OtakuBoards

Is it me or does school suck....

yogi bear

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]

Wait till you have ME as your instructor. You think detention was bad? How about reading Beowulf in Old English? Or, perhaps...The Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English. like I will do.

"[/B][/QUOTE]

No no no, Make them read the Canterbury tales(all of the tales, not just the prolouge and the pardoner's tale, which is all i had to read), in Medieval french, which was the vernacular right before middle English. That's a killer. Middle english isn't to hard to read. I read the first page of the prolouge in Middle english. After the first 5 lines it's not that bad.

My dentions would soon be outlawed by any state I taught in.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue[/i]

Wait till you have ME as your instructor. You think detention was bad? How about reading Beowulf in Old English? Or, perhaps...The Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English. You haven't had sadistic instructors until you have me. I'm the kind of teacher that students are either going to love or hate.

I'll force you to read Gilgamesh...out loud in front of the class.
[/quote]

And you wonder why we all love you sooooo very much.

*commisions Mei to make him a PoisonTongue plushie*

Seriously, at least your students would be good....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]I had a tough time with [i]Romeo and Juliet[/i], but I found [i]Hamlet[/i] and [i]The Twelfth Night[/i] to be equally as challenging. I like to think that I have a semi-competent grasp on the English language, but Old English must be one of those things you either understand or don't. Congratulations, you seem to be on the winning end.[/b][/quote]
Well it's not either you understand it or you don't, you either know it or don't. It's basically a completely different language.

[quote]I don't know if anyone [i]really[/i] understands most Shakespear that they read without studying it for a long time. It takes someone who can unlock metaphors and riddles, it's not like everyday people can understand it at first glance. I'd be surprised if anyone [i]but[/i] Shakespearean scholars could fully and correctly interpret a cold reading of any of his works.[/quote]
I never found it to be monstrously hard to understand him. All you have to do is think and read at the same time. Sure you probably won't understand every metaphor and reference, but it shouldn't be that hard to understand the main plot, what characters are like and so forth.

[quote]No no no, Make them read the Canterbury tales(all of the tales, not just the prolouge and the pardoner's tale, which is all i had to read), in Medieval french, which was the vernacular right before middle English. That's a killer. Middle english isn't to hard to read. I read the first page of the prolouge in Middle english. After the first 5 lines it's not that bad.
[/quote]
The canterbury tales were written originally in middle english, why would you want to bother reading a (more) translated version? One of the greatest parts about the Canterbury tales was because it went agains the norm and was written in Middle English, which was nearly unheard of.

[size=1]

I hate school this year. A lot of the classes are really cool and fun, but other than that it is hell. Too much homework. Seriously, my english teacher will assign us a 5 page essay on something and not tell us until the bell rings and than she says it is due the next day! Then she will assign another one the following day! Gah! I hate my english class. I'm in 8th grade, I don't need to be doing this many essays! A few here and there I can understand though.[/size]

I'm in tenth and it is the devil! I hate school. I go to a private/Christian school so the rules are crazy. Not only do you have to worry about your studies but your socks! If you wear ankle socks, pants that come below your belly botton, shoes with wooden soles or if the soles are above 1 inch, not a white under shirts, if your shirt is not tucked in (and more) then you get sent to the pricipals office. Say, you get sent 3 times- saturday school where you get to clean up the school all afternoon, sent 8 times- suspension. My school is physcho. Man, being a sophmore is crazy hard too! I am going to create a time machine and kill the person who created geometry!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]Oh wow. You're so advanced. Romeo And Juliet is quite possibly Shakespeare's most simple play out of the major ones read in school. Whether you interpret R&J as teen love gone wrong, or social commentary directed at paternal control, it's still Shakespeare's most basic idea.

Take a look at Macbeth. Or King Lear. Or Hamlet. Or Henry V. The Tempest.

R&J is child's play. But you can keep feeling so proud of yourself that you can understand it before the rest of your class. Good job. You can read and understand Shakespeare's most basic tragedy. OMG! Hmph. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wasn?t trying to brag, but it obviously came out that way. I was just trying to say that I comprehend and actually enjoy reading things written in old English. And now that you mention it, I am proud of the fact I can do something that a lot of people seem to have trouble doing. I don?t have many talents so I focus on the few I do have, like reading comprehension. I would like to reiterate that I did not mean to sound arrogant even if it seems otherwise and say that the post you quoted was mostly made in jest.

Thank you for your time.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the The Boy [/i]
[B]I wasn?t trying to brag, but it obviously came out that way. I was just trying to say that I comprehend and actually enjoy reading things written in old English. And now that you mention it, I am proud of the fact I can do something that a lot of people seem to have trouble doing. I don?t have many talents so I focus on the few I do have, like reading comprehension. I would like to reiterate that I did not mean to sound arrogant even if it seems otherwise and say that the post you quoted was mostly made in jest.

Thank you for your time. [/B][/QUOTE]

And just to clarify, Shakespeare did not write in Old English. Hell, he didn't even pen in Middle English. He used his own style of poetry.

I hate school. I play hookey alot and just don't go. I'm a senior so its not reall that important anymore. I just need two credits to graduate early and I'm getting them at the end of ther semester. I have grown close to my teachers and they just give me grades now except for the math lady who still trys to teach me stuff.

Well now I know it's not just me, so what gets you through an entire day of school much less a full year. Me personally I just space out untill 3:10 or ilegally listen to my cd player, once I had a big project to get through school I drew an entire mirual on my arm it was pretty cool.

[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=darkblue]IT SUCKS IT! SUCKS! IT SUCKS! IT SUCKS! Sorry but that's my opinion of school. The only thing I like of my school are two classes. Gym and Drama! I hate school but now that I think of it school is there to prepare you,to get you ready for the real world. To get you ready for the real grusome tasks like french speaking *shudders* No offence to anyone that speaks or is french I LIVE in a french province but I am doomed to never know the language but I still have to go through the classes. *Sigh* oh well. School overall is a great place to be if you hold yourself in there do your assignments and listen to the teachers.[/font][/color]

Considering I have about 3 classes, and am a senior, my school is great. I want to get out too, but seeing as I am taking a college course at collge, I can see the difference. College is hard, but since it's optional for me I think it's kinda fun, at least what I'm taking. Oh yeah, and this is directed at PoisenTounge btw, just because some of us can comprehend high level stuff and others can't doesn't mean you should get on his back about it. You are a 20 something year old in college, he's still in high school, of course you will know more about that stuff. (Send me a PM if you can, as I sense some sort of intelligence in your posts... I'd like to converse)

My schools okay. Most of the teachers are nice and the work is pretty easy. It would be great if i had a different scince teacher though. My scince teacher is horrible! He just sits at his desk doing nothing. He never explains anything so everyone just cluelessly stares at thier books, and we don't understand anything, and he dosn't even help us.

I don't hate school...I don't like it...to me...school is nothing more but an investment...you put your time and energy into it...hoping that the education it gives you leads you to a very favorable job...and when you get a job that pays a huge paycheck...you save up...eventually buying the school...then setting it on fire...the irony is overwhelming...

Oh, get over it, people. Yes, school isn't the best place to be. Yes, it can be boring. What would you do otherwise? I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I'd rather go to school than hang around at home every day. At least I learn things. Some of them I may not care for (History, Chemistry), but others, like my Theater or Geometry class, I find pretty interesting. The bottom line is, you can't do anything about it. If you hate school so much, drop out. See what'll happen to you. Lol.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Original [/i]
[B]Oh, get over it, people. Yes, school isn't the best place to be. Yes, it can be boring. What would you do otherwise? I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I'd rather go to school than hang around at home every day. At least I learn things. Some of them I may not care for (History, Chemistry), but others, like my Theater or Geometry class, I find pretty interesting. The bottom line is, you can't do anything about it. If you hate school so much, drop out. See what'll happen to you. Lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

My same thought, you only get a few years to learn then your off to work the rest of your life, enjoy school otherwise you'll be working at a low paying job and regreat it later in life.

Honestly, this thread has lost it's novelty value way back on the first page. School's tough, cry me a river. I'd rather slave away for 12 years training to be a doctor, then make 6 figures for the rest of my life than piss and moan and quit.

"Is it me, or does school suck?"

It's you.