OtakuBoards

Anime vs. Manga

eleanor

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Well since basically they are the same medium I perfer both anime and mangas. Most mangas start out as a manga and then turn into animes and also vice versa. So pretty much they all eventually become the same thing.

[FONT=arial]this one's a toughie. I really can't say. here's the good parts to both sides that I could come up with.

for manga:
- it's a LOT cheaper
- you get all of the story that was left out in its anime counterpart
- the drawings are usually prettier/more detailed

for anime:
- sounds, music, voice acting
- you get to see the action sequences *big advantage, imo*

it would depend on the series was also. I prefer the Fushigi Yuugi, Evangelion, and Kare Kano anime to the manga, but I prefer the Marmalade Boy, Inu-Yasha, and Kodomo no Omocha manga to the anime. [/FONT]

i preffer manga, the story is more detailed (in the ones i have seen that is) the voice acting doesnt disturb me because i dont c it in english and all japanese sound the same lol, the drawings are much better, but you cant compete the two of those, each one depends on the series and her creators.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I used to hate manga and prefer anime more, but now it has been the other way around. Well, I don't hate anime, but you know what I mean.

Lately I've been getting more into manga. It's so much more detailed and the storyline is usually much deeper. The characters are so beautiful and even though they are not in color, it doesn't even matter. I mean sure, anime is great and wonderful, but there's just something about manga that I really like.

Also, with manga, I can pick it up and read it whenever I like. You can't just sit down and watch anime in the middle of school or something. ^_^[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]Also, with manga, I can pick it up and read it whenever I like. You can't just sit down and watch anime in the middle of school or something. ^_^[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]I agree. ^^
That's the good thing about manga. You can always carry it around. ^^
When I go on a long plane trip, I always take one of my mangas, and it keeps me company for a while.

I don't watch too much TV anyway, so I don't really watch it very often. Alot of anime just annoys me with the voice acting, though. Especially DBZ. Bleck. >>;[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=ff00cc] [size=1]I don't watch too much TV anyway, so I don't really watch it very often. Alot of anime just annoys me with the voice acting, though. Especially DBZ. Bleck. >>;[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]*Laughs madly* Heh, everyone is annoyed by DBZ. Especially me.

I agree. I don't like to watch much TV anymore. I haven't watched an anime video in a LONG TIME. I got a video for Christmas and I finally watched it the other day. That's how I've been. TV is so blah...I just catch a movie every now and then. Watched Shallow Hal today. It was pretty cool.[/color][/size]

I've always prefered manga, and always will. I have some basic reasons.[list]
[*]Anime kind of forces certain voices and personalites onto established manga characters, and often they are far, far different than I'd like or expect. I'd much rather imagine my own.
[*]Oftentimes, anime based on manga is completely changed... Or they take like one aspect of the manga and base the anime on that (mostly in films). Stuff like Akira, Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell are so much better in their manga forms in my opinion because of all that is removed or changed. Often it's mostly at the expense of character development.
[*]You can go at your own pace. This is especially important for the more complex stuff. Sometimes I like to really go over a panel or a text area in manga, and in anime that's obviously impossible. It all just happens.
[*]It's cheaper, as mentioned. So many places make you pay $24 to $30 for 3 freaking episodes (and no, I refuse to buy HK bootlegs, so don't mention them). And thanks to Toykopop's variety of $10 manga, other companies seem to be following suit.
[/list]

So that's the the simple version of all that.

Yeah, mangas are also good, but I'm a really big fan for music, so I guess that's why I prefer anime so much. Oh yeah, saiyan_enforcer, I have no idea what oro means! ::sweatdrops:: I just hear him say it all the time in the japanese language version, and the subtitles don't show up either.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by saiyan_enforcer [/i]
[B]Oh, and, what does "ORO" mean? [/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by anime_gurl [/i]
[B]I have no idea what oro means![/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, I think I can tell you.... "oro" means the equivilent of "uh" or "eh" - They won't sub it becuase it's not really a word as such... more of a "sound"...

And as for the anime/manga debate I think I'm more of an anime fan. I suppose it's because I like to hear voices and the expressions on the most part. And I like listening for how they do the dubbing in the different languages and so on... That kind of thing interests me a lot. Like, in Evangelion, the English language (as far as I know) is the only language that has Asuka throwing random words of German at people. Apart from the German language track of course... *sweatdrop* ^_^

So yeah, anime all the way ^_^!

I prefer manga over anime. I find that in manga the artwork is more crisp and better looking. Reading manga lets you use your imagination, since it lets you decide what the characters sound like, instead of having some crappy voice artist.

Another thing in manga is that they expand on certain story lines. Take the Akira manga for example. In the manga the boy Akira was still alive in the underground government facility, while in the movie he was nothing but a bunch of organs in jars. I understand that they couldn't put everything that was in the manga in the movie, but that was a key part of the story. These types of differences can be seen in many manga's that have been turned into anime.

I like manga better. reason because you are getting the full story with nothing cut out or some re-made story.The Yu-Gi-Oh manga is my main reason because there is a different story other than the cards and tournaments.

It depends on the series, but the majority of the time I perfer manga, -_o; wait now that I think of it, I'd like to say I perfer manga, but manga is still life, anime is animated. Animation is essentially the next step up from a Manga. So errr I guess in all honesty I have no preference >.>'.

Depends on the series. If the series can't be brought to life through the manga, than the anime is better. But Mangas are [B]always[/B] more violent than their anime counterparts, so if you're into violence, go for manga. If you're into filler go with the anime. If you're into hearing, and seeing things move, go with the anime. But be careful because of filler. Also anime can sometimes seriously change things like in Rurouni Kenshin. The anime and manga have two totally different endings since the final ending in Kenshin in the anime is filler.

That's true but the true ending to Kenshin is revealed in the OVA Seisouhen :P. It was quite dissapointing though how the manga and anime stray from one another, the first time through when I watched the series completly I was reading fanscanned manga aswell -_o; it makes for a nice comparison, but not just with Kenshin, with any anime.