OtakuBoards

amazing

lea

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Wrist Cutter[/i][/QUOTE]
[B]Have you ever heard the quote "A butterfly beating its wings in China may cause a hurricane on the other side of the world"?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Chaos Theory. I practically live by it.

Y'know, I once heard that when scientists tried to figure out what the most intricate and overall best body-system in the world was, it turned out to be the human body. Is that cool or what? Ok, now on to the flames:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]Note he said "some god" (and also did NOT capitalize the word "god"), which does not necessarily mean he means "your god."[/B][/QUOTE]

Don't take everything so literally. You can naturally suppose that when he says "some god" he is using that to state that he has no belief in a god, and is therefore using the term nonchalantly. The same goes for why he didn't capitalize it.

Later, Knight says, "And if so, *the god* is a moron." He is not talking about any god in particular, if my interpretation serves me correctly. By using "the god," Knight is again not referring to any god in particular, simply referring to "the god" that created existence, provided there is one and provided that humans are the only specie in existence capable of comprehending emotion.[/B][/QUOTE]

Calling ANY god a moron is discriminating against all religions that worship a god. For everything else in that quote, see above.

Sorry to break it to you, dude. Your reply...was totally useless and has no leg to stand on, because you didn't pay attention to use of language and syntax.[/B][/QUOTE]

So because he didn't use proper grammar and spelling, his post was useless? He still got his point across.

I've read Knight's post for a few times now, and there is NOTHING in there to insult your religion. He does not finger your god, he does not call your god stupid. You're bringing petty childish crap into this. Grow up and read for once, before attempting to teach someone a lesson or rip them apart.[/B][/QUOTE]

He's calling any god stupid, which includes his (and my) god.

Are you proposing YOU have the answer? "Surely you couldn't be claiming some sort of rebuttle [sic] agaisnt [sic] his point when you yourself cannot claim any point of veiw [sic] with some sort of fundamental evidence?"[/B][/QUOTE]

I go with drix on this one. If you haven't even experienced God working in your life, you couldn't [B]possibly[/B] understand the way we think, whereas we've experienced both sides of the table.

Gee, correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't you attempting to display an understanding of God?[/B][/QUOTE]

He's trying to say that nobody has an understanding of God. Is it really that hard to figure out?

?unbeliver? what is that? Is it an organ of the body? Maybe an alternate liver? Or is it a nonliver? I believe the correct term you were looking for is ?nonbeliever.? Doesn?t that fit a whole lot better? ;)[/B][/QUOTE]

Man, you [i]are[/i] going to be an english teacher, aren't you? I've seen a whole lot of literalists in my life, but you just might top them all.

One last thing for you, PT: what is it that causes you to be so spiteful towards drix? Maybe you do think he had some things wrong, but any normal person would just state his point and be done. The only reason I can think of is your enormous ego (and don't say it isn't true until you read the entire last half of your post where you are saying nothing but how you will be high and mighty by getting low pay for shoveling facts into the minds of kids who would, for the most part, rather be [i]anywhere[/i] than there). Are you honestly that convinced that you're better than the rest of the planet? Either way, it gives you absolutely no right to be a dick to someone who did nothing to you.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KnightOfTheRose[/i]
[B]If we are the only beings in this vast universe, wether we arrived through evolution or being placed here by some god, that can comprehend emotion or the such, then it is one hell of a waste of space.[/B][/QUOTE]

Is it really that hard to imagine that God loves us enough to create an entire universe just to satisfy our natural human curiosity? Anyway, you shouldn't even try to match the thoughts of the guy who brought you into existence. It's just a stupid thing to do.

And so I shall shut up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KnightOfTheRose [/i]
[B]I recently found out today that if you put thirtyfive people in a school room together at 87degrees, turn off the lights, and put a movie in, the entire class will be asleep by the end of the period.

Now that's amazing. [/B][/QUOTE]

At my school, everybody will be asleep at the end of any class period.:p

Double posting is a nono. *shakes finger menacingly*
Anyway...

[quote][i]Orginally Posted By That one Guy That Said It[/i]
[b]Is it really that hard to imagine that God loves us enough to create an entire universe just to satisfy our natural human curiosity?[/b][/quote]

In a word, yes.

I think it's amazing how any forum on any topic will eventually become a heated argument(or debate, if you prefer). I like debates :). However, I found out something that seems rather amazing to me. I often find myself with a light case of insomnia, and have tried sleeping methods. So far, the only thing that really works for me is kind of odd. You all know that you can say something, while thinking something different at the same time, correct? Well, I start with "row, row, row your boat" in the front of my mind, but I only half-mouth the words for a while, after which I only think them. Then, I utilize that "back" part of my mind where my thoughts can contradict my words, and I jump in with "row, row, row your boat" in the same time signature as "gently down the stream" I can continue to go through the song a few times like this, getting better as I progress, but it takes a hell of a lot out of my brain, so I usually fall asleep from mental exhaustion. I think it's amazing because there's the possibility of tapping into an even deeper section of your brain to start the song for the third time, then the fourth, and so on. So far, it's one and two for me, but I think I'll practice. It's a unique concentration exercise because you know the goal you're trying to reach, and it is just a question of whether or not you have the ability or the effort to push yourself a step further.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PloKoonDS [/i]
[B]You want to know what is truly amazing?

When a person can be quiet and not cram there opinion down my throat.

~Plo [/B][/QUOTE]

It's hard to cram anything down your throat when you are [I] reading[/I] something. I hope your eyes are ok, after all that cervical trauma. Anyway, it's "their" not "there".

In actual response to your reply, well I say stop whining. No one forced you to read this thread, or respond, so if you can't stay on topic then don't bother posting. We are expressing eachother's opinoins and debating fairly heatedly, as Adahn has mentioned.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!- Truman.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]
Have you ever heard the quote "A butterfly beating its wings in China may cause a hurricane on the other side of the world"?
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's called chaos theory, and it's pretty fascinating. Speaking of which, I find fractals pretty amazing. They're beautiful, incredibly complex images, and yet they're created purely from equations. Even more amazing is that these seemingly abstract patterns occur all over the place in nature. If you've seen a picture of the Mandelbrot or Julia set, you know what I'm talking about. ^_^

There is nothing I, as an sometimes short-sighted fifteen-year-old, appreciate more than being given a little perspective. The sky at night, the wind that heralds a sudden storm, the beauty of falling snow.... it sounds corny, but those things remind me that the best way to live life is to simply let yourself go and enjoy it.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PloKoonDS [/i]
[B]I never went off topic, and I wasn't whineing *sp*. I was simply pointing out what would be amazing to me. And that is what this thread is about, isn't it? o_O

~Plo [/B][/QUOTE]

It's more specifically about the human, and it's amazingness :P. God, it's spelled "whining" just check my last post ! Well anyway, I don't mean to come down so hard on you, but you were being sarcastic, and seemingly demeriting any discussion i have had on this thread.

ifz I wentz to spellz sum tings wung, I well spallz tahm wung!

Yeah, if you can understand that, I applaud you.

Any who, I was being sarcastic, and I could really care less for spelling here because I am tired of being perfect with grammar and the like by the time I get to posting on these boards. I have had enough of the "proper grammar" and everything by this time because writting a book is very strenuous on that aspect. Seeing as if the grammar isn't good in the book, the publisher wont even give it a good once-over.

And no, I wasn't being "demeriting" to you or anyone, simply pointing out what would be amazing to me.

~Plo

[quote][i]Originally posted by KnightOfTheRose[/i]
[B] You have proof of this, I hope?[/b]

[b] I have an answer.
If we are the only beings in this vast universe, wether we arrived through evolution or being placed here by some god, that can comprehend emotion or the such, then it is one hell of a waste of space.

And if so, the god is a moron and evolution is nothing more than randomness.[/b][/quote]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circuit/J [/i]
[B]
[1] Don't take everything so literally. You can naturally suppose that when he says "some god" he is using that to state that he has no belief in a god, and is therefore using the term nonchalantly. The same goes for why he didn't capitalize it.

[2] Calling ANY god a moron is discriminating against all religions that worship a god. For everything else in that quote, see above.[/quote]

Sure, we can ?naturally suppose? your interpretation, but looking at this logically, his choice of phrasing simply avoids putting his foot in his mouth. Would you rather he use ?God?? ?Allah?? ?Yahweh?? (<--- my apologies to any Orthodox Jews reading this for writing the name). Just because he doesn?t use a specific god, doesn?t mean he?s an atheist. I?ve had World Religions professors who were Christian, but made sure to use a blanket title for supreme being, to be certain of not offending anyone. It?s not a matter of what Knight?s religious affiliation is; it?s a matter of making sure to not exclude any possibilities.

Regarding [2],

?Some director really just flushed his career.?

Is that discriminating against all directors? Or all fans of any director? I think not. What would have been offensive, ?Man, James Cameron totally ****ed himself over after making that crap movie Titanic. I swear, he?s such an idiot now.? That leaves a very bad feeling on the reader. That phrase is filled with direct negativity. It isolates, identifies, and names the subject, effectively turning James Cameron into a target.

Here?s another one. ?I really don?t agree with that leader?s policies. They seem really foolish.? Compared to the direct line: ?I cringe whenever I see George W. Bush try to speak. He doesn?t even know what he?s saying. Hell, I bet we could see the hand up his *** controlling him.?

Which is better? The nonspecific line or the direct negativity line? I should hope you say the nonspecific line.

Knight chose his words very carefully, making sure to use a blanket term as not to offend the reader, not because he may be an atheist. Being an atheist has nothing to do with word usage. I?ve seen it both ways. I used to use ?God? when dealing with supreme being, and I?ve used ?god.? It?s political correctness. It?s out of respect for the reader?s intelligence.

[quote][3] So because he didn't use proper grammar and spelling, his post was useless? He still got his point across.[/quote]

Do you read with comprehension? If you really comprehended my post, you would see that I was not concluding Drix?s post to be useless because Drix failed to use proper grammar and spelling. I concluded his post to be useless because the BASE on which his reply was based was inherently faulty. We could call it his thesis or concept. It was built upon a lack of understanding of grammar and syntax of source material. VERY DEADLY in a criticism of any type. Ask your teacher. They?ll tell you. You need a solid base before writing critique of said base. Otherwise, your ideas are flimsy because your source proposal is not adequate.

[4] He's calling any god stupid, which includes his (and my) god.

I suggest you look up ?any.?

[url]http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/any[/url]

And then look up ?some.?

[url]http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/some[/url]

Totally different definitions, thus totally different words, thus NOT interchangeable. And don?t use Microsoft Word, because it isn?t literary in the least. It?s a word processor for those not familiar with computers. I would never start a computer virgin on a Mac or Unix system.

?Any? deals a singular idea, or a specific idea of a group of unknown number. ?Some? is a broader term, dealing with multiples in a group of unknown number. They?re not the same word. Don?t confuse them with each other.

I was correct in my interpretation. You are mistaken. ?Any? and ?some? cannot be switched. The meaning of a sentence drastically changes.

For example,

?I don?t like some people.?

?I don?t like any people.?

They say totally different things. ?Some? = multiples in a larger unknown number. ?Any? = specific of a larger unknown number.

[quote][5] I go with drix on this one. If you haven't even experienced God working in your life, you couldn't [B]possibly[/B] understand the way we think, whereas we've experienced both sides of the table.[/quote]

You know, I have experienced a higher power working in my life before. And you know what else? I didn?t like it. I can?t believe I?m actually quoting The Matrix, but ?I don?t like the idea that I?m not in control of my life.? So, I went atheist. Not only because of the ?control of my life? thing. I was just generally displeased with the whole religion thing. It felt wrong.

Also, you?re using ?you? there. I should hope you know what kind of response feelings ?you? brings about, especially talking about religion. But I?m sure you already knew that. That?s what turns me on about you, your divinely perfect attention to detail, that attention to detail you displayed with the definitions and usage of ?any? and ?some? was simply breathtaking.

[quote] Originally posted by PoisonTongue
[b]Gee, correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't you attempting to display an understanding of God?[/B][/quote]

[quote][6] He's trying to say that nobody has an understanding of God. Is it really that hard to figure out?

[quote] Originally posted by KnightOfTheRose
If we are the only beings in this vast universe, wether we arrived through evolution or being placed here by some god, that can comprehend emotion or the such, then it is one hell of a waste of space.[/quote]

Is it really that hard to imagine that God loves us enough to create an entire universe just to satisfy our natural human curiosity? Anyway, you shouldn't even try to match the thoughts of the guy who brought you into existence. It's just a stupid thing to do.[/quote]

I call attention to your point here. First you say, ?nobody has an understanding of God.? A bit later, ?Is it really that hard to imagine that God loves us enough to create an entire universe just to satisfy our natural human curiosity? Anyway, you shouldn't even try to match the thoughts of the guy who brought you into existence. It's just a stupid thing to do.?

Firstly, you?re really spinning a ?holier than thou? attitude here, and by saying ?Anyway, you shouldn't even try to match the thoughts of the guy who brought you into existence,? you?re very much impressing your religious beliefs on someone who may not care for them and may not believe what you believe. That?s not very noble.

Would you like it if I said, ?Your religion is a dead religion. It?s archaic. It?s ancient. Your god is dead. He will never return. You shouldn?t follow something that will never return. You should start following atheism, because that is the only truth and that is the only way of living.?

Would you like that? No. Was what I said appropriate at all? No. That?s why we don?t say things like that, because we come off sounding ?holier than thou.?

Also, with those two items I quoted, you contradict yourself.

First, you ask, ?Is it really that hard to figure out [that nobody can understand God]??

Then, you ask, ?Is it really that hard to imagine that God loves us enough to create an entire universe just to satisfy our natural human curiosity??

Now, I?m SURE my interpretive skills aren?t as sharp as yours?after all, I?m only in my third year of college, studying English, going for a Teacher Cert, and developing theses that my professors haven?t seen coming from an Undergrad?but I?m pretty damn sure of the contradiction here.

You say nobody can understand God. But then you seem to show understanding God?s ways by asking how can people not see the reasons that God does what He does? Wow, you really said, expressed or implied two totally different things there.

[quote][7] Man, you [i]are[/i] going to be an english teacher, aren't you? I've seen a whole lot of literalists in my life, but you just might top them all.[/quote]

I study literature. It?s what I do. I look at essays and break them down. It?s required for the degree.

[quote][8] One last thing for you, PT: what is it that causes you to be so spiteful towards drix? Maybe you do think he had some things wrong, but any normal person would just state his point and be done. The only reason I can think of is your enormous ego (and don't say it isn't true until you read the entire last half of your post where you are saying nothing but how you will be high and mighty by getting low pay for shoveling facts into the minds of kids who would, for the most part, rather be [i]anywhere[/i] than there). Are you honestly that convinced that you're better than the rest of the planet? Either way, it gives you absolutely no right to be a dick to someone who did nothing to you.[/quote]

Oh, please. Drix and I have a very fun interaction here. We enjoy ripping each other up. It?s fun. It provides entertainment for us. I post, Drix will crit me. Drix posts, I crit him. I have nothing against him, and he has nothing against me. Well, that?s not entirely true. That annoying squeak in his voice sounds like claws on a chalkboard, and he still spells ?sentence? incorrectly. Heh. Apart from that, we have a blast.

Do know what?s going on before you jump on someone.

Ego? What ego? If you read my ?entire last half? of the post with comprehension and while actually paying attention, you?d see that I love the idea of interacting with young minds. NEVER did I give the impression that I?m looking to damage their forming intellects. Even Drix, who you felt the need to defend, even though he can defend himself just fine, realized what a great teacher I would be. I think you need to step back, and realize just how misinformed about literature, writing, and teaching you are. Get to know what an English major and Teaching Cert is all about, and acquire some damn reading skills before you criticize someone who in no way portrays themselves as a sadistic instructor.

I don?t know where you get off on accusing me of being ?convinced that [I?m] better than the rest of the planet.? Because I will never EVER feel that way. I threw out my superiority complex a long, long time ago. It doesn?t suit in the real world. You mistake confidence in one?s abilities for egomania. Again, you?re confusing definitions and not allowing yourself any intelligent interpretation.

Oh, do you think I?m going to act this way in the classroom? Hell no. I?m doing this to show you how totally misinformed and mind-numbingly dumb you are. If I did that in the classroom, I?d be fired. And I don?t want to be fired?hell, I don?t even want to talk like I just did. No student deserves to be addressed like that.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Circuit/J[/i]
[b]And so I shall shut up. [/B][/QUOTE]

Please do! Shut that mouth. It leaks only drivel and fecal material.

Thanks,

PoisonTongue

hey now, when did this thread become about god?

did you know scientists have studied the heart, and they found a healthy heart beat isnt steady? what i mean is the healthy heart doesnt beat regularly....and they found that when they put a heart beat into musical notes, they found it made a song (i thought that was really really cool!!)
and they put an unhealthy heartbeat into musical notes, and it was a monotone song, because the heartbeats were more "regular"...........
amazing, no? ^_^

Poisontongue, you have some of my profoundest respect. And though I commonly disagree with you, so do you Drix-D'Zanth. You make the longest, most argumentative, [i]sensible[/i] posts that I see, and you both seem to know what you are talking about. Impressive. In fact, I am often in awe of your posts. I [i]could[/i] make posts like that, but I lack the motivation, and sometimes knowldege to make such good posts. 'Grats. What you said about the human heart lea was very interesting.

Side Note: Why are you excusing yourself for writing Yahweh down? I am reading Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice, and she has used it quite a few times, in widely published text. Hhhmmm. Anyway, if it gives offence to Jewish people, then please excuse me for writing the name. I am just asking if it was impolite...

All threads end up being about religion because it's very vast, and very important. I don't know if there is any topic that can't be related to religion in some way. As for things that are amazing, I'm amazed people don't share the way they feel when they truly decide on a religion, or even delve into its intricacies. If you haven't considered it yet, then you might want to start soon. My deepest exploration of religion began with the concept of non-existence. If you believe in evolution, or just believe there is no life after death, then you believe that once your body stops functioning, when brain waves cease, your existence is ended. When I first thought about this, one mental vision/feeling popped into my head. I imagined the last moment of my life to be a pinprick of life in the vastness of space, and after that is done, all time instantly passes and all that is left is an empty universe. There will be no peace. To understand, try and imagine yourself giving up all of your memories, knowledges, emotions, loved ones, all gradually. In essence, imagine emptying yourself of everything that designates you as alive, slowly, and you will have the slightest idea of what it would be like to have all of that taken away in the blink of an eye. That scares the hell out of me. I would beg for eternal torture rather than not exist, but I don't have to. I believe that when I die, my soul will live on to enjoy new experiences in eternal paradise. If you think it matters that anyone remembers you, and that you will live on in people's minds, then you have found a religion already. True atheism is embracing the end of all things when one ends. This is what I mean when I say atheists consider themselves the center of the universe, because when they die, to them, everything dies. If any hope of any type of existence after death has a place in your heart, then you still have a religion, even if it's as unknown as death itself.

As for Drix and PoisonTongue, keep it up! I LOVE reading your posts, and I know both of you feel the same way as PoisonTongue described. It's kind of like a pillow-fight. You might get in some good hits, but in the end, nobody gets hurt and everyone feels better.

I think about everything like that all the time. There's too much to go into detail about... But it's similar to saying the same word over and over and over again, suddenly it'll sounds strange, and when you start thinking about it it sounds even stranger... Sometimes I even try to pretend I don't know English and say some words in order to try to hear it from someone else's perspective.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Adahn [/i]
[B]As for Drix and PoisonTongue, keep it up! I LOVE reading your posts, and I know both of you feel the same way as PoisonTongue described. It's kind of like a pillow-fight. You might get in some good hits, but in the end, nobody gets hurt and everyone feels better. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hehe. That pillowfight line has extra significance, as I watched Animal House last night. Never never never leave curtains open in your sorority houses, girls. Someone like John Belushi WILL grab a ladder. Just a word of wisdom. lol.

You know what amazes me?
The fact that this thread is no longer about amazement.

One more thing, I am Athiest, but thankyou all for not just blankly dubbing me so. Most people think that because I'm have rather radical views that I'm either a member of The Curch of Satan (something I truely don't want to get involved with), of just a violent heretic (though being athiest already dubs me as one).

One more thing, I found out today that if you make a complaint, no matter how small, that store will usually send you coupons for free stuff.

One more thing, how about we drop the whole ***** and moan thing and go back to a worthwile discussion, yeah?

One more thing, I find it amazing that people are so quick to get pissed at one another simply because they follow a different religion.

No more things.

[B]Oh, please. Drix and I have a very fun interaction here. We enjoy ripping each other up. It?s fun. It provides entertainment for us. I post, Drix will crit me. Drix posts, I crit him. I have nothing against him, and he has nothing against me. Well, that?s not entirely true. That annoying squeak in his voice sounds like claws on a chalkboard, and he still spells ?sentence? incorrectly. Heh. Apart from that, we have a blast.

Do know what?s going on before you jump on someone.
PoisonTongue [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, for the sole sake of trying to get this post back to the original topic,I shall not delve into the whole argument again. Just to say that I really should've found out what was going on instead of going up in flames like that. Sorry.:( *looks for toes.* I do have the dying urge to go into rebuttals, but, once again, better to stick to the whole amazement thing.

Oh, and I also wanted to say that I'm actually really happy to see that you made such good points. Pretty much all debates/arguments I've gotten into have been with people whose whole argument could be summed up to "umm....because it is!!" It's nice to see someone who had a point and didn't just keep going to try and not look like an idiot because they knew they had been disproved.

[color=#707875]I'll only use my post here to thank PT for his effort. I don't think I'd have had the energy. It's very difficult to continually repeat the same elemental and well-understood facts of science (surrounding evolution). As I've said before, if you study biology, you study evolution. If you want to drill for oil, you need to understand evolution. If you want to be any kind of doctor, you need to recognize and understand evolution. Even the Catholic Church has recognized evolution.

And, living in a country that teaches these well-established sciences in all states and territories...I still find it alien when I see people saying "Oh, do you [i]believe[/i] in evolution?" Sheesh.

Anyway, regarding the point at hand...which is a very general one...

A lot of things amaze me. Yes, the grander scheme of things does amaze me...the whole "size of the Universe" type thing and all that. It's mind-bending stuff.

But on a day-to-day level, I'm amazed by the smaller things. Usually, I'm amazed by the people around me. I'm often amazed and in awe of people's kindness and friendliness. And particularly, I guess that the actions of friends and family continue to amaze me.

Also, even my relationships "online" amaze me. The way that things have developed...and the way things have changed over the years is interesting. I've become distant with some people, but for the most part, I've really become more friendly with a lot more people; even people who I originally disliked. So I think it's amazing how things can change so unexpectedly.

I mean, I might even be moving to another city soon for a new job...and this whole thing only came about within the last couple of days. It just hits you like a speeding car or something...you don't see it coming and suddenly it's totally and utterly life changing. So, that's amazing to me.[/color]

Guest Skyechild91
::acts confused:: hmmm... i never could understand why boys can never seem to understand us girls... but then, if you did, we girls would be in some real danger. i have to admit, we girls are a bit confusing.

Wow. I really was missing alot when Ididn't register a long long time ago. This stuff is deep. I like deep. When I first saw this place, the entry page looked like a game control pad, and there were only about a dozen to 20 threads. How long ago was that? I'm amazed that a site that started from nothing could grow into such a fountain of ideas and thoughts. Just how I think...