OtakuBoards

Lessons as a Cashier

Guest Magdalena

Guest Magdalena
Disclaimer: I copied this from another forum I post at( I did write the post), thus the swearing is still there, but mostly censored. Please take it with a grain of salt if it vulgar language offends you.

As you all know, I'm a cashier at a grocery store. I come across many aggravations daily, as I slave away scanning cans and typing in codes for brocolli and such. Many people, and I'm not saying you, say how cashiers and baggers are horrible and how they need to improve, but never realize it's a two way street. Think about these common aggravations, and see if you do them, and try to avoid them.

[u]Cellphones[/u] - Never ever use them while I am scanning or bagging your order. I find that rude that you would rather be jabbering about who you partied with on the weekend instead of paying attention to your groceries. Your lack of care means fun times for me. You may find many of your items mangled, broken, or slightly damaged. Learn some manners, stupid *****. Don't use your goddamn cellphone.

[u]Dividers[/u] - Okay people, they are there for a reason. You know, so I don't scan in another customer's order in addition to yours? And what gets really mad is you blame it on me. Excuse me, I'll bring my psychic powers next time so I know when your goddamn order ends.

[u]Hurry The **** Up[/u] - Why must some people take so ****ing long unloading their groceries? Perfectly capable people take out an item at a time, slowly, and wasting my time. Yea, you complain when you don't get fast service, but your fat *** if taking too ****ing long to unload!

[u]Bring Up The Damn Carriage[/u] - Being a bagger as well, I know what it's like to have a conveyor belt full of bags, and you're still using the carriage as a lean post. If you do this, and the bagging sucks, blame it on yourself.

[u]Don't Ignore Me[/u] - I hate people. With a passion. So when I'm making an effort to be polite and charming, don't ignore me. That pisses me off, at least acknowledge me. I'm pretty important, considering I have a small bit of control over your finances( i.g. scanning things multiple times on "accident")

[u]I'm Not Your *****[/u] - I'm not going to bend over backwards for you. I can't magically make your credit card work, I'm not going to do something that you can do yourself, i.g. get your own ice. You can get that as you leave, thank you.

[u]Don't Bring Attention To Me[/u] - Thank you, I know I'm a fast bagger/cashier, and I'm pretty damn friendly, but don't make it so the whole store knows. I'm hated enough as it is, don't pile it on. Plus I blush easily, so I don't need that either.

[u]Don't Be A Hypocrite[/u] - People always complain that conversations between the cashiers/baggers make them feel left out and uncomfortable. How the hell do you think we feel when you're totally excluding us out of the conversation, as well. Learn some goddamn manners.

[u]Don't Try To Scam Us[/u] - We're not total idiots. We know how to count.

[u]Don't You Ever Doubt My Bagging[/u] - Just because I'm fast, doesn't mean I suck. So **** you, and check the bags and see if there are any problems. If I sucked at bagging, I would've been fired a while ago.

[u]WIC: Don't Use On Express[/u] - Whatever you call it where you are, don't use it on express. It takes up too much time and defeats the purpose.

[u]Don't Stalk Us[/u] - I'm underage. I don't need 70 year olds hitting on me, coming in to see me 5x a day. Thanks.

[u]Don't Use My Name On My Nametag[/u] - It freaks us all out to hear "Have a good day, Jennifer[or whatever other name]" because that shows familiarity. I'm your goddamn cashier for 10 minutes, I don't know you.

[u]Don't Rush Us[/u] - We don't operate on your time, so if you're in a rush, you should have came earlier. Not my problem.

I'll add more as I think of them, but please try to avoid these. They get me aggravated to no end, everyday.

Do you do these? Have any of you worked at a grocery store, and know what I'm talking about?

Uuh. Yeah. But I am still going to stalk you. And I would come in 5 times a day, but then I wouldn't be on OB so much.

I hate slow checkiers. Even if your not in a hurry, they stand there, scan the same thing 500 times, because they havn't got it facing the right way, and take 10 minutes to pack 3 bags.

Don't mistake me, there are good cashiers.

Just not enough.

Cheers for Magdalena. Whoever you are.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Magdalena [/i]
[B]
[u]Cellphones[/u] - Never ever use them while I am scanning or bagging your order. I find that rude that you would rather be jabbering about who you partied with on the weekend instead of paying attention to your groceries. Your lack of care means fun times for me. You may find many of your items mangled, broken, or slightly damaged. Learn some manners, stupid *****. Don't use your goddamn cellphone.[/B][/QUOTE]

[spoiler][size=1][color=4057b7][b]Doesn't sound like you have manners, either. Breaking something just because someone in their life is more important than you? My advice is get your head out of your arse and deal with it. Not everyone should have to watch their groceries because of people like [i]you[/i].[/b][/color][/size][/spoiler]

Guest Magdalena
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Leh [/i]
[B][spoiler][size=1][color=4057b7][b]Doesn't sound like you have manners, either. Breaking something just because someone in their life is more important than you? My advice is get your head out of your arse and deal with it. Not everyone should have to watch their groceries because of people like [i]you[/i].[/b][/color][/size][/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh but totally ignoring the cashier is ok? I don't always do it, in fact I rarely do it. It's an aggravation. And believe it or not, I'm the nicest cashier as well. Ever think I keep it all inside, and I decided to make a list of aggravations which many people do.

Vash's girl, but what about common courtesy to the workers? Yea, I do my job right, I do it more than right. Yes, I hate my job, but you can't just quit, especially in this economy.

Yes, I know I'm complaining, but it's either I find a way to maybe educate people a bit more on supermarket etiquette, or I freak out. I know it could have been written better, without all the swears, would you rather have me do that?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vash's girl [/i]
[B]thats ridiculous! if they're not happy with their work then quit! They pay you not us to do it right. Gollee...some people in this world..... I hate people who complain [/B][/QUOTE]

Hypocrite...

On a brighter note, that was so true. I never worked at a supermarket, but virtually everything there can be applied to my job.

And to answer a prior question, she probably makes good money. That's why she keeps the job. I really don't like my job, but during the winter I'm pulling in $250 to $350 a week. I'll put up with not liking for that kind of money.

Yeah, I work at a clothing store. I primarily work on the shop floor but now and again I get called onto tills when it gets busy. The most annoything thing is when we're having a half price sale and someone has obviously put an item on a half-price rack. The customer then completely blows up in our face when it doesn't come up as half price. It's amazing, you can always tell when they've done it themselves because those who know it's genuine mistake will just go "oh, okay then I don't want it" whereas someone who has done it deliberately will go off on it and demand to see the manager. Okay I say, go see the manager...it get's them off my hands ^_^.

Customers are all b*****s...everysingle one of them. I myself am also one, whenever I go shopping ^_^, it's a rule. We aggrivate you, and you aggrivate us...it's the circle of life.

The name tag thing was always my biggest problem. I've explained it to people who haven't worked at a simliar job, but they don't seem to get it. When someone makes me wait on them almost hand and foot (I've had to help a single person in excess of an hour -- what is wrong with these people?) or whatever else, it just is very aggrivating. "Oh, by the way *reads nametag* thanks Tony."

I hate it. I don't know this person. I don't want to know this person. I'm not on a conversational level with people who generally treat me rather shoddily in my opinion. And sure, this might seem stupid... but it just bothered me.

As for the rest... that's just how it is, I guess. Most people aren't going to treat you even like a person when you work at such places. For every nice person, there's several indifferent ones and one or two pure assholes.

People that scream at you because they bought a CD with an Explicit Lyrics sticker on it and didn't realize it. People who bring back busted up vaccuums half a year after the exchange ended, and scream at you because you cannot do anything. People who PRETEND to be handicapped so you can push them around the store while they shop. People who throw **** at you, put words in your mouth, lie to your superiors and then storm out cursing you. People who destroy what you fixed up with no intent of even thinking about purchasing what was there. (I usually worked in clothes, and people would just rip up tables of folded clothes right after you did it). So many times I had gotten out at 1 or 2 AM because of these people. The freaking store closed at 10 PM. I had school the next morning, but I guess that didn't matter to the store.

Plus you had these people who would come up to you and basically expect you to know everything about every product. These people couldn't even explain what the damn thing is well enough for anyone to figure it out, but you had to just know instantly. I had people come back to me and say "we found it", which is fine -- but I don't need the nasty attitude over it. As if I steered you in the wrong direction on purpose. How I can know what someone wants when they don't even know what it is, I have no idea.

This was also a problem at the electronics and jewelery counters. People talk to us as if we're a specialty store. I'm sorry, but Target does not train us. Even in jewelery, I had to figure out how to do it all myself... and I was pretty good at it (watch batteries, links, etc). However, I just don't know how one camera comares to another in specific detail. We're not Ritz Camera or Best Buy, we don't learn this stuff. No one could ever seem to figure that out.

I think the biggest annoyance for me in retail was the people who just act like you're not there. If you're in a uniform, you're secondary unless they need help. I've had people totally cut me off, people almost run me down, people just stop right in front of me... and normally, fine, I'm just walking. I can stop. However, this also happens when you're pulling a flatbed full of 1,500 pounds of stuff. I can't just stop it on a dime.

It goes on and on. How these people function in a society, I don't know... and frankly, for what I made (it was about $7.65 at the time), I just stopped even giving a ****. I am not paid to take people's abuse in that manner. It was far worse than even what I've bothered to describe so far.

I didn't let any of this affect me for about two and half years. I was one of the nicest people there, I worked my hardest and I was the fastest cashier in the store (with the highest overall ranking as well). Then I just couldn't take it anymore. I became a very jaded person, especially at work. I stopped putting up with people's ****, and if they were unreasonable with me, I stopped being disgustingly nice back. It got to the point where I cut my hours down to just the weekends... and I'd get off on Sunday and be like "God, I have to be back here at Saturday???" and it would seriously ruin my entire week.

I quit awhile ago though, and I'm much better off I'd say. You're going to hate any job you have at this age. You're just part of the machine; a machine that will rip you apart as soon as you stop oiling it with all of its own bull****.

It's part time to pay for **** I need so I can finish school and get a real job. It's not my career and I'm not ever going to treat it as such. Doesn't mean I'm going to be needlessly rude either, but I'm not a robot lol.

[color=#707875]Interesting stuff.

I always try to be friendly/accommodating to the staff at any store that I visit. What Tony just pointed out (about the staff not knowing [i]everything[/i]) is a good point. I don't expect them to. And I realize that everyone has limitations.

So, when I hear these stories about how people treat staff and so on...it's very frustrating and annoying. I don't know how anyone can be so rude and ignorant.

[/color]

Hmm, let's see.

1) Cellphone's been broken for more than year.

2) I'm always looking for the dividers because people always shove their **** into my ****.

3) I go fast, because I don't like grocery stores. They're too bright, and hurt my eyes after a while.

4) As said before, I want to leave the store as quickly as possible, so I even HELP the bagger by putting my crap in the basket.

5/6/7) The most you'll get out of me are "How much is it?" and a mumbled "Thanks, have a nice day." as I'm leaving.

8) Wait, am I supposed to care if the cashier and bagger are friends? I am? Oh, my bad, I've been minidng my business this whole time. Damn me.

9) I don't scam. I steal.

10) I really could care less since I'm just going to the car with the bags, so even if something falls out, I won't be pissed.

11) I just love going to the "Ten items or less" lines with eleven things. Just so fun to see people not care.

12) I'm underage, too, but I'm not a horny old bastard, so, no worries. Plus I'm too poor to be a stalker.

13) "The most you'll get out of me are "How much is it?" and a mumbled "Thanks, have a nice day." as I'm leaving."

14) You all usually work fast enough for me, plus I do the things I mentioned above, so it goes fast enough to not make a scene.

The worst, though, I think, is working in a feed store. The people ask you to get the three-pound can of rat posion that is two inches above their head, but try to pick up the hundred and fifty pound bag of dog food on their own, break their backs/arms/legs/faces/ribs, and then try to sue the store, saying that the associates "wouldn't help them."

-_-;;;

[And now everyone knows why I don't have a job right now.]

[size=1]I don't work as a cashier, but because my job as a ride operator I can relate to a lot of these. I feel your pain, brother.

[u]Hurry The **** Up[/u] - It's very easy to walk into a beeive-shaped car and sit down, but for others it is insanely difficult. Children always run into the car and pull down on their lap bars before their parents can sit down, which is quite annoying. Even though we assign people to certain rows before they enter the car, groups of twelve all try to fit in the front row. They see that the car can only fit three people in a row, so what compells them to be so stupid? Argh. >_<"

[u]Don't Ignore Me[/u] - If somoene ignores me when I ask the a question it drives me insane, and I get even more angry when they totally ignore my directions. Just sit in the rows that I assigned you, and don't climb over the fences.

[u]I'm Not Your *****[/u] - I don't have any magical powers to make the line go faster, and I can't let 12 people come in through the exit because one of you is sitting in a wheelchair.

[u]Don't Stalk Us[/u] - Don't buy an annual pass and show up on our ride every day of the year, it freaks me out. Go get a job, and stop visiting the Winnie the Pooh ride so much.

[u]Don't Rush Us[/u] - If the ride breaks down and we're forced to close it temporarily please don't wait outside of the attraction and rush us when we re-open. It's terrifying to be surrounded by 300 angry people and have them all run past you at once. Being trampled is not fun.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Magdalena [/i]
[B]Disclaimer: I copied this from another forum I post at( I did write the post), thus the swearing is still there, but mostly censored. Please take it with a grain of salt if it vulgar language offends you.

As you all know, I'm a cashier at a grocery store. I come across many aggravations daily, as I slave away scanning cans and typing in codes for brocolli and such. Many people, and I'm not saying you, say how cashiers and baggers are horrible and how they need to improve, but never realize it's a two way street. Think about these common aggravations, and see if you do them, and try to avoid them.

[u]Cellphones[/u] - Never ever use them while I am scanning or bagging your order. I find that rude that you would rather be jabbering about who you partied with on the weekend instead of paying attention to your groceries. Your lack of care means fun times for me. You may find many of your items mangled, broken, or slightly damaged. Learn some manners, stupid *****. Don't use your goddamn cellphone.

[u]Dividers[/u] - Okay people, they are there for a reason. You know, so I don't scan in another customer's order in addition to yours? And what gets really mad is you blame it on me. Excuse me, I'll bring my psychic powers next time so I know when your goddamn order ends.

[u]Hurry The **** Up[/u] - Why must some people take so ****ing long unloading their groceries? Perfectly capable people take out an item at a time, slowly, and wasting my time. Yea, you complain when you don't get fast service, but your fat *** if taking too ****ing long to unload!

[u]Bring Up The Damn Carriage[/u] - Being a bagger as well, I know what it's like to have a conveyor belt full of bags, and you're still using the carriage as a lean post. If you do this, and the bagging sucks, blame it on yourself.

[u]Don't Ignore Me[/u] - I hate people. With a passion. So when I'm making an effort to be polite and charming, don't ignore me. That pisses me off, at least acknowledge me. I'm pretty important, considering I have a small bit of control over your finances( i.g. scanning things multiple times on "accident")

[u]I'm Not Your *****[/u] - I'm not going to bend over backwards for you. I can't magically make your credit card work, I'm not going to do something that you can do yourself, i.g. get your own ice. You can get that as you leave, thank you.

[u]Don't Bring Attention To Me[/u] - Thank you, I know I'm a fast bagger/cashier, and I'm pretty damn friendly, but don't make it so the whole store knows. I'm hated enough as it is, don't pile it on. Plus I blush easily, so I don't need that either.

[u]Don't Be A Hypocrite[/u] - People always complain that conversations between the cashiers/baggers make them feel left out and uncomfortable. How the hell do you think we feel when you're totally excluding us out of the conversation, as well. Learn some goddamn manners.

[u]Don't Try To Scam Us[/u] - We're not total idiots. We know how to count.

[u]Don't You Ever Doubt My Bagging[/u] - Just because I'm fast, doesn't mean I suck. So **** you, and check the bags and see if there are any problems. If I sucked at bagging, I would've been fired a while ago.

[u]WIC: Don't Use On Express[/u] - Whatever you call it where you are, don't use it on express. It takes up too much time and defeats the purpose.

[u]Don't Stalk Us[/u] - I'm underage. I don't need 70 year olds hitting on me, coming in to see me 5x a day. Thanks.

[u]Don't Use My Name On My Nametag[/u] - It freaks us all out to hear "Have a good day, Jennifer[or whatever other name]" because that shows familiarity. I'm your goddamn cashier for 10 minutes, I don't know you.

[u]Don't Rush Us[/u] - We don't operate on your time, so if you're in a rush, you should have came earlier. Not my problem.

I'll add more as I think of them, but please try to avoid these. They get me aggravated to no end, everyday.

Do you do these? Have any of you worked at a grocery store, and know what I'm talking about? [/B][/QUOTE]

How about this. Chill out. Relax. I've done the same thing you're doing now. Sure, it was boring, sure, some of the customers treat you like ****. But you know what? Who cares? It's a job. It's retail. It's SUPPOSED to suck ***.

I say, accept the mediocrity or general acidity of your working environment, brighten up, learn to go with the flow. Make a conscious effort to have fun; the customers are obviously trying to be nice (they're looking at your name tag, calling you by name, for Chrissake). The least you can do is provide the same kind of warmth or at least attempt the same kind of warmth.

There's a quote I'm looking for here...it goes something like,

"Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it."

Listen to that. You can only change yourself. You can't change how other people act. Sure, life sucks. You know what Denis Leary says?

"Life sucks. Get a helmet."

You're not happy with yourself. THAT'S why you're miserable, not because of a rude customer. You said it yourself:

"I hate people. With a passion."

You're making yourself miserable. Those customers aren't making you miserable. You're miserable to begin with. Make a conscious effort to change, then you won't be bothered.

I've worked retail/food services for 3 years or so. (I quit after finding a job working for a hospital.) I worked for Staples and Boston Market, undeniably two of the worst-run places for general employee happiness.

I got frustrated there, oh hell, I did. But then I came to a realisation:

This means jack ****. It's just a paycheck. Nothing to get worked up over. You know what I did after my realisation? I went home and played the following songs, in this order.

1) Let It Be.
2) Live and Let Die.
3) Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.
4) Good Riddance.
5) Bridge Over Troubled Water.
6) Free Bird.

At that moment, I learned to control my feelings. Treating yourself like a computer is THE GREATEST thing you can ever accomplish. I've programmed myself into feeling relaxed, calm, easy-going, and care-free. When I'm feeling upset, this is what I do.

Put my fingertips to my temples, close my eyes. Concentrate on visualizing my brain, isolating the upsetting material. I identify what it is, understand where it's coming from, log it, then send it to my Wastebasket. I proceed to empty the Wastebasket, delete my brain's cookies and temporary files, then clear my mental RAM. After this, I say to myself, "System restart in 3...2...1."

You know what happens then? I open my eyes and am TOTALLY calm and relaxed. I even think about what was bothering me earlier, and it doesn't bother me.

Do you realise what I did? I controlled my emotions. I controlled how I was feeling. I understood myself and understood how I work.

That's what you need to do. Bitching and moaning doesn't help. You need to undertake a CONSCIOUS effort to relieve yourself of stress and unhappiness.

Complaining is fine and all, but it will not help in the long run.

Thanks,

PoisonTongue

I don't see how people can be rude to store assistants. Maybe I have just had an exemplary upbringing (Heh.) but I am never rude to them. They are there to help, not be abused, they don't have to put up with your rubbish, and we should be nice to them. I am never rude to store people, because they are just doing their job. If they are slow *** or act like dickheads, I won't do anything, just get pissed off. But if they are nice, I will be nice, say Hello, How are you? etc. I am nice, if they are nice. Don't be rude, but don't act like they are your best bud either. BE civil, polite, but not over-whelmingly friendly, or any measure of rude. My mum works as uuuh... Secretary? At a police station, and she doesn't deserve to be abused because the police are all out, or because some ****wit has to pay his bill for speeding. Why is it her fault? If you ever feel the need to insult them, take a breath and grow up.

Ok, all anger gone. Time for Science period now

*riiiiiiiing* Lunch time bell gone :(

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]How about this. Chill out. Relax. I've done the same thing you're doing now. Sure, it was boring, sure, some of the customers treat you like ****. But you know what? Who cares? It's a job. It's retail. It's SUPPOSED to suck ***.

I say, accept the mediocrity or general acidity of your working environment, brighten up, learn to go with the flow. Make a conscious effort to have fun; the customers are obviously trying to be nice (they're looking at your name tag, calling you by name, for Chrissake). The least you can do is provide the same kind of warmth or at least attempt the same kind of warmth.

Listen to that. You can only change yourself. You can't change how other people act. Sure, life sucks. You know what Denis Leary says?

You're not happy with yourself. THAT'S why you're miserable, not because of a rude customer. You said it yourself:

You're making yourself miserable. Those customers aren't making you miserable. You're miserable to begin with. Make a conscious effort to change, then you won't be bothered.

I've worked retail/food services for 3 years or so. (I quit after finding a job working for a hospital.) I worked for Staples and Boston Market, undeniably two of the worst-run places for general employee happiness.

This means jack ****. It's just a paycheck. Nothing to get worked up over. You know what I did after my realisation? I went home and played the following songs, in this order.

1) Let It Be.
2) Live and Let Die.
4) Good Riddance.
6) Free Bird.

At that moment, I learned to control my feelings. Treating yourself like a computer is THE GREATEST thing you can ever accomplish. I've programmed myself into feeling relaxed, calm, easy-going, and care-free. When I'm feeling upset, this is what I do.

Put my fingertips to my temples, close my eyes. Concentrate on visualizing my brain, isolating the upsetting material. I identify what it is, understand where it's coming from, log it, then send it to my Wastebasket. I proceed to empty the Wastebasket, delete my brain's cookies and temporary files, then clear my mental RAM. After this, I say to myself, "System restart in 3...2...1."

You know what happens then? I open my eyes and am TOTALLY calm and relaxed. I even think about what was bothering me earlier, and it doesn't bother me.

Do you realise what I did? I controlled my emotions. I controlled how I was feeling. I understood myself and understood how I work.

That's what you need to do. Bitching and moaning doesn't help. You need to undertake a CONSCIOUS effort to relieve yourself of stress and unhappiness.

Thanks,

PoisonTongue [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow...that is very helpful. I wouldn't have put you as someone who could control their emotions like that, but I guess appearences can be decieving.

[color=indigo][u]Cellphones[/u] - When I worked retail I always hated how people would expect me to help them while they were carrying on a conversation on their phone...however, if the customer has what they need, dosen't require any help, has their credit card or money ready, and is all set to check out I have no problem when they talk on their phone, then I am not expected to converse with them...

[u]Dividers[/u] - I have never used these before, and I doubt I ever will. I just leave a large space on the belt...

[u]Hurry The **** Up[/u] - I am moving slowly because I waited in line for fifteen minutes because the cashier had to go and do a price check, plus, why the hell are you in such a hurry, you get paid by the hour

[u]Bring Up The Damn Carriage[/u] - I agree with this one.

[u]Don't Ignore Me[/u] - Well, when I say hello, and the cashier is too busy glaring at the laser-eyed scanner I tend to become a bit stand-offish

[u]I'm Not Your *****[/u] - I understand this sentiment. I hated when people wanted me to answer stupid questions like how thick the denim gauge is on a pair of jeans. They are friggin jeans, pants you wear for fashionable purposes, not a potective covering for your genitals. Buy a cup and leave me alone.

[u]Don't Bring Attention To Me[/u] - I agree with this one as well. I don't want you telling the entire store that I am buying pineapple scented condoms...and I am sure that ypu don't want me telling everyone how great a job you did ringing my rubbers

[u]Don't Try To Scam Us[/u] - But I am a cheap ***, I want to scam you

[u]Don't Use My Name On My Nametag[/u] - But I love you Jennifer, and I want to know your name, that way, when I stalk you too your house, I know what to call you as I breath heavily in the phone...it is pretty creapy when a person that you don't know refers to you by name...

[u]Don't Rush Us[/u] - I agree...

By the way, the best thing to ever happen to grocery stores was the automated check outs. I hated dealing with those sanctimonious (Y2J baby!) cashiers and baggers...you think that you are sooo much better than everyone else! Well guess what, I can operate a check out line as well. Booyah! [/color]

Self checkout is the best idea ever.

I was at Jewel last night (a huge grocery chain over here). After the guy rang us up, the chain poured out of this little machine into a cup. He handed us the bills, but we had to dig the change out ourselves. I thought it was just weird.

as a Hardware store cashier I feel your pain. My job forces me to act and think on a different level though wich can piss the customer and myself off a lot, take for example:

[u]Don't pretend you're smarter than me[/u]: I know I'm just a seventeen year old girl who can't tell the difference from a 3/4" wood screw from 1/2" roofing screw, please get off my case!

[u]Don't call me dear, hun, sweetie or kid[/u]: if it's one thing I can't stand it's that...

[u]don't hit on me[/u]: I work with thirty five year old men and older all day, cocky idiots who built stuff for a living, I think this speaks for itself.

Plus I also answer phones for the good part of the day, this is what I have to say about it:

[u]Please make sure your phone is in working order[/u]: I am not trained to make out the question you're asking of me because you have to yell into your phone or cellphone (wich never seems to have good reception)

[u]Don't call me back if I've put you on hold[/u]: I do it for a reason, the salesmen are busy and cannot wait on you hand and foot right away, plus there are people who call back screaming because they think I hung up on them.

[u]Don't insult me on the phone[/u]: I'll find you eventualy...

And the number one requirement to make my job less miserable:

[b][u]Don't look at me when I can't help you and say you're going to go to home depot instead![/b][/u]

For more of these:
[url]http://www.customerssuck.com[/url]
[url]http://rinkworks.com/stupid/[/url]

I worked a bit in a grocery store, and I was lucky enough not to have much such trouble, outside the fact people love to pour in the store when there are only 3 cashiers and a bagger... (There are 8 chash registers.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]How about this. Chill out. Relax. I've done the same thing you're doing now. Sure, it was boring, sure, some of the customers treat you like ****. But you know what? Who cares? It's a job. It's retail. It's SUPPOSED to suck ***.

1) Let It Be.
2) Live and Let Die.
4) Good Riddance.
6) Free Bird.

Thanks,

PoisonTongue [/B][/QUOTE]

PoisonTongue has alot of really good points...
did you know, stupid people dont make you mad...
stupid people cant make you do anything
YOU make you mad.
YOU controle how you react to the stupid rude people.
what i find helpful is to take to the people with a calm, clear mellow attitude.
at least, thats what helps me...

[color=blue][font=arial]I'm on Magdalena's side here. I've been a cashier at Kroger and a bagger at Tom Thumb. But now that I work at Papa John's....I'll add my on commentary here....

1) [b]Don't ask me which intersection I'm at[/b]: I said it in the introduction (Thank You for calling Papa Johns at [b]Coit and Legacy[/b]). It's your own damn fault you have ADD

2) [b]Learn my damn name[/b]: You're my boss....you shouldn't have to read my name tag

3) [b]This isn't the Army[/b]: Quit screaming in my ear when we're in the middle of a rush. You're not a Drill Sergeant, so I have a tendency to scream back

4) [b]If I ask off, there's a reason[/b]: Don't schedule me on days I warned you about 3 weeks before and then blame it on me

5) [b]Have your order ready before you call us[/b]: Nothing annoys me more than people that call, hear the special, then tell me to hold on. If you wanted pizza, you should have been ready. If the special doesn't accomedate you , tough luck.

6) [b]I didn't design the order system[/b]: So don't complain at me when you're Extra-Large Lardass pizza costs $20. Oh yeah, I do try to get you the best deal. I hate it when I'm screwed over, so don't accuse me of doing it to you.

7) [b]If it's Thin Crust, tell me[/b]: Don't order a pizza wanting Thin Crust, not telling me, and then jumping the drivers *** when he gets there. I'm not some type of damn psychic.

8) [b]We're not Pizza Hut or Dominos[/b]: If you want a goddamn philly cheesesteak pizza, don't ask me if there's any way we can make one...and don't ask me the number OR the price at a competitor. If I worked there, I wouldn't be here.

9) [b]Little Kids are cute...[/b]: BUT DON'T LET THEM ORDER! It took me 15 minutes one time to take an order from a girl no more than 5 years old. The thing that pissed me off was that her parents were telling her the order just quietly enough to not let me hear them....

I'm sure I have more. Bt I've got to get ready for work. Monday's aren't too bad...[/color][/font]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LostProphet [/i]
[B][color=blue][font=arial]Monday's aren't too bad...[/color][/font] [/B][/QUOTE]

How can you say that?! Monday's are when everybody comes to get the fresh shipments of sod, feed, hay, and look at the new fish on display..! Monday's are the Devil's own day!

*bad memories of having a half a ton of mulch, bagged, fall on him because customer wanted the one on the /bottom/.*

You know. As nice as it would be to be zen and find my "perfect place", it was never going to happen. When I should be getting out, at the most, an hour after the store closes and instead I get out about four hours afterwards instead... no amount of temple rubbing and counting down will help me.

There were honestly people so rude that I wanted to punch them in the face right there. Of course, I never did. I stayed friendly and pretended like I actually cared about their predicaments.

I can get as annoyed as I want about it, in my opinion. I don't use it as an excuse to mistreat anyone, even the customers. However, personally, when I want something to go away I just write or talk about it a cynical or pessimistic manner. It's humorous to me, and it helps. I'm not really an angry person. I'm rather calm and patient lol.

And Mondays do suck. Sunday is the start of the sales paper... and since it is generally the busiest day, you're still making up for it on Monday. Plus people really do return a lot of stuff that day.

This post is appalling to me. I will respond to each one of these hideous atrocities.

[quote][u]Cellphones[/u] - Never ever use them while I am scanning or bagging your order. I find that rude that you would rather be jabbering about who you partied with on the weekend instead of paying attention to your groceries. Your lack of care means fun times for me. You may find many of your items mangled, broken, or slightly damaged. Learn some manners, stupid *****. Don't use your goddamn cellphone.[/quote]
I don't come up to the cashier to have a friendly chat, I come to get my food, pay and leave. Why should I waste my time talking to someone who I will never talk to again? Everyone knows you don't care how my day is going, so why bother pretend?

[quote][u]Dividers[/u] - Okay people, they are there for a reason. You know, so I don't scan in another customer's order in addition to yours? And what gets really mad is you blame it on me. Excuse me, I'll bring my psychic powers next time so I know when your goddamn order ends.[/quote] You should be paying more attention rather than talking to some cute boy you saw. :rolleyes:

[quote][u]Hurry The **** Up[/u] - Why must some people take so ****ing long unloading their groceries? Perfectly capable people take out an item at a time, slowly, and wasting my time. Yea, you complain when you don't get fast service, but your fat *** if taking too ****ing long to unload![/quote]
All of the slow downs I've seen are 100% because of the cashiers. Maybe you'r the one that should hurry?

[quote][u]Bring Up The Damn Carriage[/u] - Being a bagger as well, I know what it's like to have a conveyor belt full of bags, and you're still using the carriage as a lean post. If you do this, and the bagging sucks, blame it on yourself.[/quote]
What am I to lean on then? Did you think of me? I'm the costumer, so I'm always right.

[quote][u]Don't Ignore Me[/u] - I hate people. With a passion. So when I'm making an effort to be polite and charming, don't ignore me. That pisses me off, at least acknowledge me. I'm pretty important, considering I have a small bit of control over your finances( i.g. scanning things multiple times on "accident")[/quote]
Don't make the effort then. Unless you're an awesome actor, I'm sure everyone can see through your insincere politeness.

[quote][u]I'm Not Your *****[/u] - I'm not going to bend over backwards for you. I can't magically make your credit card work, I'm not going to do something that you can do yourself, i.g. get your own ice. You can get that as you leave, thank you.[/quote]
Everything is wrong about this.

[quote][u]Don't Bring Attention To Me[/u] - Thank you, I know I'm a fast bagger/cashier, and I'm pretty damn friendly, but don't make it so the whole store knows. I'm hated enough as it is, don't pile it on. Plus I blush easily, so I don't need that either.[/quote]
You hate it when we ignore you and hate it when we pay attention and compliment you? You're hard to please.

[quote][u]Don't Be A Hypocrite[/u] - People always complain that conversations between the cashiers/baggers make them feel left out and uncomfortable. How the hell do you think we feel when you're totally excluding us out of the conversation, as well. Learn some goddamn manners.[/quote]
Why would you want to be in a conversation with two people you don't know and if you're such a fast bagger, only last for a few minutes?

[quote][u]Don't Try To Scam Us[/u] - We're not total idiots. We know how to count.[/quote]
It's actually quite easy to scam you

[quote][u]Don't You Ever Doubt My Bagging[/u] - Just because I'm fast, doesn't mean I suck. So **** you, and check the bags and see if there are any problems. If I sucked at bagging, I would've been fired a while ago.[/quote]
Are you perfect? If not I will question all I want.

[quote][u]WIC: Don't Use On Express[/u] - Whatever you call it where you are, don't use it on express. It takes up too much time and defeats the purpose.[/quote]
I don't know what that means!

[quote][u]Don't Stalk Us[/u] - I'm underage.[/quote]
Not for me!

[quote][u]Don't Use My Name On My Nametag[/u] - It freaks us all out to hear "Have a good day, Jennifer[or whatever other name]" because that shows familiarity. I'm your goddamn cashier for 10 minutes, I don't know you.[/quote]
Yet you want to have a conversation with me...

[quote][u]Don't Rush Us[/u] - We don't operate on your time,[/quote]
You wont' be operating at all if you don't hurry up.

Overall I don't see how you even work as a cashier, I suggest you quit.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeviLina [/i]
[B][color=silver]
i know there are stupid people in the world...but some of the dumbest people in the world shop there with those questions!!! :mad: [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
They have some of the dumbest workers too. Overall it's a horrible shop.