OtakuBoards

Sara Art.

Sara

[COLOR=333333]Whee, I really like this picture.

This is a semi-original characters. I drew her...then decided she should be colored to look like a digimon. ([url=http://ca.geocities.com/digital_empiredex/digidex/Biyomon.html]Biyomon[/url], a little pink bird.) You used to see a lot of these--digimon drawn as humans. I think they were called Gijinka.

So, yes. The coloring style was a ton of fun. It was inspired by Dagger, in an odd sort of way, heh. So....yes.[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?postid=536680[/IMG]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I think that's possibly the cleanest, smoothest looking drawing I've ever seen from you. It makes it look more professional, I think.

The shoes seem a bit off, but I love it otherwise. Nice work. [/B][/QUOTE] [COLOR=333333]*blinks* Eh, the shoes do look off. Oh, well. (They looked fine earlier, I swear!)

And then these are just some fun I had with the layers I used whilst coloring. :whoops:[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?postid=536685[/IMG]

You know, that second "effect" one (the one on the right) reminds me of how all those children's books were colored. You know, Curious George and the rest. Always bothered me how they didn't color inside the lines... Cool recreation, though.

I really like the socks. My sister did something similar for one of her classes, and the teacher said she couldn't have made this because "only professionals can make socks like that." That was a while ago.

I think it's because of that thing on top of her head, but she feels like she should be in a Dr. Suess book.

That's great work Sara. Especially the socks- that is real professional work. I am mucho impresso. A few problems with the drawing though- One I don't like her round face. Two, the shoes are a bit strange o.O Three- Her hips aren't even. One looks like it has a balloon under there. lol. Four- One 'boob' is a tennis ball. The other a soccer ball. lol. Hilarious.

Also the hands aren't right. Lovely drawing though. The colouring is impressive to say the least, and your work on that is excellent. I love the character idea. Very cute- your drawing is quite excellent, marred only by a few small things. Overall, good work.

Aesthetics: 7.5/10
Technical: 9/10

[COLOR=333333]*razzes Baron* I'm going to answer most of your comments by saying that it's just her stance.

I mostly think the shoes look okay. They are a little off, but my problems is with some of my coloring. To me, they look fine in my sketch, sooo... Oh well, heh. And...*flips through sketches*...most of my characters have round faces. I guess it's just how I draw. I think they're cute, heh.

I actually did two pictures yesterday/early this morning (I couldn't sleep.) So, here's the second.

This is a girl I drew earlier in December. My entire reason for drawing her was that I wanted a a picture of a girl with a scarf, heh. Her outfit was originally pink, purple, and bright blue...but when I decided to recolor it, I had had quite enough of those colors with the Biyomon picture.

Since I drew her, I'd been referring to her as "Winter Chika," but the orange and yellow make her more autumnal, really.[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?postid=537059[/IMG]

I don't know why the first girl's hips would be even considering the angle the character is standing at anyway. It's pretty obvious to me that her hips are slightly swivled, which would mean one hip is at a father distance and different angle than the other. The same could be applied to a few other "problems" in the drawing. Of course, I guess that can be thrown out the window considering her feet are on equal ground lol.

I like the scarf on this second one.

It's not the hip as such, more the inside of the thigh. It just seems too much wider to me. I know they shouldn't be even, they just looked a bit too [b]un[/b]even. Geez. I'll never say it again if you don't want me to ~_^.

I like this new girl ^_^. She's definitely hot. Plus she doesn't have strange ears >_>. lol. The scarf is excellent. I basically love all of her. I think her hips could come out a smidegon further on the right, but thats just me. Heh. I'm not sure how much I like the socks/legwarmers but I suppose it is Autumn/Winter so she needs them. Impractically short skirt considering she is wearing a scarf though <_< But Hey, don't look at me I'm not picky.

Overall this piece is a hundredfold better than the last one.

Aesthetics: 9.5/10
Technical: 8/10

[size=1]*waves to Baron and Tony*

Well, in the vain hope that I might get more input on my pictures than the percentage of people who like them, I'm going to be posting more things here as I do them, I think.

[img]http://fanart.theotaku.com/imgs/14-20040101225844.jpg[/img]

This was marker, over an older sketch. Heh, I got a bunch of grey markers for Christmas and I was experimenting with them. By the time I was done with her torso, I was sick of the whole picture...thus the blob-ish feet. Actually, that happens in a lot of my drawings. *rolls eyes*

And the attached is a photoshop version (again with the clunky, chunky coloring and outlines, which seems to be my latest phase) of another older sketch.

The two creatures are Silé (red) and Espe (blue/green.) They're sort of polar opposites; Silé is quiet (well, silent) and has to do with various depression-ish things. Espe is more innocent/naïve. *laughs* So yeah, that kinda took off from there. It was a very quick picture, but I like how it turned out.[/size]

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?postid=540255[/img]

[size=1][color=darkblue]Very nice. I like them all very much.
Then first one is very interesting but all the same as pretty and cute at the same time. I like the first one's hair, ears, and socks. It may be a little off on the feet and the stance may look abit different, but it doesn't bother me that much.
The second one, very cute! I love the hat and scarf, nice background too. And, again, I love the way you did the socks on that one as well. I have no complaints for this one, just that it's way to cute. ^_~
I actually really like your angel drawing. It draws me in for some reason, it's done very well. The wings are very interesting. I love the hair on that one too. Her feet are the only thing that are off to me, and you explained why that is.
I absolutly love the yingyang creature type thing. I think they are rather cute. ^_^
I really like these, I can't wait to see more of your pictures!

--Conna--[/color][/size]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I really love the very last one, the yin yang picture.

Of course you know that I enjoy all of your artwork and everything. ^_^ The first girl was really cute, too. And the winter chica...well, let's just say you wouldn't catch me outside in winter in shorts. ^_^;[/color][/size]

Sara, I notice you always totally ignore fingers on hands... Is this just a style decision or are you just not good at drawing full hands? I know I definitely stink at it, takes me a lot of work heh. I'm just curious.

Anyway, I like the ideas presented by the black and white girl. Particularly the faux-angelic elements. I think that was pulled off really well. The feet do look out of place though heh.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Sara, I notice you always totally ignore fingers on hands... Is this just a style decision or are you just not good at drawing full hands? I know I definitely stink at it, takes me a lot of work heh. I'm just curious. [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]A little of this, a little of that... I [i]can[/i] draw hands, but they frustrate me for a couple reasons: they never look [i]just[/i] right, and I can never figure out what to [i]do[/i] with them. So I guess lately it hasn't even occured to me to try 'em, heh. I just do the general shape and leave it at that. I suppose I could try drawing something...pfeh. *laughs*

I remember talking with one of my friends a couple months ago--she had just pointed out one of my characters didn't have fingers, and I had to laugh. It's true--hands hide behind backs, in oversized sleeves, resting behind legs, even in mittens.

Her older brother just started laughing.

"Guns," he said. "Freshman year art class, I never drew a single hand--all their arms just ended in really big guns." So that's another way to go about it, heh. It seems to be a universal complaint.

If it really bothered me, I would try drawing them more often so I'd be able to do it with more ease, but I like the way my pictures look right now, so I'm not really worried about it.

The fact that the winter chika was wearing shorts was kind of a joke. There was a comment on the original sketch. "If it's winter, why does she have so much skin showing? Pfeh, anime." Just fun stuff.[/SIZE]

[size=1] Sara, you have a very distinct style when drawing, and I love it. I'm not going to nag about my personal preferences and dislikes on your pictures, but your pictures are very enjoyable. ^_^.

Your pictures are very clean, and it seems you have a grasp on using cel-shading correctly. I especially like the higlights in the hair of the one you drew with your gray markers. Hope to see more![/size]

Newest two: The grey girl... her hair is... stunning. Thats the only word that comes to mind. Her hair.. you can basically see each strand. It is marvellous. It looks so... real. Great work for that. Her face.. that is just. Wow. It isn't particularly human, it is cute though. It suits this... character enormously. With those
awesome 'wings' and the halo, her adorable face just sets this piece off. I see what you mean about the hands and the feet. lol. Not that bad though. They can be forgiven for all the excellent details of the rest.

I like Espe more than Sil[funny 'e'] one. Espe just seems.. cuter to me. lol. Also, why do you have the blue edging around the red, but not vice versa? Just wondering. This is quite nice... but Sile just doesn't seem to fit well with me. I like Espe 3000% better. Heh.

On a side note: I love your new avatar. Gorgeous. Just how I imagined you to tell the truth. lol.

I feel so guilty for not replying earlier, because I genuinely love your art. >_<

Biyomon: Absolutely adorable, extremely well shaded, and (best of all) inspired by me! ^_- I love this drawing's color scheme (all that pink and blue makes me think of cotton candy). Like Semjaza said, it seems exceptionally professional--the lineart in particular looks very stylish and smooth. I wish that she was smiling, but perhaps that's just me.

Winter Chika: This girl does seem more autumnal than winter-y. The pompoms on the ends of her hat are quite snazzy. It's also cool that you appear to be exploring slightly different cell-shading techniques when coloring each drawing.

Angel: For some reason, she makes me think of the anime Haibane Remnei (if you haven't seen it, you should try taking a look at some of its artwork, which is very beautiful). Perhaps it's her faux wings, or the sketch's somber palette. Her hair is amazingly textured and detailed, which really draws in the viewer's attention.

Sile and Espe: Wow. If I didn't know better, I'd think that these little creatures were the creations of a professional artist. Their shading is sharp and clean, and the pastel ying-yang is the perfect backdrop. However, as Baron mentioned, Espe's dark outline makes her seem better defined than Sile. I really love the texture of her fins and tail--it looks so shimmery and delicate.

Heh, I also avoid drawing hands. I just can't seem to get them right. ^_^;

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]*pleased*

Like I said, Dagger, I liked the bold outline you used, and I decided to do something similar. (Biyo was going to have soft coloring, but I ended up just continuing with the clunky style I used for the outline. I can get carried away sometimes.)

Everyone seems to like the angel, heh. ^_^ That's cool, because I really wasn't sure about her. I've never really tried markers for coloring before. (Well, not since some time in third grade.) I really liked her, but I didn't know if anyone else would.

As for the yinyang picture, I like Espe more, too. She's just the more appealing creature, I think. Silé looks exactly (well, maybe not [i]exactly[/i]...) like she's supposed to, though--sort of muted. (Incidently, the first thing my mom said when I showed her this picture was, "Koi-dogs?" I've been having fun with drawing/painting/carving fish lately. I had to convince her that these characters pre-dated the "Koi" era. *rolls eyes*)

I have heard of Haibane Renmei, though I don't really know much about it. I have seen some pictures, and they're really beautiful.

My friend Laura lent me her Cardcaptor Sakura manga, and I have to admit that I just about died of cuteness. I had to stop reading every page just to bask in the adorafulness (yes, adorafulness) of the pictures.

...So I tried my hand at drawing Sakura. This was markers again, and (horror of horrors!) you can actually see her fingers. (They looked better in pencil :p ) Anyhoo.

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?postid=541056[/img]

...It reminds me of Willow's pictures, for some reason. ^_^[/SIZE]

[quote]The two creatures are Silé (red) and Espe (blue/green.) They're sort of polar opposites; Silé is quiet (well, silent) and has to do with various depression-ish things. Espe is more innocent/naïve.[/quote] Did you create these characters? They're clever, and I like the yingyang symbolism (well, it's pretty literal). The texturing on the fins of the blue one is a nice feature. I think you could have emphasized the texture on the red one a little more.
The coloring is good, but I like the contrast thing you have going more. The BG even contrasts with the characters that are in front of them.

As for the Sakura one, she reminds me of some other character (aside from Sakura, of course). Really like the eyes. Everything from the hair down is actually well-done, but the eyes just stand out (in a good way). Did you create that BG by hand? That's a really nice feature and adds to the picture.

What is that symbol you have on the three middle pictures, btw? You know, on the angel, yingyang, and winter girl. Is that your signature? If so, why isn't it on the other two pictures (the first and latest one)?

EDIT: Bingo. The eyes reminded me of [url=http://fanart.theotaku.com/view.php?action=get_pic&pic_id=4257]this other pic[/url] that you made and used in your avi. In hindsight, though, I don't see the relation. :-/

[size=1] Nice flower background, Sara, it was actually the first thing I noticed. *laughs* They're all very elegant and pretty. ^_^

Her wrists look a bit chubby, but it's no big deal. What I like most, though, is her hair. You can actually see every single strand, as opposed to the chunky versions you see in many mangas and anime. Hope to see more of that [i]and[/i] your pictures.[/size]

Lovely picture this Sakura one. I love how you draw hair... so realistically. That must take you hours to do. It looks great- really really great. Absolutely everything in this image, with the possible exception of the hands is... marvellous. Very smooth, lifelike and excellently done. Her arms, her face, her body proportions. All excellently done. You are a wonderful artists Sara. My only gripe is the fingers... they just looks short and stiff. One day you'll get them though, and then.. wow. You'll be what I would consider to be a perfect artist. As it is you're pretty damn close ~_^.

I am blown away by your work here Sara.

Like everybody else has been saying your style is ridiculously clean and cute. The characters are all adorable, and I wish I could see them all in one jumbo super-cute anime where I could picture them bouncing around with happy clouds just sort of grinning at each other, perhaps occasionally with thought bubbles of saying ^___^ popping out of their hands.

Well, anyway.

I always find the kind of socks you draw -- you know, the big, piled up, fluffy-looking kind -- very interesting. Mostly because I think they'd look horrible in real life, but somehow they're really apropros to the girls you put them on.

I like all of them, particularly the red/blue yin-yang-ish one. I don't like the dark one in markers as much as the others, though, since you seem to have put slightly less effort in really "finishing" it, even if it was meant to look sketchy at the end. I think her eyes are slightly lopsided.

The red-blue two little characters currently stands as my favorite by far, though. It really sticks out.

The good thing about your art is that you could pick it out among a ton of different pieces. :)

[COLOR=darkred]I've not been able to comment earlier, because the only thing would come to mind was [insert picture of smiley dropping jaw] and then [awestruck silence]

Your style is very clean-cut, but it doesn't feel uptight in any way.
It comes out looking very simple, but it also looks like you spent an enourmous amount of time getting it so close to perfection.
But not to the point where you've overdone anything...

I really like your black and white art - it feels like flicking through an old album, catching a glimpse of another persons life.
It feels real - as if there is life behind/within the paper [size=1](or in this case screen)[/size]...

And when you've colored your creations, it feels very natural - not over the top, but still striking in some way.

I admit I'm not very good when it comes to commenting/critic but I like what I see here.
And I would love to see more *nods*

- Mimmi [/COLOR]

[size=1]My favorite is the Angel one - [i]I love the wings[/i]. I think I kind of have an obssession over wings, and I'm really pleased that the girl's wings look the way they do. The kind of broken and odd looking pieces are just lovely, and in black and white the entire picture is gorgeous.

This last picture is adorable. They all are, but I really like this one because of the flowers. Pretty-ness. It's like she's holding on to innocence or something, especially with those shiny, round doe eyes. Heh.

Fantastico![/size]

[SIZE=1]The yin-yang creatures are mine, yeah. Silé's about two years old, while Espe was "born" during Chem class last spring. You'd be surprised how much that class can foster creativity, heh. (Incidently, [i]Espe[/i] is her name. She's a nother--[i]Nother[/i] being a noun in this case. I have a ton of little "a-creatures." They're fun.) I didn't really come up with the yinyang bit (obvious as it may seem now) until a month or so ago; I was sketching the pair of them, and they came out looking like that.

I like the way the flowers in the background look in the Sakura one. That was the first thing my mom commented on; she always teases me because I don't [i]finish[/i] pictures--I just draw a character and forget about any attempt at background.

I love the fluffy socks Biyo and Winter Chika are wearing. They're fun to draw/color, and I like the way they look. A little impractical, perhaps....but so are superfluous feathers and wearing shorts in January. So it's okay. Heh.

So many kind comments! *grins foolishly*

This is...well, a watercolor. *laughs* It was something I did for painting class, and I just felt like painting fish. (It was never meant to be a finished picture...I just wanted to get the hang of how watercolors worked.) But it turned out nice, heh. The scan made it look kind of flat and dark, which is too bad.

Anyhoo, there's that symbol again. It was originally based off the "Crest" concept in the first season of Digimon (I had about thirty different little designs I made, each representing a different element/emotion/quality.) This was the "Crest of Dreams," and I started using it as a signature somewhere along the line. I sign my paintings with it, and sometimes drawings, too. I'm not very consistent, heh.[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?postid=542991[/IMG]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Absolutely beautiful. The fact that you have such a nifty background without your colors blending shows that you know what you're doing with watercolors. It takes a lot of practice to know exactly how much water to use to make certain colors, etc. Some of the fish are shaped rather oddly, but I like that. It's the oddities that make it so cute. Yes, this is very "Saraesqe" indeed. ^_^[/color][/size]