• Kyo the cat
    • Shigure the dog
    • Hatori the dragon/ seahorse
    • Hatsuharu the Ox/ cow
    • Ayme the snake
    • Hiro the sheep
    • Akito head of house
    • Momiji the Rabbit

I heard reports that FUNimation (the beloved company that dubbed Yu Yu Hakusho and behated company that dubbed Dragonball Z) has taken hold of a fresh, new hit series in Japan. It's called [i]Fruits Basket[/i] and it's still in its first 26 episodes and it's like the #3 overall anime right now (#1 among girls, but guys seem to like it a lot, too).

The story is about a teenaged girl named Toru Honda whose mother died and left her an orphan. To keep from being a burden in the world, Toru bought a tent and moved out to the forrest to live alone, while still finishing high school in town. One day, she finds out that the land she pitched her tent on belongs to the Soma family. The all-male Soma family invites Toru to live with them in their house (let the scandelous adventures pursue!) That's when Toru discovers the Somas' awful secret... they all turn into animals (literally) when "embraced by the opposite sex." If that wasn't enough, Kyo Soma is a very popular boy at Toru's school who has girls falling on him left and right. Can Toru Honda help the Soma family keep their secret?

So the way I hear it, this is a comedy-packed anime that everyone in Japan loves. I might just save up a few bucks and buy it when it comes out in the U.S.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruits Basket is the best. We had a topic about this a while back. I've seen the first half of the series, and as soon as I get enough money I'll order the second half, but I'm anxious for the dubbed releease, too. I want to know which voices are used and such. I hope they don't end up using those same Yu Yu Hakusho and DBZ voices......the series is totally oposite from them, and I don't know if those voices would match terribly well. Anyway, I love Fruits Basket. The show is so innocent and cute. ^^ The whole cast is so sweet, it's just such a cute show!

I just saw the dubbed version. It's like Ranma on drugs... Okay maybe not.

But it's somewhat similar to Ranma with all that transformation stuff and wacky humor. It's more comedy than romance and I would recommend it to everyone who wants something light and funny. Kyo was my personal favorite among the Sohma familay and Ayame was next.

I think it was Yuki Sohma who was popular and not Kyo.

What? How did you see the dubbed version already? I didn't think it was released yet... I don't like Yuki. Kyo is my personal fave. He's so sweet. It's so cute when Tohru makes him smile. ^^ Yuki is so quiet and reserved. I mean, I like him, but I think Kyo's the best. :D

Yeah, it's Yuki who's popular, not Kyo. Yuki is loved by almost every girl in the school. A group of girls even make up his fan-club. O.o

I thought FB was funny. I recall laughing quite a few times, but it's cute humor. I especially think Haru was funny. But the ideas are funny too, so I hope funimation doesn't spoil it too much.....darn it......why did it have to be Funi.....Bleh....

Yeah, it is a weird name. But the show is named after a game Tohru played when she was little. From what I can tell, each person is given the name of a fruit and when that fruit is called, you join the game. The kids always teased Tohru and named her Riceball, which doesn't belong in a fruits basket. It was so sad when she told that story.... *sniff sniff*

Whoops I meant the fansub version. Sorry for not noticing it.

After Tohru kun started living in with the other Sohma family members she started to develop a close relationship with them. This started to irritate Akito (Sohma family leader and main bad guy of the series) since he thought that Tohru didn't belong with the Sohma family.

This reverts back to the day when Tohru kun played fruits basket with her younger friends. Up until now she has always been the one left out, the outsider, the riceball of the whole Sohma family situation.

Yeah, I started out watching the Fansubs first, then I bought the Chinese DVD. :p I think the fansub was better, except I had to watch it on my computer, which lags a lot. There may be some spoilers here, but it's only from the 5th episode.

The episode when Tohru went back to her grandfather's house literally brought tears to my eyes. Everyone was so sad in that episode.....But actually, it had nothing to do with akito. Tohru was just moving back to her Grandfather's house since the rebuilding was done. The fact that she was comparing the game to the Sohmas made the whole game seem really sad. "Riceball can never belong in a fruits basket."

It was kinda strange when Akito went to check on Tohru and see what she was like. He found her stupid and realized he had nothing to worry about. Akito is so stupid. He didn't even see what gift Tohru had with the entire Sohma family. Akito is so terribly twisted. He's a very evil person....poor Yuki-kun......

Yeah, FB being in the hands of Funi means we can expect the same ol' voices. I really don't think the VA's of DBZ and YYH will fit in nicely here. But I'm gonna wait and see. I still want to buy the first DVD, just to see what it's like. I really hope they don't butcher it too bad.....who knows. Maybe we'll all be.....pleasantly surprised? Nah....it's gonna suck.....But still. I'm anxious to see it. ^^

Oops. So Yuki was the popular one and not Kyo? My bad :o
Yeah, the idea of FUNimation handling this show doesn't exactly comfort me, either. But they've improved a lot since 1996, so maybe they'll surprise us. Yu Yu Hakusho was dubbed pretty well (when compared to some other Yu Yu dubs). And we can only pray that they do hire some new voice actors (a teenaged girl who sounds like Vegeta just doesn't seem right)

What I'm afraid of is that they'll give Tohru Bulma or Botan's voice. Neither of those are right for Tohru. Ick. Just the thought sends chills down my spine. All the characters in FB are totally different from YYH and DBZ. Those voice actors suit the kind of characters that are tough and such, but FB isn't about that at all. I just don't want it to come out sounding tough and scratchy, if you know what I mean.

[color=crimson][size=1]I don't know if I had ever even heard of this series until now, but I really want to see it! Just reading about it here has me convinced that this is my type of anime show right here. Of course, I'll just wait until I can get it on DVD so it will be subbed and dubbed together. I have a big thing about waiting for DVDs all of a sudden. But yeah, does anyone have any pictures of the characters and stuff because I want to see what the characters look like to see if I recognize them or anything.[/color][/size]

Um.....I didn't understand your first sentence there, Endymion.....

I don't really care that much, but I personally enjoy dubbed anime, I mean, subtitled, too, but I also like dubbed. I would just like to see it dubbed. After seeing the series subtitled, it would be interesting, that's all. It would just be a shame if it came out awful. Especially if they ever play it on TV.....

Oh yeah, of course they'll be bilingual DVDs.....I'm pretty sure, at least. And thank god for that, incase the dubbing really is that bad. I'm not expecting any miracles or anything. The show's japanese voices are so good. No extreme tones or anything, they're all kinda mild sounding, but they're perfect. I love Kyo's voice. But Yuki's is so funny, it sounds like a girl at first. But Yuki kinda looks like a girl a little bit, too, so....

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry if there was already a topic about this...

(and if there was I'm not aloud to post in it anyways.:rolleyes: )

I know a few of you here have seen it and liked it, But who else has seen it? Wjoes your favorite charactor and episode?

My favorite charactor is Kyou and Hatsuharu and my favorite episode is the last one.(It's so sweet! ^_^)

My favorite chararcters are like yours, Kyo and Hatsuharu. I've only seen the first 13 episodes, since I still haven't gotten around to ordering the 2nd half yet. My fave episode would be...the valentine episode or the New Years episode (which starts out as cleaning....). I just love the Valentine's day episode, Kyo is so funny when he eats all of Kagura's chocolate and sticks his hand out for Tohru's. ^^ And the New Year's episode is so sweet. ^^ But ya know, I love all of the episodes. ^^

WATCH MORE...or at least the last three episodes, it gets really good, and what it shows on the last episode is why I like Kyou so much, though I did like him a lot starting from the second episode
(wich goes far beyond the reason that he's a cat, but that's one of the reasons) I have yet to find some one who accually didn't like Fruits Basket.

Fruits Basket is the most emotional anime I've seen...and one of the first that I did cry when watching it :bawl:

It's one of my favorite series of all times. . . next to Gravitation.(Which is also very emtional and funny, it also has another anime character I really like)

[QUOTE]
Fruits Basket

Features: Comedy - Drama - Romance - Bishounen

Reviewed by: Janos Armch

Licensed in the West? No

If you liked this title, you might also enjoy:
Kodomo no Omocha, Ranma 1/2, Fubata-kun Change

Story in a nutshell (no spoilers):
Honda Tohru's mother has recently passed away, now she lives alone in a tent on the outskirts of the Sohma residence - in secrecy. Her most valued possession is a framed portrait of her late mother, which she talks to often for motivation.
Up until now, this girl has led an unfortunate life, having only two friends at school (both of whom aren't entirely normal): Hanashima Saki - a girl with psychic powers, and Uotani Arisa - an ex-member of a female gang.

One day Tohru is walking along the path on her way to school, when she sees 12 clay figurines of the Jyuunishi (Chinese Zodiac) animals lying on the deck to dry. She goes to take a closer look and bumps into Sohma Shigure and Sohma Yuki - The Prince of Kaiwara High :P. Later that day as she goes to the stream to wash her face, she bumps into the two again. When a landslide occurs and buries her tent, Shigure suggests that she stay over for a while in return for doing chores around the house.

This is all fine save for the fact that each member of the Sohma family happens to be cursed by a vengeful spirit of a Jyuunishi animal - when they become nervous or when they are embraced by a member of the opposite sex, they transform into that animal.

After Tohru trips and bumps into Sohma Kyou, Shigure and Yuki in rapid succession, transforming them into a cat (Baka Neko), dog and mouse, the Sohma family secret is exposed. Yuki makes Tohru promise to keep the curse a secret, but Shigure hints to Yuki that they might have to erase Tohru's memory (though they never do, cause that would mean the end of the story of course :P).

As the story progresses, more of the Sohma family are introduced and bonds between Yuki, Kyou and Tohru strengthen, amid all the transformation chaos.

What Janos thought (may contain spoilers):

The meaning of this anime's name comes from a children's game called "Fruits Basket", where a group of kids each assign a name of a fruit to one other, and they get to come play with the rest of the kids when someone calls the name of their fruit. Toru gets to be a riceball (onigiri) and sits there all alone because no-one calls out riceball. Looking back on this, Toru remarks that riceballs don't belong in a fruits basket, and how she used to be left out of the activities of the other children when she was little. Now that she is living in the Sohma household, she finally seems to have a place in the fruits basket.

If there ever was a message in this anime, it would be "Be thankful for what you have.", Toru has had an unfortunate turn of events in her life, but she always manages to be cheerful and be thankful for everything around her (or is she just hiding her feelings?)

The art style used to draw the characters is pretty good, Tohru looks kawaii most of the time and her eyes are quite big, but some of the male characters look too much like girls. In fact, not only does Yuki look a lot like a girl, he is very shy and timid even though he can kick Kyou's *** whenever they get into a fight, in fact, one episode has him coaxed into putting on a dress ^^;. Kyou on the other hand is hot headed, loud, and arrogant, but he finds it hard to put his true feelings into words (Kind of like Ryouga in Ranma without the forgetfulness). Eventually it becomes apparent to Toru that Yuki and Kyou actually envy each other because they have opposite personalities and it is easy for them to do what the other has trouble doing.

Whereas in Shigure's case I like to compare him to a ditzy blonde (Sorry to all the blondes out there), there are times in this anime where you can actually imagine him skipping around singing "High school girls, high school girls, gonna meet some high school girls". He provides a bit of the comic relief during the quiet times since he doesn't seem to fight at all.

This anime is sort of like Ranma without the hot/cold water, and less ridiculous fighting. It seems to be quite popular at the moment (maybe because of the feminine males :P) - my little sister likes this anime a lot also. It is based on the manga of the same name which is currently running and is 26 episodes long, the series does not conclude the story (as the manga is still in production) so there is a "possibility" of another series. So if you're a fan of Ranma, you should at least give this one a go, it may be a bit slower, but it's got a few things in common with it. bishounen fans might want to look into this as well.

What Tamarket thought:

Fruits Basket is another of our favourite animes - directed by Akitaro Daichi, who also directed Kodomo no Omocha (Child's Toy), it features some of the same bizarre humour while also retaining a serious and melancholy side to the story. Fans of shoujo comedy should enjoy this series .

[/QUOTE]

I REALLY want to see the last episode. I totally spoiled it for myself, and I hated that I did afterwards. I really wanted to be surprised by the ending. Oh well. **spoilers** I know Kyo turns into that awful creature after his master takes off his bracelet in the rain, or something like that. It looks really sad, since even Tohru, and her happy-go-lucky attitude, cries. But I'm dying to see the end...... ^^

What I like most about Fruits Basket is that it isn't much of a love story at all (compared to FY and Marmalade Boy). There really isn't one prominent couple among the group and they seem to just squeeze the cheezy parts to support the storyline. It's more about the relationships between the characters and how the complement each other, just like one big happy family.

My biggest gripe, they edited some cute scenes from the manga (the two other Souma family members).

I tried reading the manga after I had already seen the episodes, and it was so close to exactly the same I just couldn't read it all. It's nice when you see that they're so close, the anime and the manga, I mean. And some people say they like the manga art better, but I like the anime designs more. They just look better and, and they're lips look a little strange to me in the manga. Maybe it's just me....

• 1 year later...
I've seen the whole series and I think it currently tops my favorite anime list (although I've still got tons to watch, hehe). I loved the feel of it, it was rather cutesy but (I thought, at least) still had a deeper meaning. Plus, it was really funny; I love the style of having them become chibis when they're embarrassed or something. And there was a ton of eye candy (almost too much at times, they should've cut down on the character list).

Right, I could go on like this forever ...

Iv'e seen the first two episodes and love it! I just can never work up enough money to buy the dvds :( But the story is cute. And of course so are the characters. my favorites are Kyo and the guy who turns into a dog but I can't remember his name (I know it starts with an "S") But frankly Yuki freaks me out.:0 The eyes are kinda scary tho.