OtakuBoards

Sailor Moon

Shy

[quote name='SadClown']Just incase anyone wanted to know, the Seiyuu who did Seiya's voice passed away a few years ago from Leukemia...kinda sad...[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I'd heard of that happening a few years ago. Her name was Niiyama Shiho and she passed away in July of 2000.

I also heard that the seiyuu for Prince Dimando from BSSMR passed away at the age of forty from cancer a few years ago as well. That's quite depressing.

as for things on a brighter note-All the inner senshi aside from SailorVenus/Aino Minako have names that are puns. The reason that Minako's name doesn't fit the kanji for venus (gold star) is because she was created prior to the rest of the senshi.

Also, I heard that Keiko Han who did the voice of Luna and Queen Beryl in the anime sailor moon is doing the voice of the stuffed Luna in the live action series. :wigout: I don't know about you but I don't think I'd really want to do the voice of a stuffed cat. :laugh:

Strange stuff about me: I once went to school cos-playing as Kino Makoto (kind of) I had my hair like hers, the green contacts, rose earrings and then jeans and a sweater. It was kind of fun. :D [/color]

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='King Vicious 2']:flaming: Sailor is pure beauty[/quote][color=#503f86]King Vicious 2, please put more efforts into your posts. You haven't even specified which Sailor is 'pure beauty', and that isn't the point of the thread in the first place- it's for discussing Sailor Moon as a whole rather than a favourite character alone. Your post was deleted because it was so short and there was no decent discussion in it. The [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]Rules[/url] are waiting for you.

I never thought I'd be posting in a Sailor Moon thread...[/color]

Guest got_Goku15
My fav is Sailor Moon, because she is funny,pretty,a great friend,a great girlfriend,and a great sailor scout.
Some times we (Drew&I) whould act like we were two of the sailor scouts.
I whould be Sailor Moon and he whould be Sailor Mars.
Thows were the fun days,but now were teens and its hard to play it with him now.
Hes got a girlfriend.
How stuped am I for talking like this,its just stuped talk. :rolleyes:

I really liked sailor moon, but i've never seen the whole series or any of the films. it hasnt been shown in england for about 6years and the dvds you can get are only the episodes with queen beryl which i've seen. :( it not fair!! :bawl:

[QUOTE=got_Goku15]Ya,I only have one VHS and one DVD.
I wish I had more. :([/QUOTE][COLOR=#503F86]That's as well as may be, but please put more detail into your posts. Which bits do you want to see, for example? How much have you seen already.

Please try and work on your spelling and grammar as well. Your post previous to this one was quite hard to make out, despite having more substance than the rest.[/COLOR]

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the English Dub, it was the dub that introduced me to Sailor Moon and began my love of the show. Sure, I can't stand some of the changes they made, but hey, what can you do.

Anyways, I've been a fan of this show since day one. I didn't care for that whole "Sailor Moon says" crap they added, but the storylines were pretty awesome. I loved the final half of Sailor Moon R. Wiseman will always be my favorite villain, so dark, mysterious and above all, a manipulative SOB. I didn't care for the Wicked Lady arc but the way Wiseman cut through the Dark Moon family was just pure evil.

Hopefully, now that the show, in its entirety, is coming to DVD, I'll have to save up to get it all. They better not skimp out on SailorStars and not bring it.

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Chibi Devil Me']I know what Omar Harris means. So many people, regardless of others, have a hate towards the dubbed Sailor Moon. I also was introduced to Sailor Moon that way and I don't understand what they have against the dubbed.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I feel quite the opposite. The dub (at least the north american dub, which was also shown ini England and Australia) completely screwed up the entire storyline plus they removed many traces of Japanese culture and didn't translate anything correctly.

Oh and they gave out sex changes to two of the characters (Zoicite and FishEye) so they didn't have any negative homosexual characters. Then they made Haruka and Michiru's normal relationship into some kind of twisted cousin thing. (Okay, maybe some people don't consider homosexuality normal, but it's normal to homosexuals)

Yes the dub brought Sailor Moon to the English speaking populace, but look at what they did to it.

And no they won't bring Stars over or even release it in the US on subtitled DVDs becuase of all the lovely sex changing that happens when the Sailor Star Lights do their transformation.

My advice to people who don't know why some people don't like the dub, buy one of the DVDs that's billingual. watch the dubbed then watch the subbed and tell me what you think. (C'mon CWi tried to pass off Amara as a boy's name in an episode of SMS) And don't even get me started on name changes![/color]

All right... I get it. But still. That's not fair to people who watched the dubbed. Some people can get offended by that. And I mean Offended. I know some people like that. That is what caused the so-called "War" over the dub. We know they changed it. That's also know as "Widening the Horizens", too.

Guest Minaru
I have! they're names are Seiya, Yaten, and Tiakie Ko. Ko is all three's last names. i find it funny that their human forms are male when they really are female!!! :laugh: It is not right for them to be in love with Usagi, Rei, Ami, Minako, Lita-chan!!!! trust me! I know!!!

Guest NaturalBlue
I love Sailor Moon. I've been watching it since I was 12 years old. And I am lucky enough to have seen the last season. Which in america is really hard to find. Serena/Usagi has to be my favorite. I think that she's pretty and gives a lot for her friends and the people of the earth. Even though she's annoying and loud, she has a good heart. Darien/Mamoru is my second favorite. Let's all face it! He's a hunk. I think that I'm in love with him! Ha ha. Out of all the anime's I've seen. Sailor Moon is my favorite and always will be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yami_nocturna
I <3 Sailor Moon.
MWHAHA
I remember that I started a local fanclub for Sailor Moon fanatics.
LOL, we had limite spots why, probably because each person got a Sailor Senshi identity lol.
I was Usagi. LMAO. I do hate thought how anime makes her look, I prefer the manga. And Mamoru is cuter there too.
While I despise anime Mamoru, I love the manga MAmoru.
^_^
I still am a major fan of Sailor Moon.

[quote name='Omar Harris'] I didn't care for that whole "Sailor Moon says" crap they added.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Did anyone besides me notice in the Sailor Says segments at the end of the episodes contained some deleted scenes from that day's episode? Take for example the Episode where Serena wants to try and be in that talent show that
the *cringe* Negaverse *cringe* gets a hold of. There's a part in there where Melvin was handing out streamers to celebrate him and Molly ( you know I'm going to scald my hands for typing dub names after this post) being in the show. Everyone throws them and then they cut to the next scene. Well, in the original Umino (melvin) gets hit in the face with one of the streamers. I guess DiC thought that the sight of someone being hit in the face was too graphic so they cut it out, but in that Sailor Says part at the end, they show the deleted scene with the streamer.

There was also a part in there where Usagi ran into the men's room, but I've seen the original and I can't see where you can tell if it's the men's room or not.

The DiC version had deleted scenes in the opening as well. They didn't show the opening credits on Cartoon Network, but one of the Syracuse stations aired SailorMoon after DBZ when I was in college and I saw clips of the dead senshi before the beginning of Day Of Destiny (or whatever it was called) Yet they didn't show that in the regular episode because it was too disturbing.[/color]

[quote name='Omar Harris'] Hopefully, now that the show, in its entirety, is coming to DVD, I'll have to save up to get it all. They better not skimp out on SailorStars and not bring it.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Last thing's first. I already stated in my other reply that they won't bring Stars over (and if they do I'll eat my DVD player) because in the anime the Sailor Star Lights change from men into women. OF course they some how managed to release the last season in Germany and Italy by saying that the Sailor Star Lights were the Three Lights sisters or something. But don't count on North America getting the final season (or atleast the US)

As for the first two seasons, I have both sets. And there are some pros and cons to the DVDs.

[b]Cons:[/b]

For some reason they didn't release episode 67 onto the box set, Where Rei goes to some island and they find some dinosaur or whatever

When Sailor Moon does Moon Sceptor Helation the subtitle says Moon Princess Elimination even though you can hear her plain as day.

The second season is about $20.00 more than the first go figure

Despite the cost there are no extras except that on one or two of the discs in both seasons you can get previews of the other anime that the company releases.

The translation to the opening song is very different from what I've seen on the Pioneer DVDs for the third and fourth season .

The translation to Otomo Policy (maiden's policy) seems off as well.

The DVDs aren't Bilingual

THey don't have the opening or closing previews like the show and pioneer had

[b]Pros:[/b]

The first season includes every episode released for that season.

THere are no deleated scenes

You can see if the company has other anime you'd like to watch.

Statisticaly speaking don't buy the Box sets unless you're a die hard Sailor MOon fan who will watch them more that three times in a month.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Suika
Just to inform you, SAILOR MOON IS AWSOME!!!!!!! :D I'm sorry I got carried away, I just really love Sailor Moon. :rolleyes: When I RPG I play as Sailor Mercury, or a character I made up myself, Sailor Aiedail. :)

Carried away? That was pretty short a post.

I too like Sailor Moon. It was one of the first anime I've ever seen. I, fortunately for my unburnt hands, am not as die-hard as ChibiHorsewoman-san. (As you can tell by her lovely name :))

Though, recently I've been getting into Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, or Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Same name, translated titles) Live Action version. I think the characters are really cute as well as the actresses. I was wondering if anybody else liked this series?

Compared to the other Moon series, including Stars, I find it more entertaining to watch. I find the characters have more depth and relatability. It might just be because they're people.

*drools* And Hama Chisaki is the perfect Mercury.

-ArV

[quote name='r2vq']...recently I've been getting into Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, or Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Same name, translated titles) Live Action version. I think the characters are really cute as well as the actresses. I was wondering if anybody else liked this series?[/quote]The live action show got a little love somewhere back in this thread. I've been all over it since it started airing.
[QUOTE=r2vq]
Compared to the other Moon series, including Stars, I find it more entertaining to watch. I find the characters have more depth and relatability. It might just be because they're people.[/QUOTE]I like the cast a lot. They have really grown into their parts, and they work together well. Even the villains have managed to project themselves into admittedly limited roles.

I am not sure how I would rate one over the other. The anime's fight scenes are weaker but the new show has some really awkward moments involving cheap props or unconvincing action. And neither quite pulls off the feeling of the manga.

[QUOTE=r2vq]
*drools* And Hama Chisaki is the perfect Mercury.[/QUOTE]*wipes off sig* IYA DA!!!

Hey Densuke

I agree with you on all parts. The fight scenes in the Anime (most of them at least) were pretty repetitive, almost to the point of tedium. As I watched the dub (ow, my fricken ears!) I was entertained only as long as my patience and/or boredom for the day lasted. Don't get my wrong, I liked the show. I just found it a wee bit boring and repetitive.
As I watched a sub of Stars, I was impressed, but only for the first Volume or two. It quickly developed into a similar (undeniably better, but similar) theme and style.

The live action version has drawn me in through it's characters and their lives. It's not so much a fight for the crystal but a story of friends who rescue peo~ okay well, it's a good story with the fighting as a sideline. :)

BTW, Densuke, I'm watching Episode 20 right now. That's where your signature is from no? :)

EDIT: Okay, so I was one or two episodes off. :-\ But I'm soon!

-ArV

[quote name='r2vq']...I'm watching Episode 20 right now. That's where your signature is from no?[/quote]I can't say exactly which episode - it's been awhile since I made it up.

The new series definitely has a TON of fans - I see 8,000 or so downloads over at TV-Nihon for each of the latest episodes.

If you have read at least two of my posts you probably know that I used to like, but now despise sailor moon, and the "Power of Love" endings sickened me. I know they were trying to give a good positive message, but I think they went a little much on the love thing. But really what I would like to know is: What exactly did the Americans to the series to make it so bad? I hear they changed it a lot, I just want to know what sailor Moon was really about before the american translations and changes. If someone could tell me that would be great.

[quote name='Davethestampede']If you have read at least two of my posts you probably know that I used to like, but now despise sailor moon, and the "Power of Love" endings sickened me. I know they were trying to give a good positive message, but I think they went a little much on the love thing. But really what I would like to know is: What exactly did the Americans to the series to make it so bad? I hear they changed it a lot, I just want to know what sailor Moon was really about before the american translations and changes. If someone could tell me that would be great.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Everyone is going to wish I'd never seen this post by the time I'm done replying to it, but too bad I have to act. :devil:

Let's just get started with the inner senshi and how Minako's whole past was wiped out because of an episode they never aired in the united states.

In the original Rei and Usagi do go at eachother through the entire season, but Rei is quite a bit nicer to Usagi and you can tell that she thinks of Usagi as one of her close friends because she doesn't add an honorfic to the end of Usagi's name. Yes, she hits her too (they edit all the slapping out in the dub. Except in the opening of the episode where mamoru gets taken to Beryl Stupid editor)

The dub made everyone hate Raye for being mean to Serena . Nobody ever got really in depth with their friendship. Case in point the episode where the inners are pretending to go against Moon in order to trick the Dark Kingdom (I will never say Nega verse) [spoiler]There's that part near the end of the episode where Moon is being strangled and Mars says to wait, but Jupiter slaps her and accuses her of really hating Usagi. Mars asks 'if I hated her so much would I keep something like this for her?' then holds up the Crescent Moon wand and explains that Usagi asked he to hold onto it.[/spoiler] In the dub Mars says that Serena left it at her place.

Changing the names took away the all the little puns from the inners names and why it's funny that Usagi/Serena doesn't like carrots. I don't know why some dubbing companies have this sudden urge to change characters names sometimes. Even worse DiC ruined the mythology behind Serenity and Endymion by having Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion become Princess Serena and Prince Darien. I don't know why they did that maybe kids wouldn't understand

Without the missing episoide Minako comes off as a ditz and you never get the whole idea of why she came to Japan so late. She suddenly has no background and no depth of character because of the missing episode.

The attacks were changed and DiC after having the first episode with Raye/Rei using her ofuda prior to finding out that she's Sailor Mars suddenly turns the Aku ryo tai san (evil spirits disperse/begon) to Mars fireballs charge. I don't know why they had to change the wording of the attacks. It's not like they could have messed up translations since the seiyuus did the attacks in english.

DiC changed Zoisite into a girl because he was an evil guy in love with another guy. I think it was just because he was gay and not because DiC was afraid of showing evil gay people.

More later[/color]

Wow. How true that is!

It's funny to think that a guy can get married to the ugliest chick on the planet and yet still can't marry a hot(*shudders*) cross-dresser(bad drunk story).

One thing that I remember when I was growing up is that Saior Moon was on before school. I saw all of them. Of course my friend now buys the uncut versions. Stupid pervert.

Sorry to go off topic, but I found an AMV of Sailor Moon called 'The Blossom's Lament', and it was for Sailor Moon R: The Movie. It revolved around the love triangle between Usagi, Fiore, and Mamoru (Roses as weapens, and no, that was not a translation, he used roses as weapons), and it was so touching that it made me cry...has anyone else seen it?