Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Feel my wrath and fear me, for I, Dragon Warrior, have made my first midi. And I are proud, I are. I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but Desbreko suggested it and I said "He must be right" :<

Here it is: [URL=http://myimages.fourvalve.com/dragonwarrior/dasong2.mid]Peaceful Clockwork[/URL]

C&C, pwease.
Posted
I'm no expert on music, but that was pretty good. It may have just been my computer, but it sounded a little weird at some points. (10 secs- 20 secs into it) *Still listening to it* I like it though, and this tune will be stuck in my head for many days to come.
Posted
[color=teal]Well, it certainly illustrates your artistic ability in the form of music, heh.

So you actually put this entire midi together from scratch, or what? I didn't even know you could [i]make[/i] a midi like that, so it's rather hard for me to comment on it. I think the tune and beat is very catchy and smooth, and it flows together extremely nicely. You keep that solid beat playing in the background as you play over it with lots of clever sounds. The only thing I can find that needs improvement is that the song sort of shuts off at the end, whereas you a need a smooth transition into nothing-ness.

Again, this is the first of its kind I've seen posted here, so I'm not really sure what I'm critiquing, but I like it. ^_^[/color]
Posted
MIDIs are made in several ways. You could feed a synthesizer directly into the computer... which is the main one. But there are also programs that allow you to play them with your keyboard or piece stuff together.

Not bad for a first try.
Posted
That's pretty good, in my opinion. It still seems a little plain though, not much emotion. It's a great midi, but stuff like Vegeta's Theme and Blue Velvet from theOtaku.com are more my tastes because they're very emotional and stuff.
Posted
I used to do MIDI composition, but gave it up a while ago. I can say that for your first go, you're definitely better than I was for my first try.

I do however have a few suggestions.

-Try exploring out of the key of C. I realise that this may be easy to work in, but pieces will be more harmonically interesting if in another key. I say so because C is a very common key and so many, many dull melodies come out of it. That's my opinion anyway - I personally love working in minor keys.
- Instead of creating counter melodies, try giving your accompaniments stronger harmonic and rhythmic roles e.g. your String Ensemble 1 in layer 2 could be harmonised in an SATB* form.
- Vary your theme more. At the moment it's only based around a 2 bar theme which can only get you so far. If you want it be more interesting create some different melodic ideas and try to incorporate them. Alternatively you could keep your theme as a riff-like role (like you have) and give your accompaniments stronger melodic roles ie. make them louder and more significant.
- Put in a sequence. This is more of a personal recommendation again because I love a good sequence. A sequence is where you repeat a melodic phrase at a different pitch. It's a simply technique which can be quite effective. I've attached a simple melodic sequence (in a zip file) to give you an idea of what I mean.
- Intervals - One feature of melody writing you missed out here was the ability to explore intervals greater than a second or a third. Don't be afraid to take the occasional big leap (e.g. a fourth or a fifth) in your melodies.

These are a couple of points I can think of at the moment. If you need any elaboration or perhaps some more advice, PM me.

*SATB - Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass. This term actually applies more to chorale writings, but the same principles of harmony can be applied to the string sections of an orchestra.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B][color=teal]Well, it certainly illustrates your artistic ability in the form of music, heh.

So you actually put this entire midi together from scratch, or what? I didn't even know you could [i]make[/i] a midi like that, so it's rather hard for me to comment on it. I think the tune and beat is very catchy and smooth, and it flows together extremely nicely. You keep that solid beat playing in the background as you play over it with lots of clever sounds. The only thing I can find that needs improvement is that the song sort of shuts off at the end, whereas you a need a smooth transition into nothing-ness.

Again, this is the first of its kind I've seen posted here, so I'm not really sure what I'm critiquing, but I like it. ^_^[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Woohoo! First midi posted!

Ahem... yeah. I made this from scratch using a program called Anvil Studio. I made it for my video game I'm making on my computer and I wanted an original soundtrack. Actually, this won't be in the game since I simply made it to test out my skills as a midi composer. But, yes. It's quite possible to make them.

And thanks for the tips, The Mac Attack. I'll keep them in mind when making my next song.
Posted
I think its pretty cool actually. The only thing I have something to gripe about is the ending, its a little bit too abrupt. Other than that I think its great, reminds me of the old FF games on the SNES and what not.
Posted
[COLOR=indigo]I'm no where near a midi expert or anything, but I've had your song playing for the past hour so heh ^^

Personally I love it, it sorta reminds me of like Zelda for some reason. *shrugs* *thumbs up*[/COLOR]
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]Its neat. At some parts, its almost oriental. I love it. I didn't think making a .Midi like this was possible. And you can add me to the list of people who have been listening to it for an hour. Nice job, you should make more.

Congrats on the first post of the .MIDI dealio.

-Kitty[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...