OtakuBoards

Are Humans Monsters?

Gentle

Oh yes, what a stupid question to ask. But what if we really are. There might be other living being that we think are monsters but they think the same of us. I first thought about this in a dream I had last night. It might happen to us and we wouldn't remember a thing about it. It could happen in a few hours or while we're sleep and when we wake up, it could just be a dream to us. This isn't the first time I had this dream though. The last time it was me and my brother that changed. I was young when I had it so I would run down the hall in fear that something might jump out at me.

[I]Dream Sequence[/I]
Everyone was at our house and then my mom came up the driveway coming home from work. The weird thing was she was wakling. Her face and hands looked like the thing from [I]The Haunted Mask[/I] and it scared everyone out the house. I wanted to go grab my stuff too and then go out my room window and my brother kept trying to stop me. He said that I knew what it was and that it happened to us before. It was in our blood to become monsters at some point in time. Then the scene switched to the porch outside the house. Our mom came up on the porch and looked at us then walked into the house. I followed her in and she was in my room on the bed with her face covered. When she looked up at me again, she was back to normal. I smiled and hugged her, then I woke up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]I have had similar thoughts as well Gentle.. My thoughts are: "What if human beings have something inside of them, locked up, waiting to be released? And what if someone discovered how to tap in to this "Something" inside of them? What would be the result of it?" ... This "Something" could be psychic abilities, increased strength, a inner Demon or: "Monster", there are so many possibilities.. I believe some people know how to tap into this Something inside of them.. It's all very fascinating, to think of all the possibilities..[/size]

[size=1] Yes, humans are such stupid atrocities. I'm just lamenting being one. We're just monsters.

Look at all we've done. We've burned large forests, built a Big Boy where there once was so many animals, not to mention McDonald's shoots cows and gives them drugs. What are we coming to ?

The only good thing in this world is God. We're sheep. We live to die for God and to do nothing. We're such monsters. We've taken this habitable planet and marred it and feralized it to where it doesn't even look like what it used to look like in all its glory.

I mean we eat fake pieces of bread to cure our sins, and drink fake wine to get a buzz and feel more intune with God. We're such monsters. We've taken what nature gave us and made it into a circus where we're the elephants eating all the peanuts. How could we do this? Oh my God. How? Jesus Christ Bananas Yellow Fatty Beans.

We should just kill all ourselves. We're such monsters.[/size]

I've felt this way since I was 9 I am not a big fan of humanity. Yes I may be human I think but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

[quote]Look at all we've done. We've burned large forests, built a Big Boy where there once was so many animals, not to mention McDonald's shoots cows and gives them drugs. What are we coming to ?[/quote]

Sadly that is to true. All we do is take what nature has to give us and ruin it. Sometimes I wish we could go back to when the world was full of forests and less buildings and roads.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] Yes, humans are such stupid atrocities. I'm just lamenting being one. We're just monsters.

Look at all we've done. We've burned large forests, built a Big Boy where there once was so many animals, not to mention McDonald's shoots cows and gives them drugs. What are we coming to ?

The only good thing in this world is God. We're sheep. We live to die for God and to do nothing. We're such monsters. We've taken this habitable planet and marred it and feralized it to where it doesn't even look like what it used to look like in all its glory.

I mean we eat fake pieces of bread to cure our sins, and drink fake wine to get a buzz and feel more intune with God. We're such monsters. We've taken what nature gave us and made it into a circus where we're the elephants eating all the peanuts. How could we do this? Oh my God. How? Jesus Christ Bananas Yellow Fatty Beans.

We should just kill all ourselves. We're such monsters.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]My thoughts exactly, except you forgot genocide, pollution, descrimination against our own species, using oceans full of life for nuclear and atomic testing, slaughtering animals for no reason... Oh dear. I said animals. Humans are animals too. We have no right to call ourselves any different. That's all we are. Big, vicious, oblivious mammals, that think we aren't even animals. Back to the list, tearing down forest to make yards look "better," testing things first on animals, oh I could go on for hours, but I don't believe that posts can be that long. Anyway, on the end of the list is the nuclear holocaust that I'm almost posotive is going to happen.

How dare we do such things? I am also no big fan of humanity, but I believe that God will choose when our time is up.

Another thing is, we are a danger to the universe. If we get off this planet, on to other ones, we could do the same thing. Oh, and say there is life on another planet. We would probably make them slaves, or put them in zoo.

And yes, we are all like sheep. Unfortunately, we stray too often.[/font]

From dictionary.com:

mon·ster ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mnstr)
n.

An imaginary or legendary creature, such as a centaur or Harpy, that combines parts from various animal or human forms.
A creature having a strange or frightening appearance.
An animal, a plant, or other organism having structural defects or deformities.
Pathology. A fetus or an infant that is grotesquely abnormal and usually not viable.
A very large animal, plant, or object.
One who inspires horror or disgust: a monster of selfishness.

I'd say that means no. An *individual* can be a monster, but you will never convince me that the entire race is a bunch of monsters.

As I've so often said, humans aren't basically evil; they're basically stupid.

Quite well put, DeathBug. Of course humans aren't pure evil, but then again, what is? We have some hope if we pull our act together. But, if we don't, I believe there will be a war, in which humans resort to nuclear weapons, leading to a nuclear holocaust. Joyful, eh? Then again, according to my science teacher, in the past, every single creature on earth so far has gone extinct, and according to scientific theory, so will we. Well actually not scientific theory, it's more inferential. I know we have all this technology, but as my teacher put it, if a giant meteor was heading towards earth, by the time you could see it will your naked eye, in one second we'd be gone. Heh, I seem to have gone off topic. Oh well, don't mind that part then.

It depends on how you define the word "monster". If you are talking about physical apperance, what do you expect a monster to look like? There's really no answer, as we have not claimed a spiecies to be a monster yet. But, on the other hand, we have defined a monster's attitude or actions. They are mostly mean and destructive, right? Well, what is it that humans are doing to the earth? We sure as heck aren't saving or respecting it, now are we? No, not the people who have the power to destroy it. Though, why is it that the little people, the ones who don't have the power to destroy an entire rainforest, are the ones who make the best decissions? This is where greed enters this sad story. People want money. But, what would happen if we took money away, many people ask. I have an answer now, if we took away the money, there would be something else people would want. Many of you who post next will disagree with me saying that the people who run polluting companies or who tear down forests are doing it to keep their family welfare high and to provide wood for our needs. But, we have more wood than we know what to do with, so why not get a different job? It would keep the earth nicer for the up coming generations, and it sure wouldn't hurt our generation.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] Do people around here understand sarcasm...?
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
No.
Anyway humans are monsters, but we're at the top of the monster list. Right under the divine creatures known as platypuses.

Human beings are monsters, mean-spirited, evil, chaotic little creatures. How else could Dubya have been elected?

I'm not a defeatist, but I really don't see how ANYONE can say the human race is loveable, or nice, or fun, or peaceful, or...any other positive adjective to use here.

The only thing that separates us from the apes is not our mind. The only thing that separates us from the apes is we have our finger on the button.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]Human beings are monsters, mean-spirited, evil, chaotic little creatures. How else could Dubya have been elected?

I'm not a defeatist, but I really don't see how ANYONE can say the human race is loveable, or nice, or fun, or peaceful, or...any other positive adjective to use here.

The only thing that separates us from the apes is not our mind. The only thing that separates us from the apes is we have our finger on the button. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cry me a river. You say all this, but do you say *anything* to support your claim?

I'm not claiming that the human race is perfect, but compared to everything else on this planet, we're pretty awesome.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B]Cry me a river. You say all this, but do you say *anything* to support your claim?

I'm not claiming that the human race is perfect, but compared to everything else on this planet, we're pretty awesome. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL. You should know I don't ***** and moan. And did you really want evidence to support my claim of the human race being monsters? Do you read the ******* paper? Do you watch the news? I say, YOU are misinformed. YOU have your head in the sand. You are the definition of naive, if you REQUIRE someone to provide evidence of something as frigging obvious as the human race being corrupt. You are an idiot. No offence, of course, but you are an idiot.

And comparing us to everything else on this planet, explain how we're pretty awesome, because "You say all this, but do you say *anything* to support your claim?"

Hm?

Braindead. We should send you to the Australian outback.

[B]LOL. You should know I don't ***** and moan. And did you really want evidence to support my claim of the human race being monsters? Do you read the ******* paper? Do you watch the news? I say, YOU are misinformed. YOU have your head in the sand. You are the definition of naive, if you REQUIRE someone to provide evidence of something as frigging obvious as the human race being corrupt. You are an idiot. No offence, of course, but you are an idiot.

And comparing us to everything else on this planet, explain how we're pretty awesome, because "You say all this, but do you say *anything* to support your claim?"

Hm?

Braindead. We should send you to the Australian outback. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am well aware of the atrocities that people can commit. Are you aware that the people you read about in the news consist of less than five percent of the population?

Can people be monsters? Sure. But to write of the entire species because of the actions of a relative few is laughable.

According to your logic, because the sun can cause sunburns, we'd be better off without it.

Human beings aren't monsters because they can ask questions like "are we monsters?" They can examine their own actions, decide if they are being harmful, and rectify the situation. No other creature on Earth can do that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B]I am well aware of the atrocities that people can commit. Are you aware that the people you read about in the news consist of less than five percent of the population?

Can people be monsters? Sure. But to write of the entire species because of the actions of a relative few is laughable.

According to your logic, because the sun can cause sunburns, we'd be better off without it.

Human beings aren't monsters because they can ask questions like "are we monsters?" They can examine their own actions, decide if they are being harmful, and rectify the situation. No other creature on Earth can do that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Regarding the news, explain then, why every time we turn on MSNBC, or FoxNews, or CNN, or pick up the Philly Inquirer, it's violence violence violence? I am well aware that hate sells, but in light of the world today, the violent to peaceful ratio is more like 80% to 20%. The monsters outnumber the good, I'm afraid. Too bad for you.

Hm. Writing off the entire species. So, you then accuse me of a generalization. What are you doing? Saying that the few do not influence the general scope of society? Saying that the few do not influence the flow of humanity? Are you nuts? Hitler. Stalin. Hussein. Bin Laden. Jefferson. Franklin. Martin Luther. Marx. Yeah, I'm sure those few aren't doing anything to change society.

About my logic, how in the hell did you figure that? Now I know you're an idiot. No doubt about it. Nowhere in my post did I say if one causes anguish, we'd be better off without them. Take a look. Here, I'll copy and paste them.

[quote]LOL. You should know I don't ***** and moan. And did you really want evidence to support my claim of the human race being monsters? Do you read the ******* paper? Do you watch the news? I say, YOU are misinformed. YOU have your head in the sand. You are the definition of naive, if you REQUIRE someone to provide evidence of something as frigging obvious as the human race being corrupt. You are an idiot. No offence, of course, but you are an idiot.

Hm?

Braindead. We should send you to the Australian outback.[/quote]

[quote]Human beings are monsters, mean-spirited, evil, chaotic little creatures. How else could Dubya have been elected?

The only thing that separates us from the apes is not our mind. The only thing that separates us from the apes is we have our finger on the button.[/quote]

I am going to say again; you are an idiot with absolutely horrid interpretive skills. You would have to be the dumbest waste of space to use that analogy. Hmph. Sunburns. You idiot. Do you have any comprehension in that skull? Do you have any brain matter in that skull?

OK. Rectifying the situation. We really corrected Afghanistan. We really corrected Iraq. We really corrected Germany. We really corrected the Former Soviet Union. We really corrected rape, violence, kidnapping, arson, murder, theft. Wow, we rectified SO MUCH! OMG. We really corrected social dysfunction. We really corrected political turmoil. We really corrected...do you get my point finally? We haven't corrected or rectified anything. Thinking that humans can examine themselves and change, fix situations, is noble, but horribly uneducated.

You are Yellowflames2. You are Natalie.

[B]LOL. You should know I don't ***** and moan. And did you really want evidence to support my claim of the human race being monsters? Do you read the ******* paper? Do you watch the news? [/B][/QUOTE]
see, the thing about what you said there is that they only have bad things on the news...they dont say "at ten, we will show how littly susy saved a kitten from being run over by a car" or "look at how billy saved his allowence for years and built a good homeless shelter...."
yes, i agree, MOST of the human race can/are monsters (child molesters, rapists, hitler), but, not every single person that is human is a monster. you cant make such huge generalizations like that and still be reasonable. to do somthing like that,you need to know [I]every single person on the planet[/I], and you dont.....
i dont mean to critisize you, but think about that, ok?
:)

Regarding the news, explain then, why every time we turn on MSNBC, or FoxNews, or CNN, or pick up the Philly Inquirer, it's violence violence violence? I am well aware that hate sells, but in light of the world today, the violent to peaceful ratio is more like 80% to 20%. The monsters outnumber the good, I'm afraid. Too bad for you.[/QUOTE]

Too bad for me? If the monsters outnumbered the good, I'd think it would be too bad for the entire planet. Of course the news media only reports violence. "No news is good news". You lack perspective.

[QUOTE]Hm. Writing off the entire species. So, you then accuse me of a generalization. What are you doing? Saying that the few do not influence the general scope of society? Saying that the few do not influence the flow of humanity? Are you nuts? Hitler. Stalin. Hussein. Bin Laden. Jefferson. Franklin. Martin Luther. Marx. Yeah, I'm sure those few aren't doing anything to change society.[/QUOTE]

I did not say that the few do not influence; I said that the few do not [b]represent[/b].

[QUOTE]About my logic, how in the hell did you figure that? Now I know you're an idiot. No doubt about it. Nowhere in my post did I say if one causes anguish, we'd be better off without them. Take a look. Here, I'll copy and paste them.[/QUOTE]

Yay; I get to read garbage twice.

[QUOTE]I am going to say again; you are an idiot with absolutely horrid interpretive skills. You would have to be the dumbest waste of space to use that analogy. Hmph. Sunburns. You idiot. Do you have any comprehension in that skull? Do you have any brain matter in that skull?[/QUOTE]

Yes, curse me and my differing opinion! I would have to be some kind of moron to dare think about a situation and come to a seperate conclusion!

Your screen name is quite appropriate if you can't have a healthy debate without resorting to ad homenim. You're only embarassing yourself.

[QUOTE]OK. Rectifying the situation. We really corrected Afghanistan. We really corrected Iraq. We really corrected Germany. We really corrected the Former Soviet Union. We really corrected rape, violence, kidnapping, arson, murder, theft. Wow, we rectified SO MUCH! OMG. We really corrected social dysfunction. We really corrected political turmoil. We really corrected...do you get my point finally?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I get it. You focus entirely on the negative, and assume that the situations you listed are actually in a worse situation than they were before intervention ocurred.

[QUOTE] We haven't corrected or rectified anything. Thinking that humans can examine themselves and change, fix situations, is noble, but horribly uneducated.[/QUOTE]

How is it uneducated? We both know they can. The question is whether or not they will/do.

[QUOTE]You are Yellowflames2. You are Natalie. [/QUOTE]

Okay, right there's where I have to ask what the hell you're talking about.

Guest PhoenixFlame
humans currently arent intelligent enough to be monsters nor people of peace who can be peaceful all the time and get out of every situation....simply put were neither monsters nor superior...but one day animals could evolve to match our current intelligence in several billion years

[size=1][b]Yes, curse me and my differing opinion![/b]

Poisontongue, back off. If you can't carry on a debate without constantly insulting the other party, your attitude is really not welcome here.

Deathbug, yellowflame and natalie are references to PT's signature.

I'm going to leave this open for now, on the off chance that something constructive comes from it.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][size=1][b]Yes, curse me and my differing opinion![/b]

Deathbug, yellowflame and natalie are references to PT's signature.

[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah...I see. My mistake, then; I really don't pay attention to sigs unless they have bright colors. ^^;;

[color=crimson]I have a headache after reading this topic.

Humans are not monsters in the least, really. We aren't perfect Gods or anything, but we do a deal of good along with the bad. It just takes time for us to react to problems that are on a global, or even national, scale. For example, alot of people are becoming environmentally aware in recent decades- not from a tree telling them about the air pollution, or a crab pointing out littering on the beach. It is from other humans paying attention, noticing that the world could use some healing- and acting on that. It takes 'good' people to put a 'good' influence on other people.

It is true there are alot of idiots out there. Maybe it isn't their fault for being greedy/stupid/emotionally numb to destroying other people, or maybe it is. I am not one to judge, and honestly no one here is either.

Oh, and the stupid doom-sayers that speak of a nuclear apocalypse need to shut the **** up, lol. I am tired of this melodramatic scenario of a ton of evil leaders pushing the red button and destroying the world with the evil nuclear weapons- it's old now, please get something else to piss your pants over.

In other words, I agree with what was said earlier- individuals can be monsters. It takes time- don't judge the final product when it is being constructed.

I would write more, but I am afraid I would lose my restraint on my temper.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathKnight [/i]
[B][color=crimson]I have a headache after reading this topic.

Humans are not monsters in the least, really. We aren't perfect Gods or anything, but we do a deal of good along with the bad. It just takes time for us to react to problems that are on a global, or even national, scale. For example, alot of people are becoming environmentally aware in recent decades- not from a tree telling them about the air pollution, or a crab pointing out littering on the beach. It is from other humans paying attention, noticing that the world could use some healing- and acting on that. It takes 'good' people to put a 'good' influence on other people.

It is true there are alot of idiots out there. Maybe it isn't their fault for being greedy/stupid/emotionally numb to destroying other people, or maybe it is. I am not one to judge, and honestly no one here is either.

Oh, and the stupid doom-sayers that speak of a nuclear apocalypse need to shut the **** up, lol. I am tired of this melodramatic scenario of a ton of evil leaders pushing the red button and destroying the world with the evil nuclear weapons- it's old now, please get something else to piss your pants over.

In other words, I agree with what was said earlier- individuals can be monsters. It takes time- don't judge the final product when it is being constructed.

I would write more, but I am afraid I would lose my restraint on my temper.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]I absolutely agree with you here, Ken.

It can be all too easy to paint everybody with the same brush. But even based on disucssions here at OtakuBoards, we should all be aware that there are often many shades of grey; there are many reasons why certain events occur in the world and these reasons are often quite complex.

I could sit here and say "there's so much war in the world, all men are horrible". But in my personal opinion, that's not very fair. No war is ever the same and there are always reasons behind these things, whether good or bad or in between.

Ken also brings up an important point about the environment. Just because we haven't dealt with the environment to a huge extent up until the last decade doesn't mean that we are "monsters". It has to be understood that finding solutions on a very broad scale takes time. You are taking about millions of people in most cases, all of which agree and disagree on different approaches to problems.

Fundamentally, I believe that most human beings aren't monsters at all. I think most people have the right intentions and only want to do good things. But obviously, we all have different interpretations of that and we all have different lifestyles and cultures.

So, I do get frustrated by doomsayers as well as people who want to say that everything in the world is completely fine. Obviously, the reality lies somewhere in between.[/color]

[size=1][color=CC0000]Humans are not monsters. Humans [i]can[/i] be monsters if put in the right situation with the correct mental stability.

Humans only get their bad name from insane dictators like Stalin, Hitler and Saddam. Not much else to say really, 'cept, humans are not monsters.[/size][/color]