OtakuBoards

Freashmen

Guest EtErNaL DrAgOn

[size=1]My brother starts high school this year aswell, he could care less though. High school is fun. Once you make friends and get settled in you'll be fine. I was really nervous/scared when I started high school. We had moved that summer so I was going into a completely new school, but everything worked out. My brother has been to my school several times, and since I go there hes more at ease than I was. Also the fact that hes really tall for his age. ^_^[/size]

Guest Taylor Hewitt
I'm starting high school as well. But it seems you made two of these threads. *blows whistle* Merge these two threads! :D

[color=0099ff]I'm going to be a Senior for the second time. :o Well, I was never a pesty Freshman. When I was one, people thought I was a Junior or Senior. But I like calling Freshmen "Freshmeat." Sometimes they'll make the mistake of coming up to me and asking where a certain room is. I smile and tell them it's in the oppisite direction of where it really is. :D[/color]

Last year I was a freshman, but everyone thought I was a senior (I'm really short too, so I don't know what's up with that). Still, if you're going through the "backways" to your class,look as if you've been going through there all your life, and if you get stopped by an upperclassman, look bored and stare over their shoulder, but respond and make sure you know everything that's going on around you. It's okay to act smart, but not too much of a smart aleck.Just pretend you know what you're doing.

Gohan's Guide to Surviving Freshman Year:

Step 1) Make sure to have an older sibling as a senior (My brother was a senior when I came in...4 years ago...).

Step 2) Get to know as many fellow freshman through your classes, orientation, and other activities (both in and out of school).

Step 3) Have your appendix taken out (True story - I missed a month and a half of freshman year [October 15th - December 1st]). :naughty:

I found that having the same core classes with the same 20+ students made things a lot easier. For 4 years, we had most of the same classes (about 92%). Everyone knew everyone and we helped each other out...most of the time. ;)

Best is to take it easy, get acquainted with your teachers A.S.A.P., act "normal" (where you try not to look like a freshman = looking like one; and well, you are one, nothing you can do about that), and enjoy yourself.

I miss high school...but college owns...3 day weeks, 4 hours a day...*drools*

:D

Oh, and [b]have fun[/b]!

I am starting highschool in September and I am not too excited.Why? well...
1.Although I am going to a tech school like I wanted, The school is 95%male and 5%female.Scary, a male dominated school.Not too many girls.

2.None of my friends are going except for this guy that was in my class last year.

3.I heard the neiborhood wasn`t good.

4.I would have to go through metal detectors and get serched for guns,knives,etc

5.I am not ready for high school right now.

Those are my five best reasons for not being excited.

Guest Taylor Hewitt
About the metal detectors... in some schools they have them. I mean I haven't seen any of that but scary stuff can happen in schools. If you saw the movie pay it foreward. I know - it's just a movie. But it could happen.

Freshman year, hmm...you'd think I'd remember more of it, as it ended for me two months ago. >_< If I recall correctly, the beginning was pretty awkward, but as soon as I got to know some people it turned out all right. Heh, things got kinda into a rut for the remaining portion of the school year.

I would really suggest you join some after-school activities groups; well, at least one. You meet a lot of new people that way.

[color=silver][size=1]Buy batteries in bulk. Never forget your CD player. Ever. Was it not for my CD player, I would not have made it through freshman year. Of course, I was given numerous detentions [ that I never attended ] for listening to music between classes. Buy those little itty bitty headphones that fit in your ear. You can stick one in your ear and hide it with a beanie. I can't tell you how many horrible tests I got through simply by listening to Aerosmith or Eifel 65 in one ear.

As for the social interaction, don't worry about it. You're going to spend a lot more time worrying about the upper classmen, then they're going to spend worrying about you.

Expect to be teased about being 'fresh meat' or a 'freshie'. Personally I enjoyed being called a 'freshie'.

The best advice I can give you, is have fun. You're only going to be a freshman in highschool once. My freshman year was by far the best year of my life. Life is so much more relaxed and easy-going. The work is harder, but the atmosphere is great. If you're into the punk scene, you'll be amazed at how many shows there are. Go to as many as you can.

Enjoy yourself. :) Good luck. :devil:[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Pressure [/i]
[B][color=silver][size=1]Of course, I was given numerous detentions [ that I never attended ] for listening to music between classes. Buy those little itty bitty headphones that fit in your ear.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

*grins* We had a kid that did that once (we're not even supposed to bring our walkmans to school) and he claimed it was a hearing aid. The teacher believed him... O_o *twitch*

Well... I'm in Year 13 this year, which I think compares to Senior Year... and after this year I'm off into the big wide world, go me!

But when I had my first year of highschool, I remember being pointed in the wrong direction more than once. But you manage, and teachers are sympathetic for the first week ^_^ - Or at least they were with me. We don't have so much going on by way of clubs, but I figure that's a great way to go out and make friends. Just try and stick your foot in, first impressions really count. (Belated impressions aren't too bad either, so don't worry too much ^_^)

Just go, be yourself, and have fun. Schools, especially American ones in my opinion, (it doesn't start until yr 12 for us - we all look identical until then, darn uniforms O_o) are where you get to really express yourself and prove who you are ^_^ Don't be afraid of it!

Don't List
1.carry tons of books(dead give away, SHARE LOCKERS, IT HELPS!)
2. Act stupid( people who do this....immediately are looked down at)
3. Get lost at school....know your way around!
4. become a teacher's pet...be smart, just don't let everyone know it.

Tip list

I acted normal, and surprisingly most of my friends were upperclassmen. A good thing, plus I didn't look like a freshmen....be careful not to wear to weird of stuff the 1st day; once people know you, go for it if you want to.

Go out for plays and sports...you'll get to know lots of people that way and maybe letter in some things, too!

Good luck, and don't worry the seniors are way nice( if you aren't a complete weirdo)!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Emme888 [/i]
[B]....be careful not to wear to weird of stuff the 1st day; once people know you, go for it if you want to.....
[/B][/QUOTE]
[FONT=arial]ah yes, forgot about that.

also, do NOT dress up for the first day of school, unless you just dress up every day or something of that sort. and don't bring your bookbag on the first day either, since they're just gonna be handing you papers with rules and such (easily disposed of in purse/pocketbook/pocket). course, that quirk could just be at our school or something, lol.[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]That's a good thing, you don't have to worry about being shot or cut up now.

And how can you not be ready for high school? [/B][/QUOTE]
What I ment was I don`t think that I am mentally mature enough for highschool. I know, it does seem pretty strange.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G.D. Ryoko [/i]
[B]What I ment was I don`t think that I am mentally mature enough for highschool. I know, it does seem pretty strange. [/B][/QUOTE]

You're worrying about it more than you need to... freshman year is just like an extension of middle school really.

We don't have middleschool here... but really, high school and grade school aren't as different as people want you to think. The way grade schools are now, they're practically set up like high schools as it is. Classes split up into periods, the various clubs and sports teams and everyone is just as nasty as you're used to.

I also should add that I laugh at the title of this thread everytime I see it. Freashmen... lol.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G.D. Ryoko [/i]
[B]I am starting highschool in September and I am not too excited.Why? well...
1.Although I am going to a tech school like I wanted, The school is 95%male and 5%female.Scary, a male dominated school.Not too many girls.

2.None of my friends are going except for this guy that was in my class last year.

3.I heard the neiborhood wasn`t good.

4.I would have to go through metal detectors and get serched for guns,knives,etc

5.I am not ready for high school right now.

Those are my five best reasons for not being excited. [/B][/QUOTE]
Wait a second. you wanted to go to a tech school but you didn't think there would be a lot of girls? Also what kind of tech school would have people that carry knives and guns? Maybe we have a different definition of tech schools but yours doesn't sound like one at all.

Guest mamatermite
High School is awesome! You shouldn't at all dread it. How bad your freshman year can account to depends on where you go to school and the past history of freshie pranks. A lot of the time the upper classman could care less about the freshies...and then you have your select few that get a rise out of making the young and innocent totally embarassed. You just really shouldn't worry. Be confident in yourself and don't worry too much about what others think.

I remember one day of my fresman year, I was walking up the steps and I tripped...key phrase here: UP the steps. Well naturally I got a few snickers here and there, but it was a blast because I was able to laugh at myself- I was practically rolling on the ground becuase of how hilarious it was. Everyone forgot about it the next day, but I still break out the story here and there for a good laugh: remember the day when....
~Now i'm the one running down the hallway telling the girl in front of me to walk faster and pull up her pants.

In High School you make friendships that will last a lifetime. Remember to have fun!! There's nothing to worry about! It's a blast!