• Hatori the dragon/ seahorse
    • Hatsuharu the Ox/ cow
    • Ayme the snake
    • Hiro the sheep
    • Akito head of house
    • Momiji the Rabbit

[QUOTE=KarmaOfChaos][color=deeppink]
I feel surrounded by Kyo fans.

Alright Dagger, let's do this. As Chichiri said, Yuki isn't the only 'outsider' in the family. Kyo may not be a member of the Zodiac, but he is able to warm up to other people and do normal things with them, unlike Yuki. Yuki lives his life in fear - fear of Akito, fear of other people, even a slight fear of his older brother. Despite what some may say, it probably took a lot for Yuki to really let his guard down and let Tohru in, whereas with Kyo it happens a lot easier.

And all this crap about how Kyo is always second to Yuki. Kyo can't win against Yuki physically, and he'll never be as 'popular' as Yuki, but he will always be able to trust people easier because he was shown love by Kazumi, whereas Yuki had [i]no one.[/i] He was mentally abused by Akito his entire life, and hated or ignored by anyone who really knew him. So in that sense, Yuki lost in the biggest way possible - love.

Main point? If Tohru were to get together with Yuki, Kyo would recover. Kagura will always love him, and I think there's a deeper bond there than the series really gets into or explores. But if Tohru were to pair up with Kyo, Yuki might never be able to really trust again, because his rival once again won in 'the game of love.'

Kyo didn't have as pathetic a life as it appears to be.

So Dagger? Your turn.

[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] Thank you Kamra that's precisly what I meant. That Kyo would be able to move on if he and Trohu never ended up dating....but Yuki, Yuki would go back to what he was at the begining of it all. Someone who can't really show the real them to people. Or something around those lines....it really makes oyu feel sympthy for Yuki doesn't it...[/color][/font][/i][/b]

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chichiri's Girl][b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] Thank you Kamra that's precisly what I meant. That Kyo would be able to move on if he and Trohu never ended up dating....but Yuki, Yuki would go back to what he was at the begining of it all. Someone who can't really show the real them to people. Or something around those lines....it really makes oyu feel sympthy for Yuki doesn't it...[/color][/font][/i'][/b][/quote]

I don't really see why you guys assume that Kyo would automatically recover, or that Yuki would regress. Give the guy some credit; he may love Tohru, but I fail to understand why not becoming romantically involved with her would reduce him to a soulless ball of mush.

Okay, I retract the hyperbole (although it was a whole lot of fun to write). In all seriousness, Kyo probably could bounce back from that kind of loss, as long as he still had Tohru's friendship. And you know what? So could Yuki. Neither of them depend totally on her for emotional fulfillment--[i]Tohru[/i] made it possible for them to love others, interact with others, accept themselves, accept their family, stop hiding who they truly are, and so on. Saying that either Yuki or Kyo would be incapable of functioning as a normal (albeit potentially heartbroken) human being without her romantic companionship just completely negates all of the positive change that she's inspired.

My main problem with Yuki's character development--and it's pretty much the only problem; he's pretty damn loveable--is that he ends up the exact same way he started. Except that apparently his princeliness was originally just an act: over the course of Furaba, Tohru influences him to reveal his real self. But if Yuki's real self is equally kind, charming, and generally awesome as his now-abandoned facade, then what kind of crappy mask was he hiding behind in the first place!?

So that's what I meant when I said "Although Yuki's weaknesses are gradually revealed as Furaba's story unfolds, he always retains the aura of a "prince." When we first meet him, he is mysterious and flawless--an classic leading man--and later on, his personality is limited by the boundaries of that stereotypical role." Not to imply that anyone asked; I simply felt like explaining.

~Dagger~

[color=deeppink]
Point conscended. It is Tohru's positive influence that does indeed make them much better able to deal with emotions and life in the long run, and Yuki most likely recover, although he would be seriously stung.

My point is, that Yuki probably would be hurt worse because Tohru was the very first person to love him and open up to him completely, trusting him and in the end allowing him to trust others. Kyo has love, and although there is no doubt that Tohru brings that out and makes him see it, and that she changes his life radically and understands him in ways no one else does, Kazumi and Kagura also share understanding with Kyo that Tohru will never have.

Yuki never had that. True, Ayame loves him in his own special way, as does Shigure, but they don't really bond with him in a way that is nuturing and (I want to say healthy, but I think that's crossing the line...XD). Yuki would be hurt worst, Kyo has others to fall back on.

I'm also bias against Kyo because I think he's a selfish bastard. (Don't look at me like that Dagger. You did it too.) I guess I'm trying to say that it's really Yuki who would benefit most, and in the end, Tohru as well.

Because no one really thinks about what Tohru wants. But I think that having a relationship with Yuki would be much better for HER and her character (development wise), because quite frankly, Yuki treats her better. No no, here come the Kyo fangirls...I'm not trying to put down their relationship, or say it's not as meaningful as Yuki and Tohru's, but Kyo's kind of affection is brash and harsh, and while Yuki does have a hard time showing his affection, when he does, it's in a way that doesn't make Tohru feel threatened or that he might be angry with her. In fact, it makes her feel like the relationship has gone even deeper, because he's sharing his soul with her.

It's one of those 'they deserve this, for themselves and for each other' things. Yea, life isn't fair, but this is anime. ^.~

PS: You know I love you Dagger. :smooch:
[/color]

[color=crimson]I have liked Fruits Basket for quite a while now. Just look at my sig. Kyou and Hatsuharu are in my banner. I have a huge collection of pics on my comp and have seen all but one episode of the series. It's a cute, funny, dramatic series that I really really love. Kyou and Haru are my favorite characters, especially Kyou. He gets angry so easily, but he is actually a very deep person. Haru is just so...different. He has personality conflicts and he is just so darn cute. ^_~

In the series, Tohru mentions she wanted to be a cat, and not a member of the Chinese Zodiac when she heard the story of the cat and rat. For anyone who really cares, turns out there is a year of the cat. >pulls out book< It's part of Vietnamese astrology. The Year of the Cat replaces the Rabbit. So, if you were born in 1903, 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, or 1999; you are a Cat. If you want more info on that, just pm me.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

[color=darkslategray]I [i]love [/i]Fruits Basket. Sorry, fangirl moment.

Now to elaborate and explain the above point. I first picked up FB when I read about it on Dagger and Jazzlady's myOtaku pages. I thought I wouldn't like it because I usually don't really get into "girly" or romance stuff, anime or otherwise. I just picked up the first disc and promptly straight back to the rental store and got the other 3.

Too much back story...sorry. Torhu reminds me of Pollyanna, one of my favorite movies and books from when I was a kid. Everytime she smiles and thinks of something happy, I think of that book and how PollyAnna always played that game where you try and find something happy about everything. Just another little correlation there, PollyAnna and Torhu are both orphans depending on the kindness of basically strangers for a place a means to live.

I will freely admit to being a Kyo fan. I personally understand Kyo a lot, at least I think. He has been denied his entire life except by one person until he met Torhu. That has little to do with me though. He is a furious boy, and is highly competative, not to win, just to show that he is worthy or attention and respect. That is where I relate to Kyo. His inextinguishable need to prove that his is good enough, not better.

Yuki... I really have no stance on Yuki. He is smart, athletic, good looking and praised for everything he does, except by the one person whose opinion [i]really[/i] matters, Akito. Akito has been emotionally abusive to Yuki for a long time, it seems. I identify with Yuki on the level that it is hard for me to admit my weaknesses to other people.

I love shigure! I think that he is hilarious. He brings a dimension to the show that I enjoy. Always the adult, but never a serious voice of reason. He see everything that goes on and understands it, and yet he just turns it into a joke. He kind of turns the younger guys to the right direction, but doesn't push them. He allows them to kind figure things out for themselves.

I think that's enough character analysis from Molly... until next time.

Oh, wait, to interject on the couples debate...

I think Torhu/Kyo is a better match on the level that Torhu is Yuki's first affection, for love if you will... But to the looks of it me, it lacks the fire or even the passion needed for a lasting true love realtionship. Passive love, friendship is all I see for Yuki and Torhu. Whereas Kyo has so much emotion and fire about everything it erupts everywhere. Were he to actually focus energies toward Torhu instead of trying to play off his affection, there would be nothing but passions there.[/color]

I love you too, Karmi. Isn't this fun? ^_~

Every time I read the name "Yuki," I start thinking about Gravitation....

*coughs quietly* In any event, you've raised several excellent points, as has Molly. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Kyo's affection is harsh, but he definitely has difficulty expressing how he feels--at least when it comes to Tohru. He's easily mortified, and tends to become very defensive about his emotions, often trying to pretend that they don't exist.

Yet unlike Yuki, Kyo isn't entirely capable of hiding his true self. His social clumsiness is completely genuine, and (with Tohru's help) he can form new friendships and connect to others. It seems to me that Yuki envies Kyo's ability to be himself, not the ease with which their classmates accept him. After all, no one is more admired and emulated than Yuki.

I'll talk more about this later. For now, I thought I'd look at another aspect of Furaba: the alternative love interests. Kyo's is obviously Kagura, while Yuki has Motoko and Hatsuharu. Motoko and Kagura have similar personalities; both are deeply devoted to their respective guys and often become pretty aggressive about their affection. Motoko, however, can't lay claim to the kind of long-lasting love that Kagura feels for Yuki. This is where Haru comes in--he's been interested in Yuki since they were both young, just as Kagura's attachment to Kyo stems from their childhood friendship. In my mind, Motoko, Haru and Kagura basically cancel each other out.

Takuya Natsuki (Furaba's manga-ka) did an amazing job of making readers struggle to justify choosing Kyo over Yuki, and vice versa. Although they appeal to different people--Kyo is the kind of guy who I'd be attracted to IRL, an issue that I'll delve into during later posts--both have an enormous fan base. It may seem as though Yuki supporters are hard to find, but take heart. This debate reminds me strongly of the neverending war between Aeris fans and Tifa fans (and those select few of us who like both equally). Aeris fans appear to be more numerous, but in the end they're just more vocal. The same thing applies to fans of Kyo, possibly because people assume that he's the underdog in the Yuki/Tohru/Kyo love triangle.

~Dagger~

• 2 months later...
Does anyone watch Fruits Basket? My sister recently got the entire series on VCD and I have been reading Fruits Basket scanlations online.

My first impresion was that Fruits Basket was going to be some sort of High School comedy thing, kinda like Ranma 1/2. But as the series progressed it seemed to change into a more serious series.

I'm not saying that I hate it, I actually like Fruits Basket, but I won't go overboard and say that I love it. I just think that they sould have had a healthy balance between funny and serious throughout the series rather than changing from funny to serious.

By the way, my favourite Fruits Basket Characters are Kyo and Yuki.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]I merged your thread with the existing Fruits Basket one. When starting a thread about a specific anime, be sure to search the forum or check the Threads Directory Sticky at the top of the page to make sure one isn't already up. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][color=deeppink]Wow, it's been awhile, Dagger dearest. Sorry I haven't replied to this sooner!

First of all, to address the alternate love interests - you definitely caught my attention by bringing up a Yuki X Haru relationship. I must admit, I never really thought of it before, because I was so focused on Tohru and Yuki. But that would indeed be very interesting. However, if that happened, I would have to insist that a Kagura x Kyo would be in the future. As Molleta said, Kyo is a very passionate person, and so is Kagura. A relationship between the two of them would be fiery and full of comedy, but also of deep and powerful love. Hatsuharu and Yuki are much calmer, subdued characters, and their love would be the exact opposite, a gentle kind of caress, but just as powerful.

Where does that leave Tohru? With Shigure and Ayame of course! XD I must admit, I've always wanted to see where that one would go.

So, to have my final say on what has truly been a good debate: Although any of these relationships would work, and none of them would be disappointing, my choice would be that Tohru end up with Yuki and Kyo with Kagura, because I believe that, overall, they would be happier in those relationships. Yuki would treat Tohru with all the gentleness and respect she deserves, and Kagura wouldn't LET Kyo treat her with anything less. To me, Kyo and Tohru are much better off as friends.

-Karma[/color][/FONT][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
...why does it seem as if every time I post in Anime Lounge, it's always in a thread that's more than a month old? lol

Anyway, my sister is an avid fan of the Fruits Basket manga (she has the first three volumes). Her birthday came recently, and since this was the first year that I had a reasonable amount of money at this time, I decided to buy her the first Fruits Basket DVD as a birthday present. She watched it and told me that she loved it, which made me feel good, since it seemed as if I had chosen a good birthday present for her. All was well.

Today, since I had nothing to do, my sister wanted me to watch the DVD with her. So, yeah, I sat down and watched the DVD (which has the first six episodes on it), and, lo and behold, I really liked it. In fact, I'm even thinking about buying the second volume for her as an "extra gift" :p

I really enjoy the humor of the series...it doesn't go overboard with the "cutesy" look, and instead uses it to get a few laughs out of the viewer. If it's used that way, the stereotypical cutesy look doesn't bother me in the least, heh. Plus, the characters (the ones that have been introduced thus far, anyway) are likable enough. They all have their little quirks, but they're developed enough so that you can take them seriously, as well.

So, yeah, I'm becoming a fan of Fruits Basket - I hope to buy that present for my sister fairly soon ;)

Guest SohmaGurl04
[COLOR=Purple]I LOVE Fruits Basket!!!
It's funny, with a little romance and goofiness in it too. Too bad it's so short.[/COLOR]
Kyou is my favorite character. :love:
Actually, Kyou AND Yuki are my favorite characters.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]FRUITS BASKET!!!! YAY!! I LOVE IT!! Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm becoming very scared because my friend is now obsessed with Kyo and after reading in this tread how everyone else loves Kyo, well.... she's scary. VERY scary (now she's releasing her fury by playing DDR....).

I seriuosly love it though. I have Volumes 1-4 of the manga (my store, Starclipper comics, releases new volumes of manga, like, 3 weeks earlier than the "posted release date"!! YAY!!) and I also have volumes 1 and 2 of the anime. My b-day's the 9th, so hopefully my mom bought me the last two. I wish they would start a second season in Japan. Then they could dub it and send it here!! YAY!! There [I]are[/I] 14 volumes of the manga out, so a second season wouldn't be a problem. And I think that there are more volumes coming out. Maybe. I hope to God. Also, I don't like how they took out some stuff from the manga that was important... like when Hana and Uo visited in episode 6, the totally took out the scene when Tohru tells them about who gave her the hat when she was little (who was obviously a young Kyo); and the double date that Tohru, Yuki, Kyo, and Kagura went on for Valentines day;
and several important conversations with Shigure and Hatori. I did like how they did episode eight. It was amazing. I'm typing to much. :babble: :babble:

And as for anyone who watches Fruba (Fruits Basket), get anyone you know to watch it. I've even gotten my [B]MOTHER[/B] to watch it. My [B]MOTHER[/B], people. She [B]LOVES[/B] it. If I can get her and some of my other friends to watch it, and especially since some of them (including my [I]mother[/I]) had absolutely no intrest in manga or anime, you can do it to. Spread the word!!

Yeah, I'm done being wierd now. I don't really have a favorite character and there are to many hot character to choose, but if I had to choose a fav. from what I've seen so far, it would be.... um.... Momiji. He's just so funny and cute!! And to think that he's fifteen....scary. And I do wish he was half German, like in the manga. Oh, and his mother has some serious issues. Even so, I still don't have a favorite character and I gotta go.

Bis Bald!![/COLOR]

Guest moonpriestess15
I love Fruits Basket! It is a great manga! My favorite character would have to be Yuki. I love Yuki Sohma!!!! He is so sweet and innocent..((wait, the whole manga is sweet + innocent)) *nervous laughter* I'm not a whole lot good at this typing thing....

ok you people are way behind sheesh get caught up. THe dubbed version is out and has been out and all 26 (thats all there is) is out for you to buy. GOd go to SunCoast or go to BestBuy and lord please do this the next time you people talk. Raise your hand, cover your mouth, and think before you speak. Lord.

Midnightsnow, that type of attitude is very much unwanted here at OtakuBoards. If you had looked before you leaped, so to speak, you might have noticed that this thread was started long before Fruits Basket became available in the States. Any other posts which unnecessarily disparage fellow members will be deleted without the luxury of a warning.

~Dagger~

Guest AlisaL
I like Fruits Basket. ^^ My friend has the first 3 DVDs. I like Momomiji cuz he's cute and cuddly and cheery...and I'm freaking everyone out here aren't I? O___O I like Hanajima too, the way she creeps out that creepy fan girl club. ;)

I usually get Yuki on all the personality quizzes too. Next thing you know tomorrow I'll wake up as a rat. O_O

I hate Ayame though. I really don't know why.

Guest cee_is_lovely
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Magenta]Eeee! Ive seen the whole Fruba Series, and it's very interesting. All the characters are different and detailed. Some of the songs that they play get annoying after a while, though.. but either way, it's a very good series ^^;[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
<3Cee

[FONT=Tahoma]well..Fruits basket is one of my favourite series of the moment, i am actually really collecting my first series and this one is it.
usually i'll bum all my anime off my other friends, but for once i am decideing to actually buy my own series, i've got the first 3 dvds, and i am trying to buy the 4th but i am a poor poor person ><
my favourite character definately is Yuki, and Mommiji.. so cute ^_^
i also love the doctor guy who's name i just cant rememer off the top of my head, sorry.
but this one anime that i am somewhat obsessing over, i guess it would be this years favourite for me ^^ [/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]hatori or ha-san is the doctor, and one of my favoritres i might add, his story is sooo sad, and why he wears his hair deliberately over an eye. he also never gets too worked up. hes had to deal with a lot, not to mention crazy friends such as ayame and shigure. hatsuharu is also quite a character with his split personality and ayame and his blatent love of himself ^_^ so funny... i really like the series, watched a fansub of it though, but it was still good quality. fun characters, fun plot, and fun to watch the transformations, hehe.[/COLOR]

I love Kyo also. I'm obsessed more than I am of fruits Basket.

But Fruits Baskets is avery good manga. I haven't bought it yet. I've only bought all the Kyo's and The Get Backer's. But Fruits Baskets I'm working on.^_^

I like the way the Somha's fight it's halarious. The dog Somha(Forgot his name)reminds me of Miroku from Inuyasha.Tee-Hee.

I can't wait until thee end of the manga. I want to see what happens. :love:

If anybody likes to read manga's I highly suggest you read Fruits Basket. It's halarious, sad(in a way), romantic(in a way), and very GOOD.

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Sorry about my last post. I was very sleep deprived and loaded on Pixi Stix.

Anyway, lets see if I can get this thread started up again... so, yeah, anyway I finally have obtained all four DVDs of Fruba (Fruits Basket) and I must say the ending was freakin' spectacular! If I may have a girly moment I will admit that I started crying once Shigure and [spoiler]Katsuma[/spoiler] started talking on the balcony....guess I knew something bad would happen.... but I seriously would not stop crying until the middle of the last episode (I have no clue as to what was wrong with me...).

Anyway, [spoiler]Kyo's "Original Form" didn't look, as everyone said, horrifying and gruesome.[/spoiler] Sure it was strange but it could have been worse. [spoiler] I though that when he was changing was more horrifying[/spoiler], but maybe that's just me.

Oh, by the way, does anyone have any opinions on what was up with Yuki at the end? I mean after [spoiler]Tohru comes home holding a kitty Kyo[/spoiler] but before [spoiler]Tohru, Yuki, Kyo, Shigure, and Hatori all visit Akito (well....maybe not Kyo....). He seemed really down and deep in thought.[/spoiler] At least at the end he's back to normal.

Just wondered if you had an opinion on it[/COLOR] :)

Bis Bald!!

Fruits basket is wonderful, i wish i could see more but i've only seen 3 episodes. Unfortunately i was going shopping today and 4 dvds were in my shop i was so disappointed because they were a pack of 4 and i was $30 short of buying them and none of them were on their own so i couldn't buy just 1 of them. it was a horrible experience i hope never to go through again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Senshi_Onigiri
i'm in love with Furuba! My all time fav is Kyou-kun!! *sparkles*
I already got the whole 4 dvds series and read the first 4 volumes of the manga! Though the anime version takes out some stuff that the manga has...like in volume 2 when Tohru tells her friends about a hat she kept since she was little b/c a boy gave her and you think that little boy was Kyou b/c he was listening to them and stuff and the anime didn't put that and I wonder why? Well I haven't read the entire manga but I hoping to learn more about that little story! teehee

• 3 weeks later...
Guest luciapureheart
[quote name='araina rinu][color=darkolivegreen']hatori or ha-san is the doctor, and one of my favoritres i might add, his story is sooo sad, and why he wears his hair deliberately over an eye. he also never gets too worked up. hes had to deal with a lot, not to mention crazy friends such as ayame and shigure. hatsuharu is also quite a character with his split personality and ayame and his blatent love of himself ^_^ so funny... i really like the series, watched a fansub of it though, but it was still good quality. fun characters, fun plot, and fun to watch the transformations, hehe.[/color][/quote]
Hatori is my favorite too. His story makes me want to let him cry on my shoulder! It woudl be so embarressing though when he transformed!

I am starting to get sick and tired of this roumor thats going around. I am a huge fan of Fruits Basket and yet now that some person did a doujinshi (sp) has gotten people into believing that Akito really is female. Now i dont know about you but i KNOW he is male and that is how the creator made him. A male. So i thought i would ask you what you thought. Is Akito male or female?