OtakuBoards

The truth behind missingno.

Guest Crimson Spider

Guest Crimson Spider
This will probably get closed down due to advertising and all that, but...

[url]http://www.dazzled.com/trsrockin/missingno4.html[/url]

a whole explanation. I wish I could even say I found this site, but someone else did and told me about it not on this board. Makes perfect sense to me, of course.

[color=indigo]Eh, I wouldn't really consider this to be advertising. First, it's just a fansite, and second, you're not posting it just to try and get people to visit the site; you're posting the link because it has some cool info on it. There is an easy way to avoid this altogether, though, if you're afraid something like this would be considered advertising. That is, just copy the text off of the website and paste it into your post.

That's really interesting, though. I've always been curious about the missingno glitch, and this answered all of my questions about it.[/color]

You know Missingno isn't just in R/B.
I accidentally found it the other day while using my gameshark. (Hey, I needed a Feebas.)

So the code I planned on using wasn't for my actuall GBA. It was for the Virtual Boy. But, I ended up using it anyway, with some belief that it might work. And well it did - but not the way I wanted.

Whenever I walked into the grass, I'd freeze my game at the second step for a second. Then I would go into a battle with who? What I believe to be the Missingno of Ru/Sa.

It's name was soemthing like:
???????????????????M180??

Bleh, it only worked once. then next time I tried it, my game didn't start the battle and just froze. So I reset, and everythign was fine.

Just a weird experiance I had.
(Don't try it - who knows)

Guest Crimson Spider
Something similar happened to me. I used a type 6 enable code with a type 6 disable code. Normally it would just freeze the game, but one time I saw "?????????????". It was the same sprite as when you view an empty slot in the pokedex.. Even aftre I caught it, it had a little 3-dimensional '?" for a sprite.

Guest Crimson Spider
It has no skills, cause it used struggle in battle. As soon as I went to check it's summery, the game froze.

[color=indigo]I don't really doubt that it's also in G/S/C. I mean, it's caused by the empty variables used for storing Pokémon, right? And there are 256 different variables in a byte, and only 251 Pokémon in G/S/C. That leaves five open slots, meaning something like Missingno most likely [i]is[/i] in G/S/C. The only problem is find a way to make it appear, since they were probably looking for that type of glitch after the Missingno glitch in R/B.[/color]

Guest Crimson Spider
Missing no. is not in GSC. It just goes by ??????, knows strugle, and you can't look at its stats. Those empty slots give you a complete glitch. In R/B, Missingno had the same sprite as ghosts do without the silph scope, knew water gun twice, and sky attack, and had actual base stats.

There are several different kings or missing no. for ru/sa. The one you and I encountered is mainly a glitch. There is one of them that is safe, has a pokedex excrept, and has actual stats and moves.

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Hmm... I had no idea you could find a missingno in Gold/Silver/Crystal. o.o
I just thought it was in Red/Blue/Yellow...

Anyway, I caught it thousands of times in Blue Version. When I finally saw the movie with Lugia in it, I used to think Missingno was Lugia, since it's water/flying. xx;[/color] [/size]

Actually, MinssingNo is a BIRD/normal ( jeez Spearrow is a flying type but a BIRD type? Give me a break!!! ) There's 3 version of MissingNo in Ru/Sa in my recearch about it (thats right research, thank you to your little web site :) ).

( copied off from gameFAQS for your own convinience :D )
The first one looks like a question mark in a ball (Its the same picture as it looks like the one in the empty pokedex slot). Its name is "????????" and is not a perminent pokemon, it will disappear sooner or later. It has its own pokedex data that aint glitched surprisingly, but it freezes the game too.
The 2nd one is the same as on top but acts as a real pokemon.
The 3rd one is a VERY GOOD AND SAFE missingno. Its name is "?", and it looks like 2 HUGE white blocky question marks. It doesnt glitch, and the only glitch thing about him is his pokedex data, which aint a problem. If ya want to use a missingno, stick to the "?" 2 question mark one. I use him and NEVER had a glitch. Unfortunatly, he only knows 1 attack and cant learn anything else and no TMS and HMS work for him.

So mainly MissingNo isn't as like a virus like it was in R/B/Y.

About Desyb's comment about something like MissingNo in G/S/C. This glitch in the link battle should help prove something.

Once I was battling my friend. Suddenly the link cable fell off my friend's game boy. It disrupted the link cable battle. But oddly the battle was still going on. I finished off his Politoed with one hit ( and it was full life too ). Then a butterfree came on next level 160! I defeated it with no sweat with Slash ( Scizor was at level 68, it was normal breeded trained, nothing special at all ) Then his Politoed came up again, except it's level 150, not 47. Again I defeated it. I asked my friend if he had a Butterfree. He said no and he killed my Scizor in one hit, then a Beedrill came up level 160 on his screen and he killed that one too. II didn't have a Beedrill in my party either! Soon we know that the 2 pokemon we faced were glitches and will keep on appearing as long as we killed them. Then we turned it off

( P.S. This happened in the Summer of 2001 )

This is more on the topic of glitches, but I once gave a Level 100 Ditto to my Red version as soon as it could trade at the computers, and it for some reason gained an attack called "CoolTrainer (FemaleSign)", and it had 99 uses...so i fought a CoolTrainer female, and during the battle, her Victrebelle evolved into a Snorlax, IN BATTLE!, then i used the CoolTrainer attack, and the HP bar went down to 0, then filled back up, but all the way across the screen, and made 2 more rows.., then began to go down again. when it finally reached 0 again, the game reset!

That creeped me out, cuz it doesnt even sound like a glitch like the longer hp bars and other things, it just seems like that was on purpose...

Guest SuperMaxSonic
Misingno also works in another way...I think I'v found a way to trade with R/B in Ruby version. I don't fully know how yet. I'll report on this later. (PS: No, you won't be able to get pokemon that are'nt in Ruby)

After reading all that detailed explanation about missingno... all i can say is "eh??"... I have no idea what the heck it is.. and I probably would not want to -_-. Playing legit is fine with me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Metatron [/i]
[B]After reading all that detailed explanation about missingno... all i can say is "eh??"... I have no idea what the heck it is.. and I probably would not want to -_-. Playing legit is fine with me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Lol...

The MissingNo Glitch (in simple) is basically a user-provoked 'glitch' that usually appears after you try the "duplication trick" in R/B. I've caught it, only for it to be followed by a non-existant Ditto attack me continuously until I kicked his butt. Also, depending on what name you have named Ash, you'll also encounter different pokemon [Bulbasaur, Venusaur, Ivysaur, Charizard, etc.] all on levels around 180 and 250 (Don't battle with them, as gaining exp drops them down to 100 and using rare candies passed L255 drops them down to L 0.) Though it's a well-known glitch, just thought it'd be fun to explain for those who have forgotten it...

mine evolved into a kangaskhan too ( but I have 5 MissingNo.,so i dont mind)

What do you think is the reason that seafoam islands and cinnabar island was changed in G/S/C?they shrunk seafoam and cinnibar(my favorite island...:bawl: )had an "invisible"(think about it....did you see a volcano on R/B/Y?)volcano explode so that the MissingNo. trick wouldn't work....there is a similar trick where you did everything for the MissingNo. trick, and by doing that, a man would be standing on the cinnibar island gym roof....that makes me wonder more than the missingNo glitch....Also, the No in MissingNo stands for number...that means there is a missing number, but what is it?

P.S.-I've never seen a non-silph scope MissingNo...mine are all stupid blocks.....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SonicSlash [/i]
[B]mine evolved into a kangaskhan too ( but I have 5 MissingNo.,so i dont mind)

What do you think is the reason that seafoam islands and cinnabar island was changed in G/S/C?they shrunk seafoam and cinnibar(my favorite island...:bawl: )had an "invisible"(think about it....did you see a volcano on R/B/Y?)volcano explode so that the MissingNo. trick wouldn't work....there is a similar trick where you did everything for the MissingNo. trick, and by doing that, a man would be standing on the cinnibar island gym roof....that makes me wonder more than the missingNo glitch....Also, the No in MissingNo stands for number...that means there is a missing number, but what is it?

P.S.-I've never seen a non-silph scope MissingNo...mine are all stupid blocks..... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]They didn't change the two islands in G/S/C so that the missingno trick wouldn't work. They had already fixed it in Yellow version, where the islands are the same as in R/B, so they obviously didn't need to change the islands in G/S/C just for that since they already knew about it and how to fix it.

As for what the number is, it pretty much tells what it is on that page that Crimson Spider linked to. Missingno is the result of the game trying to load a Pokemon that isn't actually there. It loads the data of your name, since that gets saved to one of the extra slots where the info for Pokemon are saved. The resulting glitch Pokemon is set to a number (0 through 255) not normally used by the game, so it's a "missing number." At least that sounds like the most reasonable explanation to me.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Valen [/i]
[B]Lol...

The MissingNo Glitch (in simple) is basically a user-provoked 'glitch' that usually appears after you try the "duplication trick" in R/B.[/B][/QUOTE]

I didn't know that there was a Duplication trick in R/B. The only one I know works for G/S, and slightly for Crystal. ((Why I say slightly is because I tried it on Crystal. Whenever I went to see the duplication in my PC, the game froze. I never got to see it untill I hooked up my Crystal to Pokemon Stadium, which revealed the same exact pokemon I ment to duplicate, except the fact all the letters in it's name were reverted into spaces. I now have a Suicune named .))

Anyway, for those who don't know the duplication trick, I am willing to tell you.....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by EchoMew2PKMorph [/i]
[B]I didn't know that there was a Duplication trick in R/B. The only one I know works for G/S, and slightly for Crystal. ((Why I say slightly is because I tried it on Crystal. Whenever I went to see the duplication in my PC, the game froze. I never got to see it untill I hooked up my Crystal to Pokemon Stadium, which revealed the same exact pokemon I ment to duplicate, except the fact all the letters in it's name were reverted into spaces. I now have a Suicune named .))

Anyway, for those who don't know the duplication trick, I am willing to tell you..... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]This thread isn't about diplication tricks; it's about what missingno actually is. And I think all of the relevant discussion has already taken place, so I'll close this to keep it from atracting more unnecessary posts.

[img]http://www.angelfire.com/ex/desbreko/Lock.gif[/img] Thread Closed[/color]