OtakuBoards

What would you do if life had an "undo" button?

Kieko

:babble: We've all done these really crazy, stupid, and sometimes mean things. I'm not saying it's wrong that we do these things, it's our human nature and we can't help it. I was just wondering what I or anyone else would do if life could be undone and redone with the simple press of a button.

The number one thing I would redo is the time I did something really stupid and mean to one of my best friends. I ignored them for quite a while. I think I was thinking that, if I ended my friendship, then when they moved away (I'm not going to go into detail about why they would do so) I wouldn't be so attached and therefore I won't hurt me as much. It was so stupid! I did something like this for myself! It's been a month since I started talking to them and I still haven't patched things up with their family (they brought them into this). I hope to patch things up with them soon, I'm starting to feel real guilty.

So, what would you undo in your life?

[color=deeppink]I would totally undo everything that I have said or done that has hurt the people that I love.

I would also take back all of the times that I ignored my brother while he was still alive, I would spend waaaaay more time with him now! Funny how life works like that, Joni Mitchell really knew her stuff when she sang 'You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." Ah, she's a lyrical goddess :whoops:[/color]

I probably wouldn't change a thing. Everything happens for a reason. Even the **** in my life that I've gone through that so few people know about, I learned from it. If I didn't go through that, I have no idea how I'd be now. Better off? Worse off? How would I know?

Let's say I change my father dying... then what? I don't exactly remember lots of happy times with him. In fact, my most vivid memories of him consist of him lying to my face and me finding a mirror with cocaine on it (not that I knew what it was at the time). Yet it didn't change the fact that it hurt when he left, nor did it change the fact that for years as a child I wished he never died and that my mom never remarried.

The day my mom and Andy (my now step-dad) told me and my sister they were getting married, my sister and I cried our eyes out. I actually got mad at them and told them "Thanks for ruining my life". I was only ten at the time.

Yet now I am 21 years old. And you know what? Andy is more of a dad to me than my biological dad ever was.

I don't sit and think about things I cannot control. Nor do I think how they could have worked out differently. I'm too preoccupied by what is at hand and I'm not about to waste my life away on hypothetical situations.

I'm not always happy, but I'm not always sad either. At this point, I'm content with things despite not knowing what is coming. I don't obsess on the future, nor do I dwell on the past. Sure, I think about these things... but still. Not to the point where I'd ever let it rule me or make me wish it were different.

I'm happy how things are now. Sometimes bad things have to happen for you to get where you are now. Sometimes you have to hurt people, ignore people, get them out of your life. Sometimes you have to do all you can do to keep them around. I wouldn't wish away any harm I've caused anyone. Somtimes it has a beneficial effect, sometimes not. It's just life.

I also realize I'm probably taking this idea to extremes... but this has been brought up before, and it always annoys me.

There are some things I just wouldn't mess with, but there are a few moments back in high school where I wish I could fix all of my relationship troubles.

I'd undo my relationship with a girl I knew in 10th grade. I never let her in, and I basically lost my chance to get close to her. I'd redo that moment she subtly asked me out to the Sadies dance (I didn't [i]know[/i] she was asking me at the time. It took me until next year's Sadies to figure it out) and I'd go with her.

I'd also undo my entire senior year for 2 main reasons.
[b]1.)[/b] So I could have a different lunch period 2nd semester and wouldn't be stuck hanging out at lunch with my friend Alex's conceited friends.
[b]2.)[/b] So I could've found a date to prom. I don't appreciate getting lied to by a girl who says she's not going to be there, and then I run into her on the dance floor. Not to mention my grandfather rented a Lincoln Towncar for my prom and forgot to ask for a stretch, so I had to sit up front with the driver.

I'd undo the time I spent on this girl casey, to find out how she actually didn't like me (she lied the whole relationship)but she wanted to date my friend so she used me :-/.

I would redo things that hurt me......

But I'm happy with my life, things hurt, people hurt,we hurt. you have to hurt to gain a sense of what you lose.

[size=1] I'm not really sure whether I would want to undo anything. Many things I do wrong upset me and make me mad or whatever, but like what Semjaza said, "Everything happens for a reason". Some things I regret happening but they are in the past and there isn't anything I could do about them. Although, out of some of the bad things that happened, good things happened because if my mum hadn't had her first divorce and I hadn't moved to where I am now, then I wouldn't know all my friends and actually like where I am now. [/size]

[color=indigo]If there was a redo button on life I honestly would probably have used it too the point of breakage. Although I believe that every action that you take, especially those that you regret, help to shape your life I also am aware that I am a very weak man, and often instant reprieve would be a welcomed comfort. I would probably use it to modify nearly every aspect of my life that I have caused me the loss of sleep, I would say every word that I regretted not saying and silence those that I regretted saying. I would probably do two or three takes of certain parts of my life just to get it right. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I probably wouldn't change a thing. Everything happens for a reason. Even the **** in my life that I've gone through that so few people know about, I learned from it. If I didn't go through that, I have no idea how I'd be now. Better off? Worse off? How would I know?
I don't sit and think about things I cannot control. Nor do I think how they could have worked out differently. I'm too preoccupied by what is at hand and I'm not about to waste my life away on hypothetical situations.

I'm not always happy, but I'm not always sad either. At this point, I'm content with things despite not knowing what is coming. I don't obsess on the future, nor do I dwell on the past. Sure, I think about these things... but still. Not to the point where I'd ever let it rule me or make me wish it were different.

I'm happy how things are now. Sometimes bad things have to happen for you to get where you are now. Sometimes you have to hurt people, ignore people, get them out of your life. Sometimes you have to do all you can do to keep them around. I wouldn't wish away any harm I've caused anyone. Somtimes it has a beneficial effect, sometimes not. It's just life.[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=#503F86]That sums my thoughts up exactly. The only major event that I could change would be breaking my leg when I was eight. It sounds pretty trivial (especially compared to what Semjaza was describing), but it really did make me who I am now, and I wouldn't want to change that for anything.

I suppose... there are just little things- realising that the people I was friends with for a year and a half weren't actually my friends and I wish I'd moved on to find the better group a lot sooner, if only to be able to spend more time with them during those years. I guess you could consider that time as being rather wasted in that respect, because I wasn't living it as greatly as I could be, floating to one place or another. but even then it still worked out alright.

Even smaller than that would be the tiny things I regret- slips of the tongue, just really stupid things I've said or done that I still regret today because they make me seem like a stupid idiot.

But regret is there for a reason- to prevent us from making the same mistake twice. And I sure as hell won't do that again.[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=CC0000]I agree with Semjaza, although I don't believe in Fate, everything does eventually have a reason for it happening, even if it isn't clear at first. I would only change a few trivial things, stupid things that I did and I dwell on and regret them a lot now. I hate regret.

Nothing REALLY major has happened in my life to affect me a lot, but if it did I wouldn't use an Undo button. I'd rather just be stoic and take everything as it comes than try to change everything, but I really feel that I should try to alter fate sometimes..[/size][/color]

Mmm-hmm. I agree with Semjaza. I was thinking on what would happen if I undid my elementary years (when I was 4-11). I would probably undo those years because of all the pain I went through. I mean, it wasn't anything major like some of yours were, but it was that every day at school, people would tease me and some of my "friends" did so also. They would be nice to me for a little while and then turn around and be mean to me with the rest. I guessed it was peer pressure, and I really wanted to be their friend, so I forgave them every time. My only true friends were Matthias (who's moved away now) and Ricky and we fought a lot in our earlier years as friends. But, then I reached middle school and, even though the teasing was still going, I had more friends so I was happier. Now, I have the same amount of friends but the teasing's stopped. I think me being teased was a way that I built my character, just like the bad experiences builds anyone elses. As for quirells with my friends, and saying the wrong thing to people, unless they're you don't like them, I think it's just a way to test your relationship with them.

[size=1] There have been so many multiple threads about this; I remember there was even one recently.

I'm not going to quote Tony, but it's exactly what I would have said.

My Mom divorced my biological father when I was young. I don't think I'd be the same person at all if they had stayed together. Supposedly my Mom divorced him because she was being abused.

Also my Biological Father used to call me on the phone when I was ten, and ask me how my day went, and other such things. This made me happy when I was younger; but then, he'd always ask if I was going to get my blood checked to see if I'm actually his son. I didn't realize then that he wanted me to get my blood checked to see if I was his son, but I realize it now. And I realize his reason for this; he of course didn't want to pay child support. Nor has he for years, until now.

I also remember that I had a very mean teacher about...4th grade? This was when I was living in...Indiana I think. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I think the school was called Earling Elementry or something.

If I was late the teacher would stand me in front of the class, in front of all their faces. She'd ask me to tell them why I had been late. I'd tell her, and she'd say that it was an excuse, and for me to tell the truth. And then I'd stand there and cry in front of her face.

It got so bad that I ended up staying out of her class for the last week or so of it. My parents also almost got her fired.

She did other things too, but the bell just rang, and I have to go to Latin.

In short, I wouldn't change a thing. It's all made me who I am. Exactly what Tony says is exactly how I feel.[/size]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I guess the things that I might consider "undoing" were things of stupidity that I don't blame on myself, seriously.

My parents didn't graduate from high school. In fact, only one person in my entire family did. And that was one of my Aunts. Anywho, I didn't have any clue that at the end of your senior year you would be ranked based on grades. If I'd have know that, I would have worked a WHOLE lot harder so that I could have been higher in the class rank. It just aggrivates me that people who didn't even take Honors classes were in the top ten. I'm sorry, but at least I challenged myself in high school.

Also, I would have developed good study habits in high school instead of struggling to do it now that I'm in college. I hate being a procrastinator. *sighs*[/color][/size]

I would undo all the stupid things i've done in my life. And the other thing. Im not saying it but you know, sometimes you're embarassed. And its hard. But i seriously wish there was a undo button. But sometimes not. If there was a redo button then who i am today wouldn't be who i am if there was such thing. Every thing that i have done in my life shapes myself. Though i would like to undo the stupid things i have done, when i do i won't have the experience or the knowledge i gained from doing those things. *sigh*

Guest Skyechild91
Huh. I would undo, lets see, EVRYTHING!!!!! I have to be one of the clumsiest ppl.... Okay, not really, but I would undo... i tried asking out this boy once... that spelled total disaster with capital T and D...

If life had an 'undo' button, I'm sure I would be tempted to use it.

However, as things stand, I'd have to agree with Semjaza. Things--both good and bad--happen for a reason. All the stupid mistakes I've made over the years won't be wasted, because I know now how not to repeat them. All the painful or tragic events that I've experienced in my life have helped to shape the person I am today.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]If life had an 'undo' button, I'm sure I would be tempted to use it.

However, as things stand, I'd have to agree with Semjaza. Things--both good and bad--happen for a reason. All the stupid mistakes I've made over the years won't be wasted, because I know now how not to repeat them. All the painful or tragic events that I've experienced in my life have helped to shape the person I am today.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] Agreed totally. You know, sometimes in life we do wish there was an undo button to remove the nasty things in our lives, but those experiences help shape who we are today. If i hadn't gone through some of the totally rotten stuff in my life, I would have been totally different from who i am today, or if I "had have just done this" or "If I had just gone over that way" Things would be very different today, and i wouldn't want that.

There is a good chance I would not have discovered the church I'm at for example, and then i wouldn't have been filled with the Holy Spirit when I was, and found a girl I really liked :p Things, everything, happens for a reason, and I'm only really learning to accept that myself

- All in all, after thinking that out, If life had an undo button, I'd leave it alone. [/size]

Guest PhoenixFlame
the one thing i dissapprove of more than anything is not being able to fix,correct or make up for a mistake...the things i dissapprove of are not being able to correct mistakes and suicide...if i had an undo button i would beat the crap out of a person who drove me over the edge and if i was too severely punished for it id undo it...

I know my reply is going to sound super korny to some but to me it just makes sense:

I would do nothing over again, sure I'd like to...but I wouldn't. For I feel each event that take part of our lives is what makes us the person that we are today. No matter how insiginificant we may think it to be.

I think my regrets in life are few to this method of thinking. I find myself not regreting much, and when I do regret something I always try to find the best from it. Which is either learning from that mistake or taking my frustation out on something more productive.

This is very weird, cause if you were to of asked anyone I know about 3 months ago, they would of told you that I am was on the of biggest petsimitic (sp) ever.... But now due to certain things I am trying to look at life in a different way. I realized that too much time is being wasted at looking at the glass half empty, rather than finding it half full. I find myself now thinking that If I live life in each moment, making the most of everything, that I'll have no regrets.

For If you love to fullest extent even in times of great sorrow and despair, that truely shows the measure of one's heart.

There's my stupid little advice for the da future for all ya lil youngins out there!