Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[size=1] Don't worry, this thread is brought to you by a full-blooded otaku fan. :3

It's just that anime has made a more negative than positive effect on me.

Anime is a very interesting and fun thing to have as a hobby or interest. It's just that many people tend to get obsessed/addicted to it, and can't leave the TV screen or get off the computer while looking at anime stuff.

In my own experience, I've suffered from low grades [a frightening experience for me, since I was used to getting striaght As], attitude problems, and being so 'into' anime that for a while I could not talk about anything else except my favorite anime shows. It also shows you a world of pornographic fanfictions and art, and some people get addicted to that, too. =_=

On the up side, I've been introduced to drawing the stuff, and I really enjoy that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it striped me of all my money as well.[/size]
Posted
I highly agree with you with the grades thing. I have suffered the same thing with video games. However, your desire to succeed, or your life's goals, should definately be able to override this addiction when the time is nigh.

Take myself for example: all through high school, I procrastinated and made it through lazy street (with A grades). However, the same thing doesn't fly in college, and the current situation makes my blood boil. There's an extraordinary # of students aiming for med school (more in my Class of 2006 than ever before). I'm taking the most crucial courses to my future this year, and the fact that a greater percentage of the students must fail than pass gives me a great feeling of exhilaration. If you get a C in Orgo (either I or II), you can kiss your chances for med school good-bye, and that's the 50% mark for curves. So, I've worked like a dog this week alone, and I'm on top of my courses. I'm nervous as hell, but I'm arrogant and stubborn enough to know I can Ace this and beat out the competition.

The point is that it's mind over matter: if you want something strong enough, you will sacrfice your entertainment for it.

EDIT: I can't draw for squat, so, personally, anime doesn't have an artistic affect on me. :)
Posted
[color=royalblue]No, you simply lack moderation. I've always liked anime, but I never let it completely control my life. An easy way to save money: Let your friend tape all of them for you, especially when you don't own a TV, and then go to her house and watch them all night long. It saves time, it saves money, and there's no comercials.

When you do things by halves, you suddenly have more time, and when you simply enjoy anime for what it is, you suddenly have more to do. It's just easier to chill and go with the anime flow, then madly rush around watching everything new. For example: I have Princess Mononoke, a gift from a friend, and people still want to borrow it. And my other friend has Arika, and I'm still borrowing it. ....and still another has the entire Slayers Box set. Soooooooo.....yeah.

We make a little anime go a long way.[/color]
Posted
[size=1][color=skyblue]
The grade thing has probably happened to me. But I am not used to getting straight eyes. Anyway I do not let anime control my life. I do alot of other fun stuff. But I tend to get addicted to it and don't want to leave or anything. Then I think " Hey I can just record it" then I do my own thing. So I see what your point is about how anime may become obsessive/addicting but its according to the people that is watching the anime.
[/size][/color]
Posted
I don't suffer from anything but feeling hieghts, jumpiness, dramaticy(sometimes), and the occasianal fist or sword fighting. Also, if you can't guess, I think I'm addicted to Kenshin (MY BABY!!). I find it harder to like real men(exept for Brad Pitt and Heath Leadger) then alot of more girls my age. Oh well... more men for the non-demented girls...
Posted
I don't have an anime obsession like that, but my situation was similar to that of AzureWolf.

My procrastination came mostly in Middle School (in 7th and 8th grade, to be exact). I got a 2.5 and 2.83 GPA in those years respectively, and those were pretty much my worst years grade wise. Mostly because I went a little too heavy on the video games, heh.

I still play video games fairly often, but mostly on the weekends when I have some damned time to actually play them. On weekdays I have too much homework to play them. That and I have to check OtakuBoards everyday. I need some OtakuBoard moderation lol...

I've done really well for myself in High School (3.5 Freshman year, 3.67 Sophmore year, and 4.33 Junior year) because I've taken my studies a bit more seriously. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have time for some gaming...*goes to play Super Smash Bros.*
Posted
[color=#707875]The anime isn't evil...these issues that you raise are problems with will power and so forth.

I think we all have something that we'd rather be doing than schoolwork. It's mostly just a question of choosing to put those things aside for a moment and focus on the work. It's the same with anything, really...whether it's movies or video games or whatever.[/color]
Posted
anime doesn't effect me grade wise...it effects my w/ the language they speak, Japanese

anime has driven me to learn Japanese so bad that i have my friend Masumi talking to me in Japanese at school...sometimes she gets mad at me...lol

but w/ the drawing...i used to draw dbz characters...but i can't draw so i quit lol
Posted
Hm.. In my personal experiences, anime hasn't really affected my schoolwork much.. I only watch it when I have the time, and schoolwork comes before almost everything else for me. In fact, depsite the fact that I'm running low on my cartoon violence meter, I haven't watched Evangelion or read any violent manga for 2 weeks now.

But, like ladyperson 7890, I have been inspired to learn to speak and write Japanese so that I can give my manga I draw a more authentic feel.. And thus far it's turned out pretty well, despite my horrible grammatical errors when speaking it.

"THE PARTICLE WORD 'O' SHOWS THAT A TERM IS IN AN INFINITE TENSE?!! WHAT THE @!#$?!?!"

Do a little of everything, not do a lot of one thing, Maladjusted. That's just the way I think of things.
Guest silvercloud
Posted
At first anime did seem to affect my grades, but know I seem to be getting even better grades than before I liked anime. I guess it's just a matter of time.
Posted
[size=1] Yeah, I was lacking of self-control.

I'm not obsessed with anime anymore [as some of you have assumed], and I've taken an interest in other things. I barely even talk about the stuff anymore, even though I still like it.

I blame myself for what happened to me, but how much self control can a fifth grader have? [...yeah. O_o][/size]
Posted
All anime has done is draw me away from full-time online gaming to full-time dling and watching... My grades are still at the B level (don't get the computer unless it is). It really hasn't had a positive effect either, as I don't do that much more. Ah well.
Guest Blade00
Posted
I don't think anime is evil, it doesn,t affect my grades.In fact i found this site browsin the web lookin at Trigun stuff.
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]It hasn't effected me in the grade area, it has just made all my hard earn cash fly out the window. ;_;
I have been lazy becase of it, yes. But I've always been a computer freak, so it has just given me more things to do on the internet.
I don't let anime totally control my life and I do save money when I need to. I don't really buy alot of DVD's, it's the manga that is draining me. I mean, 10 bucks for a book I read in a hour. I could read a series in a day if I wanted to. Sure I may be an anime freak, but I'm not an addict, I need time away from it sometimes. I only buy what I really want so I don't always waist all of my money and so on. I STILL HAVE A LIFE!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
I agree with you that some people get obsessed with anime. I can't think of a single kind of obsession that would be healthy for the..... um, obsessor. Yeah, I just made up a word. Anyway, as the Greeks used to say, strive for the "golden mean." That just means that moderation in all things is the way to go.

Whether your hobby/passion/pastime is anime, video games, Star Trek, knitting, horseback riding, or whatever.... remember, there can be too much of a good thing.

~Dagger~
Posted
Moderation is basically a law of life, your time is worth so much per hour, and if you used all your spare time on 1 thing, then scarcity damages the other activities. So, if you use Moderation, Anime should have no major detrimental effect on someone.
Posted
Nothing's ever effected my grades (except ,maybe, a few hard English papers). I'm obsessed with video games (right now it's FFX) and anime, while still getting honor roll. I'm also a lot better at drawing than I used to be (my mother likes to show off my fan art now). You should finish what you start and learn how to control an obsession, even though mine is almost uncontrollable (my big word of the day).
Posted
[color=hotpink][size=1]I never let it affect my grades, but I did get to where I would spend all the money I had on anime. And then I would be broke for a long time. Then I actually cleaned up the house for money. Wait, isn't that a good thing? Ah well...

I still splurge every now and then. Especially with my Chobits stuff. But I don't do it NEARLY as often as I used to. And I have cable now. And I haven't watched a single anime show yet. Weird...[/color][/size]
Guest Skyechild91
Posted
I guess it is... I like amnga better, deffinatley. Naoko Tecuchi (sailor moons artist) said that the anime of it had a more masculine perspective. I like manga better, the only reason i watch this stuff is for the boushin (sp) and the voices.
Posted
Anime really hasnt affected me much, except for that cash problem most of you seem to have as well. It really hasn't affected my grades from what I can see. On the plus side i'm a avid manga/anime style drawer now. :D
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kenshinsbabe [/i]
[B]!) I find it harder to like real men then alot of more girls my age. Oh well... more men for the non-demented girls... [/B][/QUOTE]

hehe, im with ya!

well except for this really hot guy in pe...cept that's a different story^^

yeah, i get obsessed too, except mine only last for a while, so it really doesn't affect anything
Posted
I've only had a cash problem with video games, but one of them is about an anime. My friend is borrowing it right now. It's so cool! The only problem I've had with anime is finding blank tapes to record them on.
Posted
[QUOTE]criticize~ 1) To find fault with: criticized the decision as unrealistic. 2) To judge the merits and faults of; analyze and evaluate.[/QUOTE]
Well, considering that everyone is talking about the effects of anime has had on them, why can't they post? Also, none here are bashing anime, there just saying what [i]can[/i] happen.

And, if you think about it, most of this site is based on fan criticism. ie. Did you like this show/that scene/this series/the music?

[i]ok, now that that's off my chest.... back to topic[/i]
Anime hasn't affected me much as it is not my main hobby, that dubious honor would be computers, but I certainly became aware of how much of it is out there, and therefore how much remains to be seen. And I will admit to being a raving looney about a particular show now and again.

*ping*,
kmjk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...