OtakuBoards

Which Animes Are Dubbed Best/Worst?

~Mystical Pan~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dan Rugh [/i]
[B]I don't get why people make such a HUGE deal out of this. If you don't like the English voices, then don't watch it. Go spend all your money on DVDs if you're unhappy with the dubbing. If it weren't for dubbing in the first place, honestly, how many of us would be watching anime. [/B][/QUOTE]

This makes a good point, but at the same time... I'm paying for this product. At one point anime tapes were like $30 to $35 (I don't know how many of you even watched anime back then) and other than the extreme nerd community, there wasn't really a way to find out what was done well and what wasn't. Many were simply blind purchases, because most people just didn't have the internet then. I'd like to not have to be concerned over something like that. The company is also paying a good deal of money to license and distribute it in the first place. It is that much to ask of them to at least put a decent dub on?

I'm not even talking ones that are just passable. That's even fine... but there are some that are just terrible. They sound like they consist of people just reading a paper off in a rather monotone voice... and don't get me started on the horrible accents most of them try to do. If I have to hear another 40 year old woman do a child's voice or someone else do an "old lady" voice, I'll go insane.

The worst dub I've yet to hear was for one called Gryzor's Wing, or something like that. So terrible that I couldn't even watch the anime simply because of it.

Best probably goes to Grave of the Fireflies, I guess.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=indigo]I prefer watching dubs over subs most of the time and I am really not to picky. Some are done better than others; Cowboy Bebop, Grave of Fire Flies, and Gundam Wing are a few of the anime series that I believe are exceptionally well dubbed.

The only horrible dub that hasn?t been mentioned is ?Demon City Shinjuku?. I have absolutely why they dubbed a short Japanese roller-skater punk with a poorly mimicked Hispanic accent?[/color]

I remember seeing this one anime in anime club; I'm not sure what it was called, but the dubbing and anime itself were so bad that we turned it off after the first episode and just watched some wholesome Cowboy Bebop. This anime had a short energetic guy with long hair who ran around a lot and had the stupidest, most horrible voice ever. It's like that high-pitched type that made him sound like he was intentionally trying to sound retarded or something. Gah, it was just so bad, not to mention the anime was pretty corney anyway. If anyone knows the title of this, I'd like to warn all of you to never watch it, expecially dubbed.

I also recently started watching the Samurai X movies, aka Kenshin, and the voice actors are completely different. I havn't taken much time to try to get used to it, but I found it sort of annoying, plus Yahiko's voice was a heck of a lot deeper than Sano's or Kenshin's. Maybe I'm being over-picky on this after just finishing watching the entire Kenshin series, but I'm watching it in Japanese anyway.

[size=1] Samurai X's dubbing annoyed as well. I liked the DVDs better than the Rurouni Kenshin series, but the dubbing wasn't something I ever got used to.

Even though I complained and praised some animes, I rarely every watch the dubbed version of an anime. Subtitles are suited fine for me. I read fast, so I don't have a problem with lag either. [because I'm basically a nerd who reads a lot]=_= My friend will force me to switch to Dubbed version since she' can't keep up at times.[/size]

Whoever said the FuruBa dub is bad has no idea what they're talking about. The FuruBa is probably the best dub there is. FUNimations only great dub other than Dragon Ball(not Z/GT)

Best:
FuruBa
Anything ADV has put out.
Dragon Ball
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
BGCT2040
Inu Yasha(decent, not great)
Shaman King(other than the useless changes it is decent)

Worst:
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT
Yugiou
Pocket Monsters

[COLOR=indigo]I hate it when they change the names in dubs...

Ex) In YGO (my fave anime), almost EVERY character got their name changed.. And the one that I'm the most mad about is Malik's. Malik means "Master" in Arabic, & "Marik" could mean something TOTALLY different!! 4Kids (or, as me & a bunch of my friends like to call them, "4Bakas"), IMO, has dishonored his name....(BTW, Malik's one of my fave characters!!!) But, they also changed the following...
-Jounouchi Katsuya = Joey Wheeler
-Anzu Mazaki = Téa Gardner
-Hitoro Honda = Tristan Taylor
....and too many others...... -_-;;;;;
[/COLOR]

Best:

Trigun (though the script could have been better, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Akira, all of the Gundams except SD which i hate anyways, and Outlaw Star. They all have perfect Seiyuu casts. They fit the character.

Worst:

Blue Gender especially Tony's (sounded a bit like Legato BLusesummers from Trigun) Yu Gi Oh, especially Joey cuz he sounds and acts like a stereotypical New Yorker, but i hated that show anyways, and the japanese Seiyuu for DBZ tottally made Goku and half the sayains except Vegeta sound like 8 year old girls.

[color=royalblue]Hm.. Well, I have to go to bed soon, so I'll just post one good one and one bad one that come off the top of my head.

[b]Good-[/b] .hack//SIGN. Sometimes I wonder if Bear's Japanese voice actor decided to do the English version as well. They just sound so similar.. The only bad voice I can find in the series is Mimiru's.. And still, it fits the character well and I can't imagine her voice any other way. The actors got how the characters should be portrayed down perfectly. Tsukasa's voice was KINDA weird at the beginning in the dub, but the actor must have had a flu or something, because it got better around episode five.

[b]Bad-[/b] As if it hasn't been said enough yet.. I'm sad to say my favorite anime of all time, Neon Genesis Evangelion, had some of the junkiest voice actors of all time (Which I have heard). I hear the words "Cruddy dub" And I think of Asuka saying "Hey Shinji! Looky looky!" as she did in the thermal expansion episode.. Heh heh heh.. Good episode. *back to topic now* And Shinji was portrayed more whiny than I would have liked. He sounded more like a bratty 10 year old than an introverted 14 year old.. At least, that's what I think. But I [i]did[/i] like Rei's voice. If it were just a little louder it would have sounded pretty darn close to the Japanese Rei's voice. Let's remember, people, she's generally a clone of another version of herself, a replacement, a backup, and has no true purpose in life other than piloting Eva unit 01. (Well, the only purpose she finds early on) She has virtually no friend but Gendo's and even that could be considered debatable.[/color]

Inuyasha must be one of the worst dubs I've seen. Kagome's voice is so irritating-- it makes me want to throw something at the TV to get her to shutup. Then there's Kagura: Helloooo- you're trying to kill these people, not seduce them! And Kouga sounds like he's on drugs or something, not to mention all the other wolf demons' voices are kinda squeeky. Jaken sounds like a smurf O.o (wait... maybe that's not too ooc) But I have to admit that Rin's and Sessho-maru's voices are well-cast. (When Naraku says Kanna's name, he sounds like he has some sort of speech impediment and can't say it right-- is that how her name is supposed to be pronounced?)

But Princess Mononoke was a great dub. Love that movie :) .Hack//Sign has some really good voice actors, too.

Hopefully I haven't been too much of a critic... or offended anyone....

[size=1] Hm...I've heard the Inuyasha dub on Adult Swim, and I thought they were decent. I believe the longer you listen to Japanese cast voices on an anime, the harder it is to adapt to the dubbed version. *shrugs* I know many people who love Evangelion's English cast, but I've been listening to the subbed version of that show for a long time, and I absolutely hated the English version.

But there are some shows that I don't mind listening to dubbed. Cowboy Bebop for one example. Also, .hack//SIGN. I've listened to both Japanese and English cast for .hack//SIGN, and even though I like the subbed version better, I'm perfectly fine with the dubbed version. =_=

When I was little and liked Pokemon for a while, I didn't have any problem with the dubbed version on TV. I've listened to the Japanese version, and I'd have to admit that I'd gotten used to the English, so I disliked the Japanese. Yeah....don't ask.[/size]

I really don't pay to much attention to the dubbing unless its really good or bad.

Good: .hack//sign

Possibley the worst dubbing ever: Megaman *shudder* NT Warrior.
I had seen this fan subbed before WB mangled it and beat to the ground with a stick. I'm a huge Megaman fan and I loved the subbed version, but when I saw this I could of cried it was so bad. The least they could do was play the games or do something to figure out what the characters were really like and not make up their weird and twisted version of it. I can't help laughing at this pathetic excuse for dubbing.

In the subbed: Iceman had a cute little voice which fit him very well.

In the *shudder* dubbed: He sounded like a fourty year old construction worker!

I've seen lists and lists of errors in the show, which are pretty funny to read.

Hmmm...

Good: Cowboy Bebop was very good, you have to look very close to see that the mouth movements don't match the words. I loved the Trigun dub, but Legato has a great Japanese voice (that Voice Acotr also does Duo and Count D!). I liked the Ranma dub, Shampoo's voice is so cute! Gundam Wing was OK, but Duo sounded like a 40 year old man (which he was, I guess), but I loved Quatre and Wufei.

Bad: Evangelion was just awful. Asuka just made me twitch. Nightwalker was pretty bad too, I can't describe why. Shido was just a little off. Vampire Princess Miyu annoyed me because I thought Miyu sounded a bit like Daria, plus I love Larva's Japanese voice. And I didn't like Weiss Kreuz. Although the outtakes in English were hilarious, I can't stand some of the voices.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Neptunecat13 [/i]
[B][COLOR=indigo]I hate it when they change the names in dubs...

Ex) In YGO (my fave anime), almost EVERY character got their name changed.. And the one that I'm the most mad about is Malik's. Malik means "Master" in Arabic, & "Marik" could mean something TOTALLY different!! 4Kids (or, as me & a bunch of my friends like to call them, "4Bakas"), IMO, has dishonored his name....(BTW, Malik's one of my fave characters!!!) But, they also changed the following...
-Jounouchi Katsuya = Joey Wheeler
-Anzu Mazaki = Téa Gardner
-Hitoro Honda = Tristan Taylor
....and too many others...... -_-;;;;;
[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea I think 4 kids (I agree with you and your friends, this should be they're name:"4 Bakas") really messed it up, the cut off all of the really good stuff, including the first season and messed up the names...and I completely agree that they should've left Malik's name alone (he's my 2 favorite character) for what I know his inglish name (Marik) Could mean anything!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Youko Minamino [/i]
[B]

Best:

Anything ADV has put out.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I'd have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ADV because ADV loves the fans. They're the only ones that have a decent amount of Spanish-dubbed anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Burn-Up W / Excess, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo-2040 and others. They also add as many extras inside and outside the DVD as possible (Just look at Excel Saga). However, if there is ONE thing they REALLY need to work on is their dubbing. Sure, they've done a good job with the Samurai X OAVs and the comedy anime, but the average dubs of most of their series and movies is disappointing by today's standards.[/color][/font]

Good:

Yu Yu Hakusho. Despite the fact that they altered a lot of the dialogue, I like this dub, because all of the English voice actors are exceptional. They sound a lot more natural than those in many other dubs. Kurama's English voice is quite different from his Japanese voice, but both portray him well.

Voices of a Distant Star.... the single best dub I have ever seen. I actually prefer the American voices.

RahXephon. Although I didn't like Chris Patton as much in Full Metal Panic, he made a perfect Ayato. ADV really hit the spot with this one.

Worst:

Yu Gi Oh... *cringes*.... I don't even want to talk about it... it's just too painful...

Vampire Princess Miyu OAVs. The most hideous dub I've ever had the misfortune to hear. Maybe it's because these OAVs are from the 80s, and so they were dubbed earlier than many other shows. Either way, the English acting is painfully bad, and NONE of the voices suit any of the characters. They have a middle-aged woman voicing a young, pretty schoolgirl..... and it just goes downhill from there.

In between:

Inuyasha: Some of the voices are good. Inuyasha's English voice actor, Richard Cox, sounds exactly like his Japanese voice actor. Kagome's voice actress, however, is absolutely dreadly to listen to. She sounds too young, too flighty, and overall makes Kagome a rather unlikeable character.

Full Metal Panic: Ehh... all the English actors are talented, there's no questioning that. I just don't feel like they captured the spirit of the original Japanese voices. Maybe there was something lost in translation... I dunno.

Read or Die: This dub is actually pretty good, except for the fact that Yomiko's English voice is way more whiny, and therefore more irritating, than her Japanese voice.

~Dagger~

[B]Best:[/B]

Slayers (all 3 seasons) A lot of people seem to hate David Moo for doing Xellos' voice, but I think it fits perfectly. It's kinda annoying, but that fits Xellos' Personality.

Princess Mononoke

InuYasha (except Kagome. Too whiny)

[B]Worst:[/B]

Slayers: The Motion Picture (and probably Slayers Return, when they release it in english) Cyntia Martinez is a HORRIBLE Lina. Her voice is just to ditzy for her. Use Lisa Ortiz! Or leave it in Japanese, and bring it in subbed. Either one is good.

Sailor Moon

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by craig8429 [/i]

Hellsing( the british accents drove me out of my mind)
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ummm, ever think its cuz IT TAKES PLACE IN ENGLAND! I think it makes more since to have them speaking in English accents instead of having British people walking around speaking japanese.

Okay, here's mine!

BEST:
I would have to say Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. They fit the characters perfectly!! One of the reasons why I like em...
Also .hack//sign. It's one of the animes I can stand their voices...

WORST:
Yu-Yu-Hakusho because KUWABARA!!! The boy just sounds like he just had a million beers and just got done smoking a million packs of cigarettes it gets on mt nerves so bad I end up turning it off listening to his voice...but otherwise it's okay.

OKAY:
Inuyasha because the voices I can stand, except...KAGOME!!! Man too darn squeaky I can't stand it and I almost turn the TV off for her voice. Sometimes I wish she would die because of her voice...but back to the subject. Sesshomaru's voice I can stand, just a little calm though. He never shouts, just stays the same which kind of irritates me. But that fits his personality too.

Others I'm waiting on...

Inu, If youread the Manga, you would know that Yusuke and Kuwabara do actually smoke. And drink probably cuz there not exactly good two shoes. I actually like Kuwabara's voice. Gives him that big dumb lug kinda feeling, which he in fact is.

Double_B_Diego, well sadly I haven't read the manga but I feel so stupid because there are smoking and drinking in the more mature version in the anime so why not in the manga? *slaps herself on the head*
But I guess it does kinda make sense, Kuwabara is kind of a dope.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akari [/i]
[B]Good Inuyasha
Worst... Salior Moon, G Gundam, Yugioh, PokeMon [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I'm sorry, but please put more thoughts and efforts into your posts and try to improve your post quality. You can go to the OB Information Center to read the rules there. Thank you.[/color][/size]

The worst dub i have ever seen has to be Shaman King! Why God Why!!?

The voice actors are terrible, especially Tao Ren's english actor, they named him Lenny out of all the names, and they made him sound british! He's from China for God's sake!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rokuki [/i]
[B]The worst dub i have ever seen has to be Shaman King! Why God Why!!?

The voice actors are terrible, especially Tao Ren's english actor, they named him Lenny out of all the names, and they made him sound british! He's from China for God's sake!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Acually R and L sound pretty close in the Japanese language I believe. However you are right that the "ny" wasn't needed. It makes his name sound horrible in my opinion.