OtakuBoards

Sailor Moon

Shy

Today a good friend of mine recomended that i watch Sailor Moon (uncut japanese with subtitles). My problem is simply that, although ive heard its great from some people ive asked, most of the people i know say that all "magical Soldier" type anime is for girls only and that I simply woudnt like it and it would be a waste of money. However i should mention that im preaty open minded and that i do like romance manga.
I know that many of you wont think this is much of a problem but im getting kind of stressed out about this one. In a nutshell should i try sailor moon or forget about it? Any/all responces would be appreciate it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Sailor Moon uncut in Japanese and if you are going to watch it, that's the only way to go as the English version is majorly edited. As for magical soldier type anime only being for girls, I disagree. Although it may have been primarly targeted to a girl audience plenty of guys I know like the series as well. Sailor Moon is cute, funny and does have a touch of romance. If possiable see if your friend could loan you their copy to watch, that way you can see if you like it before you buy it.

There is a world of difference between the dub and the sub. If you love magical girl anime, you can't afford to pass up on the Japanese version of Sailor Moon.

That having been said, the first two seasons (released by ADV) are now out of print and can be difficult to track down. Moreover, the audio quality is absolutely atrocious, although this will bother some people less than others. If you can borrow Sailor Moon & Sailor Moon R from a friend, then I think you should definitely watch give the series a shot... but finding the OOP season sets at a reasonable price may not be worth the hassle.

As a possible alternative, you might want to try [b]Pretear[/b], a thirteen episode series which belongs to the same genre as Sailor Moon. It's charming, romantic and has almost no filler.

~Dagger~

I remember back in the day when Sailor moon was around. My sisters used to watch in then i got into it. It was pretty good. It was the gateway that lead me into anime.
Im planning on ordering the series in the uncut version to see what thats like.
Sailor Moon first reminded me of a comic book, but it was pretty addictive at first, but when CN started Gundam Wing, I was off.

I finally found someone is selling their sailor moon box sets. However, Ive just been told by my parents that Im too old for something like sailor moon (1m 16 next month)despite my efforts to tell them its the uncut version. Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can convince them to change their minds?

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=2]Awww that's cool Salior Moon was the first offical anime I ever watched, it was really cool to watched I would wait for the show to start on Tv all day long also I liked Salior Jupiter alot. :animedepr [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[quote name='shinji172']Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can convince them to change their minds?[/quote]

Explain to them the meaning of censorship.
Show them the relationship between Haruka and Michiru, and how the television version pretended they were cousins.
Show them the depth of the story *coughcough* and the deeper meanings behind the symbolism and classical story telling.

If that doesn't work, get some Sailor Moon hentai and pretend it's official. XP

-ArV

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Ah sailor moon! Man I remember that show clearly...I came out when I was in 3rd grade...I believe 1992....somewhere close to that. I loved that show and still do..I remember Sarena or Usagi was my favorite character. Why? Well she was the main star and got all the men. But as I grew I became aware of her stupidty and why always me scenario. Plus she wasn't the original character...sailor venus was. Usagi was a cheap imitation of venus... :animeangr My favorite character was Ray...I think I mispelled it wrong. She was fire baby. I just loved it when she tried to get with Darien a.k.a Prince edym...whatever...never could spell that right. I won't give spoilers, plus I own every movie ever to come out in America and seen all the almost all the episodes (Not as obsessed as I use to be V.V)[/COLOR]

[size=1]I love that show! I remembered when they played it in the afternoons right after I got home from school. I also have the manga, and two of the scout guides. ^_^ I was always just like Sailor Jupiter. And I have two of the three movies. Of the manga, I have one through three of the first series, and then one of the... third series? And Naoko actually FINISHED the series!

As a SM fan, prepare for a rant.[/size]

[color=darkviolet]Actually, I'm glad that the show is finally off the air. The dub was so bad I found episode summaries and voiced over the actreses myself. Plus after a while the entire series became redundant. The minor exception was what the villains were doing.

Yes, I liked SailorMoon, but I can get along without it if I have to... *hides Sailor Senshi coin bank, Sailor Venus Plushy, Sailor Jupiter doll, 2nd season and drawings*[/color]

• 1 month later...
1) favorite character?
Seiya

2)favorite season?
season 5

3) least favorite character?
Darrien

4) Least favorite season?
season 1 only because it was wrecked as it was all cut up and stuff.

5) Do you hate DIC and Cartoon Network for dubbing the show?
Not really, i like the english voices, though Serena can be abit annoying to begin with. I just don't like the way they cut everything. *sobs*

6) Have you seen the fifth season yet?
Yep, part of it, and it is soooo amazing.

1) favorite character?
Rei

2)favorite season?
Sailor Moon R

Chibi-usagi

Sailor Moon SuperS

The dubbing in my country was very good.

Nope and to tell the truth i have no desire to watch it either...

1. Minako. Rei's a close second, though.

2. S

3. Chibiusa, by far. I wanna kill Tuxedo Mask too.

4. I didn't hate any of them...

5. From what I remember, yeah. Didn't Ami have a Chicago accent? Doesn't fit the character at all.

6. No, unfortunately...

[color=darkviolet]Thank you Gywna for these questions.

1) favorite character?
Meioh Setsuna and Kino Makoto (AKA SailorPluto and SailorJupiter)

2)favorite season?
Sailor Stars- Mamo baka and ChibiUseless go bye bye. Chibi Chibi and Seiya are there. And SailorMoon Super because Neptune Uranus and Pluto. SuperS was only paletable because of the Amazoness Quartet

Chibi Usa and Mamo dork

Sailor Moon SuperS- Why was Chibi given her own season?

5) Do you hate DiC and Cartoon Network for dubbing the show?
Well, DiC just sucks period. Cartoon Network had nothing to do with the dubbing because I also watched SailorMoon on Fox 59 a Syracuse station.I hate DiC and CWi for their crappy dubbing and inconsistancy with the dubbing. In one of the final SailorMoon S episodes staring Tellu the Tellurin was given 3 different names: Heart Snatching Plant Tellurin and one name I can't remember.

Yes all but episode 199. How can you not want to see the final season? Everything is finally explained then!

[b]I'm adding a few of my own:[/b]

7.) What is your favorite episode from each season?
1st season- The Four way romance because Makoto chokes Mamoru and there is an abundance of Super deformed chibis!

2nd season- The one about the babies When the baby pees on Natsumi And the final episode in R when there's a bunch of recaps and the girls argue about who gets to be leader

3rd season- The Cruel Uranus Makoto no pinch- because Makoto is the star of the episode

4th season- The one with the dentist because ChibiUsa and Usago get cavities (it's originally from a manga special edition) Probably because Palla Palla tells Tuxedo Kamen-"Palla Palla doesn't like you so you have to die."

5th season- The one where SailorAluminum Siren and SailorLead crow come to Usagi's house. Eternal SailorMoon's wings break stuff and Sailors Uranus and Neptune do their poses on the table causing Siren and Crow to comment. There's also the whole ChibiChibi remark -Erotic aren't you?

8.) Who is your favorite villian?- JunJun and PallaPalla from SuperS and Mnemosyne from Stars (but she was only in the manga) [/color]

• 4 weeks later...
1) favorite character?
sailor mars

2)favorite season?
none

none

none

no i think it was a good idea

no

:catgirl: :catgirl:

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I just wanted to mention the horror of what could have been. BEHOLD... THE ABOMINATION...

[url=http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/01.06/feature/2/index.php3][color=red]SABAN MOON![/color][/url]

Just be happy that Dic got it, and not these losers.

• 4 months later...
okay this is about Sailor Moon and u know how Serena (aka Usagi) and Darien (aka Mamoru) r paired up?????? well i was looking at some random info and found out that Serena was 14 and Darien was 18 ( i always thought Serena was at least 16 :animeswea , oh well) personally i think the difference in age is kinda weird for them to be paired up.
tell me what u think