OtakuBoards

Methods to get to bed

Guest Shell

[size=1] Well...

"What Can I Do About It?
Dr. Grogan recommends using a variety of methods to fall asleep without relying on prescription or non-prescription medications, which can be habit-forming or harmful in large doses.

"One thing we know from a lot of experience is that lower skin temperatures help you sleep better," he says. "If you have a sudden increase in your skin temperature, that is going to tend to wake you up, and that is why a lot of people find that sleeping in a cool room under warm blankets is more conducive to good sleep. Likewise, if you take a warm bath before bed, your body heat actually drops, which is why you sleep better after a warm bath."

Alcohol and caffeine can keep you from getting a good night's sleep, and should be avoided whenever possible.

"Alcohol is a sedating substance, but it won't last you through the night," Dr. Grogan says. "Caffeine can stay in your system up to 12 hours after you take it, so a cup of coffee you had at lunchtime may still be there at midnight. It may not keep you wide awake, but it is going to keep you from getting the deeper sleep you need to feel good."

In addition, Dr. Grogan recommends setting a regular schedule for yourself - waking and going to bed at the same times each day - and avoiding emotional stress near bedtime.

"If you watch a scary TV show or get into an argument with your kids, you're not going to fall asleep, because you are not emotionally relaxed and ready for it," he says.

Light exercise early in the day can also help when bedtime rolls around.

"A simple walk a half hour or so after dinner can be very helpful," he says. "If it is bad weather, use an exercise bike or walk around a mall."

If you still have trouble sleeping, Dr. Grogan recommends keeping a "sleep diary" in which you can record your sleep habits.

"If you have insomnia, you may feel like your sleeping patterns are much worse than they actually are," he says. "Write down what time you went to bed, how long it took you to fall asleep, how many times you woke up and what time you got out of bed. Sometimes you'll surprise yourself in terms of how much sleep you are actually getting. Also, you may be able to see your sleep habits and see where the problem is, whether it's caffeine or the room temperature or whatever. Finally, if you do still think there's a problem, you can take your sleep diary to your doctor. Instead of just going and saying 'I have lousy sleep,' you can say, 'this is what my problem is.' That will help the doctor quite a bit in terms of figuring out what to do."

[b]-Dr. Grogan[/b][/size]

[size=1]There's a few thing that I do if I feel tired but just can't seem to get to sleep, these mightn't work as well for other people but it's just for a reference to see if it works for you.

[list][*][B]Read a book:[/b] Not the most difficult task to do when you feel tired, preferably make it something interesting so that you can relax while reading it and eventually just turn over and go to sleep.

[*][b]Go out for a breath of fresh air:[/b] I find this one to be personally the most effective if I feel over tired. Just put on a coat and go out for a five minute walk, you'll be surprised as to how much better you feel when you come back inside and I guarantee that you'll sleep better.

[*][b]Have a talk with someone you know about good times:[/b] This will relax you I promise, be it your father / mother / brother / sister etc. this will relax your mind and get you to sleep.

[*][b]Have a bath or a shower:[/b] Which ever you prefer the hot water will relax all the muscle in your body and get rid of any tense feelings. This in turn will allow your mind to rest itself and should help you sleep.[/list]

Well that's it, if it works then knowing that I've saved somebody from insomnia[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Sex and a cigarrette seems to work for alot of people.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][SIZE=1]Guess he have to check to make sure Shell has a gf/bf (not pinning his sexual orientation) to have sex with first. . and smoking may be dangerous, because if the sex is too good, and he falls asleep, then his place could catch on fire, and he would die. . I don't think he wanted to sleep that long *shrug* Just my thoughts. . lol

Personally, I am an insomniac, so I usually get to sleep once my body starts to shut down ^_^ It's not the most healthy way to go about it, especially since when I wake up, it's because of a phone call three hours after I finally go to sleep. My bed is pretty comfortable, though my room is usually freezing. Not a problem, but it takes a minute to get used to before I am comfortable in my bed. =)

So, don't take my advice. . jot it down as BAD advice *nods* [/SIZE][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Isen`tar [/i]
[B]Well, both are easy, if you think about it.

To get to sleep: Read some of the horrid stories on here.
To get banned: Comment on them. :P [/B][/QUOTE]

Really? :whoops: Heh, I don't usually sleep all that much. At max I sleep 2-5 hours a day. Thats why you see me on here in the middle of the night all the way up to 3 am. But when I'm really tired I just read. Usually mystery or fantasy. (Really I didn't know that Ryu Sakura's a unicorn lover. "I am not! Die 1 horned evils!" *cackles evily*) But if that doesn't work, try runnig around your hous till you fall, and breack you leg. The pain will put you to sleep. (It will?) Well, thats what happend when I brake somthing. I think it's because you need to heal... or somthing...

[FONT=arial]all I usually have to do to get to sleep is either do my homework in bed, or watch some T.V. Listening to music doesn't do it for me anymore, because I'll concentrate on the music too much for me to zonk myself out.

if none of that works, pull an all-nighter, and try staying awake all of the next day. I guarantee you'll be feeling it by at least third period. shouldn't have any problem sleeping then, meh.[/FONT]

[size=1]Well, if sex isn't readily available, then masturbation tends to work for me. If not, play a video game for a few hours before you tend to try to go to bed, and that will end up boring you out of your mind. Or until your eyelids fall like cement. Display screens make eye muscles tired,and I've proven that. [/size]

[b]For some reason I thought this said "Methods to Get Banned"... heh.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that if you're [i]that[/i] tired, you would be in bed...not on the computer asking for advice. You have been presented with a few options here which are...worth a try. My mom, in all her RN glory, always tells me to take Nyquil.

But I think that's about as far as this thread is going to get. On a side note, double-check to be sure you've read our rules, and Welcome to OtakuBoards.[/size]