OtakuBoards

The Haunted Mansion

Fyxe

[size=1][color=darkblue]Has anyone seen the Haunted Mansion? I just saw it a few hours ago and I must say it was pretty good. Disney has been making some pretty good and interesting ones lately, take Pirates of the Caribbean for example.
The Haunted Mansion delivered a good amount of laughs to me and many of the special effects where quite good. I also liked the plot. But at first I had no idea it was rated PG-13, but I found out it was for violence and language. Really at first I thought it looked like a stupid kiddy movie, but my sisters got me to come along and I left quite saticfied.
So, who has seen it? Did it please you or highly disapoint you?[/color][/size]

The movie itself doesn't seem terrible. Typical popcorn flick, I guess. I might have considered letting someone drag me to see it.

However, it has Eddie Murphy. This man is like my kryptonite. He's been playing the same character since Beverly Hills Cop. It never ends and every year it just gets less and less funny (with a few random highlights).

I remember seeing the previews. You know how in comedy previews they pause after a joke for effect? I assume to get people to laugh a bit... They did that for this constantly, but I couldn't even crack a smile. Nothing about "Wait until after I leave before the dark spirits come out!!" or "Put me back down on the ground now!" is remotely funny.

So I doubt I'll bother.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]However, it has Eddie Murphy. This man is like my kryptonite. He's been playing the same character since Beverly Hills Cop. It never ends and every year it just gets less and less funny (with a few random highlights).
[/B][/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true. Anything Murphy has touched within the past two years has been [i]terrible.[/i] [i]Pluto Nash[/i] anyone? [i]Daddy Daycare?[/i] Well, there was the possible exception of [i]Shrek.[/i]But, for the most part, his voice is obnoxious and I've grown tired of his character. It's loud and thoroughly unfunny.

[i]The Haunted Mansion[/i] isn't something I'll be seeing. It does have some potential, but it'll most likely rely on a constant string of sight gags that I won't find amusing. It may appeal to younger audiences, but from where I stand, it's likely to be mediocre at best. The [i]Scary Movie[/i] series has pretty much cornered the market of satirizing horror flicks anyway.

[quote][i]By Charles[/i][b]
Pluto Nash anyone? [/b][/quote]

A.K.A. Biggest Bomb in cinema history. (They spent something like $100 million and earned very little, but I can't remember the amount).

Anyway, I'm going to hop on the bandwagon and say that I'll not be attending the theatre to see this movie. When I first saw this in a preview before The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (criticize me if you may), I sighed heavily, watching the last of Eddie Murphy's career go down the drain.

I agree that Haunted Mansion wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Lately, Murphy has been getting in some poor films, but I did like haunted Mansion. The plot was pretty good and it did have some good laughs here and there, even though it was rated PG13 it was still a kid movie. This is Disney were talking about, so far, the only movie they have made that isn't a kid movie is Pirates of the Caribbean.

The special affects of the Haunted Mansion were very good as well. I personaly like kid movies, i'v been a Disney fan ever sense I was a little kid, so, I don't have to complain about, but Murphy is losing his touch.

I doubt I'll go see this, but I have to say I'm impressed with the way Disney can come up with movies that actually have a storyline when they're only based off a ride in their park. I think that given with what they started with, an amusement park ride with basically no plot, they're pretty skilled at doing a lot to make the movie versions interesting.

I saw the movie and it was decent.

The ambience of the entire movie was pretty good; the entire movie looked quite stunning to me and every detail contributed to the atomsphere of the mansion.

The movie itself was pretty much basic stuff. I was ready to kill Eddie Murphy's character by the end of the movie (I probably would've if he had said Evers and Evers along with that cheesy grin one more time). The story was okay: family problems, haunted house, [spoiler]happy ending.[/spoiler] Yay.

I did see a funny preview for Shrek 2, though I'm not sure how much can be done with [spoiler] Shrek and Fiona's honeymoon.[/spoiler]

[size=1]I haven't seen this yet, and I don't expect to. I just like the ride too much and him too little. I would hate to go back to Disney and get on the Haunted Mansion and sit there the entire time, thinking of Eddie Murphy. [i]That's[/i] scary.[/size]

I saw the movie. Let me tell you, it was great, funny, and wicked amazing. The settings and story plot were perfect. Also, the characters were cool. I knew Eddie Murphey wouldn't let me down. When it comes to Murphey in a scary movie, humor's always there. He's so crazy!!!!!!

Cool movie; and funny ghosts. (Especially the singing statue heads.) :laugh: :laugh: I laughed so hard, I could barely breathe.:bellylol: :rotflmao:

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#707875]I think that Eddie Murphy is a pretty clever/creative guy. His Nutty Professor movies were pretty well done and his creative work on other things (he starred in some claymation thing recently...I forget the name) has been pretty good.

Of course, he's also done a lot of awful stuff. It's almost like he's been trying to plaster his face everywhere. It's disappointing.

I don't expect much from this movie. Most critics have canned it; but I don't like movie critics anyway. They take things too seriously and they're usually cynical about everything.

I might possibly rent it when it's on DVD...but that's about it. I can't say that I'm really looking forward to it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]I fell asleep during the movie.... I did... I honestly fell asleep during this garbage.... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=violet]That doesn't say much for me. My husband fell asleep during Speed and a battle buddy of his fell asleep during How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
However, with movies like Mona Lisa Smile and LOTR Return of the King coming out. I think I'll wait until it comes out on video.
as for garbage, Scary Movie 3. That movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with a straw.[/color]