OtakuBoards

Band lovers ONLY!

Katana

Hehehe...I got this list off of some AOL guys post...it's really funny, it's called "You know you've been in band too long when..." And it has 214 reasons. That's alot.
Also, the orgianl author threw in some inside jokes and then I putin some comments, so yeah. Here's part 1.

You Know You've Been In band too Long When?

1.) You think going to competitions on Saturday's is more fun than getting presents on Christmas.
2.) You're asked who the people in your family are and you start naming off band people.
3.) *For flutes.* A lyre is a fashion must.
4.) You begin to think those funky hats you wear when you're marching are kind of cool...
5.) And you wished you owned one.
6.) Someone behind you says "band geek" and you turn around.
7.) Being a band geek is a good thing.
8.) You value your instrument(s) more than life itself.
9.) Your fall over (holding your instrument), smacking your head on concrete in the process, and are more worried about your instrument than yourself.
10.) You accidently call your band director "dad."
11.) You wish your band director was your dad
11B.) Your band director responds when you call him "dad."
12.) You have put your friends in two seperate catagories - band friends and non-band friends ...
13.) And the "band friends" category has at least 30 more people in it than the "non-band friends" section does.
14.) Your instrument has a name.
15.) You start calling brunette's blondes (inside joke ... ^_^).
16.) You feel more at home with the band than with your own family.
17.) Going 2+ hours in 90 degree heat without water is easy.
18.) You think your band shirt is "pretty ... "
19.) And you constantly wear it in public.
20.) You have all the band shirts you've ever gotten in the back of your closet ...
21.) And wouldn't give them up for anything.
22.) You still have the music from last year memorized.
23.) All the music you've played since your first year of band in still in your lyre or set up lovingly on a band altar in your room.
24.) You make up sets for your favorite songs.
25.) Everywhere you go reminds you about something that happened in band.
26.) Your favorite memories have something to do with band.
27.) Bus rides are fun.
28.) Changing on those buses with other people becomes natural to you.
29.) *For double-reed instruments* The term "one time at band camp ... " doesn't offend you any more.
30.) It's actually kind of funny when you hear people say that.
31.) Seeing trumpet players (etc.) empty out their spit valves on the floor isn't gross anymore.
32.) You feel more comfortable standing at attention than anything else.
33.) You roll your feet while walking down the hall.
34.) Someone sees you rolling your feet and automatically knows you're in the band.
35.) Your leg muscles are the strongest muscles in your whole body ...
36.) Except for your butt muscles (ya know, backwards marching?drum majors?Monica ?)
37.) You're sitting in class and begin practicing your fingerings on your pencil.
38.) That last sentence didn't sound "dirty" to you.
39.) Hearing certain drummers (*cough6thgraderscough*) randomly bang on their drum (very loudly) doesn't scare you anymore.
40.) A metronome doesn't hurt your ears anymore.
41.) You think of what life without band would be and begin to cry.
42.) You're standing at attention and your drum major/director could pretty much start scratching his/her butt without you reacting.
43.) Left over hotdogs and hamburgers (from the football game the night before) on competition mornings is the breakfast of champions.
44.) You like leftover hotdogs and hamburgers for breakfast (hey, it is the breakfast of champions).
45.) Uniforms are sexy.
46.) You dress to the lunch line...
47.) And encourage everyone else to do the same.
48.) You've considered writing a book about your experiences in band.
49.) You are always in step with the person in front of you - even if you're just in line for the bathroom.
50.) You wish marching season lasted all year.
51.) You can actually sight read.
52.) Your crush is always someone in band.
53.) Having a crush on someone outside of band is just plain weird.
54.) Your band could kick the football team's butt ...
55.) And that's a well-known fact.
56.) You've had multiple dreams about band.
57.) You can almost twist your upper body all the way around.
58.) Numbers above 8 aren't important.
59.) Letters beyond G aren't important.
60.) You've forgotten what the numbers past 8 and the letters past G are.
61.) You hear a song on the radio and it only takes you a minute to figure out how to play it on your instrument.
62.) You're so inspired by this list that after you finish reading it, you'll go make your own.
63.) Music with words begins to sound kind of strange to you.
64.) "Oboe" is one of your favorite words, 'cause it sounds so fun. I mean, think about it - oboe. Oh-bow. It's fun.
65.) You know that your instrument is the best...
66.) And when someone who plays another instrument tries to say otherwise, you slap them.
67.) You can't be in a family snapshot without at least three other band members and you holding your beautiful instrument in it.
68.) You see your band more than your family...
69.) And your mom doesn't recognize you one day because of it.
70.) You wish you could sleep in your band room.
71.) You start wearing your black shoes to school, the mall, etc.
72.) Marching over someone who is unconsious from being smacked by a flag is a usual thing. (Just kidding, color guard!)
73.) Your band director is your hero...
74.) Even if he/she did call you out for talking when you weren't (so true).
75.) People worry when they don't see you polishing/holding/playing/talking to/kissing/hugging/admiring/etc. your instrument.
76.) You've never been seen not polishing/holding/playing/talking to/kissing/hugging/admiring/etc. your instrument.
77.) People who aren't in band stare at you funny when you say you've been studying your fingering chart.
78.) You read that last sentence and it took you a few minutes to understand it.
79.) Non-band people think "oh, great ... " whenever you walk up because they know they are going to bombard them with words like flank, attention, four count turn, parade rest, tune, mark time, slide, eight by eight, to the rear, and so on.
80.) Some non-band people actually understand you when you start talking to them like that ('cause you do it so freaking much).
81.) You scream and have to find a seat whenever UNA marches onto a field.
82.) You see bands like UNA perform and cry because it was so inspiring.
83.) You can't empty your pockets without finding screw drivers, valve oil, cork grease, etc. ... even if you never use any of that stuff.
83.) Band isn't just an extracurricular activity, it's a way of life.
84.) You relate to this stuff.
85.) Standing is more natural than sitting.
86.) Your drum major refers to you as "that funny flute girl."
87.) Your drum major has said that she wishes she played flute so she could be a "funny flute girl." (yet another inside joke from the author?^_^)
88.) You know someone's personality by what instrument they play.
89.) You can't walk into a music store without sighing happily because its like you just walked into heaven.
90.) You consider owning a music store someday and calling it "Heaven."
91.) You get angry at the cheerleaders when they take the band's pretty sign down from the fence in front of the bleachers (darn cheerleaders ... grr).
92.) You goal is to someday be able to play every instrument known to man and then make some new ones so you can play those, too.
93.) *For flutes.* You've wanted to meet that guy named Artley/Armstrong/Jupiter so you can thank them for making flutes.
94.) *For everyone else.* You've wanted to meet the guy who's name is on your instrument case so you can thank them for making your instrument.
95.) There's nothing like the smell of that grass that smells like onions and dirt in the morning ... or afternoon ... or night.
96.) Marching in the rain is the funnest thing in the world - even if you have to jerk your shoe out of two inches of mud and nearly fall on your butt a few times.
97.) You can't pass a football field without smiling because it's makes you think of band...
98.) And band is the best thing in the whole world.
99.) You wish daylight savings would occur at 2:00 p.m. instead of 2:00 a.m. - that way you'd get an extra hour of band practice!
100.) You've actually come up with 100 things to put on a "You Know You've Been In Band Too Long When" list!!
101.) You count down the days to band camp ...
102.) And cheer when it finally comes.
103.) You get seriously insulted whenever someone says about how all the band does is "walk around ... "
104.) And spend at least an hour telling (actually yelling) them otherwise ...
105.) Until they start to cry and say "Ok, ok! Just, please, let me go home!"
106.) A day just isn't complete without holding your instrument ...
107.) And when it has to be repaired, and you can't hold it, you go into serious withdraw.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG! That's so funnie! To tell you to the truth, I do practice my fingerings on a pencil. And my friend Anna who sits next to me in Contemperary Living plays drum. So I hum it and do the fingerings and she'll play with her drumsticks on the chair. (Whoa, that sounded screwed up.) But when I read this, I got yet another fruit drink all over the screen from laughing so hard.

That is scary. So many of those things are true for me (with exception to the flute ones). I NEED the link to that, so I can get it and print it out at school. This is not a want, this is an absolute necessity. I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't share this with my band. I play the trombone, and I'm awesome :) (first chair)

[color=hotpink][size=1]Okay, well I've decided to show how I relate to a few of these and why I thought there were funny. I wasn't an instrument player, I was on the Dance Line, but we were just as much a part of the Marching Band as everyone else. ^_^

[B]You Know You've Been In band too Long When?[/b]

[b]1.) You think going to competitions on Saturday's is more fun than getting presents on Christmas.[/b]
I always looked forward to Saturdays in October. That meant full days of spending time with all my band friends and the nights of watching the amazing AAAA and Open Class bands. *Sighs*

[b]2.) You're asked who the people in your family are and you start naming off band people.[/b]
Okay, because the Dance line WAS family.

[b]4.) You begin to think those funky hats you wear when you're marching are kind of cool...[/b]
I always liked them. But maybe that's because I didn't have to wear one? I always liked to play with the "chickens" and I would always get people to let me wear their hat, especially for the funny shots after you perform at competition.

[b]6.) Someone behind you says "band geek" and you turn around.
7.) Being a band geek is a good thing.[/b]
Of course it is. We actually prefered to be called "Band Twinkies," but us JC girls made that up ourselves. ^_^

[b]12.) You have put your friends in two seperate catagories - band friends and non-band friends ...
13.) And the "band friends" category has at least 30 more people in it than the "non-band friends" section does.[/b]
That is SO true. And all of my band friends that haven't graduated, I'm going to visit them Friday! ^_^

[b]14.) Your instrument has a name.[/b]
Well, since I didn't have an instrument, I named everyone else's. Mary-Anderson's trumpet, Twinklebell, is actually my Goddaughter and we christened her at practice one day.

[b]16.) You feel more at home with the band than with your own family.[/b]
That's because they are around me WAY more than my family, lol.

[b]17.) Going 2+ hours in 90 degree heat without water is easy.[/b]
Yes, and I could KILL Mr. Lundin for that. And I could kill the idiots who "feel faint" even more. Oh yeah, and here it was usually 100+ outside.

[b]18.) You think your band shirt is "pretty ... "
19.) And you constantly wear it in public.
20.) You have all the band shirts you've ever gotten [strike]in the back of your closet [/strike]right there in my drawer so I can wear them...
21.) And wouldn't give them up for anything.[/b]
This past year, I designed our band shirt. So it, of course, is my favorite. I won a prize! And I love wearing all of my band shirts. ^_^ And they ARE pretty! Even the Greyhoundasaurus from my Sophomore year!

[b]25.) Everywhere you go reminds you about something that happened in band.[/b]
Isn't that a shame?

[b]26.) Your favorite memories have something to do with band.[/b]
Because all of my BEST friends were in band. I can't help but think about how much I miss it....*sighs deeply*

[b]27.) Bus rides are fun.[/b]
BUS 3 IS THE COOLEST BUS EVER!

[b]28.) Changing on those buses with other people becomes natural to you.[/b]
And it was oh so fun. Except when little perverts at the front of the bus are watching you change bras. *Shudders*

[b]31.) Seeing trumpet players (etc.) empty out their spit valves on the floor isn't gross anymore.[/b]
It is to me....I have a phobia of spit...

[b]35.) Your leg muscles are the strongest muscles in your whole body ...[/b]
Because we kick so dang high! Our dance team THRIVES on high perfect kicks.

[b]41.) You think of what life without band would be and begin to cry.[/b]
No, I see what life is without band, and I get upset. And I vow to try out for the Georgettes next year so I can be in the UGA RedCoat band!

[b]45.) Uniforms are sexy.[/b]
Especially the Dance teams. ^_~

[b]50.) You wish marching season lasted all year.[/b]
Of course I do. At least we had competition dance in the spring. ^_^

[b]52.) Your crush is always someone in band.
53.) Having a crush on someone outside of band is just plain weird.[/b]
Every year except my Senior year, I liked someone who was in band and dated them. Of course, Ryan was in his band when he was in high school...something about those band guys.

[b]56.) You've had multiple dreams about band.[/b]
Who hasn't?

[b]57.) You can almost twist your upper body all the way around.[/b]
No, I can. That's what flexibility and dancing will do for you.

[b]58.) Numbers above 8 aren't important.[/b]
Not really, no.

[b]68.) You see your band more than your family...[/b]
This is the most true statement of them all. And I really can't say I minded.

[b]72.) Marching over someone who is unconsious from being smacked by a flag is a usual thing. (Just kidding, color guard!)[/b]
Ha, well, we never had anyone knocked out, but we had a few whacks here and there. Even I was scared to get near them...

[b]83.) Band isn't just an extracurricular activity, it's a way of life.
84.) You relate to this stuff.[/b]
And it CONSUMES your life, too!

[b]88.) You know someone's personality by what instrument they play.[/b]
Yeah, trumpet players are arrogant, low brass is hilarious jokesters, Drum line is MOSTLY a bunch of slacker idiots, color guard is nothing but b*tches, and [strike]dancers are sluts.[/strike]

Oh wait...those are just the stupid rumors, don't mind me. WELL, some of it is true. ^_~

[b]96.) Marching in the rain is the funnest thing in the world - even if you have to jerk your shoe out of two inches of mud and nearly fall on your butt a few times.[/b]
Best half-time show of my life. There's nothing like Dancing in the Rain. I bet you anything it was our best performance. ^_^ I wish we had it on video.

[b]97.) You can't pass a football field without smiling because it's makes you think of band...
98.) And band is the best thing in the whole world.[/b]
It sure is. I miss it terribly.

[b]101.) You count down the days to band camp ...
102.) And cheer when it finally comes.[/b]
Only because I miss all of my friends and I hate having that stupid three month break. But of course, once it starts, I usually can't wait for it to be over. *laughs* [/color][/size]

Bwahahahahaha........(wipes tears from her eyes) Oh man I actually do some of that stuff. Like number 22, I don't remember all of the music I played last year, but I do remember three songs.

Oh and I remember one of the stand songs from 2 years ago. It was called "Smooth" and I only remember it because it was one of my favorite songs even before I play it.

Their is only one thing that is freaky about this list and that is the fact that I actually know someone (a girl named Tony) who does every single thing on this list.

I mean band really is her life and that is why I find this list creepy, (laughs) but yet very funny. Nice one Katana.

And one time, at band camp...

I never went. I was and will forever be a choir boy. A bitt OT, eh... I guess I can relate , alot of people I know are band groupies. It's possible to be a groupie to your own hobbies.. to some extent. These people were the epitamy of obsessed, so I'll leave it at that...

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I played in orchestras, bands, marches, competitions and whatever else for nearly 12 years and, personally, I don't really mesh with most of this lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

It depends on how dedicated you are to playing music. *shrugs*[/size]

[size=1]
[b] You have put your friends in two seperate catagories - band friends and non-band friends ...[/b]
--*shrugs* Whenever I talk about one of my friends, I tell people whether they're in orchestra or not.

[b]Your instrument has a name.[/b]
--Hey man....my cello has a name.

[b]Bus rides are fun.[/b]
--They ARE! *looks around happily*

[b]You're sitting in class and begin practicing your fingerings on your pencil.[/b]
--*looks up from pencil* What?

[b] A metronome doesn't hurt your ears anymore.[/b]
--It never hurt my ears in the first place. I [i]must[/i] be a music genious!

[b] You think of what life without band [spoiler]ORCHESTRA[/spoiler] would be and begin to cry.[/b]
--Music is up there among the more important things in life.

[b] Uniforms are sexy.[/b]
--Good violinists in uniform are sexy.

[b]You can actually sight read.[/b]
--If you want to be good, you better get off your butt and learn.

[b]You know that your instrument is the best...[/b]
--Flutes are [i]so[/i] gay. *walks away with cello*

:P Yes, I know I changed them around to fit for orchestra. [/size]

Guest Alec Ikiiki
Oh my goodness. Practically all of those statements are true. I've been in band for 7 years and it is now my senior year.

The one about walking in step with the person in front of you and rolling from heal to toe, those have been true to me for over 5 years. Come on, when I wear flip flops they don't last long because the heal ALWAYS wears out.

I spend more time with the band than I do my own family. Band members have actually become part of my family (adopted sister flute and adopted sister french horn, their families have adopted me as well).

Standing at attention is the easiest thing in the world. Although I do like to sit.

My calfs are the strongest muscles I have. After so long (5 years) they would of course become that way.

Tell peoples personalities by the instrument they play? Well, the band this year could suprise you. Trumpets arrogant? Not this year. The trombones, baritones, Alto saxophones and horns... YES. Clarinet? The instrument I play. There's so many this year with different personalities I don't know what to think.

Overall though, I have been in band too long. I still have my music from beginner band in 6th grade. :: sighs ::

One more thing, as for the band hats, although a lot of people hate them, there are people willing to pay a few bucks to wear them on hat day.

~Alec~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alec Ikiiki [/i]
[B]Come on, when I wear flip flops they don't last long because the heal ALWAYS wears out. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Our band wasn't allowed to wear flip-flops at practice, I don't think. At least I know our dance line wasn't. They come off easily and cause lots of unnecessary problems.[/color][/size]

[FONT=arial]heh, so true. these fit me.

[b]
4.) You begin to think those funky hats you wear when you're marching are kind of cool...
5.) And you wished you owned one.
6.) Someone behind you says "band geek" and you turn around.
9.) Your fall over (holding your instrument), smacking your head on concrete in the process, and are more worried about your instrument than yourself.
10.) You accidently call your band director "dad." [/b](yes, it's happened before..... >.>' Mr. Geiger got a kick out of it though, lol)[b]
17.) Going 2+ hours in 90 degree heat without water is easy.
22.) You still have the music from last year memorized.
26.) Your favorite memories have something to do with band.
27.) Bus rides are fun.
28.) Changing on those buses with other people becomes natural to you.
40.) A metronome doesn't hurt your ears anymore.
42.) You're standing at attention and your drum major/director could pretty much start scratching his/her butt without you reacting.
45.) Uniforms are sexy. [/b] what can I say, they've grown on me. :smooch:[b]
51.) You can actually sight read.
52.) Your crush is always someone in band. [/b]somehow, someway......[b]
54.) Your band could kick the football team's butt ...
55.) And that's a well-known fact. [/b]our football team sucks; anybody could, lol[b]
56.) You've had multiple dreams about band.
58.) Numbers above 8 aren't important.
65.) You know that your instrument is the best... [/b]because it is :p[b]
66.) And when someone who plays another instrument tries to say otherwise, you slap them.
68.) You see your band more than your family... [/b]that tends to happen when you get home at 7:30pm daily.[b]
70.) You wish you could sleep in your band room.[/b] do I ever.....[b]
80.) Some non-band people actually understand you when you start talking to them like that ('cause you do it so freaking much).
81.) You scream and have to find a seat whenever UNA marches onto a field.
84.) You relate to this stuff.
85.) Standing is more natural than sitting.
88.) You know someone's personality by what instrument they play.
89.) You can't walk into a music store without sighing happily because its like you just walked into heaven.
94.) *For everyone else.* You've wanted to meet the guy who's name is on your instrument case so you can thank them for making your instrument. [/b] Hey, you're that Pearl guy![b]
95.) There's nothing like the smell of that grass that smells like onions and dirt in the morning ... or afternoon ... or night.
96.) Marching in the rain is the funnest thing in the world - even if you have to jerk your shoe out of two inches of mud and nearly fall on your butt a few times.
101.) You count down the days to band camp ...
102.) And cheer when it finally comes.
103.) You get ... insulted whenever someone says about how all the band does is "walk around ... " [/b] really. I'd like to see them 'walk around' carrying a snare/quint set for half an hour at a time (parades are horrible)[b]
106.) A day just isn't complete without holding your instrument ...
107.) And when it has to be repaired, and you can't hold it, you go into serious withdraw. [/B]

very sad. but yeah, anywho. good times ^_^.[/FONT]

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! *crys* im *sniffle* a *sniffle* band *sniffle* nerd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is horrible. . . i so go with all of those except callin my band director dad. . . i dont like him . . . no one does. but i call my section leader daddy! lol. ben takes care of all us saxophones! yay! he is the BEST SECTION LEADER EVER!!!!!!!!! (if you are "non-band" that means he is pretty much in charge of us all) our drum major is quite sexy!! i love gwen!!!!! lol. i actually walk around all day with my reed-guard in my pocket and come the period right before band i pull out and start "wetting it" right before the bell rings and walk to band with it in my mouth. . . speaking of reeds. . . i need some. but they are like $35 so i have to save up. lol. such a nerd. . .*walks away shaking head*