OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

duelist22

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have about 216 Missions done and my clan rules My main character right now is like level 40 something and training to be a blue mage he is already been a White Mage, Paladin, Ninja,Thief, Soldier, Fighter, Black Mage, and learned like 3 archer abilities.

I beat the Queen easy I had my main character Tony named after my nickname hack away at her with Double Sword as a Fighter using the Red and Blue Ayvuir which took me a little while to get once I got the Red and Blue Ayvuir I was kicking major butt! Now I am doing a total rehaul of my team trying to get them ready to get all 300 missions done and the side missions.

[quote name='Wingnut Ninja']My only beef with the game was the multiplayer mode. I would have much preferred to battle against a friend's clan than "compete" with them in a points style format. That was one of the rooting factors that put me off from playing FFTA to the bone. Oh well.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Hey, just be glad you got to play multiplayer mode at all. I've played the game to death by myself, but no one else I know owns the game, so I've never even gotten to try out multiplayer. I'm still wondering what the two player missions are like.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I'm still wondering what the two player missions are like.[/color][/quote]

Basically, you have co-op and versus. In co-op, you and your buddy (if that) choose two clan members each, and put them against four ordinary monsters and one boss. The monsters aren't a big deal, but the boss has to be hit in a certain order if you want to defeat it, so between you and your friend, [spoiler]you have to take it in turns to attack it and put it in its place[/spoiler]. Something to do with its defence mechanism, I think.

I appreciate Square going through with the effort to add some depth to the game in terms of multi, but really, that just got annoying for me.

Versus just has you and your partner compete against a bunch of monsters, where whoever kills the most, wins. Simple.

Whether you knew that or not, I have no idea, but to me, it's nothing spectacular. It's a decent enough way of retrieving rare items, though.

Anyway, I read through the whole thread, and I wish I was around when it was starting up; I would've been interested in [strike]boasting[/strike] posting about my clan details and all that, but right now, a year on, I don't really think anyone will give a damn lol. FFTA was definitely one of the highlights of last year, though.

[color=#4B0082]Hmm, that's kind of disappointing. All I knew was that there's co-op and versus modes, but I was hoping there'd be another mini-story for co-op mode, like there is for the extra missions that open up after you beat all 300 of the normal ones. And for versus, I was hoping you'd actually get to play a six vs. six match against your friend's clan, like you do against any other clan you meet on the road. But as it is, it sounds like I'd get bored with multiplayer pretty quick. ... Though I'd still like to try it some time, if only to get the rest of the mythril weapons I'm missing. As I've said many times, those things are a bugger to find.

And yeah, this was a fun thread when a bunch of people were playing through the game. I'd still be interested in reading some of your clan's stats, though, if you want to post 'em.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Heh, I'm actually lending my copy out to a friend, too. (Nice that you get at least two save files in FFTA. Games with only a single file annoy me.) I kind of wonder how long he'll have it; whether he'll go through it quickly, without bothering to do too many "side quest" missions, or try and go for all 300. Also, I'm curious about he'll manage his clan. It'll be neat to see another playing style, with how he builds up his characters and how many of them he regularly uses.

And come to think of it, I wonder if he'll figure out the controls alright, heh. I didn't give him the instruction booklet, and I forgot to mention some of the weird little things about the menus. ... Like holding in B and [i]then[/i] pressing Start to bring up the main menu in a battle. Even with the instruction booklet, it took me a couple weeks to learn how to do everything, that being the last thing I figured out. :cross:

And yeah, I went kind of crazy with my clan. Even after I completed all 300 missions, plus the extra missions, I just wandered around the map, getting in fights and taking on what few missions I could keep doing over again, trying to get more mythril weapons. I think I gained three or four levels across my whole clan (as in, all 24 characters went up three or four levels) from doing that before I finally got bored. And in all that time, I only managed to get one more mythril weapon. So I say again: those things are an absolute pain in the [expletive deleted] to find.[/color]

You'd be surprised by how different my styles and strategies differed from my friend's. I remember him moaning about how I'd need a Summoner if I wanted any chance of defeating Mateus, but I managed to come through with my usual plays. Now that I think about it, I never really used a Summoner to begin with.

What I really feel, though, is that Bangaas are underrated. Everyone seems to bash them left, right, and centre without even consenting them. Even in real life, my friend only realised the capabilities of a Bangaa after witnessing the destructive power of my Templar. Funny that, because I always looked at them as the glue of my crew, heh.

Whilst on the subject of Bangaas, if not for Dragoons being able to hit from a span of two panels, then I would've used the Gladiator job class instead of it. It's funny how two factors like that manage to cancel each other out in that sense, and it's another reason why I love tactical based battle systems, because this level of depth can't really be achieved in real time battles like that of the other FF games.

As for the controls and little tidbits scattered through out, I know what you mean. It took me by surprise when I figured out that you could quick-scroll down the item menu by holding L and up/down. But that's just it; my friend was extremely apprehensive about getting FFTA because he'd heard about its notorious depth and complexity. I can see which angle he was coming from, as I went through the same pains when first getting to grips with the PlayStation title, but when all that starts to sink in, it's actually very much worth it.

All in all, though, I feel kind of bad, because I never played FFTA in the same way as I would other decent games. I have a nasty habit of going for 100% completion in all of the major games I play, but with FFTA, I suppose I lost interest somewhere along the line, as I'm far from completion. Like I said before, though, my motivation came widely from multiplayer and the competition involved, and seeing as that never met my expectations, the incentive didn't really last long.

I got back into the game a few months ago, actually, but the cycle of mission items put me off again. Bleh.

Anyway, the moment you've been waiting for, my clan:

[b][u]The Clan Stats:[/u][/b]

Name: GoodFellas (if you think I'm going with Nutsy, you've got another thing coming lol)
Level: 65
Clan Points: 65
Freed Areas: 9
Missions: 196

Combat: 42
Smithing: 40
Appraise: 46
Negotiate: 45
Magic: 41
Craft: 43
Gather: 43
Track: 47

[b][u]The Clan Members:[/u][/b]

Marche:
Level: 50
Jobs Mastered: Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage, Fighter, Thief

Montblanc:
Jobs Mastered: Gunner, Thief, Black Mage

Lidenbok (Human):

Nelson (Bangaa):
Jobs Mastered: Dragoon, Gladiator, Templar, White Monk, Warrior

Bianka (Vierra):
Jobs Mastered: White mage, Assassin, Sniper, Fencer

Cheney (Human):

[spoiler]Ritz:[/spoiler]
Level: 32
Jobs Mastered: White Mage, Fencer

[spoiler]Shara:[/spoiler]
Level: 30
Jobs Mastered: White Mage, Fencer

And the rest aren't worth mentioning. When I read through this thread, I was craving to play, but as it is now, I'm feeling pretty much normal. I'll see how it goes, anyway. Hopefully I can get in a few extra missions.

Regarding the Mythril weapons, linking up with another cartridge seriously takes a load off your shoulders. I've mastered many more jobs than I originally would have because of it. You should've persuaded your friend to buy the game rather than lend it to him, heh, because you're stuck in between a rock and a hard place, as it stands... those Mythrils are just real smart-*****.

---

Ninja's are undeniably useful when it comes to levelling up, though, I know that; Double Sword + Masamune x2 = Good night, Mississippi lol.

I'm a bit one-sided when it comes to combos, because I personally think they're just for show-boating. It's a lot easier to dish out ten JP on a Totema than have to set a plan into motion for the combo to work to a decent degree.

Bah, I've gone on long enough here. You have [spoiler]Cid[/spoiler], right Desbreko? What's his field? I've heard that he controls the law in your favour, or something like that, but nothing for sure.

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, I have [spoiler]Cid. He's okay, and his abilities can be useful sometimes, but I don't really use him too much besides keeping his level up with my other clan members. The three abilities of his that I find useful (I can't remember if he has others) are Yellow Clip, Bind, and another that I can't remember the name of. Yellow Clip removes a yellow card from a character during battle, which can let you get away with breaking lower level laws every now and then since the penalties aren't incurred until the end of the battle. Bind, if it hits, inflicts both movement and action disabilities for one turn against a single enemy. And the last one, the name of which I forget, lets you break the law with no penalties during your next character's turn. Mainly I find Cid useful for when I get stuck in a fight with really annoying laws.[/spoiler]

And actually, yeah, I don't think I ever even had a character that could be a Summoner until really late in the game. I mainly use my Viera for their Sniper/Assassin abilities, and attack magic is mainly left to Frantz (Nu Mou), Clay (Nu Mou), and Jon (Human) when I'm serious; Clay's Giga Flare is a force to be reckoned with, heh. Odette, my Summoner, really only got good once she learned Doublecast.

Bangaas, though, I've had a lot of appreciation for since the start of the game. Early on, White Monks' Air Render ability was extremely useful, and later, I grew to love Dragoons' two panel piercing attacks with spears and their breathe attacks, not to mention the long range Jump ability. And then Gladiators' magic sword abilities. Short of Marche, my Bangaas can more damage with a single attack than any of my other characters can, besides possibly my two best magic users when they cast Flare.

As for Ninjas, they are indeed useful. But myself, I mainly just find them useful for their Double Sword ability, which can be transfered to other jobs. When I have Marche as a dual-sword wielding Paladin, he can easily do over 500 damage with both slashes. And that, combined with him having stuff equiped that boosts his movement to seven panels, makes him a grade-A badass. A Ninja's action abilities, however, I find to be rather useless. If I want to inflict status effects, I can do that a lot better with an Archer, Sniper, or Gunner.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find Gunners as awesome as I do? Their attack range is insane, they can learn the Concentration ability which makes it so they almost never miss, they're pretty powerful for a Moogle job, and they can inflict status effects while doing the same or very close to the same amount of damage as with a normal attack. I don't think there's anything I like more in FFTA than wreaking abolute havoc among my enemies with a Gunner, while he sits far enough back that they can't attack him. Plus, I think it just looks hilarious when a cute little Moogle walks right up behind someone, pulls out a gun, and shoots them in the back to KO them. Nothing can top that.[/color]

I imagined Cid wouldn't be the type of character you'd get use to as a partial clan member. I like keeping my Almighty cards because they're scarce, so someone like Cid could be useful to a fussy guy like me. Same goes for Dmg2: Human, Vierra, Moogle, etc.

Double Cast is an essential ability for any character who can learn it and is willing to go into the magic field. I didn't know that Summoners could use Double Cast for their summon spells; I was thinking more along the lines of it being compatible with red/white/black magic and a few others that don't come to mind right now. I was surprised to see that my Nu Mou, Quin, already came with a mastered Ultima Blow, because I always saw Giga Flare to be the much more useful attack, as it deals lethal damage (not as much as Ultima Blow, probably) and can span through a greater number of panels. It would be awesome (but very broke) if Nu Mous could learn Double Cast, though. That would be a killer.

The Dragoon's Jump is incredibly useful, I agree, except it has a tendency to miss quite a lot for me, which usually got me angry. As a result of that, I usually use it as a last resort for when my Dragoon has nothing better to do than wait around. And, I've seen what Paladins can do, even when they aren't fully tooled up to the highest of their ability, they're pretty deadly. Unfortunately, I don't have any Nagraroks or Excalibur 2s, which are supposedly their greatest weapons, so I would've been better off with the Ninja job class and their Masamunes. I had an Ebon Blade for a Fighter, but Ninja still turned out to be the better choice for me.

As matter of fact, my Moogle is a Mog Knight with his A2 abilities set at Gunner. Mog Knights, though not as powerful as Fighters or Paladins, can do some good damage up close, and have some pretty handy physical abilities (which I can't remember if they were elemental in name only, like Gladiators). So, with good close-range combat skills, and fairly decent long-range attacks, I think that's a balanced combination, especially that I don't have enough Fairy Boots to go around. Heh, and Moogles do look funny when pulling a gun out from behind someone else. I always found the fact that the Moogle's guns are a lot bigger than the Moogles themselves to be odd lol.

[color=#4B0082]Ultima Blow? I've never heard of that ability before -- what weapon teaches it? I'd thought I had all the Sagacity abilities besides the combo, but I guess not.

As for Doublecast, it can be used with any magic abilities, you just have to select it from the Red Magic abilities. Then it brings up a list of all your magical action abilities, including summons. If not for Doublecast, I just wouldn't bother with summon abilities -- I don't find their wider area effect to be all that useful.

And yeah, I'm using a Nagrarok and an Excalibur2 on Marche. They rock, heh. Not only is the Nagrarok powerful, but I think it also adds one to the wielder's movement stat. Also, I'm pretty sure the Excalibur2 has a Holy elemental attribute, making it even better against undead monsters. And as for abilities, I usually keep my A2 set to Fighter, which nicely compliments the Paladin's more defensive abilities.

About the Mog Knight with Gunner abilities, though, I thought I had tried that, and the Gunner's abilities weren't long range. From what I remember, the abilities would have the same effects, but they'd also have the same range as the Mog Knight's normal attacks. Ie, one panel, which I didn't find too useful.

The combinations I find most useful for Moogles are Gunner/Juggler and Mog Knight/Time Mage. With Gunner/Juggler, you have pretty much all of the best status effects in the game right at your fingertips, and all of them can be used from range. And with Mog Knight/Time Mage, you've got some decent physical attacks (Mog Knight abilities are very similar to those of a Fighter), and you can also use Haste and Quick to speed up your party or give one of your more powerful characters another attack instead of attacking yourself. Also, Thief/Juggler can be amusing when you're feeling sadistic; disable an enemy, then steal his crap while he can't do anything about it, heh.[/color]

Oh yeah, you're right, all Gunmanship abilities are defeated by spanning a mere one panel when paired with the Mog Knight job class, or any other of the kind. That would be pretty stupid if that method didn't work the other way around, but it does, so who's to complain. *feels lame*

Quin was one of the special characters you get, and his default job was Sage. Ultima Blow was just one of the abilities he came with, kind of in the same way that Palanza came with Ultima Sword, and Lini came with Ultima Charge, etc. From what I know, it's a unique ability just for that character, and has no real effect towards the mastering of the Sage job class in general. Giga Flare owns it, in my opinion.

I never got around to using Jugglers, really. I was too infatuated by the cool sounding jobs at first, and left stuff like Animist and Juggler out. I think they're both pretty good jobs, in terms of inflicting status effects, and Animists have a few elemental-type weapons... though they aren't very reliable on inflicting large amounts of damage.

When it comes to pairing jobs among characters, I always try and let them differ from each other, unless I'm trying to master abilities and jobs, or whilst I'm levelling up. If I opted for all the best jobs and combos, then the game would no way have been as enjoyable as I found it. Even if multiplayer was in the form of a deathmatch, I still would've made the effort to let my clan and its members vary as much as possible, like with Pokemon. I had an unbelievable amount of different Pokemon at level 100 in each GameBoy release, and I still owned at it. :D

[color=#4B0082]Okay, now I'm wondering why I've never heard of Quin, Palanza, or Lini. Do you get them from playing multiplayer or something?

For job pairing, though, that's what's nice about regularly using a full clan of 24 characters. Myself, I have four Moogles in my clan, so until I started mastering jobs and switching around, I had them each doing something different. Montblanc was a Thief/Juggler, Lidenbok a Gunner/Gadgeteer, Sharu a Mog Knight/Time Mage, and Kent an Animist/Black Mage -- and that's all of the jobs that Moogles can have, I think. So I got the full variety of jobs, while being able to mix and match them however I wanted.

I guess instead of having a smaller group of highly diversified characters, I prefer the route of having a larger group of specialized characters. Before I started mastering many jobs, I'd decide what jobs I wanted a character to have, and then stick with those two until I mastered them or I ran out of abilities that I could learn with them at that point. I had specific characters for pretty much every area: Fighter/Paladin, Thief/Ninja, Archer/Hunter, Fencer/Red Mage, White Mage/Sage, Black Mage/Alchemist, Gladiator/Templar, Gunner/Gadgeteer, etc. I found managing a large group of specialized characters to be a lot of fun, since I was constantly changing the characters I'd use in battle, depending on what the situation called for.

Maybe if I ever play through the game again I'll try limiting myself to eight characters or something and see how I do. It would be interesting to use a different playing style instead of just doing everything the same again. I'd probably plan very carefully how many of each race I'd want, though, and what jobs/abilities I'd have them learn first. I don't think anything's going to get me away from the habit of micromanaging my RPG characters, heh.[/color]

[color=royalblue][size=1] I have these semi secret characters: Pallanza, Lini, Cheney, Quin, Vivi. I'll tell how to get 'em

[b]Lini:[/b] Equip "The Hero Gaol" mission item on a mission like "Metal Hunt". When the character comes back, Lini has a chance of joining (Lini is a Moogle)

pb]Pallanza:[/b] Equip "Wyrmstone" mission item and go on a mission like "Metal Hunt". When the character comes back, Pallanza has a chance of joining. (Pallanza is a Bannga)

[b]Cheney:[/b] Equip "Snake Shield" mission item and see above (Human)

[b]Quin:[/b] Beat mission 67 (can't remember the name of it) and Quin might join. (Quin is a Nu Mou)

[b]Vivi:[/b] Beat all the clan challanges, including the last one where you face the "White Rabbits" again. Vivi has a chance of joining. (Vivi is a Viera)

[b]Elenda:[/b] Equip "Elda's Cup" as a mission item and see either Pallanza, Lini, or Cheney. (Eledna is a Viera)

Oh, about Ultima attacks, I have two weapons which teach one.

[b]Seventh Heaven (bow):[/b] Teaches Ulitma Shot

[b]Zanmato (Katana):[/b] Teaches Ultima Masher

Hope that helped.[/color][/size]

[color=#4B0082]Ah, that would explain it. I'm pretty sure I had a full clan by the time I got those missions/items, so I wouldn't have gotten any offers for new members joining. But whatever; I'm happy with my clan as it is. Thanks for the info, though.

And yeah, I have a Seventh Heaven bow and Zanmato katana already, so my characters (a few of them anyway) know Ultima Shot and Ultima Masher. I find them useful for finishing blows every now and then, but they take so dang much MP that I can usually only use them once per fight.[/color]

• 4 months later...
I dont know if there was ever a thread on this, but there have been new members sinse then and they may have played it!

I understand that this game is meant to be played for 150 hours, and I know people that have. I decided to pick it up, and discovered that it is an extremely addictive game. Before I knew it I had played for 10 hours with only 8 of the 300 missions. The battle system was a little weird for someone who usually plays Zelda and Fire Emblem, but I got used to it. So, do you like this game? Do you have any tips for me?

My only suggestion is not to get rid of any Quest items. The missions give you everything you should need to finish all 300 missions. I had done 299 and found that I needed a blackthread to do the last and the missions with black threads can only be completed once.

[quote name='Meggido']My only suggestion is not to get rid of any Quest items. The missions give you everything you should need to finish all 300 missions. I had done 299 and found that I needed a blackthread to do the last and the missions with black threads can only be completed once.[/quote]

OMG, I had the same EXACT problem in my second game! Just guess how much it pissed me off to have like a dozen [I]White[/I] Threads when I needed a black one! :bawl:

Okay, it was my own fault that I ditched it when I had it... I just thought it was one of those recurring items that only take extra space in my inventory. Playing all 300 missions [spoiler]and more with Cid after them[/spoiler] was my main goal when I started the game second time through - and how wasted those 100+ hours turned out to be... :(

[color=#4B0082]Helpful tip that no one ever seems to use: [b]Use the Advanced Search function, set it to only search in thread titles, and type in the title of the game to see if there's already a thread created for it.[/b]

But yeah, I've merged this with the original FFTA thread.

As for the game being meant to be played for 150 hours, it really just depends on how fast you go. If you want to be thorough, it can easily last that long and more, however; just depends on how much you want to do. Completing all 300 missions, plus the extra ones, will easily take over 100 hours, though.

Personally, I have 182 hours logged on my file (as you can see in an earlier post, along with my clan and character stats). It probably took me about 150 to complete all the missions, and beyond that was just leveling up characters, playing around with abilities, trying to find those dang mythril weapons, etc. Gets a bit boring after you've completed all the missions, though, since there are so few that you can do over again. Also makes raising your clan level really hard -- I'm at 86, though I would've worked towards 99 if there were more than about two missions that I could do over and over to gain clan points.

For tips, the biggest one is what Meggido said: Don't throw away mission items unless you have multiples or you know for a fact that you can get more. It takes a while to reach the limit (64) that you can carry, but it's still a good thing to always keep in mind. I didn't have any trouble with this myself, but I just naturally horde items, heh.

Also, another thing that I didn't realize for a long time is, always send mission items along with characters on dispatch missions if you have spares. If you look at the items' descriptions, they have various effects when taken along, some of which can be extremely helpful. One of them, for example, doubles the amount of AP that a character gains upon successful completion of the mission -- very useful when you want someone to learn an ability fast.

Third tip: Diversify your clan! I know some people don't want to be bothered with managing a full, 24 character clan, but it can really pay off. (I know some people have played through only using six characters, and it's possible, but it can come back to bite you sometimes.) Regularly using a lot of characters means your clan's members will be lower level than if you only used a handful of characters for every fight, but you can have a lot more abilities at your disposal if you use a variety of characters with different jobs. So even if your characters are lower level, you can field people whose jobs give them an advantage in nearly every battle. This, combined with the fact that enemies' levels are adjusted depending on your own, is invaluable at times.

Just starting off, don't worry about having a big group of regularly used characters, but I tended to accept every character that wanted to join. I'd take a look at their stats, abilities, etc., maybe use them a bit, and decide if I wanted to keep them around. If not, no big deal -- you can just boot them from the clan with no worries. Just keep on the lookout for characters that start out good in a particular area, if you want to add a new clan member and actually use them regularly.

For example, if you decide you need another mage, don't accept a fighter type into your clan and just change his job to a mage. A character's job when they first join your clan is always the area that they'll be best in, so if you're looking for a mage, wait for a magic user of some sort to offer to join, and use him. Same thing with any other job. If you do this, your party will be all around more powerful than if you just chose randomly, because your characters will be holding jobs that reflect their stats.

One of the greatest things about FFTA, I think, is the amount of the depth the game has, while still allowing people to get through it without tons of strategy and planning. They'll have a harder time, sure, but with some leveling it can be done just fine. And for people that really want to get into it, there's tons of factors that you can consider when building your clan, to get the best performance possible out of your characters. The game gives people the best of both worlds.[/color]

• 4 months later...
Guest Spark1313
Hey I just found tis place its good to see other people loing this game as much as me. Ill tell you my clan Marche Ninja lvl 29 Montblanc time mage/black mage lvl 24 Grandi Fighter/paladin/soldier lvl 28 Vasil dragoon/templar/white monk/defender/warrior lvl 28 Crowe black mage lvl 24 Ritz fencer/red mage lvl 30 Ezel hermetic lvl 30.Game time is 43 hrs I ve had a question for so long seeking an answr.......how does Ezel get new skills there MUST be a way i mean cmon when he starts he only knows 2 spells there must be more and how?

[color=#4B0082]As far as I know, Ezel can't learn any new abilities. There are a few characters that you can get who have their own special job, and can't learn any skills other than the ones they come with -- Ezel being one of them.[/color]

• 10 months later...
Well I opened this tread to see how popular ff tactics really is. My opinion is that it is one of the only worthwhile games for the gb advance. One of the only problems with the game is that you cannot seem to actually fight other people that have the game, you can only team up with them.. :animesigh O well.
Seems to be that I allways talk about making sequals for the game but they pretty much covered all the ground for this game and making a sequal would not really fit in with the story line.... In a way that sort of sucks...

• 5 months later...
[size=1]I love this game to bits. It's the only GBA game that I've played over and over again.

Anyway, I've never been able to figure out how to use a Blue Mage's Learning Ability. I've read through this thread trying to find some hints, but they either aren't in here, or I've missed them.

Can someone help me out?[/size]

It's been a while since I played, but for a blue mage to learn a monster's technique, the monster has to perform it on him. Best to take control of the monster with the Nu Mou Beast master class, and then use the desired attack. Make sure you do not have reflect or counter on the blue mage, though.