OtakuBoards

Concussed and Fellin' Terrible

Corey

[b]EDIT[/b] Please excuse the typo in the thread title.
[center]~~~[/center]

Earlier today I went out on my bike with my friend. We were pedaling, trying to pick up speed over a particularly flat parkinglot. I herd a snap.

My left pedal snapped off of the crank arm. The momentum from my heavy pedaling twisted my bike around with me still on it. I stayed on my bike, somehow, and dragged it for about ten feet. I guess I punched my brake lever. I then flew off my bike and whacked my head on the pavement.

I literally saw stars. You know those cartoons where stars roll around the characters head? That is exactly what it was like.

I got to ride in an ambulance all the way to a hospital. Then I got examined by both a chiropractor and a doctor for a variety of different injuries. They released me stating I had a mild/medium concussion and one hell of a lump on the back of my head. I don't have a skull fracture, nor do I have any damage save the concussion and lump.

I was extremely lucky. I could have died or become paralized. The lesson of this little tale, wear a fricking helmet. I usually only wear a helmet when I'm doing something especially dangerous, but now I plan on wearing one all the time. You just never know when something is going to go wrong.

Anyone else ever had a concussion or other major head injury?

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=1][B][FONT=century gothic]OUCH! That must have hurt...thank goodness your alright.

Heh, to answer your question. Yes, in fact I have, many times! But the one I'm going to tell you about, was hilarious when it happened.

I was little around eight or seven, we had just watched George of the Jungle about twenty times. We, meaning my sister and I.
We went outside and decided to play George of the Jungle with our Maple Tree. *bad idea*

Anywho we tied a rope to a branch and climbed up into the tree...*bet you can guess what happened next*

My little sister was scared to go first so I always having been braver said I would go first. *what an idiot*

I jumped out of that tree hanging onto that rope and smacked face first into the trunk of our maple tree. *yes, you can laugh*

I literally saw stars, like in the cartoons, but I only saw them for a moment, then everything went black.

I woke up some time later on our leaving room couch with my six year old sister yelling that I was dead.

Anywho... I'll never forget that day.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Ah yes...head injuries....many times, many times. There are so many i cant tell them all but i'll tell a few.

I remember i was about 5 at the time and me, my rother and my dad all finished watching Gladiators (that cheezy sports challenge TV show). So it was like a ritual that after Gladiators we all played a game called. DADIATOR. My Dad basically just fought with us (well when i saw fought, i really mean, let me and my bro kick lumps outta him lol.) So anyway, when i was playing Dadiator, i was running away from my Dad and turned around and slammed right into the corner of a concrete wall.

Another one was when i was about 4 or 5 and my Dad was tieing my shoelace and i was holding a pencil (sharp side up) when he pulled my laces tight he jerked it too hard and cought me off balance and i fell and the pencil stabbed right into my forhead. It actually was slightly dug into my skull.

Another was when i was playing a game of Hidey-Tig and this was not that long ago. I was running along a fence, running away from the person who was het. So yeah i was running along and i jumped onto this guys Shed. I was ontop of it hiding, when the guy must of heard me and opened up the door and strated shouting "Who's There?!". So i crapped myself and tried to jump off the shed over a fence and land on the grass at the other side ( i swear, we play kiddie games then turn them into Comando life or death games lol). So i leapt but i did it so fast without thinking (this was dark too becuase it was late at night) i slipped and my trailing foot, while in mid-jump, smashed though the shed window. So i was flipped upside down with my trouser leg caught on glass. Of course the guys started to run out and my trouser ripped and i fell head first into a Gardening Spade. Blood was pissing out from all angles. I just leaped the fence and continued the game. Then went home.

So yeah. There are more, but i think i've ranted enough lol.

Dude, that bites!! o.o''

Anyways, I was skateboarding one time, and I hit a curb trying to ollie onto it so I could do a board slide, right?...fell straight on my face ^^;;;

I also was in a fight one time, and he broke my nose...hehe, but not after I broke his arm and busted his right eyes open :devil:

[size=1] [color=skyblue]I kno this kid who got a really bad one when him and his friends snuck out to go building hopping...he ended up missing a building ledge and fell down to the ground head first. He had to go through therapy, and was absent from school for quite some time. But he's fine now, hope ur head feels better asap K.O.T.R.![/color] [/size]

[size=1] Oh...I have damaged my head many times...

First time was when my family and I were at a river when I was bout five. My sister dared me to jump off a rock, and I did (being the idiot I was) and my head split open. I was rushed to the emergency room and had to get stitches.

When I was about 6, my family and my aunt's family went to this beach house in Florida. My sister and my cousin were fishing, and they told me to go get some more bait...or something. I was running, and I ran right into a glass door. I was knocked out for several minutes.

I was at my cousin's house when I was about 4, and he was pretending to be horse, and I was sitting on his back. He slid on the wooden floor and I slammed into the wall, head first. I was knocked about...again.

When I was about 7, I was at a roller rink. Some guy jumped in ahead of me and I got surprised and went out of control. I made contact with the wall, head first. Guess what? I was knocked out.

When I was 7, I was annoying the hell out of my dog by pulling its tail, and it got mad and attacked me. The dog hit head my head and fell back hard onto the wall. Can you guess what happened? [/size]

I have an incredibly hard skull...just recently I wan attempting to tackle my brother and he moved, I ran my head into our door at full speed, and I left a crack in the door...my head faired better though all I had was a painful headache for an hour or so and a sore spot for 2-3 days.

Yeah, while riding my bike actually. There's a place near my house called "the bowl" and it's basically just a huge bowl that people ride their bikes down and tehre's trees everywhere, well the secret is that you can't put on the breaks or you'll lose control. Well I did, flipped over my bike and ran right into a tree. Had a concussion and my knee has never been the same.

[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=1]Oooohhhh.... Some of these sound pretty painful...

Heres another time I got a concussion, and came close to being knocked out...

9 years old: I was riding my bike and while I was riding the sun suddenly popped out of nowhere and hit me in the eyes. Temporarily blinded I veered off course and ran straight into a curb, but that wasn't what worried me, it was the brick mailbox behind the curb that worried. Of course that was what I flew into head first, and for some strange reason I laughed and laughed and laughed some more while white spots swirled around obscuring my vision. I know weird, but I did, I didn't cry, just layed there and laughed for possibly a good five minutes. Then I got up and rode home again, feeling light headed and nuasiated.

11 years old: I was riding my bike on a hill, it wasn't steep or anything but it still made it harder to break, not that it would have mattered my breaks were slightly broken anyways.
So back with the story, I was riding my bike on a hill, and I looked behind me to see if a car was coming, because I thought I heard one behind me. When I turned back around, this white parked car is right infront of me, I was to close to turn away, so I put on my breaks, which didn't do anything.
I hit it full blast and flew off the bike, I would probably had gone pretty far, if it hadn't been for that stupid windshield... My head smacked into it, and somehow I did a flip and landed on the hood in a laying position. I saw a fair amount of stars, while I layed on top of the car. Eventually I got up and got back on my bike and rode, somewhat slowly and shakily, back home.

Ever after that I sort of began wanting to be a stunt person, I don't know why and I still kind'a want to be one, but right now it's just a hobby I practice once in a while, like sometimes I 'll get the urge to suddenly ride my bike smack into something, or free fall off a wall o.O sometimes I scare myself...[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

I feel invincible :) I can't get hurt XD Well, at least knocked out or anything. I suppose I'm just really slick and unharmable... or not... umm... you like hot dogs? Yeah, me too... they're good... I prefer ketchup on 'em... maybe some radish... yeah... mostly ketchup, though...

Anyways, I did pass out once or twice, but that's nothing. I believe my biggest injury was breaking open my head which my parents easily sewed back together. Nothing serious :P

Guest Randleman
[color=crimson][url=http://www.hansrey.com/lessons/crash.mpg]THIS GUY[/url] looks like he got a pretty bad concussion from his bike.[/color]

Just this last Winter, my mom hit her head fairly hard. We were coming back from a weekend of skiing, and when we finally got to the driveway of our house, we had to stop the car due to the fact that it had snowed all weekend and there was quite a lot of ice. So, instead of waiting to shovle the snow or let it melt, we started moving our bags from the bottom of the driveway up to the house. I was carrying a few bags to the garage when my mom called out for me, and when I went to her, she was sitting up on the ground. Aparently, she had slipt on some black ice on the driveway, when she thought it was safe to get off the side and was close to the car anyway. My mom had went down hard backwards, saying that she literally saw stars when she hit, and when I lifted her up and looked at my hand, it was covered in blood. So, yeah, that night we rushed her to the emergency room, though she stayed unusually calm during all of this, and she got stiches and a few staples. Luckily, it was nothing serious; she didn't have a concusion, she wasn't knocked out, and bascially came out of it with a lump. She's lucky, but she tells me that if she was knocked out and never woke up, that it was so sudden that she felt no pain. It was waiting a few seconds for her brain to realize what had happened before if started hurting.

I myself have gotten through life without even a broken bone, luckily. But, while we're on the subject of injury, there was this one time on a bike... I had borrowed my friend's bike to ride around, since he was over at my house, and I wanted to see how much air I got on this one curb that was small, yet it got the job done. Granted, this bike was a lot lighter than I was used to; the one I usually use is a mountain bike while my friend's is a trick bike. So, I started on the other side of the street, got a lot of speed, then went off the curb, causing the bike to completely flip backwards and topple right on me, pinning me to the ground. I just laughed it off, though; it didn't hurt anywhere at all.

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=1][B][FONT=arial]I also have made it through life without breaking a bone. ^-^
Though one time I fell off the roof and hit my kneecap on a rock, and for some time my parents thought it was fractured but it wasn't. My parents don't really take you to the hospital if you get hurt, they just patch it up and say, "It's O.K".

Infact the only time I ever went to the hospital, was when I was five and ripped open my thigh on a screw *darn ghetto swingset* Anywho they rushed me to the hospital to get stitches, before I bled to death.
It was pretty funny to me at the time, because it didn't hurt me at all, I wasn't crying or anything, I just walked calmly into the house bleeding everywhere and said, "Mommy I cut myself, I need a bandaid." Then they went all beserk and kept telling me I was going to be fine, that I wasn't going to die, and I was like Of course I'm not, it's only a big scratch.
Heh, I had to get a tetnus shot and nine stitches.
I still have that scar because my parents didn't take me back to get them removed, they just removed them themselves. I personally think that they didn't get all of them.
Yeah, my parents are like that...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]So, I started on the other side of the street, got a lot of speed, then went off the curb, causing the bike to completely flip backwards and topple right on me, pinning me to the ground.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happens a lot.

[FONT=arial]I was once going down my stairs once and tripped then fall on my head on the last step. Though I didn't go to the docter or anything, I just went to bed. The next day I felt better. Now I now to never run down the stairs. Though I never go upstairs anymore. But anyway.

That's the only thing that's actually happend to my like that. Once I was on the swing and I tryed to jump off and do a back flip and I hit my head. Though I didn't go to a docter or anything. I just went inside and sat in class.

Also onse a was riding my bike and I was trying to do a superman off of a dirt ramp, though it was a very small ramp. By the way a superman is where you take your feet off the pedals and put them to your behind, but you keep your hands on. My hands slid off and I scraped my chin badly. Though I didn't go to the doctor.

Oh and once, lol, I tried to do a backflip on my ramp once. I was on my quater pype. I got good air and then I was flipped and hit my head straight on the board that kept them together. Luckily I had a helmet on. That's the las t time I try that. But my ramp rottened and we tore it down. I hardly right my bike anymore.[/font]