OtakuBoards

Christian music

terra

Heh ... I'm not sure why I, of all people, am starting a thread on this, but the idea came to me, so why not.

Does anyone particularly like any Christian bands or songs they feel like talking about? I'm not a Christian anymore, but I still have a ton of music from when I was. Since much of it is on my playlist and I'm always on random play, sometimes it'll come up and I'll hum or sing along, simply because the songs are so catchy that even though I don't believe in their message anymore, I can't help it. :p

The song that actually prompted me to start this thread was "Testify to Love" by Avalon, which is just like ... a classic Christian song, I think. I love the combination of guys' and girls' voices in any song, and this one is just ... really well-done, somehow. Another one along the same lines is "Send Out a Prayer" by Anointed.

It's also interesting to me that recently "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me for some reason has been playing on pop stations. It'll come on after, you know, "Thong Song" or something. And, people like it. I never really have seen the delineation between Christian music and other music aside from the general message, but ... still didn't expect that to happen.

(Yeah. So, as is obvious from the thread title/forum, this is only for a discussion on the music. So not the merits or faults of the religion, as much as possible. :p Hm, I appear to be opening a can of worms of some sort ... so I apologize in advance if this gets out of hand.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]I'm not a Christian anymore... [/B][/QUOTE]

Why not?

The Bible say's that once you're a true christian you can never un-do it. So, either you still are or never were in the first place. This is a little off-topic but I was really interested in your comment so maybe you can PM me and we can discuss it, plus I would love to meet more people.

Anyway, back on topic. Christian music...

I've told that to many people, not many believe it heh.

The only Christian band I listen to with any regularity is Plumb. They don't seem to have any official message about it all, but I always see them categorized in that section.

I was listing to this ska band called The Supertones the other day too. I have no idea what they officially refer to themselves as, but they sure had a lot of religious overtones in their music. It was all pretty good, actually.

I'm a Christian but I hate the music. It is so repetive; they say the same thing about 90 times. It is one of the reasons I just go to church on Easter. I like hymes but I hate the Christian rock. It is so annoying I want to like it but I just don't think Rock and Jesus should ever meet.

I don't like modern Christian music...I don't like hymns either. Most of the Christian music I ever head was Spanish and really early in my life. They're like ballads, but like those Cantine ballads, or cabaret-ish. Heh, it's hard to explain, but it was good. It was usually woman who had these real deep husky voices...A famous one was called La Lupe...she was really cool, she would hit ppl with her shoe while performing, but that's besides the point...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OlgaTheDwarf [/i]
The Bible say's that once you're a true christian you can never un-do it. So, either you still are or never were in the first place.[/QUOTE]
Heh, the aforementioned can of worms. It's a long story, if you'd like to hear it, PM or IM me sometime. :p

Anyway, yeah, Plumb is a really good band. I too have never noticed their overall message being overtly Christian, but they are labeled as such. I think the Supertones are labeled Christian as well. My friends who like them are also into these two bands called Relient K and Switchfoot. I don't like Relient K or the Supertones, but Switchfoot has some really good songs.

Christian music may be somewhat repetitive lyric-wise, but I don't think it's any more repetitive than any other genre of music. I mean, pop songs are often just different reincarnations of the same thing: "I love him/her sooooo much, why doesn't he love me?" Lyrics seldom appeal to me, it's more than feel/sound of the music.

[size=1] I hate it how people always say that junk, "Jesus loved U from the beggining," and so on. And do I care? Obviously since I don't believe in Jesus, I obviously don't. Eh.

I have not heard much "Christian" music. P.O.D, 12 Stones...a little of that. That is all. So I don't have much to give to this thread.

P.O.D. is decent, to say the least. Evanesence is also classified as Christian..they are okay, to say the least. I don't like them too much, though.

That's about all the input I have in this thread, anyway.[/size]

I'm in the same situation as Terra..... I'm no longer Christian, but I still have some Christian CDs from a couple of years ago.

At the time, my favorite Christian artists were Rebecca St. James and Avalon. Both are a lot softer and poppier than what I normally listen to, but they're quite good, if you like that particular genre.

~Dagger~

I listen to Christian music, but I mainly listen to some of the harder stuff.

Stuff like Living Sacrifice, Blindside, EDL, Thousand Foot Krutch, and many others. Sure, when I'm in church and with those in my youth group, they usually listen to stuff like Mercy Me and stuff like that. But I try to stay away from bands that just about everyone in the world knows about. Now dont get me wrong, I'm still somewhat of a Mercy Me fan, but I liked them better when only a few of us knew about them. But ever since "I Can Only Imagine", they just became too commercialized to me. Plus I'm not much into that "Praise and Worship" type stuff either. Nor that acoustic mess(which I got tired of a LONG time ago).

Now my favorite band is 38th Parallel. Sure, the only have 1 album(and its been out for almost 2 years), but I can never get tired of it. If you havent heard anything from 38th Parellel, I hgihly recommend gettin some of their stuff. The main tracks I recommend is "Clouded", "Turn The Tides", "Wither", and "You Are My God".

For those of you that said you dont know much about Christian music, here are some bands and other types of artists that I highly recommend.

Blindside (one of the greatest Christian rock bands of all time in my opinion)
Anberlin
Big Dismal (they're somethin like Creed...meh, they're ALOT better then Creed)
EDL
Thousand Foot Krutch(if you like that Rage Against The Machine style of music)
Spoken (same as above)
Pillar
Living Sacrifice(more of a death metal type thing. About like Cradle of Filth or around those lines)
These 5 Down (they're about like KoRn)
Embodyment
3rd Root

And theirs plenty others. You basically just gotta search for em. Half of these bands you're not gonna find their album in stores. Basically just...well, you know what to do. But just go to google, search for Christian Music comparisons and search for your favorite genre and you'll find plenty of bands that are basically equal to the secular ones(like I mentioned for some of em). But yeah, theres a good bit of good stuff out there. They just dont play it on the radio or nothin. Basically gotta find it yourself.

[color=chocolate]Eh meh, I have a few Christian bands that I like. First off, Sonic Flood! I like their version of "Open The Eyes of My Heart Lord". :P Definately my favorite Sonic Flood song. And Supertones. Their version of "Lord I Lift Your Name on High" is pretty cool. It's also my favorite Christian song in general. My friend Jacky says that Double Edge Swords is a really cool Christian rock band. :sob: Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to/see them on that His Night. I had other things I had to do...But she says she'll eventually find a sample of their music for me. That's all I can think of for the moment, but I'll probably think of some more eventually.

-Erin[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] I hate it how people always say that junk, "Jesus loved U from the beggining," and so on. And do I care? Obviously since I don't believe in Jesus, I obviously don't. Eh.

I did'nt mean to offend you or sound like I'm trying to sell you something. But what I'm saying is true. He always has loved you. He still does. Please don'y be offended. I'm not trying to preach to you or anything.

I'm not really a big fan of it but you know if my mom puts some on while we're driving in the car I can toerate it. Of course depends what you mean by "Christian " music. I think that p.o.d. is considered Christian music but I really, really, really love their songs. A lot. Of course if your talking Veggie Tales...I only listen to that when my little cousins are watchin it. *nodds which disrupts the balance in her room and her closet is thrown open by all the clutter covering every quare inch of it and her old backpack falls out with her Madame Blueberry keychain atttached to the zipper* Oh *that* well um you know it was a cute keychain and....*her collection of Veggie Tales tumbles out of the closet* O kay I admit it. When I lived in Germany my mom worked at the church sometimes and the only thing to do was watch Veggie Tales. Ya happy now? Yes well I like the songs on those I guess....

I don't really like the little of it that I have heard. I think the [i]sound[/i] of, for example, the negros singing from 9/11 (*winces* I am sorry. I live in Aus and am very unknowledgeable about this: That is the only example I know...) That souhds nice, i just don't like the theme. Anyways, from the Australian "Hilltop" Christian music I have heard, I don't like it. It is too. Gung-ho. Or something. I don't know.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]"Testify to Love" by Avalon[/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1][i]I'll be your witness in the silences when words are not enough...[/i]

You have no idea how obsessed I was with that song a couple years ago. I loved it so much--all the different parts at the end, weaving in and out--sheer awesomeness, heh.

Five Iron Frenzy is breaking up? I didn't know that, huh. I've only heard a couple of their songs, but it was really fun stuff, heh. I need to find a CD by them. (Dude--were [i]they[/i] the ones with the comb song? Because that song rocks.)

My current personal obsession is the Newsboys. [i]Breakfast in Hell[/i] is a great song. Their best-known song is probably [i]Shine[/i], if anyone's interested.

I also have a Steven Curtis Chapman CD, which has [i]Live Out Loud[/i] on it--probably the reason I bought it, but I like the rest of the songs on there, too. I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with likeing VeggieTales music. Heh. [/SIZE]

[size=1]] I like anything that we do at our church's youth services, which is a lot of HillSong and Vineyard worship stuff.

Some of my favorites are Open the Eyes of my Heart Lord, Lord i lift your name on high,[b] Amazing Love (you are my king)[/b]

the latter of that list of songs is now a really special one for me because last week when I was singing it I was filled with the Holy Spirit. It really couldn't have been anything else, and it was exciting, truly awesome, I have not been the same since, even though it's only been a week, :p

I like a lot of NZ Christian bands like Parachute band, Satellite, and Moped, I also like a lot of stuff like DC Talk.

I'm really open to anything that exalts the name of God [/size]

I remember way back when we used to sing "our God is an awesome God" all the time. That was one great song. and i can't help singing along with "i can only imagine" comes on, even if it is a remake. we have these youth masses where we sing all the newest songs. It is fun. There is guitar and drums and everything!

Hmm, let's see I really like Matt Redman's works- Blessed Be Your Name and Trading My Sorrows comes to mind immediately. I also enjoy Steven Curtis Chapman quite a bit, though I haven't heard anything really recent by him. Why them? I feel they really understand the essence of Christianity in their songs... God's love for us, and their songs are real responses to that love.
And yes, it's VERY encouraging to meet other children of God on the net! :D