OtakuBoards

Azumanga Daioh

Dagger

Although Azumanga Daioh is advertised as a manga, it might more accurately be called a cartoon. Each volume is a collection of four-panel strips, all of which revolve around a group of ordinary high-school girls.

In anime and manga, "regular" teenagers are usually anything but--Yusuke battles demons, Kagome can shoot magical arrows, Kamui has incredible psychic powers, Robin is a Craft user, and so forth. But though the characters in Azumanga Daioh may seem a bit eccentric, they're ultimately quite normal. Ironically enough, its mundane subject matter is one of the qualities that makes AD stand out.

My favorite character is probably Kaorin. Her crush on Sakaki is both amusing and adorable, although I suspect that it won't actually go anywhere.

If you've read or heard of Azumanga Daioh--well, you know what to do. Discuss away.

~Dagger~

[b][i][color=indigo][font=Book Antiqua] Ahh Azumanga Daioh. I was actaully going to start a thread about this myself but never got around to it I guess.*shrugs* Anyways it's deffinatly one of my new favorite series. I just lovw how there isn't much of a plot. As[color=indigo] Dagger IX1 said[/color][/font][b][i][/color][/i][/b][font=Book Antiqua][color=indigo] the characters are probably some of the most normal manga characters you'll ever see but yet none of them are quite normal....[/color][/font][/i][/b]

[b][i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#4b0082] YEs welll next time I go to a bookstore I think I'll buy vol. 3. I only have 1&2. Oh and about Kaorin, you don't see her much after the first volume. Don't know if you've read it or not.I like the teachers the best. Yukari and her crazy drinkin' habits then Nyamo always trying to stop her. Gotta love the end of book two.Mr Kimura is cool too. Every anime series must always have the preverted guy, teacher or otherwise. heh.[/color][/font][/i][/b]

[color=crimson]I read about this one in Anime Insider. The fact that there was nothing abnormal about the characters blew me away. XD They're just normal kids! I love it! >laughing<

I did purchase vol. 1 recently and I did like it. I don't know what it was about it, but I smiled the entire time I read it. I made my sis read it (as in tied her down and taped her eyes open to make her read it) and she ended up liking it. She said it reminded her of her life. O_o Normally, this type of story wouldn't interest me, but my friend Mich said she would like to borrow it if I got my hands on it. Since nothing else had come out, I got it and read it. I have yet to give it to her. I think she will enjoy it. There are alot of parts I laughed at, and I enjoyed reading it, so she will probably like it more if she is into the shoujo type manga.

I was trying to think of another manga to compare Azumanga Daioh to, but I haven't come up with one yet. If I do, I'll post again.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

I've seen Azumanda Daioh avalible on VHS and DVD yesterday. I've also had some insight on it while reading Animerica. It really sounded strange when it said that there was absolutly no plot! So, just for kicks, I bought it today while I was shopping at the local manga/anime store. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but i'll get around to it soon hopefully.

[font=Tahoma]I've read volume one. Out of all the characters, Sakaki, Chiyo-Chan, and Osaka are my favorites. It Isn't really something you'd really expect me to be reading, but I enjoyed it and would like to see the anime. ^^ [/font]

• 2 weeks later...
I have all 4 volumes in the Japanese tankubon. I have seen some of the examples of the confused ADV "localization" concerning Osaka's use of Kansai-ben and the mid-stream change of Yukari from what? Spanish to English teacher I think. It is nice to see high school girls in a comedy which does not depend on raging male or female hormones for all the plot drive.

A new manga by Azuma Kiyohiko called Yotsuba to! is also very entertaining. I grabbed the first tankubon a few months ago. It is a comedy with young girls of varying ages.

• 7 months later...
If you are looking for a new manga, i would suggest Azu Manga Daioh. :) It's funny,well drawn, and worth the money! :love: My favorite character is Tomo. Anybody else read this series? If you do, please tell me your favorite character and your favorite comic strip in it. If you haven't, i encourage you to go out and get it! What are you waiting for? GO OUT AND BUY IT!!! ^_______________^
later! take care everyone! :smirk:
~fluffyfan

I had 1-3, planning on getting four and five, but my 3rd one got juice spilled all over it! it really pissed me off, because my fave character is Sakaki, and she was on the cover *cries*
Soo... continuing the above statement, my fave char is sakaki, because shes quiet, mostly, like me. fave strip? thats a toughie.... its been soo long since I have read it.. I cant remember. I like them all.
But yeah, anyone reading this thread who DOESNT have this series, Id suggest you go buy it. Very funny, good art. ^.^

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite character would probably have to be Sakaki...I like her personality, and I feel sorry for her, for always getting bitten in the hand by evil cute cats.
My favorite slide, though, was in vol. 1, 'the Swimming Pool', where [spoiler]Tomo and Chiyo-chan jump into the pool, Chiyo-chan is almost all the way under the water, then starts waving her hands around (drowning...?), all while Tomo just sort of holds what I think I'll call a 'woo-hoo' pose[/spoiler].

(sorry, I felt I had to put spoiler tags on that, just so as not to spoil the fun)

[quote name='wasted4life']i havent read the manga yet,but you have definatly encouraged me to go out and find it.i really like the anime series..but is the manga different?some of my friends have read the azu manga daioh! manga and said its better then the anime :wigout:[/quote]i wouldn't knwo..i've never seen the anime version ^__^;

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Please put more effort into your posts in future, fluffyfan. even with the quote, this post is inadequate. If you can't add anything constructive to the discussion it's best not to say anything. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[color=darkblue]After reveiwing this thread, I've decided that if it's going to stay open, some definate effort is going to be required in future posts. Besides going into a bit more depth as to why you like the series, grammar and punctuation also need to be worked on. Any complaints you may have can be PMed to me.

You've been warned.[/color]

I really liked the azumanga daioh manga's as well but i was a bit dissapointed when the volumes were broken up into 4 cel sections rather than chapters. it makes it a bit harder to follow compared to your standard manga. As for the anime, it tends to stay very true to the source material, which i liked. Ayumu Kasuga (Osaka) is probably my favorite character cuz she's always so out there. her dreams about chiyo and her pigtails was hilarious.

btw, since when was proper grammer and punctuation required for posting for chissakes? i don't see anything like that in the rules but i apologize if we've offended your queen's proper english.

[quote][b]Excerpt from the OtakuBoards Rules page[/b]

[b]· Incoherent/Sloppy Posts:[/b] [u]At OtakuBoards, we greatly emphasize the concept of having clear, easy to read posts. This includes correct use of spelling, grammar and punctuation.[/u] If a member is posting with very poor quality, they will be asked to clean up their future posts. If the member persists in posting poorly, they will be banned from the site.[/quote]

[color=darkblue]So, to answer your question, we've always had that rule in effect, it's just that some members choose to ignore it, and face the given consequences.[/color]

Whoa... Harsh. Anyway my favorite character is Sakaki because she isn't perfect like most people. She is very good at sports but she doesn't think much about it. She is very humble and is very cool. Azu Manga Daioh is very well drawn and my favorite comic strip is the one when the "new girl" comes in and the teacher calls her a little runt. Very funny. Teachers in that manga are even less mature than the students :D

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have read the first volume of the manga, and I have to say it's pretty hilarious. It's not like most anime that there's a big villain or a superhero, which makes it very original. My favorite character is Sakaki, because she's cool and not to mention cute. But, I feel sorry for her, because she's always getting bitten by cats. My favorite part has to be where Miss Yukari is late, and she steals a student's bike, because her bike chain is broken. (I'm not sure if that was from the manga or the anime.) [/FONT] [/SIZE]

Azumanga Daioh rocks. It's definetly my favorite anime right now, and I adore the manga. In fact, it's probably my favorite manga too, and I'm lucky enough to own all four. ^^
What makes Azu so unique is, like people have said before, the fact that it's one of those four-panel strips. This was the first (and only) time I've seen a manga like this, and I found it a little strange at first.
If you like humor, I think it's hard not to love Azumanga Daioh. If you're a person who needs a plot, then definetly don't pick up a copy of this. For some reason, I was able to get more out of the Azu series time-wise than I would a regular manga, probably because there's a lot more content in the books. (Four 4-panel strips = 16 panels per two pages compared to about 10 for a normal manga). You really get what you pay for in this case, and can easily re-read and re-re-read this series over and over and over again.
My favorite character would have to be Osaka. She's just so cute and clueless, and has one of the most hilarious (and unique) minds I've ever seen. XD

azu azu azu, who doesnt love this if theyve read it? i went to hastings about 4-5 months ago, read about 30 pages of the first book, and was hooked. since then, ive gotten all 4 books and the first DVD(going to get the rest, just hold on). my fav character would have to be hands down Mr. Kimura. at one point in the dvd(no spoilders) in english, he comments 'DING DING DING DING DING~'
play that part back in japanese, and youll burst out laughing.
the manga's great, but i dont really care for the ending, im sorry to say. GREAT OTHERWISE, dont get me wrong