OtakuBoards

Toonami Becoming "Miguzi"

Katana

[i]Toonami moves to Saturday nights
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Monday, April 19, Cartoon Network launches "Miguzi," a new action-adventure programming block. Airing weekdays from 5-7pm EST, the new Miguzi block will feature Totally Spies, Code LYOKO, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Teen Titans.

The premiere of Miguzi displaces Cartoon Network's Toonami block after six years in the weekday afternoon slot. Starting Saturday, April 17, Toonami will move to Saturday evenings, airing from 7pm-midnight EST. The SVES programming block that currently occupies Saturday nights will end after April 9th.

According to Cartoon Network, Miguzi will be aimed at kids 6-11, while Toonami will become more-teen oriented. Centered around action and anime, Toonami will show Gundam SEED beginning in April, as well Yu Yu Hakusho. May will feature the Toonami premieres of Megas XLR (a Cartoon Network original series), Rave Masters, and Dragon Ball GT. The premiere of Cyborg 009 S2 is expected in June.[/i]

*breaks down in tears*
This, in lack of a better word, sucks. I have been watching Toonami ever since I was in Kindergarten, and now they push it to one day a week. I'm not too enthused about this, and I bet long-time fans of Toonami aren't either.
The shows they are showing are...okay. I just can't stand TMNT.
Why is CN suddenly targeting a younger crowd on weekdays? Older kids usually come home and watch TV, while younger ones are out playing or doing homework. Older kids go out on Saturday nights to hang out with friends, while that day is like a sacred thing to the kiddies. So why the sudden change?
I can't see much good in this change. It's great to know that they're going to show the second season of Cyborg 009, but over the span of a month you only see four episodes compared to being aired on weekday basis, where you get about twenty. Let's see...four...or twenty? I wonder...
This is going to kill me. I swear. But it'll give me a chance to catch up on my hate mail...

While I am sympathetic to your plight (believe me I totally feel your pain) I can't say that this change wasn't looming over the horizon. Let's face it, SD Gundam isn't exactly the most advanced piece of work to cross Toonami's path. Plus with the advent of [adult swim] the older group has been covered for their needs. Along with that the saturday night blocks have done a relatively acceptable job of covering the middle ground. So that really only leaves the kiddie stuff for Toonami. Sad to say it, these times they are achanging. And besides, we can all agree Totally Spies is filth, sick degenerate [I]filth...[/I]

I probaly wouldn't have noticed the change for about a week of watching the new shows... I'm not slow, I just don't absorb things all the time. Anyway, this sucks big! What the hell are all the teenagers gonna do now that Totally Spies takes the place of their favorite shows? I'll have to get a hobby now, crap. Where did you get this info anyway, Avogadro?

Guest Heezay
This totally sucks. Instead of watching Toonami after school(the good shows) as we righteously should, they change it. Toonami's been around for so long......but all good things come to an end.

I heard that Meguzi will take place in an underwater environment instead of outer space, and they will be showing clips of "real life heroes" (Athletes, etc.) in between shows. Beautiful. Now all the kiddies need is Spongebob Squarepants to host it.

And yeah, TMNT rocks. :)

[size=1]Well, isn't that just a big wad of crap... But, Like Heezay said, all good things do come to an end. Meguzi, it sounds to me like someones throwing up and having diaria at the same time!

Actually, I don't watch Toonami as much as I used to. SD Gundam and Cyborg 009 just... bleh, tossed me away from toonami for ever. The DragonBall series just wouldn't stop so I got sick of that and Yu Yu Hakusho isn't one of my favorite animes of all time, so, I don't really watch it as much as I used to, but when I'm bored I might stick around for some toonami anime.

Although as much as this truly sucks, there is some good out of it. RaveMaster and Gundam SEED are finally going to be aired. I love Rave Master! And I know alot of Gundam fans have been waiting for SEED to come out in the USA. Though I hate Cyborg 009, i'll still tune in when ever I have a dull Saterday (that will be rare).[/size]

Guest firegirlinuyash
[COLOR=DarkRed]aww it's been on so long and now it be'n replace...i can think back when it first started.It alway seen like cartoonnetwork is taking cartoon from other networks and puting it on there show.like pokemon,and yu gi oh they got a lot more but i cant think of them now.I want toonami to stay there tho..there nothing good on but that.[/COLOR]

Toonami has sucked for a looooooooooong time now, years ago it was good, now it sucks, plain and simple, I've just given up on it changing for the better...I've sent hundreds of hate-mails saying it sucks now, and hundreds of things saying to put the good anime back on, but nothing. :flaming:

Cartoon Network just seems to be making one bad change after another. The days of good shows like "Thundercats", "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest", "Dragonball Z", "Sailor Moon", "Voltron" and others are long gone. Now, Toonami just seems to overhype the Dragonball trilogy and tries way too hard to cater to anime fans. Yeah, it was cool for a very long time, until this past year or so.

Teen Titans and TMNT are awesome shows, so they can only help, rather than hurt, Miguzi, though it will need a third good show to further strengthen it (I suggest eitehr He-Man, Thundercats or Justice League). Toonami replacing SVES is a bad idea. SVES is possibly the best thing on Cartoon Network right now, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh aside. Cartoon Network should keep that programming slot, replace Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh with stronger shows (after all, what's the point of having those animes on such an action-oriented lineup, when they should be more for the younger crowd, such as Miguzi's target audience).

Or, here's a thought, Miguzi should be the new name given to that after school block that comes on before Toonami, keep Toonami intact, with a better lineup, keep SVES, with a better lineup, and have adult swim. Now we have Cartoon Network for all generations, young and old.

This is very very increasingly painfully bad... Toonami is still good... Im not much for SD Gundam, but I like all the other shows... and what's the deal with the sucky lineup in this "Mizugi" thing... the ideas for the other things is great... Placing Toonami in Saturday's would be great... Know if Kenshin will survive the change? I dont know if I can take it.... Why would someone do such a thing... and What the heck is Code LYOKO? I am definately not 6-11 and darn it... even if I was... I'd want to come home to Toonami... It helps you grow... What next... a 16 hour block of Teletubbies???

Why in the hell is anyone still watching Toonami anyway?

The ratings probably dropped after DBZ got done airing... thats what gave them all the great ratings they had for the last 6 years. That and Gundam Wing, but a whole 40 something episodes won't last as long as 291. Anyway, yeah once people began to realize how crappy the anime that Toonami played is, they stopped watching it.

I honestly didn't even know Toonami was still on, it's been forever since I watched any of it.

PS: I couldn't find Miguzi in any Japanese directory for words... it probably isn't a real word, kinda like how Toonami wasn't... but at least that was some sort of pun... Miguzi just sounds stupid.

[size=1]Little kids do homework or play outside after school? When did [i]this[/i] happen? ...or is my kid brother the only lazy kiddie who's growing up glued to the TV?

I don't watch TV, which is either a cause or an effect of our getting about seven channels. Never quite figured that one out.

I guess I don't see what the earth-shattering deal is. Either watch the new block--if you're bored enough, you will--or do something else. Heck, do homework or go outside and play. :toothy:

If Toonami's been in the same spot for six years...well, I'm surprised. Cartoon Network is hardly my area of expertise, but come on. It's kids' TV, and hardly meant to be a constant.[/size]

I stopped watching Toonami a while ago-- even before DBZ finished its run. I barely caught the ending. It doesn't help that I'm now at work or school weekday afternoons. I think some of you are making too big a big deal out of this, though. Miguzi sounds exactly like Toonami, with a different line-up. I don't think you'd be complaining as much if Toonami stayed on weekdays and simply changed its line-up to the Turtles, Spies, Titans, and Lyoko.

I'm just looking forward to Rave Masters and Megas XLR (which, if I remember correctly, used to be titled LowBrow).

[color=darkslateblue]Ever since Sailor Moon was taken off of Toonami, I began to drift away from it. The only time I would actually watch Toonami was for Rurouni Kenshin, Cyborg 009, or Yu-Yu-Hakusho. Then they got rid of those, and then Yu-Yu-Hakusho came back...so confused, I gave up on the whole thing.

You know, I never realized Thundercats was an anime. I used to love it.

About this 'Miguzi' thing..I'm kinda mad at the moment. I watch the Saturday thing, *usually Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Jack, and .hack//sign* I'll just have to give up on it, and watch Comedy Central even more. Title sounds stupid anyways.
And last time I know, little kids didn't like homework...they liked electronics and TV. And Cartoon Network is more of a kids program, until getting later into the night, airing adult swim.[/color]

Yet more proof that Cartoon Network really shouldn't be handling anime. Yes, Adult Swim still "keeps it real", but that's just not enough. Here in Upstate NY, anime isn't that big. I don't see much anime/manga, and whatever I do get, usually disappears just when I'm hooked. (Which is one of the many reasons moving to Japan just seems so right.) But at least there's still Shonen Jump...

(As for that deplorable 'Totally Spies' tripe... It's no more than a feeble attempt at popularizing an absolutely retarded, overdone storyline [high-school spies... gimme a break] with an anime-esque surface texture. >_< )

I am with you what is with Totally Spies the show just plain is dumb I used to watch it when they showed new episodes that was like about a year or two ago it used to come on before Toonami at like 2:30 or 3:30 that was when toonami shortened its block to 4 to 6 it decided to go from 3 to 6 again letting Totally Spies become a show that comes on at 6:00 right after Dragonball.

Then another thing I have to know is which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will they be showing the okay one that was so far distant from the comic that aired in the 70s and late 80s and some early 90s. I hope they air the new one that comes on Foxbox that is the better one more revolved around the comic the old one got on my nerves with Beebop and Rocksteady and Krang those were some dumb characters they added to get children to watch thank god when they did the new one they got rid of them and used strictly comic characters and added a few new ones.

I don't like the fact that they added Gundam to the Saturday Toonami block I never did like Gundam and after watching the Gundam where they are little midget Gundams that made me hate it even more. The Only Gundam I ever like was the one iwth the Theme Song Shining Finger love that song what was that guy saying when he started talking in Japanese on that theme song.

I also did not know that Thundercats, Tenchi Muyo, Sailor Moon, and DBZ were animes I did not know of the existance of anime till 2002 summer when I say Adult Swim for the first time I didn't really learn that much about anime till the end of that summer.

Thundercats isn't anime. It's an American cartoon but Rankin/Bass, the series producers, hired a Japanese studio to do the animation. It's nothing different from what is being done to most American made action cartoons.

[url]http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/CrewGuide/showid-10078/ThunderCats/[/url]

Oh no....*groans* Not totally spies!!! I hate that! And so does everyone else who is either over the age of 8 or a guy...
I don't see why you are all complaining. In NZ, its the Australian version of cartoon network. And since NZ is 2 hours behind Australia, Whenever I stay up to watch adult swim (the only anime on other than DBZ) It's on at 1 o'clock in the freakin morning. I can't keep that up on a weeknight! And I only wanted to see Vash...*cries*
In New Zealand, the whole anime lineup is:

Anything before Midnight:
Dragonball.
Dragonball Z.
Pokemon.
Hamtaro.
Zoids.
Crush Gear Turbo.

After midnight:
Neon Genesis
Orphen
Trigun!!!
Tenchi Muyo
See, it sux, doesn't it? I don't think they show Bubblegum Crisis, Gasaraki, or Cowboy Bebop anymore. They might though. In anycase, they were all after midnight. :P

Have fun complaining!!!
Hope it isn't as bad as it sounds for you guys though.
Cinnamon :/

[QUOTE=cinnamon]Oh no....*groans* Not totally spies!!! I hate that! And so does everyone else who is either over the age of 8 or a guy...
I don't see why you are all complaining. In NZ, its the Australian version of cartoon network. And since NZ is 2 hours behind Australia, Whenever I stay up to watch adult swim (the only anime on other than DBZ) It's on at 1 o'clock in the freakin morning. I can't keep that up on a weeknight! And I only wanted to see Vash...*cries*
[/QUOTE]

Record it.... Thats why they have VCRs, or if you want to go a step higher, digitally record it if you have one of those. Certainly you have one of the two.

[color=navy]I'm really not angered by Toonami's move to Saturday nights. Ever since Toonami, originally an action-oriented block, started showing Hamtaro, I knew it was over. I began to drift away from afternoon television programming around that time, anyway, other than when Toonami was going through their YuYu Hakusho / Rurouni Kenshin phase.

Okay, let's look at it this way: Toonami was showing reruns of the same old shows for the majority of the year in 2003. Now, if you've seen these before, and they're just killing one of your favorite shows (Let's use G Gundam for an example. Good series? More or less. Good after seeing the same episode twenty times? No.), is there really much purpose in having five days of the same old stuff every week?

Now, when you have less episodes airing a year you get a more prolonged new episode season. If a non-manga based anime, or any other 26 or 13-episode long series were to be aired five days a week, the series would be over in less than a month and a half at most. Then, through reruns, a perfectly fine series may be ruined because it was re-showed too many times because of its schedule.

Okay, so the lineup that you like has been replaced by a more child-oriented programming block with an even more unpleasant name. So, do what Sara said. During that time that you used to spend watching Toonami, just do your homework or read a book. Then you'll have the rest of the night free to do whatever else.

So now, those of you who were complaining about shows like SD Gundam being on Toonami have no reason to complain about childish programming. All of that mindless garbage that used to clutter this lineup is now gone, and space is left free for better, more mature shows.
[/color]
[quote]
I'm just looking forward to Rave Masters and Megas XLR (which, if I remember correctly, used to be titled LowBrow).[/quote][color=navy]
Wait.. Wasn't LowBrow the name of one of those Cartoon Cartoon shorts that was released the same year as the Kids Next Door pilot? If that's right, I'll be watching all of the new Toonami. That pilot rocked.

EDIT: Heh, I just realized, Miguzi sort of looks like Mizugi, which means swimsuit. That may explain the rumor Heezay mentioned about the underwater environment.

But, with Japanese pronunciation, "Miguzi" would have to be "Miguji", because of a lack of "zi" in most Japanese.[/color]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]I'd like to say this bothers me, but...ehh. The only thing on toonami that I even watch anymore is Yu yu Hakusho, and that's just because I missed it the first several dozen times around.

It's true; Toonami's been stale for at least the past two years. best that they stop now rather than continue degrading their former glory. (Glory being a relative term)

The good anime is on Adult Swim, and Saturday night provides the rest. I don't really have time to watch TV in the afternoons anyway (except for the Simpsons at five), so...yeah, this just does'nt bother me.

Oh, I'd also like to take this time to point out that the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series kicked all kinds of arse (At least for the first couple a' seasons) . Krang pwns you; Krang pwns everyone.[/color][/size][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
I think the only thing I like about Cartoon Network nowadays is Adult Swim. I just record my favorite shows and watch them after school. I love Rurouni Kenshin, but why couldn't they put it on Adult Swim in the first place instead of butchering it for Toonami? I guess as long as they give me new episodes, I'll be happy. I also wish they would bring back Gundam Wing. I have never seen the series, and now that I'm actually interested in it it's gone. I also miss Sailor Moon and Tenchi... I watched those in 6th grade, before I even knew what anime was.
Because of CN, I'm starting to be more interested in manga than anime. Barnes & Noble is the best place on Earth!

[color=darkviolet] I didn't know they still had that thing at all!

I stopped watching Cartoon Network in general after Tenchi, Gundam Wing, and SailorMoon were taken off the air. I have to work in the mornings so I can't very well stay up until 1:00Am watching repeats of InuYasha.

The whole place has gone down hill I guess. Maybe too much TV really does rot your brain and these poor peopel are right in the middle of it.

Oh well, so long to an era.[/color]