_^ The shows at 9:00 were hilarious, too. Usually, I can't stand radio shows, but this one had like, where they would scramble up seven songs. They'd play one second of the song, and you had to guess them.

Also, they had 'Make your momma cuss'. It was where you prank-called your mom, and tried to make her cuss. ^_^;;

I didn't really have to buy any CD's until I moved to San Fran... Most of the radio stations here are either all metal, all rap, all techno, or Sheryl Crow-ish songs.

Since I prefer a variety of music, I finally got my Kazaa to work! ^^ I think I downloaded around 37 mp3's during the first day. o.o;[/color] [/size]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jesus Chicken [/i]
[B]Yeah, I am actually proud to say I found a good radio station;JJJ
They play a huge mix of alternative music, it's so damn cool. The only advertising on there is communnity based and actually has things that you are interested in. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Same here for me. The only downside is that they only play music continually on Saturday and Sunday. They play talk shows all during the week and about one song per hour. But I really like the stuff they play on there. Even though most of the time it's the same songs every hour, it's still the same songs that I want to hear. ^_^ So I'm happy with it.

But during the week, I always listen to my CDs. I just like being able to pick out whatever I want to here. Now I own just about every CD I ever wanted and loved so I am quite satisfied. I don't really get into new music. I'm still stuck back in the early 90's... ^_^[/color][/size]
Guest cloricus
Posted
JJJ all the way.
But they also play crap songs...
I like listening to the radio; you hear real people?s voices. Not just the ones on the songs. Hmm.

Anyway I like them all.

Eps - W00t m34n m9e?
Guest Watinabe
Posted
I listen to 97 rock it playes some of the songs that aren't out on cd yet so I'm happy with it @_@ and if I like the song I download it from the net.
Guest Watinabe
Posted
Putting a cd in my stereo bothers me either letting it repeat the disc over and over makes me get sick of it and letting it play through and stop seems to short and I dont like putting in another disc so I just let the radio blair.
Guest cloricus
Posted
Also, if you don't like commercials try at about twoish in the morning on your local station.

I know here if I'm up that late I switch to the "graveyard shift" on C Fm. It's basically this cool guys favourite mix/songs because he doesn't think any one is listening and if they are that they are leaving town and will be out of range soon anyway. No ads and its good songs for about five hours straight, or longer. (I'm normal smashed by the time his show finishes...)

Juu see if you can get a stream to that other radio station.

Eps - Mmm radio.
Posted
[color=indigo]I like the radio in the morning when the talkies are on. I usually find those quite entertaining (plus they introduced me to the Toast song), especially when comedians are on.

I used to love the classic rock stations, however, it seems as though many of them play nonstop Rush, Styx and Skynryd (I like LS, but the radio beat Gimmie Three Steps into my head three two many times). I still tune in, but only when I am out of CD's.[/color]
Posted
Another one of my main gripes with the radio is that all of the stations I listen to all go on a 5-minute commercial break (00:55) 55 minutes after every hour, so I have to endure 5 straight minutes of commercials.
Posted
I perfer the CDs because it would have all the music i would like and not to many comercials!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...