OtakuBoards

The X-Men Movies--Super or stupid?

Silent

So,about the X-Men movies. . .Well,I'm a huge X-Men fan,so I was really excited just to see my favorite characters on the big screen.It was very well done,for the most part,though they did make a few mistakes,in both movies.However,I heard that lots of non-fans(quote,unquote,"Normal people")couldn't understand it and thought it was stupid or boring.So,what did YOU think. . .?:p

I liked the first one, LOVED the second, although I kind of feel like they are covering too much territory in too little time, but they are covering themselves and justifying it. I don't like James Marsden as Cyclops. Cyclops is supposed to be a leader and he is written and portrayed as whiny and petty. No sir, I don't like it... What are they gonna do if Jackman and Berry don't sign on for #3, which they haven't yet??

I notice most people that find it boring are those that would never like that type of movie in the first place... or someone who hates something just because it has something dorky like comic books attached to it.

I thought they were good movies. Especially the second, which I preferred in every possible way.

If they don't get some of the people to sign on for the next film, they can always just say they went somewhere. Characters disappear from comics all the time.

I wouldn't miss Berry anyway. She's probably one of the worst aspects of the film in my opinion. What the hell happened to her African accent in the second one anyway?

Excellent question, Berry is also my least favorite, along with marsden, as I mentiond. I don't think the movie would have as wide reaching appeal without those two, which is alright with me. The second time I saw X2, the theatre was packed, and this lady had 4 small kids that could not behave and she refused to take them out until tthe meanager was called in... it was awful. Hooray for less mass appeal!

Indeed,they could simply say that Jackman and Berry's characters simply "went somewhere" but,seriously,what would they do without Wolverine or Storm?The only reason they chose the line-up that they did(because in the comics,this particular team never existed) is because these are the characters--Jean Grey,Wolverine,Cyclops,Storm,and Rogue--that non-fan people are most familiar with.I mean,even if you're not totally into the comic scene,you've probably heard of Wolverine and Cyclops and Storm and maybe even Jean Grey and Rogue.I mean,if you take out Storm and Wolverine--Wolverine especially--they've got nothing.If they tried to do a movie without those characters, it'd just be some half-done,weak attempt to make money.And I'd rather that they just stopped than try to make an X-Men movie like that.

I loved both of the movies of coarse I have to agree that Berry and Marsden don't play their characters well at all.

Berry (as already mentioned) didn't use an african accent in the 2nd film like she did in the 1st film and I'm sorry ,but you just can't do that.

As for Marsden he is doing to much of the "argue with Logan" thing and not enough of the leadership part.

Yes Logan and Scott disagree on alot of things, but they don't argue that much.

Both Berry's and Paquin's accents disappeared in the second film. It's better than Halle didn't use it in the second film. If you pay attention to the first one, her accent shifts between different parts of England, Africa, and a few other accents I'm just not sure of.

For the third movie, I'm looking forward to thm bringing a few background characters to the front, like they did with Iceman. Bobby only had a few short scenes in the first film, but became a more important character in the second. I hope that the third movie let's us see a little more of Colossus, Shadowcat, and Jubilee. Not to mention the conflict with Pyro, and (of course) a little bit more Nightcrawler.

Gah, it's gonna be tough to fit any other characters in a movie that centers around [spoiler]Phoenix[/spoiler]. She takes all of the attention in every mission she does.

If she couldn't do the accent, I don't think she should have done it in the first place. I've never understood the love this woman gets, to be honest. David Bowie's wife would make a better Storm. Her name escapes me though.

They did introduce a lot of characters in the second one, some more important than others. Considering how young Jubilee was in it though, I wonder how much of her they'd use in a sequel. In any case, I really do think that there is enough to work with that they could totally ignore Storm. To a lesser extent even Wolverine. Yes, they are big characters, but they've already laid the foundation through the first two. They aren't totally required at this point, in my opinion.

I've always wondered why Nightcrawler wound up being so priest-like. I thought he was actually a demon of sorts? lol That was the original idea anyway... I don't think he was originally part of Marvel.

I can't believe that they're actually gunna do the Pheonix Saga.I mean,if non-fans were confused by the first two movies,then I don't even want to know what's going to happen when they watch the film adaptation of that story arc.I think Brian Singer did a good job with the film line up so far(besides the way he undermined Orroro's character).The first movie was supposed to be a sort of introduction,while the second was an adaptation of the 1980s arc by Chris Claremont called "God Loves,Man Kills."I'm interested in seeing how he plans of putting the Pheonix Saga into a comprehensive form,seeing as it was one of the most confusing arcs in all of comic book history.I mean,how will people react when they find out that [spoiler]Jean didn't really die[/spoiler]...?

I think almost everyone knows she didn't. I don't know who you talk to, but none of the people I know were all that confused by it. It's made rather obvious throughout the entire film that she is getting new powers that she can't really control. Even my girlfriend, who hates action movies and doesn't care about comics, figured that all out for herself lol.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I don't know who you talk to[/B][/QUOTE]
Well,I read about six reviews of the movie in various newspapers and such and all six referred to the movie as being "Less than intelligent,but still entertaining."The general complaint of the six reviewers was that the movie was hard to follow and they made several refrences implying that the first movie had the same "problem."I suppose I could be over-generalizing.
Anyway,they can do just about anything they want with the movie,I don't care,so long as it stays true to the X-Men and doesn't wander off into some overrated,cheesy,made-only-to-milk-the-frachise direction,I'll be happy.:babble:

As for Nightcrawler,he's always been a part of Marvel,as far as I know.His demonic appearance was created by his parents--Mystique and Sabretooth.Which isn't quite surprising,when you take into consideration the physical mutations of both these mutants--yellow eyes and blue skin of Mystique,and the "fur" of Sabretooth.As for his religiousness,I don't believe there was any logical explanation for it.I believe the writers simply decided it'd be a good twist to his character...And it,indeed,is.He's always been one of my favorite characters besides Shadowcat and Pete Wisdom,mostly for his religiousness.I'm not personally religious,but his character fascinates me in that aspect.Continuing to believe even after being cursed with his demonic appearance,even as most people cower from him--believing him evil. . .Well,anyway,I hope to see more of him and his character in future movie(s).BTW,did anyone notice the Munich Circus Posters on the walls in his little hidey-hole in the church that was actually original concept art from way-back-when the Fuzzy Elf had just been created. . .?

Double posts aren't allowed here... I'll just edit them together before someone else does.

[quote]The character was created sometime earlier however, and was not originally intended for the X-Men. In fact, he was first offered to Marvel?s ?distinguished competition?, DC Comics, for their Legion Of Superheroes offshoot, The Outsiders, but was deemed ?too funny looking? by DC?s editor Murray Boltinoff.

Created primarily by artist Dave Cockrum, who had sketched the demonic looking character several years earlier, Nightcrawler ended up in the X-Men when it was decided to include a non-human, almost scary character in the new team line-up. Another of Cockrum?s designs, the bat-winged Vampyre, was also considered, but the entire creative team preferred the blue-furred, barbed-tailed Nightcrawler, and didn?t think there was room for two good-hearted, freaky looking characters, so Vampyre was scraped in favour of Nightcrawler.[/quote]

So obviously all the X-Men tinged stuff came later. I remember reading he originally was from Hell or something like that, although I'm probably mistaken. I know the creator never understood why he took that whole religious angle.

I questioned that mostly because I'm not totally familiar with Nightcrawler's history with Marvel. Oh well.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Silent [/i]
[B]Well,I read about six reviews of the movie in various newspapers and such and all six referred to the movie as being "Less than intelligent,but still entertaining."The general complaint of the six reviewers was that the movie was hard to follow and they made several refrences implying that the first movie had the same "problem."I suppose I could be over-generalizing.
Anyway,they can do just about anything they want with the movie,I don't care,so long as it stays true to the X-Men and doesn't wander off into some overrated,cheesy,made-only-to-milk-the-frachise direction,I'll be happy.:babble: [/B][/QUOTE]
It's ironic that they say it's less than intelligent and say it's confusing. As for Nightcrawler being religious, in the comic books I'm pretty sure they find him in a monastery. So they didn't make that up out of thin air, but he was never ever that preachy.

[COLOR=deeppink]Love your avatar, Silent, I used to spend hours playing that game.

I don't think that Jackman will leave the cast. I believe he has said that he wants two great trilogies under his belt before he retires. X-Men will be one, and he's going to star in an upcoming one.

Why would anyone miss Storm? Her role in the first two movies were so small that they would hardly be missed. Sure, she had a bigger role in the second movie, but still, she pretty much serves as something to enhance other characters.

Anyway, I love the movies. I'm more than angry that they never gave Rogue her complete powers. I understand it in the movie, since falling in with the Brotherhood would probably have made her less sympathetic. Still, I want to see her in kick-butt mode again. She's too dependant.

Also, I hate Toad, and I'm very glad that he wasn't included in the second movie.

I'm glad that Cyclops has been sort of written down, myself. I never did like his character all that well.

NIGHTCRAWLER ROCKS!

I hope they have Gambit in the next movie, he is one of my favorites. I'm just curious, how many people cought his "psuedo-cameo"? And how many people cought Beast?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Nerdsy [/i]
[B][COLOR=deeppink
I hope they have Gambit in the next movie, he is one of my favorites. I'm just curious, how many people cought his "psuedo-cameo"? [/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]
Right when it said mutant archive or whatever I made sure to look for noticable names, there it was.

Well,where ever Nightcrawler came from,he's still a very interesting and depthful character.
As for Storm's character,I think that she should be included in the movies.I mean,she has a close relationship with almost all the characters,including Jean Grey and Cyclops.I've heard rumor of an attempt at Gambit being introduced,and Storm had a very strong friendship with him as well,as they were both thieves and could relate.
As for the cameos,if you watch the list,you can spot a ton of characters,from Remy Lebeau to Samuel and Paige Guthrie.And I also caught the Beast cameo,as the guy being interviewed on TV.They had wanted,or so I heard,to do a full-blue Beast cameo,but didn't have the budget.
I think one of my favorite scenes was when Colossus transforms into his steel form.I think they did that wonderfully.It was so awesome! I really wish he'd had a bigger part.

^^ I caught it as well and Beast's cameo.

Personally, my biggest complaint with the two movies is that they created this alternate universe but used the same charectors. I mean, Iceman was part of the original team and so was Shadown Cat. And I'm pretty sure I didnt see an angelic-feathered Warren Worthington III either. What they really need is to make Apocolypse the next villain and do the "Age of Apocolypse" story arc. That was the best by far. Then we could have Storm in leather and a Mohawk! But I'm sure they'll uyse the Hellfire Club and the Shi'ar instead and tottaly ruin the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga...*sigh*

Well,I agree that the Age of Apocalypse was one of the best story arcs,but that would be SOOOooo hard to explain and fully show in under three hours and with a limited budget.I also didn't like the alternate universe thing.I mean,if you're gunna do an X-Men movie,shouldn't you keep to the X-Men continuity?I do understand why they didn't totally stick to it,but still,they even changed Wolverine's background and everything. . .And the fact that the original team wasn't. . .well,the original team(Scott,Jean,Warren,Bobby,and Hank) is gunna change a lot of stuff. . .I wonder what they're gunna do about it. . .

I also caught the Beast cameo, and thought it cool, but I wish they could have played it up more...

As for the alternate universe, they aren't going to do anything about it, I bet. They've set up for they're non-sequitor stories, leaving long-time fans to roll their eyes while snaring people who have no other exposure to the saga to think, "It's the GREATEST EVER, WHOOO!"

Okay...? You might want to try and keep up with the topics you're posting in. We're far beyond that lol.

I understand why they went and changed a lot of the universe. Between things that would take too long to explain, things that would be too confusing without backstory, things that would be far to expensive to make a normal addition (that's a huge factor in Archangel's appearance, I'd imagine), the fact that they have to constrain themselves to what normal people want in movies, and so on... It's just expected, in my opinion.

Some of the choices are questionable though. Sometimes I wonder why they do things the way they do, especially when they could obviously play off some of these ideas with the correct characters instead of shifting them around and changing some of their backstories.

Yeah,I understand perfectly well why they changed *some* things,but can anyone tell me why Mystique had to be nude. . .?I mean,as far as I know,she's always worn clothes.The only reasonable explanation is that she's naked just to bring in more people,but I'd really like to think there's a more depthful reasoning behind it. . .In addition,why doesn't she talk?I mean,she's got about 10(if *that* many) lines between both movies. . .In the comics,Mystique never had a hard time talking.And she often had her own agenda,apart from Magneto's,whereas in the movie,she's just sort of another one of his lackeys(sp?). . .

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]The official DVD release of "X2: X-Men United" is set as November 25, with a retail price of around $29.95.

What, too much? Well, then, check out these [url=http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=2369]screenshots of the special features menus[/url]. This is just a glimpse of things on the DVD, and its looking like it will be HUGE.

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

I wasn't all that impressed with X2, so I shant be purchasing it. X2 felt like a typical movie sequel...just lacked the edge of some other sequels. I suppose considering that the original X-Men didn't impress me, I wasn't going into X2 with any enthusiasm. Spiderman, though, that was an instant DVD purchase and I'm really looking forward to Amazing Spiderman.