OtakuBoards

What are you going to do?

Patronus

[size=1][color=blue]So. I was bored and I was thinking, 'What do I want to do when I graduate college?'. I've thought this through before, and my first choice is to be a journalist. I love writing and getting into the action. If not that, I want to be a professor of cultural beliefs. You know, Mayan, Incan, Greek, Roman and such.

What colleges? I want to go to NYU or OSU - both are good colleges.

What about you?[/color][/size]

[size=1]Well, I know i'm only in 7th grade, but I have thought about what i want to be and what i want to do. After graduating from collage... (Depending what I decided to be) I will either try to become an animator or I will try to get into some movies as an actress. I don't really know too many good or bad collages (Except for UOL-bad) but i do know that California has really good art collages their, Disney usually gets all of their animators from California, so, theirs a choice, and well, I don't really know any acting schools, but like I said, I'm only a 7th grader.[/size]

This year is my last in highschool and I only just finally decided what to do with myself a few months back. I'm becoming a photographer. I grew up though believing I would become a writer, and although I don't plan to quit on that I wanted to do more. I looked into animation for awhile as well. I've also wanted to become a film maker, lol. I'm all over the place, but after some thought and a brand new camera I went for photography. Now what I'm exactly going to do with photography I am not sure.

I've applied to four schools:

The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Columbia College Chicago
The School of the Museam of Fine Arts in Boston
Florida International University

What I really want is to go to The Institute in Chicago, and if all goes as planned that's what I'll do. FIU is what I [i]have[/i] to do if everything else falls through.

My initial plan was to get into John Hopkins U. and high-tail it out of New Jersey. That didn't go as well as I planned, so I'm just trying my best not to screw up when it counts (which is now).

Heh, I think people can do anything they want. Everyone's a "genius," but people just have varying degrees of laziness. That's what separates the successful from the failures.

Whatever you do, I urge you to not to get lazy or rest during the schooltime. I did that during my first school year in college, and I became what I always feared: a B student. From my experience, you are lazier when you live in a dorm than when you commute.

Thought I'd put that in there since I can't really comment on the topic directly. Wow I sound old...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by anatema [/i]
[B]I'm all over the place, but after some thought and a brand new camera I went for photography.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I'm glad to hear someone else from OB is on the same path as me ^_^. What type of camera did you buy?

I am currently in my second year at Brooks Institute of Photography for 'visual journalism', the new age term for photojournalism. I basically know that I'm going to be a photojournalist, which probably means I'll start out shooting as an intern for smaller newspapers and work my way up.

I'd be very content staying at a mid-size newspaper rather than working for something huge like the LA Times or Detroit Free Press. I prefer being laid back instead of being on the go all of the time. But seeing as how the photojournalism career is in constant motion, we'll just have to see what the future holds.

One thing I know is that I do love photojournalism :D[/color]

It's a FujiFilm FinePix A210. It's really not [i]all[/i] that, but compared to what we had before (which was nothing) and the price it's very nice. It's also the first camera I own all to myself so it's nice to be able to take it where ever I go instead of having to share it with the eleven ppl I live with. I'm currently saving up to buy a new, more professional one. Though, I'm not sure what yet.

The reason I finally decided photography was for me was because not only did I enjoy the act of taking pictures, but I also really like the idea of traveling. I've always found the idea of working for something like the National Geographic truly invigorating. I know that to get there would take a lot of work. But it's worth, I think. The degree itself will be hard to get since my parents aren't behind me in this decison at all. This will be a lot of blood and sweat on my part, but I'm completely willing.

[size=1][color=chocolate]Hm, I have been wondering this for a while. I had to answer the question to put in my 5th grade elementary school yearbook.

I don't know what college I plan to go to yet, but I want to be a veteranarian. (hard job, gotta work hard) I do love animals a lot, although new pet bird hates me. I know I need to go to vet school and such, but it's worth it.
If I can't be a vet, I'll probably be a writer. I love writing stories and such, although I suck at poetry.[/size][/color]

Well, lets see...

I want to be a shop assisstant at a crappy clothes store. Oh wait I have fulfilled my dream go me ¬_¬.

On a serious note I plan to go to university to study Ancient History & Archaeology. After that I plan to either become a professor in said subject, go onto a museum and work my way up in there or...hell I don't know maybe become a high school history teacher *shrugs*. Most likely I'll end up stacking shelves for a living.

[size=1]Im not sure what I want to do after college but I do know I want to go to USM (University of Southern Maine) theres no many possablities It will take me a long time to decide what im going to do.

I was thinking somthing to do with computers like computer graphics. or playing techno music.[/size]

[color=navy]All this year, I have had to answer this question and I could never decide what I wanted to do more, but, I know I'm only in 7th grade, I think I've made a decision.

I would really like to be an author. My English teachers say I'm perfect for it. I've actually already written a few stories about Grand Theft Auto and stuff related to that. Right now I'm writing a .hack//Sign Story.

I would also really like to be a professional rollerblader or a professional snowboarder. I started snowboarding last year and I would have snowboarded more that once last year but it didn't snow enough and this year so far it hasn't snowed much, only about an inch or two.

I've been rollerblading since I was about 7 years old so I've had a long time to get good at it. I started going to my hometown's skatepark shortly after it was built last year and started practicing rollerblading on ramps and on the quarter pipes. Unfortunately, we moved out in the middle of nowhere and I'm deprived of the sport I love but over this past summer I helped my step dad put together a small quarterpipe and well, I had an accident on it. Well, actually, it wasn't even on the quarterpipe, it was on the cracked cement in front of the quarterpipe so, that crossed rollerblading off my checklist of "things to do during the summer" but despite my small accident(I only broke my knuckled and fractured a bone in my hand, not [i]that[/i] serious) I still continue to dream of becoming a pro.

Colleges I would like to go to, well, I haven't really thought about colleges but I would like to go to CMU(Central Michigan University).[/color]

[size=1] I want to be a writer. Simple as that. But the type of writer that [i]I[/i] would like to be is seemingly not what most consider a "writer."

I'm not obsessive about my writing. I don't sit for hours and hours on end. But I do write good things when the inspiration comes--I do write good spur-of-the-moment things, which I think always end up becoming my best stories. A while back Alex (PT) mentioned that revision is a must. And I totally agree--I just simply think that raw writing that happens instantaneously makes the bare bones for something that, with a little revision, ingenuity, and work, can become great. Of course revision is a needed thing--but then again too much revision is possible as well.

Anyway, that's what I want to be. A writer. What kind of writer? I'd like to, at this point, mostly consider myself a poet--as Poe did, as many past authors have mostly conisdered themselves. Because poetry is something different--it's something that's so creatively-fueled that it works well for me. It's so easily bent to suit.

Sadly, I highly doubt that I shall become some great writer. From what Alex has said, I find that people are encumbered with a type of certain vision that writing must be. And that isn't what writing is to me--it is not something that is cut and dried, that is interdicted with rules. Writing to me is as much me as I can put down or say to someone. I cannot tell people well my feelings--but through writing--through that, I can. It's a catharsis at times. It's a friend at times. But most of all it is a personal tool I use. It is a personal thing--personalized endlessly to suit what I feel like saying. At times it is obtuse in what it says, other times not.

And the main thing that I feel matters most in writing is that there is heart there--that there is heart, and it is seen, and it is shown. Rules and organization in writing weaken this, cripple it--seize it. They make writing not one's own. As far as I am concerned, I do not care if I cannot use that in place of who, since who is to be used for people. I don't care. What I care is that I write from my heart--and that it is me, and not what some other person says.

Not that I'm not open to suggestions. And not that I wouldn't change things--but that is if I am to be published, then I would do that. If I was going to have, say, a book of poetry published, I would revise it all for better readability--I would change things to a certain askewness that gives it what it should be to the cold calculating governs of what people want to say that writing should be.

I have decided not to fret over college this year, nor to make it some large ordeal in the future. I don't care where I go to college at this point. I'll probably end up going to college here. At NDSU, or perhaps the college in Fargo. It doesn't matter to me at this point.

And at this point I see that I'll end up being a teacher. Not something I'm excited about. Teachers are underpaid, underappreciated. And it just isn't something I'm amazingly happy to do. If I had it my way, I'd just write poems all my life, or writing, and get it published. With no money or money, just as long as at the same time I had enough to keep food on my table.

I plan to major in English, perhaps minor in History. End up being a teacher, forced to it. I plan to hopefully, someday, get a book of my poems published, perhaps get known in a small way. We'll see.

And that's about as far as the rabbit hole goes so far, and that's as far as I want to think ahead.

Edit: I'd also like to learn to play the guitar, perhaps become a musician. Or a songwriter. Sing my poetry, weaving them into songs. Because music is another thing I love--and often is what catalysts me to writing. [/size]

I plan on going to Eastern Kentucky University to study forensics.Most likely forensic psychology(cant spell at 4:00 am).
The reason I decided to choose EKU over Tennesee is a) EKU is closer to where I live.b)I know the city like the back of my hand and c)I can mouch off of relatives who live near the campus.

off topic: Love the avi, Jaganshi!
on topic: I'll probably end up teaching at a high school and trying to write on the side. (I don't want to count on my books to support me until I get something published.) I'll likely teach English and/or History (part. ancient), hopefully to honors students. There's a chance I'll become an architect, I've got a knack for math.
~art~

-laughs- Oh, my plans for life...you know, when you're 5? Life seems so simple...

So, I had planned to be a vet...and then I wanted to be a marine biologist. It's like the curse of my generation...we all wanted to be marine biologists. And then, I turned 8 and I knew what I was going to be.

A writer. I was going to write books and make people happy. I was going to move up to my sister's, live in the loft above her garage, with my dog, and go to Kutztown U in PA, USA.

And then my sister realized the loft was unlivable. The inspectors almost condemned it. And she forbid me from having a dog. And Kutztown costed too much. And you know? I never really liked my sister anyway. She's mean and bitchy and the cause of most of my present day phobias.

But at least I knew I wanted to be a writer (a lot of us here, isn't there?).

Well, I stopped worrying about school so much. Actually, until my senior year, I totally forgot about college. And then life kinda said "Uh, you need to focus on me now!"

I applied to Burlington County, the local community college, and am currently attending winter break. Now, however, I'm faced with a dilema: I'm not sure if I have what it takes to be a writer. I'm pretty sure I don't...and when you're faced with having to give up on one of your childhood dreams, that's hard. It's heartbreaking.

So, I don't know what I'm doing with life. And I only have 12...13...15...16 months? Yes...16 months to find out what I'm doing, major in it, and graduate from BCC so that I can transfer to Rutgers and offically join Charles and PT in college.

I'm screwed. That's what my outlook on my professonal life is right now.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] And the main thing that I feel matters most in writing is that there is heart there--that there is heart, and it is seen, and it is shown. Rules and organization in writing weaken this, cripple it--seize it. They make writing not one's own. As far as I am concerned, I do not care if I cannot use that in place of who, since who is to be used for people. I don't care. What I care is that I write from my heart--and that it is me, and not what some other person says.

Not that I'm not open to suggestions. And not that I wouldn't change things--but that is if I am to be published, then I would do that. If I was going to have, say, a book of poetry published, I would revise it all for better readability--I would change things to a certain askewness that gives it what it should be to the cold calculating governs of what people want to say that writing should be.

And at this point I see that I'll end up being a teacher. Not something I'm excited about. Teachers are underpaid, underappreciated. And it just isn't something I'm amazingly happy to do. If I had it my way, I'd just write poems all my life, or writing, and get it published. With no money or money, just as long as at the same time I had enough to keep food on my table.

I plan to major in English, perhaps minor in History. End up being a teacher, forced to it. I plan to hopefully, someday, get a book of my poems published, perhaps get known in a small way. We'll see. [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahem.

1) An author can still put heart into a work when the work is highly structured. To say that structure weakens writing is preposterous. I suppose then, you're going to tell me that because The Graduate is heavily structured, that it's a weak novel?

That Heart Of Darkness is so dense and heavy, layered with depth, exploding with atmosphere and mood (i.e., structure), that it's inferior to some unfocused piece of ****?

Are you about to tell me that Russell Banks' "Sarah Cole: A Type Of Love Story" is inferior simply because it has such a specific narrative flow? That it locks itself into a modality of presentation and thus is substandard because you [i]think[/i] that because it adheres to guidelines or structured form, that it lacks heart?

Mitch, you're wrong. Structure does not weaken writing, nor does it weaken the heart. Saying "that there is heart, and it is seen, and it is shown. Rules and organization in writing weaken this, cripple it--seize it. They make writing not one's own" shows just how inexperienced one is. Want to disagree?

2) "I would change things to a certain askewness that gives it what it should be to the [b]cold calculating governs of what people want to say that writing should be[/b]."

Are you that self-removed? I mean, honestly. I'm asking. Are you [i]really[/i] that self-absorbed to think that the entire world is wrong? To think that the entire world is a cruel being that is going to kill you? You have to be really full of yourself to be treating the entire writing field like some evil, dominating beast. You're just afraid of the real world. Really, come out of the shell. It'll do you good.

3) Mitch, if that's your attitude towards teaching, get the hell out. We don't want you if you're "falling back" on teaching. Don't do us any favors, okay?

"And at this point I see that I'll end up being a teacher. Not something I'm excited about. Teachers are underpaid, underappreciated. And it just isn't something I'm amazingly happy to do."

and,

"I plan to major in English, perhaps minor in History. End up being a teacher, forced to it."

This is gonna sound cruel, but blow it out your ***. Dude, with that kind of attitude you're displaying, with that kind of predisposition to teaching, you make me sick, and I can guarantee you'd make a lot of Teacher Prep instructors/advisors/aides very sick, too.

Don?t even think about setting foot at the front of a classroom with your attitude towards teaching, all right?

Now, on-topic.

I was destined to be a teacher. I had always loved getting up in front of people, have always had a knack for it. Performance was a joy of mine, the feel of an audience just looking at you in awe as you worked the crowd, teaching them, entertaining them. It?s breathtaking. It really is. On top of that, I?m quite good at the English major. I have a definite knack for it. Simply, I will be a teacher because I love it. I have to share my mind with people. It would be such a waste if I didn?t.

Also, I?m thinking about getting a Doctorate in Educational Theory. I?ve got a few ideas and theories that can revolutionize (for the better) how schools operate. So, yeah. I?m going into Education. It?s going to be fantastic.

Of course, I?ll write on the side if the mood strikes me. If I get published, nifty. If not, hey, I?m doing something that I love.

I might also get into screenwriting again, provided I have the time, lol.

EDIT:

Mitch, you're an idiot. Go and cry about me calling you an idiot, too. Get the sympathy. But know deep down in your heart, you have no frigging idea what life is all about. You accuse me of being an Idealist? Who's saying what here?

[quote][i]Mitch[/i]
[b]Yes I am this self-removed. Yes I am self-absorbed to the point where I think this world is useless and cruel. And yes, the world shall kill me. I shall live in it, and by it, I shall die someday when I am old. I am afraid of reality. I am distant to reality. I stay in my mind all the time.

I don't think I'm full of myself. I see that I'm merely another person in the slew of things. Another useless being that is on this Earth for no reason at all. This is the way I see things. Deep down I'm more of a Naturalist than a Realist. I see the bad in most things. I don't believe in God. I feel that life is pointless--life is a ***** then you die. This is the way I see things. I am cynical.

You are an optimistic fellow, I am not. You seem more Idealist than Realist. That is not me. We are different people who view things in a different perception. And I can understand where you come from, because empathy is one of the things I feel.

But really, think about it. We live to work in this society as it says. And then what happens? We retire. And then what happens? We are rewarded for all our useless working with a death--an end--and what happens at the end no one knows. We assume that we know.

Enough of that anyway. Just see this: nothing you say will change what I think. I do see what you say, but I am stubborn. I shall stick to what I think and that is fine. Why even try to tell me differently? I'm just another human being that has the same exact potentials as you, or anyone had and once had.

Again, you speak the truth. And yes, I should come out of my shell. It would do me good. A good that serves no purpose.[b][/quote]

[quote][i]Mitch[/i]
[b]It depends on where things take me. I might end up being a teacher, I might not. Maybe I'll be a Journalist. Maybe I'll be a critic. Who knows. What's your point? I hate monotiny, so thus I'll hate pretty much any job I'm given. Working in general sucks no matter what you want to say. Being forced to do something sucks no matter what you say as well. Yes, my attitude is horrid, but bluntly, it's the cold truth. What is the point of teaching? Everything you teach shall just die anyway. Everything you teach most likely shall not remember what you have taught if it does not suit them. Most likely, most who enter your class are just the same as you or me or anyone--they're there so they can get a job doing someday what they love--writing. It depends though. If you teach high school level, you're a hell of a lot more prone to see kids in your class just because they have to. In college it's certainly a different case.

I think education is pointless. The more I know the more I don't want to know. I see that everything I learn is useless--it is created by the humans that made them. I see it as pointless to know all this when I could be some stupid person that knowns nothing that is happy in his ignorance. But of course this is not the case, and I am no longer happy--well, at least truly happy.

I would enjoy teaching on one level. I would enjoy teaching those people to who it matters. But this, more often than not, won't be the case if I teach high school. I know how mundane high school is. I hate education at this point. For all it's given me, I'd rather have it ripped away or never had.

Again: this is what I think. I see the negatives in things. You are not going to change what I think. I understand what you say, but at least give me my breathing room. I am an individual and I reserve this right with this post.

And what you have said is mostly true, and also what I have said is mostly true--at least to me.[/b][/quote]

Huhuh. Sure. [i]I'm[/i] really the Idealist here. Pfft. You live in a Fantasy world, accuse the entire world of being cold-hearted, and believe that you are the center of the entire writing universe, and YOU accuse ME of being an Idealist. You are indeed a moron. I'm the Realist here, Mitch. I see what needs to be done and I go do it. I don't resort to the idea that "oh, we're all going to die so it's not worth fighting for." **** that.

There was a South Park episode on...last week, maybe two weeks ago. Wendy broke-up with Stan and Stan reacts by going Goth.

You know what? Mitch, you're sounding [i]exactly[/i] like the South Park Goths. "Life is the villain. I only have darkness. I only have dread."

Grow up.

Oh, and if I [b][i]EVER[/i][/b] hear you talk about Education like that again, I swear to high heaven that I will not be held responsible for my actions.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
Ahem.

1) An author can still put heart into a work when the work is highly structured. To say that structure weakens writing is preposterous. I suppose then, you're going to tell me that because The Graduate is heavily structured, that it's a weak novel?

That Heart Of Darkness is so dense and heavy, layered with depth, exploding with atmosphere and mood (i.e., structure), that it's inferior to some unfocused piece of ****?

Are you about to tell me that Russell Banks' "Sarah Cole: A Type Of Love Story" is inferior simply because it has such a specific narrative flow? That it locks itself into a modality of presentation and thus is substandard because you [i]think[/i] that because it adheres to guidelines or structured form, that it lacks heart?

Mitch, you're wrong. Structure does not weaken writing, nor does it weaken the heart. Saying "that there is heart, and it is seen, and it is shown. Rules and organization in writing weaken this, cripple it--seize it. They make writing not one's own" shows just how inexperienced one is. Want to disagree?[/quote]

[size=1] Obviously you did not understand my intentions as I said them. I said that if someone is writing something, they should write it how they want--not by what grammar says, not by what other rules may be made. Examples: those little rules, such as use who instead of that when referring to a person--they don't matter to some immense extent. If someone wants to use that, then they can if they want. If someone doesn't want to use paragraphs, then they can.

I'm merely pointing to those things which seemingly are harped on. Such as, you can't use "you," "I," and so on, and how one must write in "standard essay form" when writing an essay. I hate these kind of things. They get in the way of my writing.

Alex, you're completely right. Structure doesn't cause writing to worsen--I was merely saying that a writer can use as much structure, as much grammatical rules, as they want, when they are simply writing something, and not getting it published. Upon publish, then they can change those things if it is so stated by their publishers.

It's a stupid thing to argue from the get-go. I was merely saying that I do not agree with rules, this is my opinion. And I also believe that simple little writing rules--such as one cannot use a noun as a verb, etc, shouldn't matter. If one is writing not for a publisher, then they shouldn't worry about this, but they should writer however they choose. Once set to publish--then they can change things as they are so asked by their publishers and what they say.

You're right to say what you're saying. But I believe you did take what I said too far, but I do commend you for saying what you have. Because you are right--structure [i]does[/i] heighten the writer. I was merely saying that sticking something as cut and dried is never the way I see things--I say let someone mess with language as much as they want.[/size]

[quote]2) "I would change things to a certain askewness that gives it what it should be to the [b]cold calculating governs of what people want to say that writing should be[/b]."

Are you that self-removed? I mean, honestly. I'm asking. Are you [i]really[/i] that self-absorbed to think that the entire world is wrong? To think that the entire world is a cruel being that is going to kill you? You have to be really full of yourself to be treating the entire writing field like some evil, dominating beast. You're just afraid of the real world. Really, come out of the shell. It'll do you good.[/quote]

[size=1] Yes I am this self-removed. Yes I am self-absorbed to the point where I think this world is useless and cruel. And yes, the world shall kill me. I shall live in it, and by it, I shall die someday when I am old. I am afraid of reality. I am distant to reality. I stay in my mind all the time.

I don't think I'm full of myself. I see that I'm merely another person in the slew of things. Another useless being that is on this Earth for no reason at all. This is the way I see things. Deep down I'm more of a Naturalist than a Realist. I see the bad in most things. I don't believe in God. I feel that life is pointless--life is a ***** then you die. This is the way I see things. I am cynical.

You are an optimistic fellow, I am not. You seem more Idealist than Realist. That is not me. We are different people who view things in a different perception. And I can understand where you come from, because empathy is one of the things I feel.

But really, think about it. We live to work in this society as it says. And then what happens? We retire. And then what happens? We are rewarded for all our useless working with a death--an end--and what happens at the end no one knows. We assume that we know.

Enough of that anyway. Just see this: nothing you say will change what I think. I do see what you say, but I am stubborn. I shall stick to what I think and that is fine. Why even try to tell me differently? I'm just another human being that has the same exact potentials as you, or anyone had and once had.

Again, you speak the truth. And yes, I should come out of my shell. It would do me good. A good that serves no purpose.[/size]

[quote]3) Mitch, if that's your attitude towards teaching, get the hell out. We don't want you if you're "falling back" on teaching. Don't do us any favors, okay?

"And at this point I see that I'll end up being a teacher. Not something I'm excited about. Teachers are underpaid, underappreciated. And it just isn't something I'm amazingly happy to do."

and,

"I plan to major in English, perhaps minor in History. End up being a teacher, forced to it."

This is gonna sound cruel, but blow it out your ***. Dude, with that kind of attitude you're displaying, with that kind of predisposition to teaching, you make me sick, and I can guarantee you'd make a lot of Teacher Prep instructors/advisors/aides very sick, too.

Don?t even think about setting foot at the front of a classroom with your attitude towards teaching, all right?[/quote]

[size=1] It depends on where things take me. I might end up being a teacher, I might not. Maybe I'll be a Journalist. Maybe I'll be a critic. [i]Who knows.[/i] What's your point? I hate monotiny, so thus I'll hate pretty much [i]any[/i] job I'm given. Working in general sucks no matter what you want to say. Being forced to do something sucks no matter what you say as well. Yes, my attitude is horrid, but bluntly, it's the cold truth. What is the point of teaching? Everything you teach shall just die anyway. Everything you teach most likely shall not remember what you have taught if it does not suit them. Most likely, most who enter your class are just the same as you or me or anyone--they're there so they can get a job doing someday what they love--writing. It depends though. If you teach high school level, you're a hell of a lot more prone to see kids in your class just because they have to. In college it's certainly a different case.

I think education is pointless. The more I know the more I don't want to know. I see that everything I learn is useless--it is created by the humans that made them. I see it as pointless to know all this when I could be some stupid person that knowns nothing that is happy in his ignorance. But of course this is not the case, and I am no longer happy--well, at least truly happy.

I would enjoy teaching on one level. I would enjoy teaching those people to who it matters. But this, more often than not, won't be the case if I teach high school. I know how mundane high school is. I hate education at this point. For all it's given me, I'd rather have it ripped away or never had.

Again: this is what I think. I see the negatives in things. You are not going to change what I think. I understand what you say, but at least give me my breathing room. I am an individual and I reserve this right with this post.

And what you have said is mostly true, and also what I have said is mostly true--at least to me.

And that's enough of that.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]I'm glad to hear someone else from OB is on the same path as me ^_^. What type of camera did you buy?

I am currently in my second year at Brooks Institute of Photography for 'visual journalism', the new age term for photojournalism. I basically know that I'm going to be a photojournalist, which probably means I'll start out shooting as an intern for smaller newspapers and work my way up.

I'd be very content staying at a mid-size newspaper rather than working for something huge like the LA Times or Detroit Free Press. I prefer being laid back instead of being on the go all of the time. But seeing as how the photojournalism career is in constant motion, we'll just have to see what the future holds.

One thing I know is that I do love photojournalism :D[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]I've considered taking up 'photojournalism' many times. Ever since I was younger I've always loved playing with my mommy's cameras, and took pictures of my kitty's or trees or something. My family thinks I take very neat 'perspective' pictures already, so I might consider this career a little bit more. Other then actually [I]taking[/I] the pictures, I would always like being in front of the camera. When I was younger, my step-dad would often videotape my birthday party's and such. I would always 'act' out my favourite Disney characters in fron of the camera ^_^; So I may consider taking up acting. I really can't decide.

Originally, I wanted to be a vet. Ever since I was little, I always admired my step-dad when he handled horses, big dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, etc. I've grown up around animals and I want to help them. But you need to work reeeally hard to graduate with good enough grades to become one. I don't think I can do that. But I'm going to try ^_^;;

Other then those 3 things, I've considered: Journalism, some sort of music based career, biology, law.

Law was originally one of my first choices. I was either going to become a lawyer or a vet. But now I realize I have other talents to base the rest of my life on.

-Kitty[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[color=#707875]Well, I guess I'm in a somewhat unique situation. I took two years off after high school, in order to work in industry.

What I really wanted to do was to become more involved in the video game industry. And for me, the most natural way of doing it was through journalism.

And in that sense, I've had my share of successes. My work has been published on the web, for a variety of sites. And my work has also been published in magazines. So although I find it very hard to judge my own work in any particular way, it was obviously considered to be palatable enough for editors to be interested in it.

Having said that, I do not consider myself to be a professional journalist by any measure. My experience is different from someone who is actually studying journalism as a profession. It's kind of like learning to drive a car entirely through practice and without necessarily knowing all the road rules. My ability to string two words together is really all I have ever relied on -- but it has taken time and experience to understand [i]how[/i] journalism works and what it's all about. It's something I never studied as part of a school career.

In terms of my ultimate career goals...I don't have a specific goal. There's nothing specific that I want to be or do. I want to continue to work in the video game industry, but not as part of the media. I'd like to work from the publishing end in particular and possibly the development side.

So that leaves a whole variety of things open to me. I'm very interested in marketing, public relations and human resources, for example. Those are all possible avenues.

But I'm also interested in graphic design, animation and project management. These areas are a bit less defined in terms of video games/electronic media. But they are areas that I'm studying right now, nonetheless.

On the whole point of writing...I could only tell you what I know from experience in industry itself.

I can possibly sit there and say "i'm g0ing 2 typ3 leik diz" -- and that might be my interpretation of language and it might be a creative or unique way to write. But it isn't [i]good[/i] writing.

The very best writers in existence tend to have been individuals who are able to actually write in English (ie: without making up a grammar set that is known exclusively to themselves), but who are able to use the basic tools of language to construct something extremely vivid and beautiful. It's definitely not easy -- for me to write a single article (especially in a magazine), I have to absolutely sit there and focus my energy on it. It's very exhausting for me, because I don't feel that my writing flows. My writing -- in terms of publishing -- is a very careful, calculated thing.

In many ways it's a question of marketing; a question of being able to take a message and transmit that to an audience. You want to get your point across in an entertaining or interesting way, but you also don't want to provide the answer to a question that nobody asked. You know?

So it's a tricky line to walk. It takes practice and education. Professors are not always right -- but their advice should definitely be listened to. Once you leave school, you really don't have the chance to call upon that knowledge and experience again. It's very useful, no matter what particular field you are studying.[/color]

Well, after high school (I'm a Senior this year, for those who care), I'll be heading off to college to study journalism. I was one of those kids whose career interest changed every week, but last year, I finally settled on journalism. This path just seems right to me, I suppose.

I've always had an infatuation with video games and have enjoyed reading through the various publications that have to do with video games (I've been an avid Electronic Gaming Monthly and Nintendo Power reader for years). I still have much to learn in the ways of journalism, obviously, but I feel that my writing is strong enough that I can break into the field and achieve my dream as it were.

In terms of actually getting my writing out there...well, I've posted some reviews for random message boards and recently published my first review for a webpage, so I think I'm progressing fairly well. Hopefully, my writing will continue to evolve and grow enough so that I can get what I've always coveted - a job in gaming journalism.

So, I suppose that answers the question. As for what college I'm going to...I'm still waiting to see if I got into my first choice, heh. I've already been accepted to Cal Poly Pomona (and I'm being considered for Honors, to boot), but if USC accepts me, I'll be heading off there, most likely. The only problem there is the expense...even though I'll be commuting, rather than living there, the expense is still up there. Yikes.

[COLOR=green]I've been thinking of majoring in History, probably American, and minor in some kind of education. I think it'd be great to be a teacher, getting to work with kids all day and just watching them learn. It?d be nice to know I am making a difference, contributing to someone's potential.

I've read what Mitch has written, and how PoisonTongue has responded, and I really don't care. Teachers have one of the best jobs out there. Getting to shape the future, and make an impact in the world would be an incredible experience. Sure, teachers don't get paid vast sums of money. I really don't care. Sure, I could always use more money, but making and spending money isn?t my goal in life. Teachers get paid enough to get by, and that?s all that matters.

I want a job that will be fulfilling, a job that I wake up happy to go to in the morning and interests me. Teaching, especially on the high school and college levels, is a rewarding job that I'd really like to pursue someday.

However, I'm only a sophomore, and a lot of things could change in two years...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred] well i like drawing and stuff so i want to do animation.
and i'd like to study abroad to japan in college..then maybe come back and get a job or just live there and get a job :3 i havent decided fully yet
but thats my plan for now.

[QUOTE]Teachers are underpaid, underappreciated. And it just isn't something I'm amazingly happy to do. If I had it my way, I'd just write poems all my life, or writing, and get it published. With no money or money, just as long as at the same time I had enough to keep food on my table. [/QUOTE]

o_O teachers are underpaid..but they do have a lot of benefits and they arn't that under appreciated. you just dont realize what a teacher does for you untill you are out of school and realize how much they have helped you.

and writings eh? i have to check out your poetry sometime.
but i am quite the critic o.<
and if thats what you want to do...then dont settle for something else.
do what you want and dream to do. o.<

and along with boba my career path might change in time though so you never know. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]

[quote]Mitch, you're an idiot. Go and cry about me calling you an idiot, too. Get the sympathy. But know deep down in your heart, you have no frigging idea what life is all about. You accuse me of being an Idealist? Who's saying what here?[/quote]

[size=1]Notice I said, and here [i]do[/i] I quote:[/size]

[quote]You seem more Idealist than Realist.[/quote]

[size=1]I did not say you are Idealist. I said you [i]seem[/i] more Idealist [i]than[/i] Realist. If you are going to rhetoric back at me, at least get it right, Sir Alex.

You're accusing me of not knowing what life is about? As far as I be concerned, [i]no one[/i] does know what life is about. So don't sit here and tell me I know nothing--I simply believe what I choose to believe.

As for me being an Idealist, as you seemingly point out? Get the tried-and-true knowing of [i]what[/i] an Idealist is. Because I am Naturalist. Everything I said in that post was spoken of that of a Naturalist. Naturalists believe life is bad I do. Naturalists don't believe in God. I do. Naturalists see life is a *****, and then you die. I do. Naturalists, overall, believe that we as humans are but dusts in the wind. That we aren't such great beings; that all the things we create die in the end, that all that we do is in vain. And this I do believe, and this is what I think, and if you want to say I am wrong, say it, because by saying I am wrong, you are wronged mostly your very self--for I am my own person, my own being, and I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. I was kind in my last post, because I am a kind person. The very least you could do is return this--yet you seemingly cannot.

I am not arrogant nor hubrant, I am merely [i]confident[/i] and out-spoken in what I do say. People take this as I am the first, but actually I am the latter. If I was not the latter, then why would I be saying that I understand what you said in your post, that in actuality one can believe that life is good as well as bad, or that it is good? If I was not the latter, how could I see that mine own beliefs are not absolute? Tell me how I am not the latter. You can't, because in reality, I am not.

We are all selfish in some ways. You seemingly are the most selfish for not allowing me to believe what I want to believe. If there's one thing everyone deserves, that is for people to let people believe what they want.

What's it to you that I believe what I believe? Nothing, if you think I'm an idiot. So, logic says to me and you that I must not be an idiot by this, that in fact, since what I say matters enough to you for you to endlessly bicker and snarl, that I am not encumbered with idoteque to this point, and in actuality what I say does matter to you, thus making me not an idiot.

Anyway, enough of this. I won't say anything more. I've had enough of your fascist ways, and I'm not going to even listen your poisonous tongue any longer.[/size]