OtakuBoards

Movie Previews

satan665

There was once a time when I really hated being late to a movie because I always wanted to see the previews. Now they kinda irritate me.

1) commercials: The only movie theatre where I live that doesn't show TV commercials before the previews is the little independent movie theatre. Really it is starting to get silly the amount of commercials before the previews. I am getting used to an average of five commercials before the previews start!

2) bad previews: Almost every movie seems to have the same two guys narrating the preview, those guys must be rich. But worse than that is the super-fast editing technique, where they cut between scenes super fast so everything looks exciting. That is the number 1 thing that makes me want to see a movie less and less every time I see the preview.

Also have you seen movies that looked horrible when you see the preview, but end up watching it sometime anyway and they're actually good. Signs and Unbreakable are two good examples for me.

3)Good previews: The 28 days later one was excellent (just showed some of the opening scene)

What do you all think? Still love the previews? Hate em? show up late to avoid them?

And what do you think are some of the cooloest previews?

(sorry about all the ranting)

Oh I have hated previews in a movie theater, and I still do. In the theaters I have, they show like ten movie previews about other movies before the movie you want to see. It ticks me off so bad, I just want to get up and leave. I remember this one time when I was a 9 I went to see the Powerpuff Girls Movie, and they showed a Dexter's Laboratory short which ticked me off so bad until it got interesting.
The only movie previews I can stand have to be for horror movies, I'm a big horror movie fan. They have suspense and it looks so good.
But anyway, I hate the previews before the movie and I think I always will unless they are horror ones.
I never usually see commercials...oh yeah I now remember. It was one about Mariah Carey...weird.

[size=1] How can you hate movie previews? The last move I saw, they showed previews for that Russell Crowe movie that is coming out, the next Lord of the Rings movie, and the next Matrix movie. What's not to love?

I guess some of you just aren't true to movie. You see, movie's really a swell guy when you're swell to him. Movie is a patient man, like Santa Clause only he comes to us each year many times a year.

Ho ho ho! And some whores too! And a garden hoe to hoe the weedless little bigots that don't like movie previews! On womanizer, on sexer, on dasher, on bitcher, away!!!!!!

Ho ho ho.

[b]Note: This post not endorsed by the Nation Woman's Association for Mutilated Chickens.[/b][/size]

I'm not of fan of the previews myself. I think they kind of show a little to much now and days. They practically tell the enitre plot and after they do that they show the best scenes out of the movie. A prime example is the Matrix Reloaded they told us the plot and showed all of the good scenes in the preview so when I went to the movies to see it I wasn't really surpirsed at all.

On the other hand they do give you time to buy snacks and might help you decide your next flick but I just show up late just to miss them.

[color=green]I am [i]really[/i] tired of seeing the [b]entire[/b] movie in the previews. I work in a video store, and now, more often than not, especially with comedies, if someone asks about a ccertain movie, all I have to say is, "Did you see the preview? Yes, then you've seen all the good (or funny) parts."

I hate it when I miss the trailers, though. They usually turn out to be the best part of the movie theatre experience for me. I agree, though, that commercials do not belong in the theatre!!! BOO commercials, stay on the TV in the living room where I left you![/color]

[color=silver][font=times new roman][b] Yeah I agree that commercials have utterly no place in movie theaters. There obnoxious to say the least, Commercials are for TV...Thats one of the reasons why I used to love theaters...No annoying ads.

But I do like previews...I just like to know whats coming and what to look forward to(Or not in some cases :rolleyes: )

regal is the worst right now...They cram so much junk in front of movies its getting tiresome. Movie theaters need to go back to just showing movies and the previews. [/color][/font][/b]

Meh, previews in movies dont bother me too much, but I miss the days where the only time they'd show previews is while folks are getting seated in the theaters. You know, when they're gettin their popcorn, and stuff, goin to the rest rooms, and all that other stuff you do before the actual movie starts. And by the time everyone sits down, the movie is just about ready to start. But sometimes for the unfortunate, you miss the intro to the movie(like I did with "Transformers: The Movie", and "Friday The 13th pt. 8. :( ). But I guess they go ahead and wait until everybody's seated now before they show previews first so no one will worry about missing the intros to the movies. -_-

But sometimes, they do pretty good on the previews. I'll never forget when I saw the preview to Spiderman. That preview actually had me wanting to watch the movie. But sometimes, they'll show previews to a movie that isnt coming out for another year or so, and I for one dont like that. And every now and then, they'll show a preview of a movie that doesnt even make it to the theaters(thats a rarity, but it happens).

Oh well, guess we'll have to deal with it. But whatever happened to the "Concessions" commercials before the movie starts? The ones where it has the popcorn and raisenets singin, and then here comes the Coke bustin outta nowhere with a freestyle. lmao That definetly mad you want to ask your mom(if you were a kid back in those days. I was between 6 and 10, so yeah)to get you some candy and popcorn. Oh boy, the late 80's/early 90's commercials. Cant mess with those concession's commercials. ^_^

I don't know how anyone could get the entire plot from the Reloaded previews... unless you think "plot" just means showing who fights who and random vague comments lol. There was a lot more to it than that.

I do agree that they show too much though. However, it's kind of always been like that based on my experience. Some trailers do it right, some don't... same as always. I think the LotR trailer are successful because they show enough to get you interested, but ruin very little.

I've been going to the movies rather often lately and previews never really annoy me. I rarely see the same previews at each screening... and after awhile the trailers are changed as well. The Haunted Mansion is a good example. I've seen two different trailers for that now (although it still looks terrible, mostly because of Eddie Murphy -- he almost always plays the same character ever since Beverly Hills Cop).

The commercials are annoying though. You usually see the exact same ones all the time. I saw those M&M ones a million times, the Fandango ones... it never ends.

Trailers have been a part of the movie experience since theatres became popular and started popping up around the country. Even in the days of black & white films before television, you'd see the news, a short cartoon, the feature film, and then the trailers/previews. The only difference is that now they show the trailers before the movie instead of after (so people don't walk out of the movie as soon as the credits start rolling).

They [i]do[/i] have a habit of showing too many of them, but you're a captive audience encouraged to stop talking. They're taking advantage of your undivided attention, and they'll never have that kind of opportunity on television.

Anyway, I don't think the previews will be going anywhere. Although hopefully, the motion picture association might regulate the length or amount of them in the future. Who knows.

[color=#707875]I personally like to watch the trailers, because sometimes I see something that is very unexpected.

But I also agree that they show too much. Some of the best scenes from Reloaded were shown during trailers...and I think that hurt the movie. It killed any sense of surprise.

Having said that, I somewhat like the trailers also for the fact that if I turn up a bit late...I know the movie hasn't started. lol

I am absolutely paranoid about getting to the movie on time, even though I'm often in allocated seating. o_O;[/color]

Yeah, really the saving grace of previews is that they give you about an extra 25 minutes to get to your movie. Its rough if you come in early and sit and wait watching the really awful trivia slides. I mean its not like I want to talk to the person I'm with (kidding).

I think its kinda a big personal bias for me, as I get older I hate advertisement more and more. Reading some of the adbusters material doesn't help much either. I was real excited to see the Lord of the rings trailers way back when though, so I'm not totally lost.

Loew's Theatre in Cherry Hill, NJ. Worst. Theatre. Ever.

I went to see T3 a few months ago. T3 was said to start at 4:45 pm. We got there at 4:30 pm. The movie previews didn't start until 5:15, and T3 started at 5:30 pm. 30 minutes of commercials. 30 minutes. For products that I will never use, never buy, never want. Shampoo, cars, jeans, WTF. lol. On top of that, hip-hop muzak played the entire 30 minutes of commercials.

Theatres need to get back to the late 80s/early 90s, a time when going to the theatre actually meant going to the theatre and not watching TV. Whatever happened to the days when we could go see Ghostbusters and not get boggled down with Pepsi ads and some guy hogtying a car? I live in propaganda for the most part, and spew it right back at political activists and religists, but I really don't want a product like Isotoner gloves being shoved in my face when I'm going to see X2.

Down with commercials in theatre. Down with Capitalism. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I love the previews! Well, i agree with some of you people in saying how some previews ruin the whole movie. But, for a lot of adventure movies i love seeing the theatrical trailers and also i love seeing trailers at the movies of movies that i want to see. It just gets me prepared for what they're going to be like and stuff. It also kinda gives me my "dose" of that movie, especially if its something that is based on a book i really love. Like "Harry Potter", i neeeed harry potter!! It just kinda fills me so im satisfied for the moment of Harry Potter. lol. Speaking of which, that theatrical trailer for Harry Potter gave me goosebumps. lol. ok, im stopping about Harry now.

I also agree with hating that super fast editing stuff. aghhh!!
alright, there you go.

Guest rttocs77
I absolutely love the movie previews before a movie. I like to know what else is comming out soon. It doesn't bother me, in fact it in a way helps me, and it is good advertisement for the production companies.

I am getting irked at the fact that movie theaters have started playing commercials before the trailers. I really find it hard to beleive that after paying $10 to see a movie that they still need to advertise from other companies.