• Shigure the dog
    • Hatori the dragon/ seahorse
    • Hatsuharu the Ox/ cow
    • Ayme the snake
    • Hiro the sheep
    • Akito head of house
    • Momiji the Rabbit

In response to your question...

[spoiler]Sorry, but Akito is female. This is not a rumor and has absolutely nothing to do with some doujinshi; the latest manga chapters released in Japan (and subsequently scanslated for English/Chinese/etc. fans) confirmed that Akito, though raised as male, is in fact a woman. I can probably dig up proof if you really refuse to believe it, but I'm of the opinion that something so shocking would have been refuted long ago if it were somehow untrue. Recently, I've seen Akito's gender discussed on numerous other message boards, and so far very few people have tried to contest the revelations about her true identity.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]In response to your question...

[spoiler]Sorry, but Akito is female. This is not a rumor and has absolutely nothing to do with some doujinshi; the latest manga chapters released in Japan (and subsequently scanslated for English/Chinese/etc. fans) confirmed that Akito, though raised as male, is in fact a woman. I can probably dig up proof if you really refuse to believe it, but I'm of the opinion that something so shocking would have been refuted long ago if it were somehow untrue. Recently, I've seen Akito's gender discussed on numerous other message boards, and so far very few people have tried to contest the revelations about her true identity.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[spoiler]:faint: (1) can you please get me the scans? Might help if i can show a friend who thinks the same as me. (2) so the curse has given Akito no breasts? Because several times she comes in with a skin tight top on and even if she was b cup you would still be able to see some sort of bump to show a woman has breasts. Then again, now that i think about it, it does seem strange that a male (even if he does handle the core of the curse and is always sick) is as weak as what Akito is. Im not saying woman are weak im just saying that males tend to be stronger and have some sort of strength that doesnt get them down or whatever when they are sick when we females usually feel horrible and weaker when we are are sick. Our immune system cant seem to handle it as well as males can and so it does seem more likely that Akito is female just that some things about him make him more male then not (like the no breasts thing).

I will admit defeat and say im wrong in this instance since now that i think aabout it, it does seem more plausable (sp) that Akito is female...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]At first, the plot twist struck me as being pretty ludicrous. But once I calmed down and thought about the possible ramifications, I realized that it provides a pretty neat explanation for Akito's behavior (especially how she treats the other female members of the Zodiac, not to mention poor Tohru). She's incredibly possessive of the male Sohmas... and while that was a huge boon for shounen-ai fans--at least before her gender was revealed--it's not as though Fruits Basket is now totally lacking in s-ai subtext.[/spoiler]

I won't be able to hunt down any scans until I get home later this afternoon, but I'll private message you once I attach the relevant images to this post. :)

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1][spoiler]At first, the plot twist struck me as being pretty ludicrous. But once I calmed down and thought about the possible ramifications, I realized that it provides a pretty neat explanation for Akito's behavior (especially how she treats the other female members of the Zodiac, not to mention poor Tohru). She's incredibly possessive of the male Sohmas... and while that was a huge boon for shounen-ai fans--at least before her gender was revealed--it's not as though Fruits Basket is now totally lacking in s-ai subtext.[/spoiler]

I won't be able to hunt down any scans until I get home later this afternoon, but I'll private message you once I attach the relevant images to this post. :)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[spoiler]You are right, i found a pic on the net ([url]http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/000164.html[/url]) that shows a picture of Akito as female. I have now calmed down over how much it looks like a cross dressing male (what? It does because of Akitos upbrining ^^;; ) but i can now look at the picture and realise that it isnt all that bad, strange still but not all that bad.I always thought Akito was male and so with not showing any breast signs that usually give away the fact that a woman is a woman (of course usually to an extent at least) i just couldnt believe it and thought that the Soma family was as strange (though wonderful) as you could get as it was with the curse and all.

But thinking about what he said about Miss. Honda "she is a very ugly girl" also seemed to give us that whole indication who some girls love to make fun of other girls and be catty about other girls looks and what have you. I now think back to the times that you have said and it does make sense moreso and so as to why he acted that way towards Kisa & Hiro and Hatori and Kana when they said that they love the girls and everything. The signs were there and yet i guess myself and others never put much thought into them because of how Akito acts and was brought up...[/spoiler]

Fruits Basket is a really good anime. It has everything one should have. In all the anime that I have ever seen I've always hated one of the main characters or thought of them as really annoying, but in Fruits Basket you come to like all of them and you can relate to some of them.

Look at my signature *points* Kyo! This is a must see anime.

[QUOTE=Crimson Paine]Thank you.

[spoiler]You are right, i found a pic on the net ([url]http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/000164.html[/url]) that shows a picture of Akito as female.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome. [spoiler]The image that convinced me ([url]http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/furuba/furuba97fin.gif[/url]) was actually posted to the same site, so I assume you probably had a chance to see it.

I'm starting to wonder whether it would even be possible for the anime to have a second season, given what we now know, as well as the general complexity of the manga's plot. Akito certainly [i]sounded[/i] pretty masculine in the show.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]You're quite welcome. [spoiler]The image that convinced me ([url]http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/furuba/furuba97fin.gif[/url]) was actually posted to the same site, so I assume you probably had a chance to see it.

I'm starting to wonder whether it would even be possible for the anime to have a second season, given what we now know, as well as the general complexity of the manga's plot. Akito certainly [i]sounded[/i] pretty masculine in the show.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[spoiler] I would LOVE a second season and i know others would also since the ending of the first one left me (before i realised that there was more to it manga wise) questioning it. They showed Akito saying "i dont know" and just then went to Koyu who was outside waiting for them and never really gave us an actual answer as to wether or not she had her memory erased or whatever. It was pretty easy to tell she didnt but for the people like me (at the begining) who dont know about the manga all that much and think the manga is just what the anime gave us then we could be sitting there with people thinking what i did, "is that the end of it? Did she get her memory erased?" etc.

I wish they carried on with it just like they did with Sailor Moon but we, the FB fans, dont seem to be as lucky as the 'moonies' were when they got their manga shown fully. I know its costly and everything yet i thought it would of been just as popular as Sailor moon or at least popular enough to have the anime carried on and not just stop where it did. A friend said that the anime only had 26 eps and i was just like "huh?! no way, it cant just have 26 eps!!" since i come from New Zealand and if we want the manga we have to order it from the States which gets rather costly (i ordered the 3rd and 4th books and its 25 dollars each) so another season of the anime would be good for us poor folks out here who find 50 dollars a tad bit on the dare side when you dont have the money though you want to keep up with the manga. The anime was done well and i know that another season would go down a treat with us who cant get the manga but i know trying to get the creator into agreeing with us and the people who made it is another thing.

As for that site. I didnt see it on here i thought it would be best to go do some research of my own which is now gotten me curious to read the rest of the manga from where the anime left off (which is about volume 8 in america? ) since i want to know about all these new characters that are popping up like Akitos mother Ren and that Kureno guy and everything. I would read through that site but i dont really want to ruin the mang for me if i can get it when it becomes released so i have stoped reading ^^;;. Though i do admit that all this time (I saw the anime first) i thought Akito and Yuki could pass as brothers more then Aya and Yuki. They seem to have the same hair style and same sort of face shape and everything that makes them look the same and so I did think for a few minutes they were switched at birth when I saw Akito first off in the anime ^^;; [/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Luciiole
[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]You're quite welcome. [spoiler]The image that convinced me ([url]http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/furuba/furuba97fin.gif[/url]) was actually posted to the same site, so I assume you probably had a chance to see it.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[spoiler] well there's certainly no denying that's a convincing photo. It even reads [In Japanese, obviously] about him being female.. and that's no doujinshi.

The thing is they give such strong evidence in the anime that she's, well, male. Being the head of the household, for one. In Japanese society, even now, the thought of a woman being considered the "head" of the family is unheard of. And I'm curious, do the Sohma's not know about it? Because they always refer to Akito as "he" -- but I would think that they would know. Especially Hatori, he is her doctor after all.[/spoiler]

• 4 weeks later...
Yes Hatori, Shigure and Ayame know (or is it just Hatori and Shigure?) I know its Hatori and someone else...anyway, Hatori (or someone) [spoiler]had a dream about Akito being a girl or born as a girl or something and the dream made them cry (the person who had the dream and someone else) and ever since then those two people have had a close connection to Akito and have sworn to keep it a secret...[/spoiler]

Or something like that, so i have heard.

[QUOTE=Crimson Paine]Yes Hatori, Shigure and Ayame know (or is it just Hatori and Shigure?) I know its Hatori and someone else...anyway, Hatori (or someone) [spoiler]had a dream about Akito being a girl or born as a girl or something and the dream made them cry (the person who had the dream and someone else) and ever since then those two people have had a close connection to Akito and have sworn to keep it a secret...[/spoiler]

Or something like that, so i have heard.[/QUOTE]

I would speculate that Hatori and Shigure definitely know. And if those two are aware of the truth, chances are that Ayame must be as well, given the nature of their friendship. I don't [i]think[/i] Yuki knows, but I haven't been following the manga very closely and might have missed something important.

Luciiole: It is quite strange that [spoiler]the head of the household is actually a woman, isn't it? This could go a long way toward explaining why Akito is the way she is; I believe her mother (who is reputedly even more screwed up and psychotic than her daughter) was adamant about raising her as a boy. I can't remember her mother's name, but I know I've seen it mentioned before.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

• 4 weeks later...
I have no clue what dubbed means so I won't say anything about it except that it would be nice if someone wanted to tell me. Anyway, I've seen the first four DVDs. I don't really like Yuki that much even though I did at first because he doesn't do anything anymore. Kyo is one of my favorites along with most of the Sohma family except for Kagura, Ayame, Ritsu, and Akito, who I believe is supposed ot be a [spoiler]girl.[/spoiler] I also don't like Tohru too much because she always tries to impress other people too much. However, without her, there probably wouldn't be much of a show.

[quote name='Mirushi]I have no clue what dubbed means so I won't say anything about it except that it would be nice if someone wanted to tell me. Anyway, I've seen the first four DVDs. I don't really like Yuki that much even though I did at first because he doesn't do anything anymore. Kyo is one of my favorites along with most of the Sohma family except for Kagura, Ayame, Ritsu, and Akito, who I believe is supposed ot be a [spoiler]girl.[/spoiler'] I also don't like Tohru too much because she always tries to impress other people too much. However, without her, there probably wouldn't be much of a show.[/quote]

[color=deeppink][size=1]Dubbed is a term meaning that the anime show was taken from its original form with Japanese voice actors, their voices were taken out, and voice actors who speak English replaced them. Subbed is where the original voice actors are still there, and the translated text is just at the bottom of the screen.

Some people prefer subbed because the voice actors tend to be better, other prefer dubbed because they don't like to have to focus on reading the text. There's other arguements about them too, but that's the basics. If you're watching an anime in English it's been dubbed, either professionally or by fans of the show. Fruits Basket was done professionally, and I think they did a really good job with it.

Isn't there only four DVD's? Maybe you meant first four episodes...? Anyway, the point of the show is that everyone has flaws, both major and minor. Tohru's isn't necessarily that she wants to impress people, but that she doesn't want to be a burden and she wants everyone to be happy, sometimes at the cost of her own happiness and well-being. She's a people-pleaser, not an attention whore.

I love Tohru, but that's just me. ;)

-Karma[/size][/color]

i've heard of fruits basket a lot, but really have not seen it much. i only hear that it's really good and there are lots of great characters on it. i've been introduced to most of the people on it. (actually my friend forced me to sit by him as he showed me all the characters and that was a big pain) i only remeber the names Yuki, Kyou, Shigure (i think that's his name) and Ayame. i like Ayame a lot, but im not sure just as to why that is... when i first saw him i thought he was a girl, but then when i took a closer look i realized it was actually a guy. My friend says that it takes a lot of guts for a guy like him to go around dressed like that. i guess his right... the things that Ayame wear are just some times way too weird. i don't know if i'm right, but i heard that he owned some type of a store or something? is that right? also that his like Yuki's brother? well there are just way too many characters in that anime. i don't think i could ever remeber them all.

[color=darkred][size=1]To Ice-kitsune, yes Ayame is Yuki's brother, but Yuki absolutely hates him because he thinks he's strange (honestly, I'd love to have a brother like Ayame, but that's beside the point...).

Ayame also runs a clothing store (or cosplay shop, what have you), which is a bit of confusion for the other Sohmas. I doubt any of them really know what it is that he does, and they'd most likely be better off not knowing....[/color][/size]

Oh. Thanks for the explanation. I know there are only four DVDs out now but I'm pretty sure more will be coming out. I haven't even met all of the characters yet...I think. Too many to keep track of. I also like Tohru, except for the fact that she likes to please people too much. She just needs to find time to please herself too.

[quote name='Mirushi']Oh. Thanks for the explanation. I know there are only four DVDs out now but I'm pretty sure more will be coming out. I haven't even met all of the characters yet...I think. Too many to keep track of. I also like Tohru, except for the fact that she likes to please people too much. She just needs to find time to please herself too.[/quote]

[color=deeppink][size=1]Nope, DVD 4 was the end. The anime was made before the manga was completed, so a great deal of what goes on in the manga later on is left out in the anime. (For example, two of the zodiac animals, the horse and the rooster, don't even make an appearance in the anime).

That's the appeal of going out and buying the manga. We get to find out what happens, yay!

PS: This just occured to me - the only way that they'd make more DVDs is if they made a second part to the series, but I haven't heard anything like that, so I think they're just leaving it at 26 episodes. But hey, I could be wrong. I'm content with the manga.[/size][/color]

Oh well. I'm beginning to read the manga versions anyway so I'll be able to meet all of the characters. That is, I'm borrowing these books from a friend so I hope she has all of them. Too bad they won't make one more DVD. It's still a good series too.

[QUOTE=KarmaOfChaos][color=deeppink][size=1]Dubbed is a term meaning that the anime show was taken from its original form with Japanese voice actors, their voices were taken out, and voice actors who speak English replaced them. Subbed is where the original voice actors are still there, and the translated text is just at the bottom of the screen.

Some people prefer subbed because the voice actors tend to be better, other prefer dubbed because they don't like to have to focus on reading the text. There's other arguements about them too, but that's the basics. If you're watching an anime in English it's been dubbed, either professionally or by fans of the show. Fruits Basket was done professionally, and I think they did a really good job with it.

Isn't there only four DVD's? Maybe you meant first four episodes...? Anyway, the point of the show is that everyone has flaws, both major and minor. Tohru's isn't necessarily that she wants to impress people, but that she doesn't want to be a burden and she wants everyone to be happy, sometimes at the cost of her own happiness and well-being. She's a people-pleaser, not an attention whore.

I love Tohru, but that's just me. ;)

-Karma[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1] I like your view on it, but yeah I enjoyed Fruit Basket too. Actually reading the manga right now but I've already seen the anime. My favorite characters would have to be Kyo and Shigure (who doesnt love that cute puppy dog ^^ whee) but yeah Tohru is just your typical happy go lucky kid, but deep down there is just sadness because she feels shes a burden because of a certain incident with her mother. Shes also naive and cute too XD [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

go me, i am now the proud owner of the Fruits Basket boxed set. i have watched 2 and a half episodes. $66 at Best Buy. the Escaflowne boxed set is the same price, so if u want one of the two, i suggest getting it here.

by the way, thats a lotta black hilighting up there, lol. lotta spoilers, eh?

[QUOTE=Twilight_Kioku]go me, i am now the proud owner of the Fruits Basket boxed set. i have watched 2 and a half episodes. $66 at Best Buy. the Escaflowne boxed set is the same price, so if u want one of the two, i suggest getting it here.

by the way, thats a lotta black hilighting up there, lol. lotta spoilers, eh?[/QUOTE]

Proper capitalization is (or should be) your friend. ;)

Anyway, the spoiler-heavy posts that populate the last few pages of this thread are by and large devoted to discussing recent developments in the manga and how they relate--or, more often than not, don't relate--to the anime. If you plan to follow the manga, I definitely advise you not to read them. However, I don't think reading the spoilers would adversely affect your enjoyment of the anime, because (in my opinion, at least) the latest manga-only plot twists just don't jive with what's shown in the anime. I've started to approach this as though the two series take place in minutely different worlds, and it does make things a lot easier.

Of course, you won't appreciate the sheer jaw-dropping power of the spoiler-ed revelations unless you watch a good portion of the anime first, so there you have it. :p

Anyway, what you do think of Tohru?

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]Tohru, huh?

Well I'm quite pleased with Takaya to create a clueless braindead character that doesn't automaticaly come off as annoying. Tohru is a very likeable female character in my eyes, which is hard to come by in any kind of shojo manga/anime I find.

I think her appeal lies in her carefree charm, her loving dedication to almost any other character in the series and the fact that really isn't some giggling babbling ditz. That there's more to her deep down than what you see on the surface.

Plus she's so darn cute! =^_^= [/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]You know, I really enjoyed watching the Anime. Torhu isn't always the brightest kid on the block, but she means well. ^^;;

I haven't started collecting the manga yet, but that may change. I was initially planning on collecting the manga at around volume 8 or 9, simply because I was told that that's where the story left off -- I could be wrong ^^;; BUT, I am currently quite tempted to start collecting the entire series ^^;;

We'll see...

Good stuff though. It's been ages since I watched the series and...I miss Shigure *^_^*[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]
Anyway, the spoiler-heavy posts that populate the last few pages of this thread are by and large devoted to discussing recent developments in the manga and how they relate--or, more often than not, don't relate--to the anime. If you plan to follow the manga, I definitely advise you not to read them. However, I don't think reading the spoilers would adversely affect your enjoyment of the anime, because (in my opinion, at least) the latest manga-only plot twists just don't jive with what's shown in the anime. I've started to approach this as though the two series take place in minutely different worlds, and it does make things a lot easier.

Of course, you won't appreciate the sheer jaw-dropping power of the spoiler-ed revelations unless you watch a good portion of the anime first, so there you have it. :p[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink][size=1]I could have used that information before I went around highlighting the spoilers thinking they were about the anime. -.-" But let me tell you, my jaw did indeed drop. Akito...who knew?[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]

~Dagger~ [/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink][size=1]Hahhahahahahahha...nice.

Anyway, many people seem fond of writing Tohru off as an idiot, or a nimrod. She's not. She's very naive and oblivious of the world around her, and I think that's partly just her personality, but also partly a defense mechanism. Her eternal hope is a barrier against the very horrible pain that you see when [spoiler]she talks about losing her mom and not saying "Stay safe!" the day she died.[/spoiler] She cares very much about the people around her, and hates and fears being a burden to anyone else, because she feels she has failed her mother and doesn't ever want to fail anyone again with her "incompetence". As I said before, she is the consummate people pleaser.

She is not, however, an idiot. She is intelligent, and dedicated in everything she does. She may not always succeed, but she tries. Her character shines out as one of the brighter, much more hopeful, non-the-world-gave-up-on-me-so-I-gave-up-on-it characters. Personally, I adore Tohru, and I relate to her on many levels. I'm pretty oblivious to a lot of things, and when you tell me something, I'll take it for face-value and believe it, even if it seems a little ridiculous. I'm also a people pleaser, although for different reasons. So I suppose I'm slightly biased.

Anywho. Yea. Yay for Tohru.

-Karma[/size][/color]

SHES SO CUTE!!!

well, shes an airhead somewhat, and i think thats what makes her cute. she tries her best to do what makes everyone happy, even if it doesnt mean well for herself. the sheep kinda stresses that, and not in a good way. b.t.w, it took me 2 days and an episode to watch it all, i love the ending, even if it wasnt what i expected. ill just say i like Kyo even more.

[color=navy][size=1]Again, please watch your punctuation and such. Though your post makes sense, it's somewhat lacking in that regard. Thanks!

~Dagger~[/size][/color]

• 1 month later...
Who here likes Fruits Basket? Who's your fav character and why, also which episode or episodes do you like?

I luv fruits basket, personally I think it's the funniest anime/manga. My fav character is Kyo, because he makes me laugh the most, I luv cats, plus he has orange hair and there aren't a whole lot of orange haired people in anime. Also my fav episodes are #s 13,14,16,19,20, 21, and 23. Just to let you know I have not seen episodes 1-12, but I have read volumes 1-6.