OtakuBoards

Yaoi/shonen-ai: what's the attraction?

Utena_Tenjou

First I would like to clear up a few things-

[B]Yaoi: Explicit sexual relationships between men
Shounen ai: Translates into 'boys love.' Love stories between men.
Yuri: Explicit sexual relationships between women
Shoujo ai: Love stories between women.[/B]

I did not make this thread to offend anyone, I just want to know if anyone else is a fan.

Oh and, please shre the yaoi animes you've seen ^^

I've seen:
Gravitation(Shonen Ai)
Yami no Matseui(Shonen Ai)
Fake(Yaoi)
Utena the Movie(Yuri)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't like much of shounen ai types of anime. I still feel uncomfortable when watching them.

But gotta agree with Yami no Matsuei. Gawd the plot was so dark and twisted that it kept me interested for the whole series (even though it's just 13 episodes). Muraki's character is so twisted that he should be nominated as the best villan of the year.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Def_Kun [/i]
[B]I personally don't like much of shounen ai types of anime. I still feel uncomfortable when watching them.

But gotta agree with Yami no Matsuei. Gawd the plot was so dark and twisted that it kept me interested for the whole series (even though it's just 13 episodes). Muraki's character is so twisted that he should be nominated as the best villan of the year. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm only on the 8th episode, but it's kept me intrested so far, I always get addicted to twisted and screwed up anime, I started watching it for the Shonen Ai, but now I just like it.
Muraki..creeps me out, I don't like him >_<
I still say Tsuzuki would go much better together with Hisoka n_n

[color=crimson][size=1]I only like guy on guy, and only to a certain extent. They both have to be really SEXY anime guys. Like, um, Shinji and Kaworu, or Hotohori and Nuriko, or Heero and Duo, or...um, I don't know, I could make up some interesting couples. Oh YES, and Touga and Saonji.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=crimson][size=1]I only like guy on guy, and only to a certain extent. They both have to be really SEXY anime guys. Like, um, Shinji and Kaworu, or Hotohori and Nuriko, or Heero and Duo, or...um, I don't know, I could make up some interesting couples. Oh YES, and Touga and Saonji.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Er..aren't Kaworu and Shinji like 12 though?
(I havn't seen Evangelion, just heard about the shonen ai in it)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Utena_Tenjou [/i]
[B]I'm only on the 8th episode, but it's kept me intrested so far, I always get addicted to twisted and screwed up anime, I started watching it for the Shonen Ai, but now I just like it.
Muraki..creeps me out, I don't like him >_<
I still say Tsuzuki would go much better together with Hisoka n_n [/B][/QUOTE]

What!!! Muraki was the greatest character in that series. Let me rephrase that. HE IS THE SERIES!!! hehehehe.....

But I didn't like Tsuzuki and Hisoka's relationship. Besides the point that they're yaoi, neither of them has that strong presence. If Tsuzuki's gonna get hitched with a man then I'd prefer him going with the secretary (forgot his name. The one with the eyeglasses).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Def_Kun [/i]
[B]What!!! Muraki was the greatest character in that series. Let me rephrase that. HE IS THE SERIES!!! hehehehe.....

But I didn't like Tsuzuki and Hisoka's relationship. Besides the point that they're yaoi, neither of them has that strong presence. If Tsuzuki's gonna get hitched with a man then I'd prefer him going with the secretary (forgot his name. The one with the eyeglasses). [/B][/QUOTE]

But Muraki's a phycho path..

And if Tsuzuki couldn't go with Hisoka, what about the scientist guy?

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:rolleyes: Sigh, sorry those type of genres really don't interest me at all. Its very hard to watch an anime with those elements in it. I'm not one for explict content and some may argue its art. But I find that if any anime wether it be Yaoi, Yuri or hentai is not art but smutt. Sorry if I offend anyone by that comment. I just don't like those type of things in my anime shows/movies.

;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by VP-Master [/i]
[B]I just find those kind of anime sick. There are quite a lot of people who watch these anime genres so my question is Why do you guys like these kind of shows? Maybe there's something good about it that I haven't seen or heard of... [/B][/QUOTE] \

Like I said earlier, I didn't make this thread to offend people, it's pretty much the storyline that usually attracts people to the anime isn't it? To me, it doesn't matter what gender it is, as long as it's got a good storyline, and so far, all the shonen ai/soujo ai stuff I've seen has had an excellent storyline.(Especially Yami no Matsuei)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by amiboshi [/i]
[B]I finally got to see Gravitation and I love it! It's so funny! Okay, I've only seen 2 episodes, but I can't wait to see the rest! It's so hilarious... [/B][/QUOTE]

Gravitation is hillarious..but wait until you get to the later episodes n_n

I love Suichi and Ryuichi..there both so kawaii.

• 6 months later...
Okay *cackles* I just wanted to post a list of the shounen-ai/yaoi animes i've seen..in hopes to start a conversation..or uhh summat X_x

"Gravitation"

"Fake" (I just saw this yesterday ^__^ Oh how im hooked, if i could of skipped school to watch it..i would have ^__^)

"Yami no matsuei" (Okay..so maybe not, but i swear its implied!! TSUZUKI/HISOKA FOREVER!!)

"Kizuna" (did i spell that right?..*dies* i only got this yesterday..and only seen like 30mins of it O_o..it was 3am! but anyway! ahh!! Enjoji kicks!! Im not sure how many people have seen this tho)

oh! and i have pairings too ^_^ 3x4!! (TrowaxQautre) one of my many beloved and cherished pairings ^_^ also KaworuxShinji ^__^

I have yet to see any shoujou-ai/Yuri X_x!! I DID have some Utena episodes though..i should still have them O_o..but that wasnt that shoujou-ai-ish to me..maybe it gets more deeper later or summat..can anyone tell me if it does? *looks curious*

*dies* well thats it..im supposed to be doing my work..so uhh..yeah! *runs away cackling before shes caught by a teacher* Jaa!
mwhaha!! Yay for Shounen/shoujou ai!!! share the love people!! ^____^

Guest Imsirion
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G.D. Ryoko [/i]
[B]I never saw those kind of anime but I heard some were kind of sick. However I don`t mean to be rude or anything but is it true what they say about Quatre and Trowa? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hentai (thats what your refering to right? Some people like to argue things like yaoi and whatnot are not hentai because they belive there diffrent in some way, but we won't get into that.) can be very sick.

The Quatre and Trowa thing I'm pretty sure is just generated from fan girl's doujinshi.

Though,the closest thing I've seen is Junk Boy which is a corny,soft hentai comedy. (Or at least it kept me amused ^^;)

(And I wont count all the times I've mistakenly come across hentai/doujinshi pics :rolleyes: )

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imsirion [/i]
[B](And I wont count all the times I've mistakenly come across hentai/doujinshi pics :rolleyes: ) [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Yeah, do they even make doujinshi without including hentai? Maybe I was misinformed on the definition of "doujinshi", but I always thought that it meant "Fan made manga." Bah, there is too many perverted Otakus out there.

As far as Yaoi couples go, Shinji+Kaworu will always be my favorite.

-Shy[/size]

Guest Imsirion
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][size=1]Yeah, do they even make doujinshi without including hentai? Maybe I was misinformed on the definition of "doujinshi", but I always thought that it meant "Fan made manga." Bah, there is too many perverted Otakus out there.
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is fan made manga. Not all of it is hentai but most of it is. I think doujinshi is pretty popular, because at Japanese comic markets, they have sections dedicated to it. (or at least from the good ones)

[B]Hentai (thats what your refering to right? Some people like to argue things like yaoi and whatnot are not hentai because they belive there diffrent in some way, but we won't get into that.) can be very sick. [/B][/QUOTE]

Or maybe that person is just homophobic.

Shinji+Kaworu is so cute...^o^ In in the GW series, I like 1x3 instead or 3x4. People make them looks like they're too perfect together...it's just..bleh. Gravitation-Tatsuha/Ryuichi is a nice couple me thinks.

I really don't want to be seen as intolerant or anything, but how would you feel if I started a site depicting the guys from Gravitation going straight?

My point is that I personally oppose the GW yaoi sites, especially the ones that are so sick it would be considered utter sickness if it wasn't yaoi and therefore allegedly "tolerant." For example, the yaoi orgy site and the one where one character is raping the other.

One more point for you HeeroXDuo fangirls: The series writers have repeatedly stated that no such relationships were originally intended in the series. Enjoy your copyright infringement if you want to, but don't tell me you weren't warned.

[B]Hentai (thats what your refering to right? Some people like to argue things like yaoi and whatnot are not hentai because they belive there diffrent in some way, but we won't get into that.) can be very sick.

The Quatre and Trowa thing I'm pretty sure is just generated from fan girl's doujinshi.
[/B][/QUOTE]

IMHO, yaoi/yuri IS hentai. The only main difference is that the pairings are same-gender rather than opposite gender, and even that difference isn't always present: in some henyaori, the characters are depicted as bisexual.

You're absolutely right: the QuatreXTrowa thing was from exactly that source. Again, the writers said no such relationship was intended, and if I have to choose who the more reliable source is, I go with the source closest to the original work: the people who wrote it.

[off topic]
Oh, by the way Imsirion, is your avatar Millie too? It looks a LOT like her.