OtakuBoards

The TY Beanie Baby Craze!

Queen Asuka

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, this is definitely a nice reflection on times of old, heh. ^_^

When I was in middle school, my mom bought me my first TY Beanie Baby, Nip the Cat. I was so EXCITED! After that, I found out that there were more in the cat series and I wanted them all badly. My mom would go out and buy a new one when she could.

This was back when the retired Beanie Babies were worth LOTS of money. Some were worth HUNDREDS of dollars, all for a little stuffed animal that costs $6.

I had a close friend whose mom collected a BUNCH of them. She had a ton of the retired ones. It was neat. But I was so obsessed with my Nip. In the 6th grade, I tied a leash around his neck, stuck him on a piece of paper on the ground, and pulled him around. In 7th grade, my best friend got the female, Snip, and we had a wedding for them, all of our friends bringing their own Ty Beanie Babies. It was pretty cute...heh.

Now I still have Nip. He's in pretty bad condition, though. His whiskers are gone, his tag (both) are long gone, he's not soft but fuzzy, and his eye is scratched up. Once his tail fell off and alot of his beans fell out.

YESTERDAY, a friend of mine gave me his entire collection of all the beanie cats. I already had four out of the six, but one of them was Nip. And his nip, despite his heart-shaped tag being missing, was in almost mint condition. It warmed my heart...heh.

I still collect these precious Ty Beanie Babies. I wont even buy other brands, I'm so weird like that. So does anyone else besides me collect?

[center][img]http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/otakupictures/nip.gif[/img]
His name is Nipper, but we call him Nip
His best friend is a black cat named Zip
Nip likes to run in races for fun
He runs so fast he's always number one![/center][/color][/size]

I used to. my first one was Tabasco the bull. I remeber I had brought him to school and then lost him. I was so sad, but my mom went out and got me a new one. I have a bag of them in my closet. A few used to sit on top of my mirror, but I think they are int he bag now. My fav has to be a rat I got after a big flood where i live. We had a 500 year floor (one that occurs every 500 year, not lasts) and this was a beanie babie revored from a store in the flood (cleaned and sanitized, of course). He's so cool. I think I have about 30 beanie babies in all. Im not sure. I do remeber getting them for good grades too. It was cool.

Wow, I have about 50 of them in my closet. I was in 4th/5th grade when the craze hit, and I ended up buying a lot of them. I also got quite a few of them as gifts. I even have a beanie baby handbook that says how much they were worth.

It's been a while since I've even thought about beanie babies. I remember saying that I was going to keep them around for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. It's been quite a few years since I've even looked at them now.

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by XeEmO [/i]
[B]Wow, I have about 50 of them in my closet. I was in 4th/5th grade when the craze hit, and I ended up buying a lot of them. I also got quite a few of them as gifts. I even have a beanie baby handbook that says how much they were worth.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was in 4th grade when it hit my school hard. Our teacher let us bring in portions of our collection to put on our desks. I still have like 70 of them. Are they still worth a lot of money? Could I sell them and make some good drug money...oh I mean extra cash?

[color=darkblue]I am officially envious of you know, Tori.

I used to love those things, especially all the cat ones. The only one I ever got was Amber, but I still have her, and she's mint condition. I never once played with her. Just held her a lot. She still lays on my computer to this day. My other cat, a plush from Toys 'R' Us' Animal Alley has kind of brushed her out of the way, lol. ^^;[/color]

I collected them in 6th and 7th grade. I spent a lot of money on those things, too. My favorite was the Kiwi... it had really cool "fur". I was so obsessed that when I was going on a trip, I had my next-door neighbor take care of my Beanie Babies which I kept in a huge basket.

At first, I used to rip the tags off (and keep them) until everyone started making a big deal about them being worth tons of money. I wasn't expecting to ever sell mine, but I started leaving the tags on after that anyway.

My cat used to steal them out of my room and throw them all over the house because he likes the sound of the beans. So, I started to keep the basket under a blanket which later became in the closet when he found out where they were.

The beanies now reside in my bottom drawer of my dresser at home where they have been for at least 3 years now. Still in good condition, too!

[color=deeppink]YES! I [i]love[/i] Nip, he was one of my first AND favorites!

I'm not at all ashamed to say that I collected Beanie Babies, and I still have a large part of my collection. I sold a lot of them when the craze died down, simply because there were a bunch that I didn't really like. I kept my favorite 20 or so, mostly ones like cats, bears, unicorns, and other pretty animals. They have resided on the self that runs around the top of my room until this summer, when I was home from college and had to pack up all of my things. Now they are all in a dark box, waiting to be moved to a new house.

I was in 7th grade when I got my first one; Weenie? I think his name was. He was a brown weiner dog, and I still have him. I got him for my birthday, and then received the purple hippo that same day from a friend. I was so hooked after that.

Who can deny the utter cuteness of Beanie Babies? I can't ^_^;[/color]

[color=silver]I didnt actually collect Beanie Babies myself, however, my brother did. I used to like the idea of collectibles but I don't have the patience for activities such as these which is a shame really, heh, oh well.

I did like to pit them against my action men when I was little, they used to fight great battles on remote control jeeps while I drove them out my bedroom window. Ahhh, good days. *Coughs*

I have a friend who used to have over 100 of them and he used to place them in plastic containers, I found the price ripped us all off but then again, all crazes rip us off.

Hmm, I'm contemplating whether to get my mother's pumpkin Beanie Babie now. I apologise for not knowing the names.[/color]

[font=arial][color=336600]I had several of the cats--Zip, Snip, Flip, maybe Nip...I don't know, all their "ip" names got a bit muddled in my mind.

I remember giving the things as gifts sometimes--they were only five dollars, and everyone seemed pleased with them, heh.

After a little while, I gave all of my better-condition ones to a local secondhand toy shop.

I think I still have the coolio dragon one, though. Scorch? Yeah. He is utterly spiff.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]Ooh! I want the handbook that says how much they were worth...How much was the series of cats worth? I have Nip, Zip, Chip, Snip, Prance, and Pounce. ^_^[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

For some reason I had the book on my desk. Here's you're requested information:
-----------------------------------------
Values are reduced up to 50% unless mint condition/mint tag

[b]Nip[/b]:

white face
1998 value $350
estimated 2008 value $1,500

all gold
1998 value $750
estimated 2008 value $2,500

white paws
1998 value $30
estimated 2008 value $100

[b]Zip[/b]:

version 3
1998 value $5
estimated 2008 value $60

white face
1998 value $350
estimated 2008 value $1,500

all black
1998 value $1,250
estimated 2008 value $3,000

[b]Chip[/b]:

1998 value $5
estimated 2008 value $60

[b]Snip[/b]:

1998 value $5
estimated 2008 value $60

[b]Prance[/b]:

1998 value $5
estimated 2008 value $60

[b]Pounce[/b]:
1998 value $5
estimated 2008 value $60

-----------------------------------

The handbook also contains other useless info such as all the beanie baby poems, pictures, beanie baby hunting tips, and more. It was made in 1998 so it only has the beanie babies up until that point.

When exactly did the beanie baby fad die? I don't remember seeing very many, if any, after 98.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Flip the cat is my absolute favorite one, and one that I don't have. He's a solid white one, that looks like the rest in the series. I knew that I was forgetting one...and now that I see it, I'm about to go make a tour of Ebay, heh.

And Jenna, I got Happy the Hippo for my birthday, too! My cousin gave it to me. Isn't that neat?

Of the older ones I have Tiny the Chihuahua, Tuffy the Terrier, Pugsley, and some others. And then I have Princess [the Princess Diana bear], the pink Sherbet bear, Fancy the new white kitty, and some others that have left my mind as of now...

Alot of mine have tag protectors. Some don't have tags, though, which is sad on my part.

I also collect the Beanie Buddies, which are the big stuffed animal ones. I have Angelina and Cheery the bear. I want the Sakura bear that's circulating right now.
[center][img]http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/otakupictures/flip.gif[/img]
Flip the kitty! ^_^[/center]

And I can't believe they were only worth that price, lol. Oh well, $5 is still good enough for me. ^_^[/color][/size]

Does anyone remember the "teenie beanie" babies from McDonalds? I tried to get one on several occasions but McDonalds was out of them. I think they sold them twice, the second time with different beanies, because it was so successful the first time.

I was so jealous of a friend, because her sister worked at McDonalds and got her one of each. She also got the Christmas version of Teddy before I did. I ended up getting Christmas Teddy as a late Christmas present from my aunt.

[color=green][size=1]
*Shniffle* Yes, of course I remember! I used to LOVE beanie babies, which is weird cuz I'm a guy... (I still love them to today). I want all the birdies but I've still got a longs way to go. Here's the ones I DO have (in alphabetical order too! :D).

[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/163_lg.gif]Ants[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/173_lg.gif]Blizzard[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/216_lg.gif]Flip[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/221_lg.gif]Freckles[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/279_lg.gif]Nuts[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/282_lg.gif]Paul[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/288_lg.gif]Pinchers[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/302_lg.gif]Rex[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/318_lg.gif]Seaweed[/url]
[url=http://www.ty.com/images/products/331_lg.gif]Speedy[/url]

I have other's that are exactly like beanie babies in every way except... they're not. But ya, so feel free to talk to me about my babies! :D I love dem so much, I treat them like Human Beings... sorta.

-Lrb[/color][/size]

Oh I loved the beanie babies!! :love: They were so adorable!
Yeah, and I remember the beanie babies from McDonald's. Half of my beanie babies are from McDonald's.
I had the millenium bear, U.S. bear, and I believe there's a German and Spanish bear. I'm not sure, better look for that basket in my sister's room.
I still love my goldfish one, the one with the big lips. I believe it's name is lips.

My friend's room is covered in beanie babies. She has a 4-floored shelf filled with beanie babies of all different sizes, a shelf near her cieling full of more beanie babies. She probably could sell them once she got older to pay things off. She probably has a million dollars worth of beanie babies.

[color=hotpink][size=1]I have a few of the Teeny Beanies from McDonald's. They are in my basket of stuffed animals that I brought here to college from home. When I was moving into my apartment a lady saw me carrying my basket in. She said "Bring all the essentials?" and I said "I couldn't leave home without 'em. " ^_^ I bid on a Flip the Cat from Ebay. The shipping was $4.00 (ridiculous...), but the beanie is only $1.00 as of now. ^_^ So yes, I may have her soon! And then my collection will be complete! (I think...)

And Kenneth, they're not worth anything anymore, I don't think...[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]And Kenneth, they're not worth anything anymore, I don't think...[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]*amused* They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Flip the cat, for example, is worth at least one dollar, seeing as that's what you bid for him.

I just realized that I actually have some other beanie babies right now--it seems that I collect monkeys, and I have three or four monkey-shaped ones.

Hm, are there any pandas out? Because pandas are cool as well, heh.[/FONT]

Guest Schultzie
I was on a vacation in Fla when the McDonalds beanie baby thing happened. When we got back home to Ill, some lady told my mom that if the car was unlocked, she would have taken the Flamingo (those were hard to come by at home). What a B!*#@.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by XeEmO [/i]
[B]Wow, I have about 50 of them in my closet. I was in 4th/5th grade when the craze hit, and I ended up buying a lot of them. I also got quite a few of them as gifts. I even have a beanie baby handbook that says how much they were worth.

It's been a while since I've even thought about beanie babies. I remember saying that I was going to keep them around for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. It's been quite a few years since I've even looked at them now. [/B][/QUOTE]

I also have that handbook.

I got into it in 4th grade when they would give them away in happy meals at McDonalds. When I was in 6th grade someone bought me that handbook. I went through that thing who knows how many times.

In 7th grade my aunt bought my brother and I each one. I got Halo and he got Scortch. I also bought the sea horse. After that I don't think we got many more.

I still have most of my TY's but there packed away somewhere unknown right now.

I remember driving around town all night trying to get all the tennie beanie babies that mc.d's. had! We used to have competitions in my family to see who could get all of them! I have so many it'd take forever to name them all. But I am proud to say i have ALL the cats! yes! all of them! in original mint condition! The cats where always my fav, i think it's cuz they are all just so darn cute!!! my mom went out and bought the Princess Di one. she's in a box setting on our entertainment center. Mom used to collect the bears, and she's always like horses, so every year i buy her a new one, just to keep her collection going. I don't know what i'd do without my beanie babies! i'm going to be rich some day!!!! :)