• Kyo the cat
    • Shigure the dog
    • Hatori the dragon/ seahorse
    • Hatsuharu the Ox/ cow
    • Ayme the snake
    • Hiro the sheep
    • Akito head of house
    • Momiji the Rabbit

Yes I have seen this anime. It is very good, but I think that the idea is better than anything else I have ever seen. The animation is quite good, and using acient china by [spoiler]saying that they turned into zodiac animals[/spoiler] was brilliant.

When I first saw it, the character design caught my eyes. I thought the way they made the big bishie eyes was very nice. I'm not real interested in the kind of anime it is, but I think if you exclude that for me I think it is one of the best animes I have ever seen.

Even though that it looks like Bishounen it is still a very good anime. Though I am not sure if it's Bishounen, lemme go check. But anyway I think it is an amazing anime and the plot is probably the best thing about it. Coming in a close second is the Character design, then the voices. Such pretty Japanese voices.

All in all I think this is one of the best animes I have ever seen, and probably the best plotted anime ever. If they could I would like them to sell all of the episodes on DvD at the anime store near me. ><. But that's off topic.

So yes I have seen Fruits Basket and I think it is probably one of the best animes I have ever seen. *looks at post* Wow that's long.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
[color=crimson]I have been looking into the show for awhile. I have read a few magazine articles and internet pages regarding Fruits Basket.
But I was not sure if it would be the right anime for me. If anyone could give me some advice that would be great. If you have seen the show, what did you think, what kind of genre did it seem to be to you? If you liked it, why? What made you get into the show?

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

Hm, I remember seeing a Fruits Basket thread open ... but it's probably pretty old.

Anyway, to give you some general Fruits Basket info ...

If you don't know, the story is about an orphan girl, Tohru Honda, who ends up living with three guys from the Sohma family. The Sohmas have a secret which is central to the plot: [spoiler]whenever a member of the opposite sex hugs them, they turn into an animal of the Chinese zodiac.[/spoiler] The anime ends up being about Tohru and the Sohmas dealing with the secret.

FB is a cute, magical-type anime, sort of with an aim towards girls (there are a ton of guy characters, and most of them are pretty cute). It's very light-hearted, and quite funny. There's not really any exaggerated melodrama, but it can still get quite emotional at some points as you get to know the characters better. Most of the characters get pretty well fleshed-out, and are very likable. It's probably my favorite anime.

What else ... Oh yeah, I recently also watched Love Hina, and thought the two animes were [i]extremely[/i] similar (except that in Love Hina it's one guy and a bunch of girls, and in FB it's one girl and a bunch of guys). So, if you've ever seen and liked Love Hina, you might like Fruits Basket as well.

There's a concise version of my opinion ... if you care to know more, just ask :p.

I've seen the first two episodes on the bonus DVD from one of my bro's animes. It's really really cute and funny. Personally I think shougre is the funniest. Yeah but anyhoo it's really got an AWSOME plot line as terra explianed and any gil who likes boushone all over the place would love it. I the end it dose get pretty weird though...don't ask how I know(d**m spolier pics why did I have to look at them?!) He he my favorite three are Kyou, Hana(I'm just gonna call him buy his nick name.) and Shougre,(For people who haven't seen the anime Hana and Kyo are on Luminaire banner. Hana is on the left Kyo on the right) it really is a loveabal anime...

• 1 month later...
[FONT=arial]
[COLOR=deeppink]
[SIZE=1]
Hah hah, my first post. I'm so talented. XD Anyway, on to the actual subject (yes, that would be nice wouldn't it?). Due to a series of most random events, I have become a big fan of Fruits Basket (Furuba). After buying all the episodes on DVD, I shared them with my friends. Imagine my surprise when they all turned out to be huge Kyo fans after watching it! Later on, I went searching among various Fruits Basket sites, only to find legions of Kyo shrines. X.x However, I simply do not see the appeal of this character. He's just another bad boy with a twist. Yes, it is very intresting to watch him develop, and see his reaction to Tohru, and we all love the Yuki VS Kyo battles, but I don't feel any kind of special attraction to him, whereas I simply adore Ayame and Shigure. Yet, EVERYONE loves Kyo! Is there something I'm missing here? O_o; What does everyone find so cool about him? Someone, do enlighten me...

[i]- Karma[/i]

[/FONT] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well It just so happens I'm a raging Kyou fangirl and well what is there to explain? Think about it. When you get a crush on someone your best bud might think he's a jerk or something like that and hate him. You con't really explain it ya'know? I mean say,say you like um, well Yuki for example. What makes you like him? Everybody has different reasons. Um well erinzyger(she's gonna kill me for posting this) likes Yuki [b]and[/b] Kyo. Now how can you get any more different persoanlities then that? It all rides on the person who has the crush I would say. I'm not sure why I like anybody I like, anime or not. Can you really explain why you like someone? I sure can't. But enoigh of this rambling! I'm just repeating my self over and over anyways....

[color=chocolate]*twitch* DEA!!! *calms herself* Heh, anywho, I'm actually with you Karma. Kyou's ((<---Don't say a word about my spelling. That's the way I spell it.)) a very cool character at first. I mean, the Bad Boy character is who I would go for first. Besides, I dunno what you people think, but red/orange hair is hot. But eventually, I moved on to less..."easily aggravated characters", such as Yuki :love2:, Shigure :love2:, and Ayame :love2:. But, like I said, the Bad Boy character will almost always be the most popular. Girls these days seem to like tough guys. *pats Karma on the back* But don't worry, you're not alone. There's still some of us out there.

-Erin[/color]

[font=arial][color=deeppink]
Yay...I'm not alone. ^-~ And yea I guess there will always be a lot of people(cough, girls) going for the 'bad boy' so that partially explains it.

As for not being able to explain why I like a character...well, I think if you like a character, you should be able to explain why. For example, I like Ayame because he's so utterly out-there, and acts a lot like I do. You don't see many characters who act like him, especially male. I love unique characters. Anyway, enough of my rambling. I'd love to hear more opinions on this.

[i]-Karma[/i]

PS - I was so suprised when I found out that Ayame's english voice actor was Chris Sabbat! X.X It's like...Vegeta....is Ayame now...scary!!
[/color][/font]

Mm, I always liked Kyo too. And I'm not into bad boys in real life at all. It's just ... I don't know. Yuki's got it too easy; everybody at school loves him, and looks at him as the hot one. (I know, I know, his life isn't really [i]that[/i] easy, but that doesn't change the fact he's the "prince" at school.) Whereas with Yuki around, everybody overlooks Kyo. So it's kind of a sympathy thing.

Besides, there is something so cute about how Kyo tries to act so macho, and can't quite express his feelings ... you know what I mean? I always wanted him to end up with Tohru. :p

I like Shigure too, but he's too ... I couldn't be romantically interested in him. (For a cartoon character, at least.) I never liked Yuki at all ... he looks too much like a girl. And acts like one, for that matter.

[color=deeppink][font=arial]
I guess I'm really not seeing the appeal...I always thought Yuki had it harder than Kyo, what with being mentally abused by Akito and all. And Kyo is so blinded by his foolishness for wanting to be in the 'family'. I always wanted to strangle Kyo for not seeing how hard Yuki had it, avoiding everyone, and in all actuality, being more anti-social than Kyo. I *did* feel more sympathy in the end of the series [spoiler]when you found out why everyone -really- hated the cat, how he turned into the monster and all. [/spoiler] Those last two episodes were really touching, I cried. T.T Which isn't saying much, I cry really easily. ^^;; But they really were such emotional extremes for all the characters. [spoiler] Even Shigure, I abosolutely loved the part when he got all choked up and started to say "I'm so sorry..." And then when Yuki was trying to get Kyo to stay, stay with him and Tohru. [/spoiler] *cries *

Wow...I kind of got off-topic there. ^^;; Anyway, back to the point. I guess Yuki always got more sympathy points, because he actually tried. Kyo just drowned in self-pity 24/7. v.v" And as for Yuki looking like a girl...they did kind of force him into that dress. ^^;; And at least he didn't dress like Momiji XD Let us all remember the school president's day dream about Yuki...and all have a great big * group shudder *

Enough rambling. TTFN

[i]-Karma[/i]
[/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anna-chan
[IMG]http://goldenbuddha.net/thehoot/fruitsbasket3.jpg[/IMG]

I...love...this anime...SO MUCH!!! :love: I saw one epsidode and I was hooked. Have any of you guys seen this? I went out and bought all four DVD's in one day. ( I got yelled at by my mom for all the money I spent, but it was well worth it)

What did you guys think about Fruits Basket?

I myself generally stick to shonen but as anime isn't about limiting yourself...I watched it because one of my friends really likes it too^_^ I thought it was pretty good. Wow, I don't want to think of what that cost-_- . Yep, interesting story methinks^_^ I think lots of people should give it a try, it is a light hearted sort of anime^_^

awww i know how that feels me live near a library that for some reason buys more anime than most video store...so me got to see all of them for free....this was one of THE best anime ive ever seen and i cant wait for the manga cause it continues where the anime left off....WHICH ONE WILL SHE CHOSE!!!!! anyway i just love akito...and i love his seiyuu he has a seccy lisp and i just love it*hugs akito*

[color=orangered]Akito's kinda evil really O_o;; I don't like him much... Especially in the last episode... [spoiler]I mean where DID that car actually come from? And go to for that matter? O_O;;[/spoiler]

But no, I think it's a very worth while anime to sit down and watch. The storyline's cool, the animation's very pretty, and the whole idea with the chinese zodiac intrigues me. But something's gotta be great when I openly denounce my zodiac (the cow ^_^) in front of my whole Japanese class and adopt the cat as my new zodiac...

[spoiler]And I love how they make up in the end... If you've seen it you know who I mean... if you haven't then STOP PEEPING UNDER SPOILER TAGS![/spoiler]

Yeah, I highly reccomend Furuba ^_^;; Kyo is so cool and... annoyed O_o;;[/color]

Heh you have no clue how many threads have been made devoted to Fruits Basket do you? Oh well they were to many pages back anyways. Besides you a 'new' newbie. (Can I say that? Cause I mean I'm a newbie but I've been here for like 8 months I think...so I'm not that new anymore I guess....) Yeah well I love Fruits Basket! Kyou is so cool!*huggles Kyou* Damn that Kaygua! She needs to back off! ?*growls* Yeah well I've seen the first six episodes and now I'm an addict....:sweat: I mean I have like 2 posters already....But um where are you getting the idea that the manga goes where the anime left off? Cause it starts out when Torhu finds the house and stuff. Yeah....It think the ending is the same as in the anime. Don't ask how I know. I just do.....*evil laugh*

um yeah it does start where she finds the house but it CONTINUES.... i read it in a mag for manga and ive read raw mangas tho i cant understand the hirigana...i know that fruba wasnt suppose to end like the anime but the author didnt make a dead line or something and the show just ended like that...kinda like kenshin

• 3 months later...
[center][b]Yuki vs. Kyo: Dagger's Dissertation ;) [/b][/center]

After watching the first few episodes of Furaba, many fans are pre-disposed to favor Yuki. He's strong, intelligent, charming and stunningly attractive. Yuki Sohma initially appears to be the archetypal shoujo love interest; this is evident in both his near-perfect personality and effeminate beauty. Although Yuki's weaknesses are gradually revealed as Furaba's story unfolds, he always retains the aura of a "prince." When we first meet him, he is mysterious and flawless--an classic leading man--and later on, his personality is limited by the boundaries of that stereotypical role.

If Yuki is the ideal hero, then Kyo is the very epitome of an anime anti-hero. Ever the underdog, he speaks without thinking, attacks without warning, and prefers action to contemplation. But beneath that prickly facade, he's a sweet, shy boy who yearns only for acceptance and unconditional love. Tohru alone can reach this part of Kyo. Not even Kagura, who knows his darkest secret and has been devoted to him for many years, is capable of doing that.

Some might argue that Yuki and Tohru belong together because "Yuki came first." So he did--and yet Tohru's ties to Kyo run far deeper than it seems. She has loved and pitied the cat since she was a little girl. If Furaba has anything to do with fate, then Tohru should rightfully end up with Kyo. Even his [i]deus ex machina[/i]-style entrance smacks of destiny. It's not merely a simplistic comedic device: it's an allusion to the fact that Kyo has fallen (both literally and figuratively) into Tohru's life. Unlike Yuki, whom she had been acquainted with through school, Kyo starts off as an utter stranger.

Although Kyo, Yuki and Tohru are all portrayed as being outsiders, Kyo and Tohru have far more in common than Tohru and Yuki. He is the cat, she is the onigiri--both longing to join groups which they can never become a part of. It is only when [i]Kyo[/i] takes Tohru's hand and leads her back to Sohma house that we hear the onigiri finally being called. This is obviously intended to represent the coming together of kindred souls. The onigiri and the cat may belong neither to the fruits basket nor the zodiac, but once in each other's company, they can never be lonely again.

For the moment, let's disregard Furaba's symbolism. It seems fairly clear that Tohru is attracted to Yuki, does it not? Yet he's won the admiration of every girl (and boy) in school; not all of them can be said to truly love him, and Tohru is no exception to this rule. She [i]does[/i] love Yuki. She may even love him romantically. Remember, though, what she went through for Kyo's sake--remember her shock, her pain, her suffering--and, in the end, her willingness to give up everything for his sake. It is no coincidence that during Furaba's last few episodes, Yuki becomes a peripheral character for the first time in the entire show.

To summarize my position, Tohru is going to end up with Kyo. Would anybody care to dispute this? ^_~

~Dagger~

I love Fruits Basket!! Its my favorite anime!!

Kyo is sooo hott......lol. I own all of the DVDs. Kyo is my favorite character [no da] and I like Shigure and Haru 2nd best.

I don't like Akito. He's so rude and since when can he drive?!?!. I think Yuki is really ugly compaired to Kyo. Tohru is ok i guess. I liked her in the last few episodes [basically its the whole last DVD...] though. I cried during the whole last DVD. It was just so sad.....

I agreeb with Dagger. Tohru and Kyo were made for each other [curse you tohru!!!]. Its really becomes obvious in the last few episodes.

I know I used be obsessed with Love Hina but ever since I saw the 1st episode I've loved Fruits Basket more than any anime I've ever seen/read. The whole series is just so great. I recomend this series to EVERYONE! ^^

[SIZE=4]I LOVE YOU KYO!![/SIZE]

Ahhhh, my first v7 post. I feel so happy.

Anyways, if you know me, you know I'm a big fan of Fruits Basket. As no one particularly cares about my ravings on how good the show is, let's get right down to business.

I agree with the majority of people here that Kyo and Tohru are better for each other. There's the simple reason: Kyo has been coming in second to Yuki all his life, and for the most part, he's never really gotten close to anyone. While he starts out as the typical, brash orange-haired anime character, he begins to open up to Tohru as the series progresses. Tohru and Yuki are cute together, but they don't have the emotionally charged scenes together like Kyo and her do.

And if you kept a dry eye when [spoiler] they hugged in the last episode [/spoiler], you are heartless. ^_^

And then there's Dagger's point: she was drawn to Kyo from the start because of her personal feelings about the cat of the zodiac, and that created a tentative bond between them in the early episodes.

I don't have much time to expand on this, I'm afraid. Anyways, anyone disagree in here and think it should be Yuki?

:D OMG!! I love Fruits Basket. I think the show is amazing. All the characters were well-drawned, the show is definitly funny, and drama in every episode really shows a lot of affection. All the characters who are cursed zodiacs relate to almost everybody. For instance, I'm the year of the tiger. The character Kisa had a problem dealing with school. When it showed me how she felt, it came to me that I had that same experience back when I was her age. It's weird, but yet so amazing. To put it all together, Fruits Basket is the best anime I've ever watched. I loved all the characters; especially Tohru. She is one of the strongest main character that I totally salute to. GO Tohru! :D

[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=indigo]Now I now that I might be a little bias for saying this but I just don't think Torhu and Kyo will end up. Yeah yeah they're both outsiders [u]but[/u] so is Yuki when you think about it. As they explained, in some episode on possibly the first dvd maybe the second, Kyo can and will eventually fit in and make friends with people. As Yuki says he may be the outsider of the Zodiac but because of tha he can warm up to people. Or something around those lines. What about Yuki some may ask. My point exactly. You see Yuki is admired by everyone yet nobody is brave enought(or maybe they don't think they're worthy who knows?) to confront him and really make friends with him. He seems alone. Sure you have the whole Prince Yuki fanclub but they can't even talk to him without at [u]least[/u] two other members with them (this was in violation in one episode where the President and another uppercalssmen talked to him themselves but I suppose since they are upperclass men they let it slide....). So Yuki is alone. [/color][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] Wait but what's this? A girl seems to come and open up his heart a little bit. The first person outside his family to love him(as a friend). Everything is going fine and dandy intill a certain cousin shows up to also become friends with this girl. Now was it just me or did it seem that Yuki wasn't fond of all the time Kyo and Torhu spent together. His very first smile that we saw in the whole season [u]did[/u] happen when he was alone with Torhu. Kyo's didn't come till much later. [/color][/font][/i][/b]

[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] Torhu being the person she is I think that she would be devastated to see Yuki all sad a mopey if she and Kyo became an item. This works vice versa too. Torhu being the person she is she wouldn't be able to choose one or the other. She'd want both to be happy. So in short I think that Torhu won't end up with either of them, or if she does Yuki, but only because she became friends wiht him first and he was the one who we;comed her into Shigure's house. But who knows really? Fruits Basket's ending was like on ein a good book. Lets you think out the ending yourself.[/color][/font][/i][/b]

[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] That being said I think the saddest part of the whoel series was the episode about Momiji's family. To [SPOILER]To have your own mother regret having you and begging to forget all about you refering to you as "that creature" with you standing there would be...painful at least.*shudders* I don't think you could describ that feeling...and it's not like he was a little baby. He was at least 5 I'd say but then with Momiji who can tell right? Poor poor Momiji[/SPOILER] *sighs*[/color][/font][/i][/b]

[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] Yeah so that's all I really want to say right now. But wasn't this thread kind of old? What started it back up again? Oh well*shrugs*[/color][/font][/i][/b]

[color=deeppink]
I feel surrounded by Kyo fans.

Alright Dagger, let's do this. As Chichiri said, Yuki isn't the only 'outsider' in the family. Kyo may not be a member of the Zodiac, but he is able to warm up to other people and do normal things with them, unlike Yuki. Yuki lives his life in fear - fear of Akito, fear of other people, even a slight fear of his older brother. Despite what some may say, it probably took a lot for Yuki to really let his guard down and let Tohru in, whereas with Kyo it happens a lot easier.

And all this crap about how Kyo is always second to Yuki. Kyo can't win against Yuki physically, and he'll never be as 'popular' as Yuki, but he will always be able to trust people easier because he was shown love by Kazumi, whereas Yuki had [i]no one.[/i] He was mentally abused by Akito his entire life, and hated or ignored by anyone who really knew him. So in that sense, Yuki lost in the biggest way possible - love.

Main point? If Tohru were to get together with Yuki, Kyo would recover. Kagura will always love him, and I think there's a deeper bond there than the series really gets into or explores. But if Tohru were to pair up with Kyo, Yuki might never be able to really trust again, because his rival once again won in 'the game of love.'

Kyo didn't have as pathetic a life as it appears to be.

So Dagger? Your turn.

Hey there, Karmi. ^_^

Before I respond to your comments, I want to make something clear--it's not as though I prefer Kyo to Yuki, or that I'm even technically a Kyo fan. I really like Yuki, but when it comes to Furuba's potential relationships, I support the Tohru/Kyo pairing (in case anyone couldn't tell ^_~).

I think you're being a bit unfair to Yuki by saying that he lives his life in fear. Yuki is an incredibly strong person, both physically and mentally, and he continually proves that he's capable of change. Ironically enough, there are times when he seems to feel somewhat threatened by those who are eccentric or simply different.

While his aversion to Ayame is definitely related to their childhood encounters, he also has trouble understanding why anyone would act so frivolously. This shows in Yuki's lack of tolerance for Shigure's madcap antics, and the strange combination of discomfort and resignation which he exhibits around Hatsuharu.

Yet throughout Furuba (I love that word!), Yuki begins to open up, to accept others' oddities, to unhesitatingly admit his weaknesses even when conversing with Motoko, who might as well be a perfect stranger. His kindness and princeliness might initially be feigned--as he implies when talking to Tohru--but by the end of the show, Yuki's walls have been dismantled, and the warmth he shows towards others cannot be anything but genuine.

This transformation, of course, is mostly thanks to Tohru. At first, Yuki has only her; he's basically rejected his family, and can't develop friendships with anyone at school. Tohru teaches him to accept his relatives--to appreciate the deep bonds between Hatori, Shigure and Ayame; to face Haru with his usual gentleness and charm, rather than indifference or exasperation; and to realize that even Kyo is in dire need of love.

In other words, it appears to me that Yuki ends up being rather well-adjusted; he turns into the "prince" who everyone originally thought him to be. He still has a long way to go, of course... but then, so does Kyo.

But.....there's another significant reason why I'm not a fan of Tohru/Yuki. Although Tohru and Yuki would be great together, I'd really, [i]really[/i] love to see Yuki and Haru become a couple. That's probably not happening, but I derive a ridiculous amount of joy from watching them interact. In my opinion, Haru cares for Yuki just as much as Kagura cares for Kyo--he simply doesn't shout or scream about it.

If Kagura weren't quite so insane, I wouldn't mind the idea of her and Kyo. Unfortunately, her personality bothers me way too much... it's only in the last few episodes that she stops being a source of comic relief, and even then she shares more romantic moments with [i]Yuki[/i] (of all people!) than she does with Kyo.

.....Heheheh. The shonen-ai fangirl strikes again!

Your turn, dearest. ^_~

~Dagger~