OtakuBoards

Pirates of the Caribbean

Ryo the Tamer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=times new roman][color=orangered]No...Disney has alot of single parent/ no parents in there films for drama sake...It makes it alot harder to create alot of drama and an enviroment where the character can rapidly mature if 2 parents are in the picture...

Anywayz Ive read that MGM has greenlighted its own pirate movie to begin development...Heres hoping that the new wave of pirate movies does the genre justice :p [/color][/font]

Guest TriGunMaSta68
Damn, ive seen the movie but many havent. More of you need to start using spoiler tags, ur giving too much of the story away.
Yall gonna ruin it for others.
'Nuff said.

In any case, people seem to forget the sorts of things Disney is tied to. They don't use the "Disney" name on it, but they own and deal with many companies that make far worse stuff than Pirates of the Caribbean. Hollywood Records is a great example, which has quite a bit of extremely violent and morbid metal bands on it. Buena Vista and all those as well.

Disney itself can be dark when needed. Black Cauldron is a good example, and that was decades ago. It's more of a stereotype attached to them making family orientated films, although quite a few have a good level of violence or a dark side.

[size=1]My friend Heather claims Disney has some sort of vendetta against mothers.

A brief listing of animated featues...

Snow White? Mother dead; Evil Step-mother
Pinnochio? No mother figure
Cinderella? Mother dead; Evil Step-mother
Fox and the Hound? Mother killed
Little Mermaid: No mother
Beauty and the Beast? No mother
Aladdin? No mother
Pocahontas? Mother dead
Hunchback? Mother killed
Tarzan? Parents killed
Atlantis? Mother...something to do with weird glowyness and the end of the world. o0
Finding Nemo? Mother killed.
Lilo and Stitch? Both parents killed

In Lion King, the [i]dad[/i] actually dies...but he sticks around as a floaty cloud spirit dude.

*laughs* Er, anyway. ^_~[/size]

I'd look into it more if 90% of their movies weren't based on existing stories lol. Seems like every old fairy tale has to have some nearly useless father figure, a dead mother and some evil lady. I guess it's a prerequisite.

[font=arial][size=1]I guess the fact being that I have been lazy and haven't even really been around lately, I have been unable to give my comments on this movie. Though I have seen it twice and well I must say that I did enjoy Johnny Depp's performance as Captain Jack Sparrow. I do admit to being a Depp fan, and I must say that I did like his hair and eye makeup. T'was very pleasing to the eyes. Anywho. Now about the movie.

I found it rather nice to see a good pirate movie, and done by Disney at that. I must agree with Piro though, that the violence that they put into the movie was what I found shocking. Also I believe it was Mitch who made the comment about it being very predictable, well I must say that once you realized why Will (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) where there and that they were in love. That just seemed to be the norm for any movie. I think that Orlando and Keira could have at least tried to look "in love" instead of just kinda "gazing" into each others eyes/souls (since your eyes are how you see into the soul). That is about as "in love" as they seemed.

The plot to this movie was rather thin, and making a second movie to a great movie makes me wonder. I must agree with whomever said that the same thing would be rather boring, and thus would make me not want to see the second movie. I am glad to see that they got the cast back for the second movie.
Johnny Depp saved this movie, and I am a bit curious to see what the second one will entail.

Now about the animation. I must give kudos to them because when they were [spoiler]skeletons and fighting in the caves, I must say that that was incredible to see their bodies change and it was done extremely well. I really found it neat with the partial body in the moonlight and how it changed.[/spoiler] What can I say I love effects like that. Things were done well, and kept the audience's attention.

I must say this though, personally I find that Orlando looks better with dark hair compared to his light/blond-ish colored hair that he has as Legolas in LotR. What can I say though, long (dark) hair and eye makeup catches my eyes every time. But anywho. I must say once again, Johnny Depp is what made the movie, and it was worth the $6, that I paid to see it the first time, and then the $14 that I paid for my father and I to see it again (his first time and my second). I enjoyed the movie, and I must say that others should see it as well.

I guess I am done for now... seeing as I could go on and on more.[/font][/size]

I,ve seen the movie only once and already I want to get it. But I must agree that Johnny Depp and his character are the big part of the movie. Orlando and the little love story he's a part of is more like a sideline type of thing. It's more about Captain Jack Sparrow, the Black Pearl, and the curse of the aztec coins then any thing else.

Guest V-Ball Chick
ITS A FUNNY MOVIE JOHNNY DEPP WUZ SUPER FUNNY THOE CUZ HE WUZ DRUNK MOST OF THE TIME SO FUNNY!!!O YAH I REALLY REALLY WANT TO BYE THE MOVIE ALREADY WANT TO BYE THE MOVIE & I ONLY SAW IT ONCE!!!

Well i've seen it twice...omg my friend says that jonny depp didnt cut his hand at the end to show will what to do...everyone else that i know that have seen it says the same thing that he did cut his hand...someone please verify this for me and to prove someone right...she's only seen it once and i've seen it twice...well it was a good movie..immma sooo gonna see it again.:D

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]I really think Keira Knightley looks alot like Natalie Portman. If you just make her eyebrows thinner and take away the eyeshadow... *poof*!

And here's an interesting fact. Keira Knightley played Queen Amidala's (played by Natalie Portman) decoy in 'Star Wars: Episode I'. And according to Yahoo!, alot of fans deny that...[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by V-Ball Chick [/i]
[B]ITS A FUNNY MOVIE JOHNNY DEPP WUZ SUPER FUNNY THOE CUZ HE WUZ DRUNK MOST OF THE TIME SO FUNNY!!!O YAH I REALLY REALLY WANT TO BYE THE MOVIE ALREADY WANT TO BYE THE MOVIE & I ONLY SAW IT ONCE!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Man, what is with this place lately? I feel like gouging my eyes out. You can't imagine how much crap I've had to address in the last hour here. I feel like a damn nazi today, and I'm generally rather patient and lax with a lot of rules here than most. If things are getting on my nerves and I actually bother to post about it, that's saying something.

Double posting isn't allowed. The remaining post is utter garbage. At the very least, you could cut it out with the caps.

Just improve your post quality in general. We'll all be better off.

I've seen this movies twice and can't wait to buy it! And Avaris, I know what you mean. At first I went to see it 'cause of Orlando, but Johnny Depp is who really makes the movie great. He looks drunk the whole time.

[color=0099FF][size=1]That movie was GREAT!!!!!

Juu and I sneaked in to the movie theater and watched it twice that day... Thanks to her, it made me all nervous.

Anyways! I think Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom both looked great in it except that I didn't really like Johnny Depp before I saw the Pirates of the Caribbean. But I think he has to be the one that can act out Jack Sparrow in the movie. No one else can replace that.

By the way, Juu 'eeeeeeeeeeee-d' through the movie..[/color][/size]

[I][SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]The movie was awesome. I was enjoying every minute of it. It's truly a great piece of work. I loved Jack Sparrow, he's your ordinary rude, drunk, comedic pirate. When I heard of this movie I thought it was going to be awfull, but it proved me wrong.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Actually, I dont think Cap'n Sparrow wasn't drunk the WHOLE time. Yes, he got drunk 2 or 3 times, but he walks funny like he was hit in the head too many times. I believe that he was sense he gets knocked unconsiouse twice in the movie. *laughs* I didnt really like Orlando Bloom in this one... of course... I didnt like him in Lord of the Rings either...

• 1 month later...
This movie only just came out in Oz (damn delay thingys *glares at who ever is responsible*) and I have to say I haven't loved a movie that much since I saw the first LotR.

I actually went to see it on a Fridday night then went again the next morning I loved it that much.

Johnny Depp was the greatest and I loved Orlando beyond anything (except his weird looking hat) but I almost cried when he kissed that chick.

If you haven't seen it, do so. it's awesome.

Pirates of the Carribean is the bestest movie EVER!!! ^-^ Orlando and Johnny are soo hott. Me n' my bff wanted to see it for Orlando (and the swords^_^) and my mom wanted to see it for Johnny Depp. Besides the bishies, the action was great. I absolutely loved it. And Jack was sooo funny!!! "But why is the rum gone???" :rotflmao:

Yeah well I had just moved and was over at my friends for the day when they told me they might go to the movies. Of course I was like sure whatever as long as I get some popcorn it's all good. Yeah at this point I knew nothing about the movie. I mean NOTHING! So I was a bit supprised when dead skeleton zombies showed up. Man and my friends had a little sis who is like 7....she must of gotten scrared...at one point I almost screamed and dug my nails so far into my skin I had marks the rest of the day. I went to like the first showing on opening day. my big bro had wanted to see it forever but I saw it before him which I'm guessing ripped up his insides. I saw again with my dad and bro tho. But I never saw the stuff at the end of the credits!*Bangs head against the wall*Ugh! They can't make a sequal! They'll screw it up so bad!*keeps on banging head* They probably will make them have a kid like in the mummy returns.....and then that kid won't even be on the movie posters! The rock will! Yeah well if it's a disney movie that isn't animated you can pretty much guess that there's gonna be viloince...anybody remember Swiss Family Robinsin? remeber the violence in that? The little brother was throwing bombs at pirates...how nice. but I loved the movie...it was funny,full of action, and a little bit of romance....yeah but I am SO going to buy it when it comes to dvd...I don't really think Bloom was hot tho...give me Leouglas anyday...and WHY IS THE RUM GONE?!?!

[color=darkred][size=1]This was a OK movie, I wouldnt call it the best, but I admit it was a good movie all and all. My friend at school always is talking about it and says she has seen it 7 times, and that shes going to go see it again at the drive in, same with Lord of the rings. Im not that into it ^_^[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GreenEyedDragon [/i]
[B]I think that was a really really great movie, i saw it last night.
My favorite character was Captain Jack Sparrows (Johnny Depp) but he kinda annoyed me when he kept switching sides [/B][/QUOTE]
I don't think he was really switching sides at all. I think he knew all along that he was going to do whatever possible to help Will. They just make you think he's switching sides. (They're tricksy like that... :demon:) *giggles*
I just read the first few posts on this, but someone said that Elizabeth's character was kinda flat. I thought she did very well for this being her first (big) movie. She was only 18 at the time. I liked the way she wasn't just a damsel in distress the whole time. She actually tried to save Will and help Jack. I think that some girls just don't like her b/c she ends up w/ Orlando Bloom. (Get over it, okay?!?! :rolleyes: )
Anyway, this is definitely one of my fave movies of all time. The music is [I]awesome[/I]. I finally bought the soundtrack. (YAY!) :love: The movie definitely ranks up there w/ LotR and The Princess Bride. :smooch:

[color=blue]I'm definately going along with the general consensus, being of the opinion that the movie was damn cool.
I saw it twice and was just as happy both times, but I would have to say (just lik everyone else) that Depp made the movie.
The man was damn funny, damn cool and damn se...
I loved the "Thats got to be the best pirate I've ever seen."
It was fantastic.
Last but not least, I really want Johnny's hair. Get me some dreads.[/color]