OtakuBoards

Soul Calibur II

Sephiroth

I just got this last night, after waiting god knows how long for its release, lol

First of all, yes I have the Japanese copy of the game, so certain things are in Japanese

Now the new characters, Heihachi from the Tekken series, and Necrid from Todd McFarlene (the Spawn guy), Heihachi is very similar to Tekken Tag, he retains all of his old moves and has some new one's to boot, he fares pretty well against most of the characters but because of his small reach, has certain problems against the big characters like Astaroth.

Necrid just pretty much have borrowed moves from other characters, he is pretty cheap, but I've only been playing for a day so I doubt he is top tier level.

Some characters make a return who didn't make it to the arcade version, like Sophitia and Seung Mine for example, Namco probably included them from the amount of complaints they received from SC player's demanding them back for the console release, also Lizardman makes a surprise return, he is one of the final secret characters to unlock.

Other secret characters are Yoshimitsu (also from the Tekken series) and Cervantes, I havn't had a chance to use Yoshi but Cervantes has certainly been toned down since SC1.

Gameplay is as sweet as it gets, the fighting system is pretty in depth and can compare to others such as Tekken, picking the game up is easy enough, getting good though will take a while, especially with certain characters like Ivy and Maxi.

Wall's have been included to the game, pretty much the same style as Tekken 4, opening up new strategies for when you have an opponent close to the wall, but alas, no wallpush has been included as it had been with Tekken 4.

I can't say much about the storymode as I don't understand it, lol. There is a conquest mode and a edge master mode for getting new weapons and unlocking certain stuff.

Overall a very nice addition to the fighting game genre, I will probably start playing the game seriously though as I did with Tekken 4 O_O

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seph is just a fightin' fool.

Frankly, the last time I played SC was back on a demo for Dreamcast, so I'll most definatly think about getting this one. After, of course, MGS2 Substance, Def Jam Vendetta, Tenchu WOH, and Auto Modellista.

Anyway, I look forward to playing as Yoshi for once. While I hated his moves in the Tekken games, I can only pray that they did something to make his attacks smoother and easier than a twenty-button pres combo for a three-hit move. And just from the sound of Necrid's ability to assume other fighters' styles and gears sounds cheap right off the bat.

Ah, oh well. I can still oogle Ivy. :smooch:

Guest Watinabe
I liked soulcalibur I really want to play two, I really like Sigfreid in one I stabbed and stabbed *O-o* there they go over the edge;)

Ok I've had some more time playing SC2

There is no conquest mode as there was in the arcade unfortunately, but there is edge master mode which is similar, you gain experience and gold as you progress through it, characters and other secrets are unlocked this way

At the moment I've practically got everything, Nightmare is currently a lvl 74 gold edge master :)

Thankfully Sophitia and Seung Mina are good, though I think Sophitia may be a little too good, lol

Lizardman and Rock aren't selectable :(

You fight Lizardman many times in edge master mode but thats about it, you fight a Rock type character called berserker who you also fight many times

The art gallery is pretty rubbish compared to SC, too bad, that was one of my favourite features on SC

Necrid is way overpowered, I can see him getting banned in tournaments, he's getting banned in my future tournament anyway, lol, noone else has a problem with that fortunately

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I'm glad to hear that Sophitia is back, because when I played SC2 at the arcade, I was pretty pissed when I couldn't play as her. And it's also nice to hear that she's a good fighter. There's just something so appealing to me about those blonde fighter chics...*laughs*[/color][/size]

Guest Imsirion
I love Soul Calibur for DC. I still play it but I don't have a favorite because I get a new fave about every other week. Im getting SCII for Game Cube, which is going to be fun, playing as Link.

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to play the first Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, which is why I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the second one this August. It's very intreguing to have a fighting game that aparently concentrates more on weopons than regular fighting games. And then you bring in these secret characters depending on which system you buy the game for, and it makes it that much more interesting.

I'll hopefully be buying this game for my GameCube, since it will be so fun to play as Link, whereas the guy from Tekken on the PS2 version isn't anything to get excited about in my opinion, but that's just me. From your view point, it sounds like an awsome game. :)

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imsirion [/i]
[B]I love Soul Calibur for DC. I still play it but I don't have a favorite because I get a new fave about every other week. Im getting SCII for Game Cube, which is going to be fun, playing as Link. [/B][/QUOTE]

Im just glad they aren't using cel shaded link. I hate cel shaded link. it isn't fair only xbox get spawn.
No fair the x is evil.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Medra [/i]
[B]
Ah, oh well. I can still oogle Ivy. :smooch: [/B][/QUOTE]

you aren't the only one........but she doesn't hold a candle to Taki

• 4 weeks later...
::sigh:: I'm just ticked that there's no more Hwang (although rumor has it that he's coming back for the US release! Woo-hoo!). Yeah, yeah, Yunsung is just a palette-swap of Hwang. Bull... YunSUCK doesn't hold a candle to Hwang. I always pick my characters for balanced fighting games with what I call the "coolness factor," which is based on story, character (as in a person's character), morality, and just plain coolness. Anyway, I hear that Hwang is kind of already in the game as that Assassin fellow (i.e., Hwang will have all of Assassin's moves).

oh well, until the US release (or never, if the rumor's false), I'll just have to find a new favorite. There's really no one who matches my kind of character, so it really bites. It looks like I'll have to just either use Siegfried or Raphael. Problem with Siegfried is that he's just too darn easy to use: you don't need to think with him at all. As for Raphael, he's a twisted dude (story-wise). Not only that, but I'm finding that he's too linear of a fighter, so side-stepping really hurts.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
[B]::sigh:: I'm just ticked that there's no more Hwang (although rumor has it that he's coming back for the US release! Woo-hoo!). Yeah, yeah, Yunsung is just a palette-swap of Hwang. Bull... YunSUCK doesn't hold a candle to Hwang. I always pick my characters for balanced fighting games with what I call the "coolness factor," which is based on story, character (as in a person's character), morality, and just plain coolness. Anyway, I hear that Hwang is kind of already in the game as that Assassin fellow (i.e., Hwang will have all of Assassin's moves).

oh well, until the US release (or never, if the rumor's false), I'll just have to find a new favorite. There's really no one who matches my kind of character, so it really bites. It looks like I'll have to just either use Siegfried or Raphael. Problem with Siegfried is that he's just too darn easy to use: you don't need to think with him at all. As for Raphael, he's a twisted dude (story-wise). Not only that, but I'm finding that he's too linear of a fighter, so side-stepping really hurts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nah, Hwang is out of the game now, supposedly there is a way to get Assassin but the method of doing so I personally find it hard to believe

Nightmare is crazy good in SC2! He is top tier and rightfully should be, he has savage mix ups, damage, and range

Soul Calibur 1 is one of my favorite game, because I can be the game in two days. But most of my friends say I cheap at that game. Using same move until they get to the edge and knock them out.Or how easy i can beat the computer. But the AI does need in provement which i hope they have done. I found a way to beat the AI system on most games.

[quote]Nightmare is crazy good in SC2! He is top tier and rightfully should be, he has savage mix ups, damage, and range[/quote] That's so true. Nightmare is a step above all of the characters in Soul Caliber. He's got range, power, [I]and[/I] speed. Siegfried has to be one of, if not the, toughest character to play against. I personally prefer Hwang because of his style and character, but even ignoring that, there's something about Siegfried that I just dislike. Maybe he's too perfect?

haha, I wish I was as good as I am now when that tournament was here. Seriously, who's going to master a game in three days after its release (yes, the tournament took place three days after DC and SC's release)?! Sorry if it sounds like I'm bragging, but competing is something I love to do. For example, I played Dead or Alive 2 extensively, even though I despised its excessive lack of ethics (Hayabusa is friggin' awesome!). Man, DOA is so slow compared to SC, and yet it was haled so highly...

• 3 weeks later...
I just saw Soul Calibur 2 in motion for the first time on X-Play last night (yes, I am very behind in video game news) and it looks fantastic! The graphics are every bit as amazing as they were when Soul Calibur came out and the motion of the characters is very fluid.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Razzamataz [/i]
[B]hey mirai...you think YOU'RE behind the times?...I've never played the original Soul Calibur, nor did I hear about Soul Calibur 2 until recently, however from what I've seen and heard it appears to be a promising game. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've only played the arcade version of Soul Calibur and I've only seen videos of Soul Calibur 2 (I still haven't been able to pick up the GameCube demo disc with SC2 on it). But I'm glad to hear that I've got people who heard the news even later than I did lol.

Just so some of you guys, who might not know, know... There is another game that came to the u.s. and it may be the same thing as sc for the dreamcast, but I really dont know.

It was for the playstation and it was called "soul blade."

It was a great game actually and I am sure it is related to the soul caliber series.

Infact, it has all the charactors.

So Im sure of it, but I dont know exactly how close the two games are. (sc and sb)

Anyway, let me know if you've played soul blade.

[quote]Just so some of you guys, who might not know, know... There is another game that came to the u.s. and it may be the same thing as sc for the dreamcast, but I really dont know.

It was for the playstation and it was called "soul blade."

It was a great game actually and I am sure it is related to the soul caliber series.

Infact, it has all the charactors.

So Im sure of it, but I dont know exactly how close the two games are. (sc and sb)

Anyway, let me know if you've played soul blade.[/quote] Haha, that's the first part of the series. Originally, it was called Soul Edge, but when it was brought to the States, they changed it, although I'm not sure why... :confused: I loved the game, and I unlocked everything.

It was a fairly balanced game, until you got all the weapons. It was still a little too stiff, which is why the Tekken series eclipsed it (but I [I]HATE[/I] Tekken: so slow). Anyway, I preferred the edge master mode in that game, and I don't know why they didn't keep it the same in the future games. You got to know the stories and some extra tidbits while playing! Now, you get a generic story for everyone... Oh well.

Yeah, I remember how it was called souledge but I just neglected to mention that...

However, I would totally have to agree with you.

The edge master mode where you went around doing challenges and getting weapons was awesome.

Im not sure, but I think my "game informer" magazine mentioned that part of the game will be in sc2. Thing is, I really dont know... I'd have to go look it up.

But yeah, the edge master mode was awesome.

I also spent endless hours playing that game and unlocking everything from all the charactors (including the rediculus sophitia bathing suit charactor to the evil sigfreid. *he rocked*)

Basically, Im looking forward to sc2 so I can get a new fighter into my line up.

I wasn't very impressed with tekken 4. (just not enough of a difference from tekken tag/ tekken 3)

I heard that the next doa game is coming out... doa 3, and from what I hear, its gonna be pretty damn good.

Still no word on what systems that will go to, but I know its gonna be on the xbox.

Actually, I have Soulblade sitting in front of me right now. I enjoyed it a little, but I thought it got too repetitive after a while. I never really liked the PlayStation as a fighting game system. Come to think of it, I never liked any of the fighting games on PlayStation very much (especially the ones that had better versions for other systems).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GoKents [/i]
[B]I heard that the next doa game is coming out... doa 3, and from what I hear, its gonna be pretty damn good.. [/B][/QUOTE]

DOA3 has been out since the launch of the Xbox. Team Ninja is making DOA Online though (which has DOA Saturn Version and DOA2 in it, both enhanced slightly) and DOA Chronus. No one knows what Chronus is yet... might even be Cronus, I forget heh. I've never liked DOA as it is, to be honest.

Oddly I came back to this to correct what I said.

As I mentioned, I went back and read the magazine and noticed it was doa online and not doa 3.

Good call, you beat me to it.

Plus, I've never played any doa game, so I might like it, might hate it.

• 3 weeks later...
I played SC2 on the GameCube demo disc and I really enjoyed it.

I came in not knowing what to expect, since I only played Soul Calibur about a couple of times. I was very impressed with the fighting and the way that the 3-D plane was used (sidestepping, dodging, etc.). The fighting was very solid and you couldn't get away with simple button mashing like in other fighters (*cough*Tekken*cough). Personally, it just made me look forward to Soul Calibur 2 even more than I already was.

Actually SC2 is even more masher friendly than Tekken.

Having said that both games are incredibly deep and require a little more than just "mashing buttons" as some people think.

Just go on TZ and download a tournament or friendly match-up with me playing to see what I mean.

Safer

I haven't really noticed the button mashing.

To be honest, I never really liked Tekken, but I've loved Soul Calibur 2. Don't know why, it's probably just some subliminal preference.

And I'd take you up on that match-up, but you sound like a serious Tekken player. I'm no slouch at fighters, but I'd probably get messed up like nobodies business.