OtakuBoards

Pirates of the Caribbean

Ryo the Tamer

I saw it and , OMG Johnny Depp was so hot in it....;) The movie is a must see if (for the ladies out there) you like hot guys, cool fight/action scenes, and the not a half bad plot. The leading lady's acting was a bit poor, but oh well! You should go check it out for the fights, graphics, of course Johnny Depp...:) But just remember it's 2 hours long so be patient.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I didn't think Johnny Depp was that hot in it. I was hoping for more because I loved him in Chocolat. (... I cannot stress how hot he was in Chocolat.)

Anyway, he didn't do it for me in Pirates. I mean, his awesome swordsmanship and cool attitude were appealing, but the excessive eye makeup (although very good for his character) kind of bothered me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arkadyz [/i]
[B][color=skyblue][font=times new roman]Well Terpischore sorry but I was correct...Disney has just inked a deal for a sequel to Pirates and thankfully they have gotten all of the cast and crew from this one to sign up for the sequel...YAY :D

Heres hoping that the next one is just as good as this last one :p [/color][/font] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=b60039]:eek:NOOOO!!!!:eek: Agh...damn...Well yeah, I hope it's as good as this one, though I probably won't go see it, sequels just ruing things for me. There are few good sequels out there.

I think that the woman looked like a cross between Natalie Portman and Winona Ryder when her hair was down. When it was up, though, she looked like herself.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arkadyz [/i]
[B][color=skyblue][font=times new roman]Well Terpischore sorry but I was correct...Disney has just inked a deal for a sequel to Pirates and thankfully they have gotten all of the cast and crew from this one to sign up for the sequel...YAY :D

Heres hoping that the next one is just as good as this last one :p [/color][/font] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]eeeeeeeeee! Really!?
I just hope [spoiler]Will and Elizabeth don't have a child[/spoiler] in the next movie, like 'The Mummy Returns', or anything. But I'm really anxious to see a sequel if it comes out! That means more Orli and Johnny Depp as pirates. ^ .^[/color] [/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by terra[/i]
[b]Anyway, he didn't do it for me in Pirates. I mean, his awesome swordsmanship and cool attitude were appealing, but the excessive eye makeup (although very good for his character) kind of bothered me.[/b][/quote]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Really? I actually really liked the way they did his eyes. Eyeliner's always great. Not to mention the long hair. Long hair on guys is always great. ^-^;[/color] [/size]

I thought it was a great movie. The special effects where great and Johnny Depp was great in that movie. I like the monkey, mainly when he falls into the cannon. The reason why they where fighting was because Basbose didn't know that he took a coin and curse him self. and after the coin was reviel when Jack Sparrow turn into a skeleton. It mad Basbose made and it tend to cloud logic.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Terpischore [/i]
[B][color=b60039]
I think that the woman looked like a cross between Natalie Portman and Winona Ryder when her hair was down. When it was up, though, she looked like herself.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[FONT=arial]yeah, I thought she looked a lot like Winona Ryder in the face at some parts, especially when she was on the Black Pearl for the first time [spoiler]when she found out about all of the pirates being nothing but skeletons[/spoiler]. At certain parts if I had been, say, watching the movie on tv without having seen it before, I would have sworn it was Winona Ryder...with a wig. I never thought she looked like Natalie Portman though.
[/FONT]

[color=royal blue][font=century gothic][size=1]

That is exactly what my sister said when we saw it yesterday. That the girl looks like Natalie Portman. She did in some parts, to me. This was an awesome movie. I liked it a whole lot. The sword fights were cool and the way the made the skeletons was really cool, especially when[spoiler] when they are walking underneath the boat in the ocean[/spoiler] yah that was really cool. Johnny Depp's character was very funny, and probably my favorite.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=1] I found that Johhny Depp was the only reason this movie was any good. Sure, I enjoyed the subtle little touches here and there of humor, pirate nomenclature, and all that good stuff..but this movie wasn't anything amazing at all plot-wise.

It started out good, but towards the middle and on it just dragged.

First off, the fighting scenes, especially the one with the Black Pearl and the other ship, were way too damn long. Stuff like that doesn't need to be as long as it is. Is it furthering the story? Yes. Does it need to be drawn out? No. Do I really care to see an action scene that long? No.

Most of this movie was just action. That was the bread and butter, or the crouton o' christ of this movie. And I knew that was going to be there...but I did not feel compelled when all the fighting was going on, and I didn't really care about any of the other characters except for Jack Sparrow (/Johhny Depp) because he was played amazingly well by a very good actor.

So basically, I feel this movie was okay..but I was left with a dull and cliche taste in my mouth at the end. I mean, the story was pretty damn predicatable. I knew it was going to end either happily, with frolicking love, or it would end with someone's death (C'pt'n Sparrow's, indeed).

Johnny Depp was this movie. It shouldn't have been called Pirates of the who-even-gives-a-crap, it should've been called Johhny Depp, or Captain Jack Sparrow, or somewhere along there.

So otherwise, this movie wasn't as great as I thought it was.[/size]

Although the movie was predictable, I thought it was great. Johhny Depp made me laugh with basically everything he did, from his drunken demenor to his witty one-liners. In hindsight it reminded me a lot of Bruce Cambells performance in Evil Dead 3, where everything he did was baasically hilarious... though Depp seemed to be even better.

The action was good, Orlando did a nice job in his part, and the only fault was the predictable story. I don't think a soul in the theatre couldn't see what the deal was with Jack Sparrow. "Well, isn't this interesting."

So, I agree with most people, Johnny Depp basically made the movie, but overall it was a great performance.

I don't know if anyone noticed... but there was more after the credits. It basically paves the way for another movie, but I hope they go somewhere else with it. What they had at the end would kind of make the sequel about the same damn stuff.

For anyone that didn't see it... [spoiler]Basically the monkey is the only one still alive and he takes a piece of gold out of the chest. He runs through the moonlight and you see him as a zombie again, obviously re-affected by the curse.[/spoiler]

[color=orangered][font=times new roman]Ahhhh theres more after the credits? Bloody hell why didnt any of the reviews I read tell you to stay after the creds to see that...

Sighz oh well...Maybe if I see it again ill stay until after the credits :D

I would hope the next one though didnt involve the same curse again ya know...That would be alittle too repetitive... :rolleyes: [/color][/font]

I *knew* I should've stayed and watched after the credits ... my friends convinced me there'd be nothing more :-P

I just watched the movie "Bend It Like Beckham" and realized that Keira Knightley (sp?) is the blonde in that movie, too. It was really surprising because she plays this incredibly skinny, athletic soccer player who hardly ever wears anything other than gym clothes. At the end I finally realized it was the very same woman who wore a fancy dress throughout most of "Pirates of the Caribbean" ... just thought I'd share.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]Orlando and Johnny were so shexy in it! Jack Sparrow(Johnny Depp) was very funny. With his loose humore. ^___^ This movie is the ultimate for all of you who haven't seen it.

I can't wait till it goes on DVD. ^__^

-Kitty[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'v seen it 2 times, and yep, i'v seen the monkey at the end of the cradits, thats the scariest thing in the movie! >_< I didn't think it was that predictable, but that could just be that im 13. I didnt think the fights dragged on that much either.
Johnny Depp did an awesome job at playing Jack! I loved how he walked! Its like he was hit in the head too many times! And why the rum! Anyways, I thought it was a great movie, even though, at times the story line got a bit confussing. But not that much.

Man, yeah I saw it like a week or so ago. That is one of the funniest movies i've seen in ages! That Jack Sparrow... I love the hand thing he is always doin'... lol. I loved this movie. Two cute/hot guys, awsome sword fighting, and the whole funny as hell thing... it is worth the money. Heh.. the main reason my friend wanted to see it was Orlando Bloom.. lol... and well the fighting too.
From the advertisments for the movie it looked boring and nothing to ecxiting, but you have to see it to know how it really is.
I give this move: **********... a whole 10 stars!!! But yeah.. I recomend this movie to anyone.

It was a great movie, but parts of it just dragged on. Unfortunately, my younger sister was there with her friends, who squealed (literally, sqealed) when Orlando Bloom came on. I also agree that Johnny Depp made the movie. And, unfortunately, my sister now has a crush on HIM, too. She saves every picture of him she sees.

But why is the rum gone?

I've seen this movie seven times now and I plan on going again. I agree that Depp is the highlight of the show. And it's true that the movie does drag on some parts, but what can I say? I've been a huge fan of Johnny Depp and pirates since I was little.

Ahh, Orlando Bloom...I'm not a big fan. He's not THAT good looking and his acting isn't all that great.

And I LIKE Jack Sparrow's eyeliner. But then again, I happen to love guys who wear the stuff. ^__^

[size=1]I saw this movie just last night, and I went into it with unsettled hopes. I was not sure whether it was going to be good or bad considering it was a Disney movie. The fact that it was Disney made me think that it was not going to be all that great, but from what I had read about it in the newspaper it seemed more watchable. The fact that it was PG-13 was also a bit of a 'turn-on', as I was curious as to how Disney would pull off a PG-13 movie. That and Johnny Depp.

I agree with those who said that Johnny Depp's character, [strike]Jack Sparrow[/strike] [i]Captain[/i] Jack Sparrow, made the movie as great as it was to me. His drunken demeanor and witty, sarcastic comments were hilarious. He seemed like a character that could not stop moving, he always had to be doing something even when he was not on screen. Sparrow was a very dynamic character who always kept things interesting. I never really knew what he was going to do until he was going to do it.

Orlando Bloom on the other hand was not quite what I expected him to be. He and Depp were the two people in this movie that I was expecting a decent performance from, but Bloom as William Turner was very, very boring. Not to mention he was not all that pleasing to look at in this movie to me. That whole goatee deal was not working on any level. Turner was a very static character. He had one track to follow and one track only which made him very predictable. After the first scene of the movie, I pretty much knew the rest of his storyline.

The girl, of whose name I do not remember (too busy watching/wanting Depp, lol), was just as bad as Orlando Bloom. Being that their characters had a connection which was made apparent in the beginning she was also very predictable. Her hair bugged the life out of me ( except when it was wet... >.> ) because it just seemed too big and unnecessary, as well as her face seemed unnaturally smooth at all times. That was equally as irritating. Along with Orlando Bloom, her character just made me want to shout "Shut [i]up[/i], and put Depp back on!"

The girl's 'fiance' was a rather respectable character. Though he was static just like the rest, he was not on the screen enough to make him redundant.

Furthermore, those two soldiers were a decent comic relief aside from Captain Jack Sparrow.

When it was all said and done, I was rather pleased with the movie. Though it did seem to have several false endings, I think it was best that it was like that as no questions seemed to be left unanswered; all loose ends were tied up.

The fact that it is a [i]Disney[/i] movie amazes me a bit. I definitely must give them more credit than I have previously given them. With all the fighting an violence I was rather doubtful that I was indeed watching a movie made by Disney. Especially at the part when [spoiler]about three-fourths through the movie when the skeletons raided the boat and that first one killed the guy by [i]slitting his [b]throat[/b][/i], and they [i]showed[/i] that happening[/spoiler] I was just in awe and disbelief. I also especially enjoyed the cannon fire and any other explosion in the movie. Nothing seemed over-done/under-done; it was all very believable. So once more I must give Disney credit for keeping it real.

I did not stick around to see if there was anything after the credits, but from what I read here in this topic it seems as though this sequel will not be so good. As I said before, pretty much all ends were tied up, now it seems as though they are just going to stretch this already thin plot even more. I could be wrong, but that is just how it seems.[/size]

Yeah. Strangely, I thought Bloom was possibly the worst aspect of this film. His character is simply a vessel to give the film reason to stick in a love story, really. The sad part is that neither of the two involved really did enough to even convey it well. Every once and a while they'd look at eachother longinly. I guess that qualifies as love in these things.

The movie itself was rather eh. The plot was paper-thin, the characters uninvolving. There were some good action scenes at least. Like I said before, Depp saved this film.

And yes, I admit I have a totally non-sexual crush on Depp. The guy is freaking amazing, and my favorite actor... But I don't know how anyone could deny that, without him, this film would have been a pile of crap with no real value in any sense. He one of a few interesting characters in the film and made it worth my money, just barely.

Ja, that movie was just awsome! It's been so long since I saw a pirate movie that I accually liked

Jack was mah fav char in the whole film as I'm sure meny have mentioned (I didn't bother reading the entire thread. I'm lazy and it's long -__-;; ). I looked forward to the parts where he would show up more than any of the other chars <.<;; .

[quote]And yes, I admit I have a totally non-sexual crush on Depp[/quote]

Same here. Cha, he's cool <.<;;

[quote]The fact that it is a Disney movie amazes me a bit. I definitely must give them more credit than I have previously given them. With all the fighting an violence I was rather doubtful that I was indeed watching a movie made by Disney. Especially at the part when [spoiler]about three-fourths through the movie when the skeletons raided the boat and that first one killed the guy by slitting his throat, and they showed that happening I was just in awe and disbelief.[/spoiler] I also especially enjoyed the cannon fire and any other explosion in the movie. Nothing seemed over-done/under-done; it was all very believable. So once more I must give Disney credit for keeping it real.[/quote]

Well, they must've learned by now that the public (unfortunatly so) needs violence and such to be interested in something nowadays -_-;;

I thank Disney for their wonderful effort on the film ^-^ was a good difference and was deffinantly worth watching.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkmoon[/i]
[B]Well, they must've learned by now that the public (unfortunatly so) needs violence and such to be interested in something nowadays -_-;;[/B][/QUOTE][size=1]Well that was a given, I had read articles in the newspaper where Disney representatives mentioned such things. I was just saying that I was surprised with how far they went with the violence, like that example I had in the spoiler tags above in my previous post. My jaw literally dropped when I saw that, lol. They did not [i]have[/i] to put that in there, but they did. All they had to show was the fighting. They did not have to really show individual deaths, but they did. [i]That[/i] it what surprised me.[/size]