OtakuBoards

Which Animes Are Dubbed Best/Worst?

~Mystical Pan~

My favorite dubbing of all anime has to go to [B]Neon Genisis Evangelian[/B]. I really liked how they portrayed the characters, I mean all the voice actors really came into their rolls. Esspecially [B]Tiffany Grant as Asuka[/B], I mean she actually used some German dialouge and Asuka is german. How much sense does that make. Rei was also pprtrayed wonderfully, [B]Amanda Winn [/B] caught perfectly [B]Rei's[/B] dull and droll personality.[B] Spike Spencer [/B] did a phenomenal job as[B] Shinji Ikari[/B], I mean that whiney, obnoctious tone and always complaining, it's almost identical to the tone from the original( Though aliked all the girly screaming on his part in the english edition more). Next on my list of my favorite character voices is [B]Alison Keith as Misato[/B], she really came to life to me through Alison (Probably because I know someone like Misato and she portrayed the voice and personality beautifully). their is so much more I could say but unfortunately my hands are starting to cramp, but still of all anime Evangelian has the finest dubbing I've heard.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst: Sailormoon I mean they took out A LOT and Serena sounds like a baby and than when they changed voices in later series. I hated that. CardCaptors, they took out so much of it and jammed them together not making any sense. :animestun

Best: R.O.D. the TV series. Although I kind of hated Hisa's voice...

All I can think of...I still hate how much they dubbed SailorMoon the uncut version is SO much better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blaklite
GOOD Dubs: Fullmetal Alchemist, Read or Die, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star(Unedited), FLCL, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell:Standalone Complex, Akira, R.O.D. the TV, (plus more that i can't remember)

BAD,HORRIBLE, GODAWFUL DUBS: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z,Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2 (LOVE the japanese version), One Piece (THE WORST), Naruto will be (i know it), Zatch Bell, Yu-gi-oh, Outlaw Star(Edited) , AND ANYTHING ELSE ON GODFORSAKEN AMERICAN TV

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[QUOTE=Blaklite]GOOD Dubs: Fullmetal Alchemist, Read or Die, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star(Unedited), FLCL, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell:Standalone Complex, Akira, R.O.D. the TV, (plus more that i can't remember)

BAD,HORRIBLE, GODAWFUL DUBS [color=red][i]//snip//[/i][/color] AND ANYTHING ELSE ON GODFORSAKEN AMERICAN TV[/QUOTE]
There's something seriously wrong with this picture. Every single anime in your "good" list has aired on American television... :animeswea

(In the future, please try not to go overboard with all-caps sentences and rows of angry smilies. People will get your point regardless, so you might as well be a little calmer about it, right? Also, as OB is a discussion-oriented forum, it'd be appreciated if, when in this type of thread, you explained your choices instead of simply offering big lists.)

It is perhaps a little early to declare [b]Kodocha[/b] one of the best dubs I've ever heard (especially with the minor dialogue changes), but I was pretty much floored by the first volume. Given that most good dubs improve as they go along, I can only imagine how awesome the English language version of this series will become later on. Laura Bailey really nails Sana's manic energy without becoming too shrill or annoying.

~Dagger~

Personally one of my favorite dubs, ones I've seen on TV anyway, is actually Shaman King. I mean, let's face it: It's stuck in a terrible Saturday morning time slot and it's aimed at the kiddies but it's fairly good. The voices aren't terrible either. Ren's voice, while British, is arrogant in the way that I pictured it being. Yoh's voice is cheerful, Manta's is fine, Anna is forceful, Lyserg is young and quiet...you get the picture. (and yes I've heard the Japanese voices)

Also compared to a terrible (but unintentionally funny) dub in the same time slot, YuGiOh, there's not a whole lot cut out. The X-Laws get their guns and fire them too. There's still violence, I believe in one episode Hao licked some blood...it's left intact for the most part, minus a name change or two. The plot about the spirits and such is also there thankfully.

I also can't stress how intentionally funny this show can be. It's one of my favorite shows, let alone favorite dub.

Excel Saga is a good dub too but it's very hard to keep Excel's level of insanity in English. Some things just don't translate quite as well to me. I loved the R.O.D OVA too. Everything felt perfect in it.

I tend to like dubs in general but I did dislike the Pet Shop of Horrors dub...only for the voices though. Everything else was fine but voices often make or break an anime.

[B]Best:[/B]
Rurouni Kenshin -- I thought the voice for Kenshin was just PERFECT
Cowboy Bebop
Fushigi Yuugi -- With the occasional exception, I thought they pulled it off pretty well ^^ Nuriko was most definatly the best cast.
Howl's Moving Castle -- Christian Bale suprised me, he did a great job as Howl. He has that kindness to his tone that's very cute ^^

[B]Worst:[/B]
Yami no Matsuei -- WTF is with Gushoushin?
Gravitation -- it seems like a bunch of VA noobs ><
Sailor Moon - *plugs ears* Sooo many bad voice actors... Especially Usagi's

my personal best: outlaw star, ghost in the shell, samuri champloo, cowboy bebop, full metal alchamist.

the worst
sailor moon: i only read one of the manga and i though it was a whole lot better than the anime.
yu-gi-oh: ok the thing to me is that the change between yugi and yami yugis voice it just sound alot deeper than his body.
naruto: even though they havent aired it yet i just have a gut feeling that there going to make it bad i would be happier if it was on adult swim then on toonami.
one piece: there are just so many differeces between the american version and the Japanease version of it

Well I don't much likje Yu-Gi-Oh the dub seeing as the voice changes between Yami and Yugi are bad and the whole heart of the cards thing was just added in for kids....come on he cheats with the puzzle whoopty do. Next I'll say Naruto.....it will suck...instead of Naruto stabbing himself it will be him holding a lunchbox squeezing a tomato....

I do like FMA alot though they did screw up the Flame vs. Fullmetal thing from what I heard, Trigun also has a good dub as well. Can't really think of much right now.

Hm, the best in dub or sub would have to be slayers I think. The worst dub I think would have to be Card Captors. I couldn't believe how much they ruined the characters' personalities!! Hm, as for the best well I think it's Inu-yasha series and probably Cow Boy Bebop along with Full Metal Alchamist and Trigun. I think "Ghost In a Shell" did a good job, but like the second one more. Let see, there's also the Ranma movies which a good one. The Sailor Moons were better in the beginning I think, but get better with the whole Pegasus series. I like how Usagi in the english version could make her voice sound older sometimes, but still hers. I also like Excel english version more, but up until they do that recap episode and change Excel's voice. I find it strange I don't like it half as much in the sub tiltled version...

Alright then.

[B]best:[/B]
Fushigi Yuugi. The character voices actually matched fairly well, and none of them were too incredibly annoying.

[B]worst:[/B]
Fruits Basket. The voices didn't fit the characters, many couldn't even pronounce their character's [B]name[/B], and all in all they just annoyed the heck out of me.