Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I finally saw this, I've been meaning to for quite sometime. First of all, I was really impressed by the Animation. I mean, 1988? It looks cleaner and better than most Animes you'd see today (It was the Special Edition DVD though--Enhanced picture quality).

While the story was really confusing (I still don't quite get it), and there was ample violence (And it only fetched an MA15 rating?), I think the reviewers were right when they said it's 'a Masterpiece'.

So, who else here shares my thoughts?
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
I just watched it last months on the action channel and i feel the same way it was a great movie the story line was well put together and the animation was real tight!And i taught the same it looked real good for a 1988 movie.:D
Posted
I saw it on the Action Channel as well, but I knew it was supposed to be good so I taped it. :)

I was really impressed with the movie. I heard that it was a great classic, and after watching it, I agree wholeheartedly. I just couldn't believe how it went from biker gangs to something along the lines of Dragonball Z. o.o' But I liked how they did it -- they didn't draw out action scenes, and the power wasn't as big as power in the Freeza saga, which was good because it's not like they could blow up the entire universe by shooting blasts out of their hands.

The art is next to fanatastic as well, especially for it's time era. That really helped tie the movie together beautifully, a movie that's a pure classic and will always be remembered.
Posted
Well, I saw it, but I wasnt too impressed, the animation was good, but I got bored ahlf way through. Apart from the killing and the blood and so on, it wasn't that great IMO. The only thing I liked was the ending.
Posted
[color=hotpink][size=1]When I saw it, I was five or six years old, it was about 2 or 3 in the morning, and I was standing in front of the bright TV screen in the pitch black house.

All I wanted was to find some cartoons to watch when I couldn't sleep...

And that was my first MEMORABLE experience of an anime. I can't even remember what happened because that was about ten years ago, but I've been meaning to watch it again.[/color][/size]
Posted
One of the oldest and one of the greatest anime ever made.
The Animation was pretty impressive for it's time as stated earlier. In order to really understand the movie u have to read the Manga's.

-S.W
Posted
I saw Akira 12:05 this morning. I found it to be a really good movie . However at certain parts, I got a little lost. I always seem to get a little lost. Anyway, I enjoyed the action in the movie. I loved the fighting and the plot but I found the ending kinda sad.
Posted
Classic anime, of course.

I like the manga too.. ^ volumes, over 2000 pages of violent, drug filled, bloody, insanely...[b]insane[/b] goodness. *drools*

It's the only manga my brother likies. e hates pretety much all anime, except for that.

I've never seen the whole movie...

AND NOW THE NEW, SPECIAL SUPER EXTRAVAGANT SOUND VERSION HAS COME OUT!! W007!!! *ahem* Yeah. I'ma buy that.... :bluesweat
Posted
Akira is a great movie!!
I think it was the first good anime i saw in my life. I was like ten years old, and i was in a friend's house. Well, while i was watching the movie, i throw up.... it must be because that day i was really sick....
A few months ago, i got the chance to see it again, and i was shoked.
I mean, 1988? This movie is still better than a lot of today's new animes!!
Posted
Yeah i bought the SE DVD awhile back and it was amazing. The animation is incredible even after all this time.

I just recently started reading the original manga and it blows the anime out of the water. One should really read it to get a proper perspective and knowledge when watching the anime.

Kinda like you should read the book before you see the movie :p
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]

And that was my first MEMORABLE experience of an anime. I can't even remember what happened because that was about ten years ago, but I've been meaning to watch it again.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Akira IS a very memorable movie, not only due to its epic length but also because of the amount of stuff that goes on- texts and subtexts etc.
I would definitely reccomend watching it again if you get the chance. I have seen it many times now, and it only gets better with each viewing.

(sorry if I typed any errors here- this is my first attempt at sending a message!)

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] The manga series is pretty good. Addictive too.
Although they left out a lot of stuff from the books and changed some of the story, the anime movie still stays true to the main story. It still keeps that whole "energy", if ya get me.


Hey "blackgatomon".

What's '8-bit theater'?
Is it an anime series?

[color=teal][size=1]Welcome to OtakuBoards! Be aware that we do not allow double posts, so be more careful in the future. :) -Syk3[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]8-bit theater is an online comic strip made by the very talented Brian Clevinger. It revolves around the mayhem and mishaps of the characters from the NES game Final Fantasy. I highly reccomend it, and if you'd like to read it, go to [url]www.nuklearpower.com[/url] . -Flash[/SIZE]
Posted
I saw Akira, (my library had a copy, cool!), and I liked most of it. In fact, only one thing hampered my enjoyment of the movie: Tetsuo's voice was the exact same as Tai's from Digimon. I know that's stupid, but I knew that voice as nothing but Tai for three years...
Posted
[color=indigo]As I have stated many times before, Akira was my first exposure to anime (besides Robotech in the mid-eighties), and I immediatly fell in love the the genre. Akira is such a versitle anime. It has a very involved Sci-fi plot yet they go in depth into charecterization. And the ainimation, boy oh boy, for the time this was as crisp as they came...Akira is almost Disneyesque in clarity.[/color]
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
(awaits banning notice)
I didn't find it all that great. It was boring at times and usually dumb. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed aspects of it and liked some of the characters. It has many ground breaking things about it but i don't enjoy much of it. I hate the character designs but then again i also hate precious moments things and they seem to have much in common with the characters (big heads). The ending i thoroughly enjoyed. The beginning scenes and scenes when they ride their bikes with the city like a big back drop against the sky i liked. The story has too many gaps for me to say i like it. So i have been planning for awhile to read the manga. I always hear people go on about how good it is and always feel i am missing out.

Now with the Akira DTS around the corner i feel even more inadequate. I guess i just have a diffrent opinion then all of Otakuboards.
Posted
don't even say that. If CN ever showed it i can only imagine the horrible cutting. They would probably cut the only parts i enjoyed about it. Some things should never see CN. I already shudder at the fact they are considering GITS man machine interface.
Posted
It's actually Stand Alone Complex... It's its own show and isn't really based on GitS2 (which would be Man Machine Interface... it's getting it's own movie, but no show). I've seen some of the series, and I can't see much in it to cut out honestly. It's nearly all talking and honestly rather boring... And this is coming from someone that loved the original manga to death.
Posted
I can see it now

**Akira on the toonami lineup**

its only 1 minute

and the only thing they'd show is.......AKIRA!!!

then its over LOL
Posted
It would be horrible if they put Akira on toonami. It would ruin the whole thing. I am already mad about what they did to Yu Yu Haksho. They sure know how to kill good anime.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G.D. Ryoko [/i]
[B]It would be horrible if they put Akira on toonami. It would ruin the whole thing. I am already mad about what they did to Yu Yu Haksho. They sure know how to kill good anime. [/B][/QUOTE]
Ok, ok, enough with the Cartoon Network bashing you guys. We've had quite enough of that in this thread, much less this whole forum. The conversation goes no where, and a lot of you (note: [i]a lot[/i] of you, not all) started watching anime there in the first place, so you should be praising them rather than hating them. Any more posts on this subject will be deleted.
Posted
I actually didn't enjoy watching it very much after the motor cycles that bad A** red one was my fav (wish I had one) the Animation was impressive about one frame under Disney but I'd rather go with Sprigen for the little white guys;)
  • 1 month later...
Posted
I didn't see any other Akira threads.

[color=green]
I am slow with some of my Anime movies...but I finally had the chance to watch Akira in Japanese and English.
I LOVED IT!!!
Akira has to be one of the best Anime EVER.
The art....or the art of it's time is just amazing. Such wonderfun detail and color shouldn't be taken for granted.
The English dubbing was alright, but of course, I still like the Japanese version better. One thing about watching the DVD in Japanese really surprised me: I could almost totally understand everything. I didn't have the subtitles on either!
;P
Anyway, I'm sure most of you have seen Akira. How do you feel about the movie?

BTW: Akira means 'bright' if you don't already know. (I knew that by heart! I'm so proud!) *self praise...*><;[/color]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...