OtakuBoards

Which Animes Are Dubbed Best/Worst?

~Mystical Pan~

[color=hotpink][size=1]Boogiepop, I ask that you please clean up your posts and put more thought into them.

About the Fushigi Yugi dub, I like it, too. The only voice I didn't like was Miaka's. It was too whiney. But I LOVED how they casted Nuriko with a woman's voice. ^_^[/color][/size]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bebop and Trigun have already been mentioned about a dozen times already, so I'll just skip those...

One of the better dubs I've seen is [b]Excel Saga[/b]. Jessica Calvello did a really great Excel. The character is completely [i]insane[/i], and she did a great job of keeping up. Unfortunately, half-way through the series, she did such a good job at Excel's voice that she strained her vocal chords and had to be replaced.
My one gripe about the dub is the voice used for Hyatt. She's too quiet. I have to turn my TV up to hear her, but then every other character sounds way too loud.

The [b]worst[/b] dub has to be [b]Cardcaptors[/b]. Sailormoon and DBZ might have left out a few episodes here and combined a few episodes there, but the Cardcaptors dub completely skipped over Sakura's origin as the cardcaptor. [i]No other dub has ever skipped the first episode entirely[/i].

Of course, I may just be talking about the episodes shown on TV by the WB. They probably dubbed more episodes, and the skipping of the first few could probably just be Warner Bros. Television's fault. I honestly don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
The best dubbed shows are Yu Yu Hakusho (except for Kuwabara who soundls like he smokes twelve packs of cigaretts a day) and Inuyasha. The voices match the character perfectly. I honestly saw or rather heard nothing wrong with Cardcaptors so don't critisize me. But the worst dubbs have to be Ronin Warriors (not one line fits the mouth and in some scenes it seems like text was added because mouths don't move at all) and Dragonball, it just sounds really wrong to me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]Bebop and Trigun have already been mentioned about a dozen times already, so I'll just skip those...

One of the better dubs I've seen is [b]Excel Saga[/b]. Jessica Calvello did a really great Excel. The character is completely [i]insane[/i], and she did a great job of keeping up. Unfortunately, half-way through the series, she did such a good job at Excel's voice that she strained her vocal chords and had to be replaced.
My one gripe about the dub is the voice used for Hyatt. She's too quiet. I have to turn my TV up to hear her, but then every other character sounds way too loud.

The [b]worst[/b] dub has to be [b]Cardcaptors[/b]. Sailormoon and DBZ might have left out a few episodes here and combined a few episodes there, but the Cardcaptors dub completely skipped over Sakura's origin as the cardcaptor. [i]No other dub has ever skipped the first episode entirely[/i].

Of course, I may just be talking about the episodes shown on TV by the WB. They probably dubbed more episodes, and the skipping of the first few could probably just be Warner Bros. Television's fault. I honestly don't know. [/B][/QUOTE]

The first few episdoes of Cardcaptors never premired because mostly WB thought that kids wouldn't be interested in a story that explains everthing and that ratings would go down even more (this is why they got their own Toonami, to try to get more viewers who switeched to Cartoon Network)

Kikaider was a great dub, but I really really liked the dubbing of Ranma 1/2. It was pretty good. Princess Mononoke was good. Though it had some characters that didn't flow with the english language with their mouths. Betterman was ok.

I would have to say the worst dub, was probably Lupin the Third. I couldn't even follow their mouths. Sorry for all those people that thought it was good, I just didn't.

well,i really don't think is the best and i really also don't think that its the worst.i think its ok cuz people who can't understand japanese would be able to understand the anime even without the subtitles but sometimes,they don't really say what the character is supposed to say.

best--Tenchi,Ryoko,Sasami,washu,Mihoshi,Ayeka,Inu-yasha,& some others that I cant think of right now...
worst--sailor moon & cardcapter sakura. they annoy me to death, sorry, no offence to you who think they are good...

[COLOR=orangered]The best I've seen is Cowboy Bebop. The voices and acting are great! I can't think of anything I don't like about the dub! The CB movie's dub isn't quite as good as the series though in my opinion.

Another good one is Trigun. Although the voices are a bit different, they still fit the characters well. I still prefer some of the original voices, like Wolfwood or Legato though.

I also liked the Spirited Away dub. I haven't seen the original, but I liked the dubbed version. Disney did a good job.

Now for the Bad ones... DBZ. The acting is good for some of the later seasons, but they changed the dialouge so much! They added the stupid jokes, and they cut out a lot of other stuff!

Crest of the Stars... Don't get me started on that one... It just sounds so... crappy. The actors didn't sound like they were even trying! No emotion... just talking.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]

Of course, I may just be talking about the episodes shown on TV by the WB. They probably dubbed more episodes, and the skipping of the first few could probably just be Warner Bros. Television's fault. I honestly don't know. [/B][/QUOTE]

Acually from what i hear in dragonball gt in america they will be leaving out the first few seasons :p

ok HANDS DOWN the worst dubbing is on Crest of the Stars. that dibbing is so painfully bad i cant watch it for more than five minutes. but i dunno, Cowboy Bebop has some pretty good dubbing. i dont think there has ever been a moment watching it when i notice any bad acting

I'm sorta picky soooo here
BEST: Princess Mononoke (The voices were soooo cool!!!)
.hack//sign (I dont know why...)
Gunsmith Cats (I just liked the voices alot.)
Yu Yu Hakusho (Everyones voice fits their personality. Espicially Hiei)

WORST: InuYasha (I love the show but once i saw the subbed shows they were SO much better)
CCS (Ugh... I just hate their voices)
Tenchi (GAWD their voices are sooooo annoying)

• 1 month later...
Cowboy Bebop: 1337ness! I love it!

.hack//SIGN: I love Krim's voice! EEEEKS!

Utena: I watched this with Makai Kite! ^^ Anyhow, I think Anthy was too quiet.

Boogiepop Phantom: I like it but buterfly chick bothered/disturbed me a bit.
Worst Dubs...
Yugioh: Tea's voice annoys me. and Mai...eeegh don't make me rant. Snippy brat.

Cardcaptors: I don't LIKE it! They made it a guy's show! IDI-FREAKING-OTS!

The worst to me is Yugioh. In the show with Joey dueling Bandit Keith they didn't even show the gun he was pointing at Pegasus. It was totally dum he was just pointing a finger at him come on sure Keith is tough but a finger(they could have at least had a knife in his hand). The best is Trigun and Bebop mostly because they don't cut stuff out for the most part

Well, personally the best I've seen (actually heard, haha) so far would have to be Cowboy Bebop (the series, haven't seen the movie), Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke. As everybody's been saying, the Cowboy Bebop dubs just [I]fit[/I] the characters- appearance and behavior. I guess I'd say the same thing for SA and PM. One very important plus is that in all of them the dialogue never felt ackward or forced to me, as is the case with quite a few other dubs.

Now the worst to my mind definitely is Inuyasha. Inuyasha is probably my favorite series, but the dub feels so totally butchered. With the semi-exception of Inuyasha and maybe Shippo, all the voices feel totally off. High pitched squeaky Kagome, deadpan Miroku, flat-voiced Sesshoumaru, and especially Kaede's wince-inducing attempt at Old English are just painful. The other really painful part is just how they totally butchered name pronounciation, which also happened in the Ranma 1/2 dub. At times it feels like none of the voice actors were ever shown the original Japanese dialogue! Add to that the ackward translations, and the whole experience is just... gah.

[size=1]

[b]Best[/b]

[b]Cowboy Bebop[/b]- Like...[i]woah[/i], dude. The voices actually go well with the characters....*claps*
[b]Trigun[/b]- Well, I've never heard the Japanese cast for Trigun, so I wouldn't be able to tell correctly, but I think the voices are allright.
[b]Spirited Away[/b]- Same with Trigun, but I think the voices fit. Er...sort of. Isn't the voice of Chihiro the same as the girl from Lilo and Stitch?
[b]Princess Monoke[/b]- Another good job...I think they did a good job with the dubbing. But I've never heard the undubbed one.

[b]Bad[/b]

[b]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/b]- Oh, please. Do not even [i]try[/i] to compare the English casting to the Japanese casting. Rei sounded like she was about to [b]die[/b]....like she was in a hospital bed the whole time while recording it. Asuka sounds like....like....something horrible. No, no, NO! The girl who plays Asuka for the English dubbing [b]never[/b] should have been picked! Shinji's voice was tolerable, but it was still bad. Misato's voice was OK, and Gendo sounded like a robot.
[b]Yami no Matsuei[/b]- Geez...[i]no[/i]. I need not explain. Watch the Japanese ones...watch the English ones... The voices just don't match.
[b]Yu-gi-oh[/b]- Er...the only voice I like here is Yami Bakura's because it sounds cool. Mind you, all the voices basically suck in my opinion. I like the Japanese cast much more. And talk about dubbing away the violence...

[b]Pending...[/b]
--these are for animes that aren't yet released in America, but they will be. *shudder*
[b]Gravitation[/b]- If they screw this up, they will screw up big time. I have absolutely no idea how The Right Stuff [or however you really spell the company's name] will dub some of the parts, because it will be extremely hard. You've had to have watched this anime to understand, but there are parts when Suichii [the main character] says something and in Japanese, the word has several different meanings, and Ryuichi [another character] is trying to cheer Suichii up and gives him all the things that the word mean but nothing the meaning Suichii is trying to get across.
Understand? No? Eh...
[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dan Rugh [/i]
[B]I don't get why people make such a HUGE deal out of this. If you don't like the English voices, then don't watch it. Go spend all your money on DVDs if you're unhappy with the dubbing. If it weren't for dubbing in the first place, honestly, how many of us would be watching anime.[/B][/QUOTE]
I agree for the most part. I don't really mind subbed, I suppose, but I would prefer dubbed.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Youko Minamino [/i]
[B]You people do know what a dub isn't just the voices. You cannot just base a dub off of the voices, which is what I've seen most of you doing. You have to gauge a dub, on its accuracy to the original in terms of story, voices, how accurate its lines are, and how accurate its character personalities are. [/B][/QUOTE]
I don't think we have to worry about that anymore. Lately, all you really have been seeing are nothing less than perfect translations, obviously just with different voice actors. The only thing to nit-pick about a dubbed anime these days is the voices, which I suppose can also tie into the personality a little bit.

Now that I covered those really old posts, heh, I really don't have an opinion on which animes are dubbed good or bad, persay. By going by the voices, you will sometimes have good voices, and sometimes have bad ones in an anime, and that's just the way it goes. For example, in Rurouni Kenshin, I cannot stand the voices of the Southern waitress or the youngest of the two little girls, even though I havn't watched the sub for them, but the other voices are rather good. Unless you go back to the days of Dragonball and Digimon or something, that's the way most animes can be judged in the way of dubbing. And, of course, your opinion can be altered if you are simply used to listening to the original Japanese voices.

Guest Really Bad Eggs
Best:
Well, obviously Miyazaki movies, because many of those were released in theaters, so they actually tried harder.
I can honestly say the only good anime *series* I've ever seen dubbed well is Rurouni Kenshin. And that's only by comparison.

Worst:
By far the worst is Fruits Basket. Ugh. Just.... ugh.
I also didn't like:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yami no Matsuei (the Gushoushin... ack)
Elf Princess Rane (has anyone else even heard of this?)
There are so many more, but I think those are the worst...

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]In alphabetical order:

[b]Best[/b]

Cowboy Bebop
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Outlaw Star
Samurai X Trust / Betrayal / Reflection
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
Street Fighter Alpha
Trigun
X (The TV Series)

ADV isn't known for their amazing dubbing, but they do well with the funny anime. Bandai and Pioneer are usually the best in that department.

[b]Worst[/b]

Dragon Ball Z / GT
Knights of the Zodiac
Love Hina (Thank American Kitsune)
Vampire Hunter D[/color][/font]