OtakuBoards

Lessons as a Cashier

Guest Magdalena

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]And Mondays do suck. Sunday is the start of the sales paper... and since it is generally the busiest day, you're still making up for it on Monday. Plus people really do return a lot of stuff that day. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=blue][font=arial]Well, pizza places aren't that bad on Mondays. We had 50 orders when I left last night at 9 PM. On a typical day, we'll have somewhere around 170 orders by 8 PM...only then will it 'slow down'

Believe me, Mondays aren't bad for me[/color][/font]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]This post is appalling to me. I will respond to each one of these hideous atrocities.

I don't come up to the cashier to have a friendly chat, I come to get my food, pay and leave. Why should I waste my time talking to someone who I will never talk to again? Everyone knows you don't care how my day is going, so why bother pretend?

You should be paying more attention rather than talking to some cute boy you saw. :rolleyes:

All of the slow downs I've seen are 100% because of the cashiers. Maybe you'r the one that should hurry?

What am I to lean on then? Did you think of me? I'm the costumer, so I'm always right.

Don't make the effort then. Unless you're an awesome actor, I'm sure everyone can see through your insincere politeness.

Everything is wrong about this.

You hate it when we ignore you and hate it when we pay attention and compliment you? You're hard to please.

Why would you want to be in a conversation with two people you don't know and if you're such a fast bagger, only last for a few minutes?

It's actually quite easy to scam you

Are you perfect? If not I will question all I want.

I don't know what that means!

Not for me!

Yet you want to have a conversation with me...

You wont' be operating at all if you don't hurry up.

Overall I don't see how you even work as a cashier, I suggest you quit. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's nice to know you have such toleration for other people. Both of you. I would hate to be served by a cashier like you Magdalena and I would hate to serve a customer like you Harry. Everyone has their own faults so rather than ***** about them and dwell on how awful people are try to remember that it's just as easy for you to be on the other side.

Oh and by the way Harry, the customer isn't always right you aren't always blameless you know.

Guest Magdalena
You do realize doukeshi, that this is just a frustration, it's not like I really do it. Just a way to channel out my feelings and yet teach others and share experiences with others.

[color=deeppink]Magdalena, I like grocery store cashiers very much. [b]Vons[/b] is the grocery store of Southern California [maybe all of California, I don't know] and their employees are always so nice. Their cashiers are usually women who have been working at the store for YEARS because they receive such good benfits and are treated well as employees. They're all so friendly and a lot of them know my boyfriend and I because we're always in there for some reason or another.

So I like the cashiers at Vons, they're so nice ^___^

However, in Michigan the HUUUGE grocery store is [b]Meijer[/b] [pronounced My-Er], and it's basically a Super Wal-Mart on steroids. ANyway, I never liked going to Meijer because the employees scared me a bit, and they were never friendly. I'm glad that Meijer is now a thing of my past, and that Vons is my future. It's 10x friendlier, now :D

Ok, so that's my grocery store ramble. Mhm.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by doukeshi03 [/i]
[B]Oh and by the way Harry, the customer isn't always right you aren't always blameless you know. [/B][/QUOTE]

You're wrong there. Every district manager admits and follows the golden rule of all [smart] businesses; the customer is ALWAYS right. Because without them being right, you don't don't get a paycheck. And trust me, just pissing off one person can hurt you, especially if you're in a small town.

[B]
Oh and by the way Harry, the customer isn't always right you aren't always blameless you know. [/B][/QUOTE]
You can say that now, but when a boss fires you for telling an irrate customer to leave you wil change your mind. Think of it this way, you can walk into a store, purposely get into an arguement with the employee, and 9 times out of 10 the employee will be fired.

This is rather amusing, seeing as I just put in my CV and am applying for a position at Australian Geographic.

lol

How nice to know that I'm stepping into such a world of double standards and awful awful people.

Oh wait, are you just talking about stores in America? ~_^

Seriously, you're making out that all customers are evil and it happens all the time and blah blah blah.

Yeesh. If you were in their shoes, what would your opinion be?

That goes for the customers as well.

There are so many holes in these arguments when the tables get turned, it's not funny.

Oh wait, no, it is rather amusing actually ^_^

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]Magdalena, I like grocery store cashiers very much. [b]Vons[/b] is the grocery store of Southern California [maybe all of California, I don't know] and their employees are always so nice. Their cashiers are usually women who have been working at the store for YEARS because they receive such good benfits and are treated well as employees. They're all so friendly and a lot of them know my boyfriend and I because we're always in there for some reason or another.

So I like the cashiers at Vons, they're so nice ^___^[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I love Vons. There is one a block away from my house, and my family shops there all of the time. It's so refreshing to go to a business and have the employees be friendly to you, as opposed to how rudely some people act today.

I always try my best to be friendly and helpful at my job, even though I literally have to deal with thousands of guests every hour.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LostProphet [/i]
[B][color=blue][font=arial]Where do you work?
[/color][/font][/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Who me? I work as a ride operator at Disneyland. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is my home.

-Shy

(And NO, I did not get to choose which attraction I work at.)[/size]

[B]You can say that now, but when a boss fires you for telling an irrate customer to leave you wil change your mind. Think of it this way, you can walk into a store, purposely get into an arguement with the employee, and 9 times out of 10 the employee will be fired. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wrong, the employee will recieve a warning, to just fire them without first giving them two verbal and one written warnings is against your basic working rights. Most arguments between customers and employees are usually polite and considerate on the side of the employee and irrational and abusive on the side of the customer.

Also, the customer isn't always right. For instance, say if they were to take a price tag and put it on a more expensive product and then get into an argument with the cashier over it. The cashier would politely state that they are in fact in the wrong and that the product is not that price. The customer would then ask to see a manager. The manager would refuse said product to the customer because it has abviously been re-tagged. The customer can either leave gracefully or storm out like a drama queen. Trust me, I've seen it happen. I have also had abuse over it but *shrugs* I can smile and take it cause that's what I'm paid to do. In the end they don't get the product, I'm not the one who's nose is out of joint.

[B]Wrong, the employee will recieve a warning, to just fire them without first giving them two verbal and one written warnings is against your basic working rights. Most arguments between customers and employees are usually polite and considerate on the side of the employee and irrational and abusive on the side of the customer [/B][/QUOTE] Things work different here in America. We don't have the EU to make it nearly impossible to fire an employee.

[B]Things work different here in America. We don't have the EU to make it nearly impossible to fire an employee. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thus making it fairer for the employee so that they can't be fired if their manager is just having a bad day ^_~. If someone is fired it should be for the right reasons, not just for an isolated incident.

[B]Thus making it fairer for the employee so that they can't be fired if their manager is just having a bad day ^_~. If someone is fired it should be for the right reasons, not just for an isolated incident. [/B][/QUOTE] I've heard that it's so hard to get people fired that companies are reluctant to even hire anyone. That true?

[B]I've heard that it's so hard to get people fired that companies are reluctant to even hire anyone. That true? [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope. In fact during my time at my current employment there have been five consecutive firings and they are still looking for people to employ and welcome them with open arms. We aren't all as law suit happy over here. Like I said, if you're fired there's a reason, it isn't difficult to fire someone if they're doing something wrong.

[B]You can say that now, but when a boss fires you for telling an irrate customer to leave you wil change your mind. Think of it this way, you can walk into a store, purposely get into an arguement with the employee, and 9 times out of 10 the employee will be fired. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just wanted to point out that I've been in the situation myself. I'm not till staff (or a cashier) but I work in fitting rooms and I have asked a customer to leave before. She was irate. And she argued with me. She said she was going to get my manager. I offered to call him over for her. And then she went, grumbling all the way. I was in the right, and she wasn't. Simple as. Customers are [b]not[/b] always right, the rule of thumb is that you treat them like they are. Then they have nothing to complain about...

...theoretcially...

...but y'know... they usually find something O_o

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by liamc2 [/i]
[B]Seriously, you're making out that all customers are evil and it happens all the time and blah blah blah.

Yeesh. If you were in their shoes, what would your opinion be?

That goes for the customers as well.

There are so many holes in these arguments when the tables get turned, it's not funny.[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think they're making that out at all, Liam. I think they're airing their grievances somewhere harmless, rather than exploding at customers that could get them fired. A rather smart thing to do, really.

So many holes in what arguements, exactly? I mean...if we're taking this from a Cashier's point of view, those thigns are annoying. It's like saying, "I really don't like this person, but if I take it from their point of view, chances are they do like themselves."

*shrug* I'm not trying to pick a point, and I'm sorry if you've been annoyed or offended by my remarks, but...I've been on both sides of the counter, and I'm incredibly impressed with those people who can put up with these things day after day.

I myself have never been employed. I've done some volunteer work, at canteens and coffee stalls and such, but I've never been paid for it.

The worst things I've ever come across was at the Netball Canteen. Netball can range from 6 year olds to however long you want to play. So parents decide that, in order to get their 6 year olds off their back, they'll send them to get lollies in the middle of rush hour. So you have children standing at the counter saying 'Could I please have...um...um...what I we get for two dollars?' Or, better yet, 'Um, could I please get two dollars worth of clouds?' Clouds are 5 cents each. Two dollars worth of clouds is [i]40 Clouds[/i], and you have to count them out of the damned box. I'm sorry, but when there are 40 people waiting to be served, it's extremely frustrating.[/size]

Guest cloricus
Harry the customer is not always right; in fact in most cases they are wrong. The motto "The customer is always right" goes back to the days when if a store screwed up 'wives would talk' and so it was common that stores to save face would give in to the customer. This sort of practise is still common out in the bush in Australia, a pubs whole meal serving business died because of a few bad comments and people dissatisfied with it. (Normally about 40 people a night would go there now no one does.)

The fact that it's come down in some legacy laws is irrelevant to the fact that it is no longer in a businesses interests to let every complaint a customer makes go based on the change in society that appears no one else cares what you think. So there are now things in place to test if the customer is right or not, which seem to be working in favour of both sides.

So no the customer is not always right.