OtakuBoards

Otakuboards Religious Thread

Epitome

Okay, people. Before typing anything else, why don't you have a look at a fascinating little book entitled "The Elements of Style"? It's the single best grammar and punctuation reference in existence, but also teaches you how to write concisely. I enjoyed reading the first four pages of this thread.... it'd be nice if we could put this ridiculous squabble into perspective and then move on.

Anyway, I guess I'd be considered agnostic. Despite that, I'm fairly well educated when it comes to the Bible and Presbyterianism in general (my familiarity with other denominations is minimal at best). I'm currently in a confirmation class, although I don't plan on actually being confirmed, and I go to services every Sunday morning. Although I do this purely to preserve familial harmony, it's nice to have gained an understanding of the doctrines I disagree with. Tony is absolutely right: it's rather silly to reject a religion without knowing very much about it.

Narius, you said "read and then reply." So that's what I'm going to do. But if you insist on turning a civil discussion into a flame-ridden argument (as you did before) don't count on me to respond again.

I find it amusing that you think it's ludicrous "to believe in a book." Where would humanity be without great works like "The Prince," "Common Sense," and "The Republic"? The first was written by Machiavelli, the second by Thomas Paine, and the third by Plato. Can you honestly suggest that the Bible has nothing to offer, not even in terms of sheer literary value? If so, far be it from me to stop you. Just try backing up your opinion in other ways.

atheist [i]n.[/i] One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Atheism really doesn't encompass anything more than that.

[quote name='Narius'] said I don't believe, you're saying that atheism may have been created by someone who was jealous of the "truth." Thus claiming there is some monumental truth that all must follow which is in fact quite contradictory to claiming that you accept other people's opinions. Hmmmmm...hypocritical as well I see.[/quote]

I accept others' opinions, but I don't necessarily think they're right. You can't accuse a person of being hypocritical because he's obeying the dictates of his religion. According to the Bible and other Christian documents, Christianity [i]is[/i] the "monumental truth that all must follow." If a Christian didn't believe in that simple statement, then he wouldn't be a true Christian.

~Dagger~

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an Atheist but I will say that I respect other's rights to worship whatever they want - in a way, I actually find it nice that people can stick to their faith so steadily despite the horrible things that people do and say sometimes.

I know the Bible decently enough, I suppose, but I haven't read it in a long time, heh. I will say that, though I don't believe in the Bible as a holy doctrine, it's still more than possible to actually get something out of it, as Dagger said. Whether you believe the events of the Bible actually happened or not, the Bible still offers plenty of moral guidance and things of that nature. I mean, it's pretty powerful when even an Atheist like me can learn lots of stuff from the Bible lol. It's a very wise book, for the most part.

[COLOR=darkred]also I never said there is a single truth that all [i]must[/i] follow, all I said was that there is a single truth, a single reasoning behind all that is, was, and will be, none of us can truly know what that truth is untill the end of our lives, that does not mean however that we have to follow it, one may be shown the truth and still choose a different path, wether that different path will end in the same way as what ever the truth might be or if it ends in a way completely different is up to them, but you twisted my words to make it sound as though I was preaching, and I was doing no such thing[/COLOR]

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']I just want to know what the heck is Wiccan I know a little bit about it some people consider it to be related to say Devil Worship or Witch like activities I just hate it when people confuse Goths and Wiccans they are diffrent people just don't see that.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Wicca is a nature based religion. Interestingly enough though, the word Wicca comes from the old english word Wiccae meaning wise one, which is also where you'd get witch. I'm still new to the craft, so I don't know much about it to give you a good enough explaination. However, I can clear a few things up:
Wiccans, Pagans if you' rather since that word refers to people who follow a non-Judeo-christian or polytheistic religion (it also comes from the Latin Pagani meaning Country dweller) We don't worship the devil. Heck, we don't even believe in the devil so how can we worship him? Also, we can't fly brooms (even tho if we could it would save on buying airplane tickets) or change people into toads and such. Even tho it would be fun if we could do those things.

Both men and women are considered witches-yes, that's right, I married a witch. The word, Warlock, which many people consider to mean a male witch is from the old scottish language. The word actually means oath breaker. It's not something you really want to be called.

I'm curious about the witchlike activities you're talking about though. Would you care to explain? Anyway, I hope I've cleared a few things up for you.[/color]

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']Also I need to find out what religion I want to be right know im in the Christianity Branch the closets thing to that is Muslim since they both believe in Allah or God just have diffrent views I'm not with the Hindu religion with its Varna's and its ladders of reincarnation and things I've had Christianity slammed into my mouth so much I find reincarnation to be a joke im not playing I do believe in inner peace and tranquility of the mind and soul and karma, but not enough to try out the Buddhist religion I have a little anger problem that would make that kind of hard.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I'd recommend not saying you [i]need[/i] to find out which religion you belong to and instead say you [i]want[/i] to find which religion you belong to. If you either pray or meditate on it the religion or path you are meant to follow will usually find you. If you don't feel fulfilled by what you're following right now, maybe takling a book on a different religion from the library would help. Or you could talk to people about what they follow. And don't let anger make you feel as tho you can't follow a certain religion. I'm one of the nastiest people sometimes, and I'm sure even Justin has had the urge to smakc someone once or twice so religion is not about being perfect, it's about where you find peace in yourself

Again, I hope I helped.[/color]

[quote name='Mikkaddo][COLOR=DarkRed']*looks around and sighs* well might as well say it, I'm animalist, and to those who would imediatly ask it . . . no I don't worship animals, what I follow is rather a small not very well known form of Wiccan[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I've heard of animalism, but I've never been quite sure what it involves. I don't really follow a specific path in Wicca. My husband and I are eclectic. I guess that's because it fits or personalities. I'm curious as to how you decided to choose animalism as your path. That is, if you don't mind talking about it.[/color]

[quote name='Altron']I believe that since there are many different religions all around the world, they are all correct (unless you are far off my beaten path)[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]So basically, anyone who thinks the way you do is right in their faith, but anyone who doesn't is wrong? That's an interesting theory, but I don't think it really works out to your best advantage. I could be wrong, but that's only because I haven't found everything out yet.[/color]

[quote name='altron']Let me explain. People evolved all over the world, without exposer to other religion. It seems that some God inspired every religion in some way shape or form ex: Jesus, Buddah, Mohammed, etc. I believe that we are all worshipping the same God, just under different cultures. Do you understand? Each culture (I theorize) must've been worshipping the same God, just with cultural variations excusive to the region. (I dont mean to generalize, forgive me) For example: in some countries in the middle east, women are treated terribly, but that is their religion. that is how its done, how it was done, and how it will be for a while. Christians worship in a more Western way than Hindus or other religions do. Do you wanna know why? Cause they 'evolved' in different areas.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Okay, first off your theory on women in the Middle East has a [i][b]BIG[/b][/i] flaw. Their treatment has nothing to do with the religion practiced in those countries , but instead with the way their religion has been interpreted. (OutlawStar can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this). You may be thinking of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan as proof of your findings, but that's not how the Koran is supposed to be interpreted, with women completely covering themselves and receiving no education. Of course, the head scarf is part of the religion, but that's not the same thing.

Second, concerning the Eastern religions, many eastern religions are polytheistic (Hinduism and Shintoism for example) meaning that instead of one God, they call upon many gods [i]and[/i] goddesses. Also, creation is looked upon differently. One Native American story from the Iriqoi tribes of Western New York says that the earth was created on the back of a giant turtle after the god of heaven pushed his wife thru a hole in the sky. There is a story from Shinto beliefs that Izami and Inami (the names could be wrong) were a god and goddess who created Japan. So yes, your theory is half right, many religions are based on a God, but quite a few of them are based on a Goddess as well.[/color]

[quote name='altron']I probably repeated myself many times, but there it is. Again, forgive me if you are in any way offended by my comments etc. I did not mean to...[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I was only slightly offended, but I was mostly intrigued as to why you felt this way. Besides, it's always fun to debate religion as long as both parties are willing to be mature and realize that their way isn't always the best way or the right way in general.

Okay, now my fingers hurt and I need to potty, happy reading![/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Wicca is a nature based religion. Interestingly enough though, the word Wicca comes from the old english word Wiccae meaning wise one, which is also where you'd get witch. I'm still new to the craft, so I don't know much about it to give you a good enough explaination. However, I can clear a few things up:
Wiccans, Pagans if you' rather since that word refers to people who follow a non-Judeo-christian or polytheistic religion (it also comes from the Latin Pagani meaning Country dweller) We don't worship the devil. Heck, we don't even believe in the devil so how can we worship him? Also, we can't fly brooms (even tho if we could it would save on buying airplane tickets) or change people into toads and such. Even tho it would be fun if we could do those things.

I'm curious about the witchlike activities you're talking about though. Would you care to explain? Anyway, I hope I've cleared a few things up for you.[/color][/quote]

Wouldn't chanting or swaying over a fire, be in way, worshipping nature. Like, when you chant in a forrest trying to get energy from the ground so that you can have the power to heal, for example, a sick relative. If you are trying to gather energy, or are chanting to some god or goddess, I believe that would be an example of paganism, would it not?

[quote][color=darkviolet]Second, concerning the Eastern religions, many eastern religions are polytheistic (Hinduism and Shintoism for example) meaning that instead of one God, they call upon many gods [i]and[/i] goddesses. Also, creation is looked upon differently. One Native American story from the Iriqoi tribes of Western New York says that the earth was created on the back of a giant turtle after the god of heaven pushed his wife thru a hole in the sky. There is a story from Shinto beliefs that Izami and Inami (the names could be wrong) were a god and goddess who created Japan. So yes, your theory is half right, many religions are based on a God, but quite a few of them are based on a Goddess as well.[/color] [/QUOTE]

Actually, in truth...Eastern religions like Shintoism and Bhuddism, belive that everything has a spirit, and not that everything is a god or goddess. Though, I am not saying that they don't believe in just one god.

Islam though believes in only one god, Allah (sp?). I agree with you somewhat Chibi. The way that men treat women over there has been falsey thought about. Some of it is religion though too. If I remember right, the religion tells women to be conservative in the way they dress. Also, when they go to the tempole to pray, the men and boys are in front and the women and girls in back of them. That, they believe is a way to be conservative.
Though, having a woman get flogged for showing a bit of ankle, or even white socks is really absurd.

Finally, about my religion. I too believe in Christianity. We belive in only one God. He is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They are all one.

Also, you can't be Bhuddist and be a Christian at the same time, Battosai....Don't get mad at me, but I have told you time and time again.

In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again to wash away your sins. Also, if you feel that you are Wiccan and Christian, or many other different types of religion combinations, then, you aren't a...how should I put this....well, you may of been mislead.

The very first and most important commandment in the Ten commandments is this:

[b]"You shall have no other gods before me."[/b]

If you are a Wiccan, then your god is nature.

If you are Bhuddist, then your god is every single thing.

Those are my thoughts on the matter. Sorry if I offended you. I am only being mature about the matter.

[QUOTE=Japan_86]

Those are my thoughts on the matter. Sorry if I offended you. I am only being mature about the matter.[/QUOTE]

Well, thats good and all, but actually, Wiccan's have a God and a Goddess, though some Wiccans worship strictly the Goddess. I am a weather-hedge-kitchen witch(ask me) with wiccan and celtic traditions thrown in.

And it is possible to be a Christian Witch. You believe in Christ/God, but eather dissagree with some stuff, or something, but you practice magic. That is not my case.

[QUOTE=Japan_86]In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again to wash away your sins. Also, if you feel that you are Wiccan and Christian, or many other different types of religion combinations, then, you aren't a...how should I put this....well, you may of been mislead.

The very first and most important commandment in the Ten commandments is this:

[b]"You shall have no other gods before me."[/b]

Those are my thoughts on the matter. Sorry if I offended you. I am only being mature about the matter.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet] I don't really know how to put this, but I'm willing to give it a try.

First, what CallMe said is true, there are Christian witches. They call on Saints. Their Goddess is the Virgin Mary the God is God and the Son is Jesus (read about Yule rituals and note how we celabrate Yule/Solstice around the same time as Christmas is generally celebrated and you'll understand the connection) Of course, it's confusing enough for me to remember that Shiva goes with Kali so as eclectic as I am, I stay away from that.

As for wiccan's having nature as a God well, Nature is not a god it's not a diety at all. Of course, if a witch wanted to do something for nature he or she may call upon Diana, Artemis or Geb and Nephthys, depending on your tradition, but that's different than actually worshipping nature. I think (Call, help me out, I'm still new to this)

Okay, now for the fun part of my post: Did you know that the Christian version of the devil is believed to be taken from the image of Pan, The greek God of wild places and things? Well, if not, you learn something new every day.[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet] I don't really know how to put this, but I'm willing to give it a try.

First, what CallMe said is true, there are Christian witches. They call on Saints. Their Goddess is the Virgin Mary the God is God and the Son is Jesus (read about Yule rituals and note how we celabrate Yule/Solstice around the same time as Christmas is generally celebrated and you'll understand the connection) Of course, it's confusing enough for me to remember that Shiva goes with Kali so as eclectic as I am, I stay away from that.

As for wiccan's having nature as a God well, Nature is not a god it's not a diety at all. Of course, if a witch wanted to do something for nature he or she may call upon Diana, Artemis or Geb and Nephthys, depending on your tradition, but that's different than actually worshipping nature. I think (Call, help me out, I'm still new to this)

Okay, now for the fun part of my post: Did you know that the Christian version of the devil is believed to be taken from the image of Pan, The greek God of wild places and things? Well, if not, you learn something new every day.[/color][/QUOTE]

Thats true. And, for all of you out there, Wiccans don't believe in a Devil. Aradia, the Queen of Witches, is the daughter of Diana and Lucifer.

Okay, I basically worship Artemis/Diana more than anything, but I am not a true Wiccan. i am a witch that follows some Wiccan themes. And don't worry, Chibi, I'm not very good, but from the looks of it, I know a little more than you.

I'm glad we finally got off of that. It's not as if Christianity was the only religion being discussed in here anyway...

[quote name='Japan_86']If you are Bhuddist, then your god is every single thing.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly... That's not really how it works.

Buddhists don't have creator god(s) or personal god(s), unlike Christian based religions. They just seek enlightenment by understanding the Four Truths and Dependant Origination and by the settling of karmic debts (in other words, reach nirvana and pass into parinirvana - nirvana is the supreme state of enlightenment, not actually "heaven" as most people think of it).

The Dharma (Buddha's teachings) asks that all sentient beings be protected. If you understand Dependant Origination, you will most likely realize that everything comes from something and eventually becomes something else that will create even more things. Because of this, all things almost have a heightened sense of importance... however, I wouldn't say that they would be "gods".

Honestly, Buddhism makes more actual sense to me than anything else there is to follow. I don't know why I skipped it at this point.

Hmmmmm interesting........I have a question then...Do the Bhuddists hold plants sacred as well? They are living things. See I always have a gripe about how vegatarians don't eat meat because it's a living being, but so are plants.....anyway back to the topic. Do the bhuddists respect plantlife as well? I assume they do but, to what degree?

[quote name='Gelgoog Pilot']Hmmmmm interesting........I have a question then...Do the Bhuddists hold plants sacred as well? They are living things. See I always have a gripe about how vegatarians don't eat meat because it's a living being, but so are plants.....anyway back to the topic. Do the bhuddists respect plantlife as well? I assume they do but, to what degree?[/quote]

Heh, yeah, I always got mad about that, too. I don't know, but I honor every living thing. How? By showing it its good enough to eat. If its edible. If it isn't... uh, I let the Goddess decide what to do with it. ^^;

I'm not really sure how to answer that, exactly.... but plants are not sentient beings. That's pretty much the most important aspect of it, I'd say.

Buddha was not a strict vegetarian in the sense that many people are today. When he and his monks/followers prepared food, they would not prepare meat in the meal. However, if someone else made a meal and it wasn't prepared specifically for them, they were allowed to eat the meat. Basically, they couldn't eat sentient creatures if they were killed specifically for their personal consumption. However, Buddha's death was supposedly hastened by a piece of tainted meat... so obviously they did eat meat in certain situations. It's kind of confusing, but makes sense if you read it a couple times lol. Most Buddhists now are strict vegetarians.

I don't feel that means that they don't "respect" the plant life, though. I feel that if you understand the concept of Dependant Origination,you'll have a sense of respect for all things anyway.

I don't belong to any religions. Tell you the truth, I don't like the thought of "higher powers" so therefore, I don't beleive in a God or Godess. I just think we come, we live, we breed, we die. And from there, nothing. No resurrection, reincarnation, just death. Besides that, I don't even beleive life itself is a good thing. I have a theory that it's more of a virus. An incurable one at that.

Life is sexually transmited and always fatal. You'll find it out when you die someday and find nothing but hey, it's just my opinion.

[size=2][color=sienna]Alright, this is what I've read from books by Dan Brown, which are [i]vastly[/i] fact. All rituals, documents, etc. meantioned in the books are real, or however you want to word it. However, some of this information might be flawed, which I am aware of. *dons a flame-proof vest*[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Apparently, association with witches and devil worship was spread by the Catholic Church, in order to convert more Pagans into Christians. The Church also [i]apparently [/i]associated other religions with Satan.[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Examples:[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Neptune's trident became the Devil's pitchfork[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]A Pagan God (I can't remember which) of Male Firtility's horn's became the Devil's[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Etcetera, etcetera. (I obviously had a mental lapse)[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]I can't remember more, but there's always that theory (or belief) that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and had children/a child. I've also read that there are two other Gospels.[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]I'm Protestant with some tweaked beliefs. I'm not overly vehement about blaspheme or anything, and I'm kinda unsure about the Bible's accuracy. However, I agree with what has been said about the book's moral value. [/color][/size]

[size=2][color=sienna]Oh, by the way Narius... [/color][/size]

[size=2][color=sienna]O_o[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Maybe you should read and then reply...?[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Or at least let off on the arrogance, which you're going to deny you have. ~_^[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Bio][size=2][color=sienna]Alright, this is what I've read from books by Dan Brown, which are [i]vastly[/i] fact. All rituals, documents, etc. meantioned in the books are real, or however you want to word it. However, some of this information might be flawed, which I am aware of. *dons a flame-proof vest*[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Apparently, association with witches and devil worship was spread by the Catholic Church, in order to convert more Pagans into Christians. The Church also [i]apparently [/i]associated other religions with Satan.[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Examples:[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Neptune's trident became the Devil's pitchfork[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]A Pagan God (I can't remember which) of Male Firtility's horn's became the Devil's[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Etcetera, etcetera. (I obviously had a mental lapse)[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]I can't remember more, but there's always that theory (or belief) that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and had children/a child. I've also read that there are two other Gospels.[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]I'm Protestant with some tweaked beliefs. I'm not overly vehement about blaspheme or anything, and I'm kinda unsure about the Bible's accuracy. However, I agree with what has been said about the book's moral value. [/color][/size]

[size=2][color=sienna]Oh, by the way Narius... [/color][/size]

[size=2][color=sienna]O_o[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Maybe you should read and then reply...?[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]Or at least let off on the arrogance, which you're going to deny you have. ~_^[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

All niceley said! ^^ Yeah. I think that hey, everything is NEVEr translated exact, so along the way, since the Bible was written over a long preiod of time and in Gods know HOW many languages, it could be extremley far from what it said originally.

[COLOR=DarkRed]well time for me to put in my next 2 cents, Chibi I sent a PM explaining Animalism . . . be warned . . . its the readers digest form, meaning paraphrased to the max. anyway, animalism is as I said a very small and not well known division of Wiccan, instead of a set god or godess or combonation of the two, there are three Great spirits and a huge number of lesser or Guiding spirits. the big three are Life, Death, and Chaos (Chibi once you read my PM this will be verrrry familiar) also the lesser spirits rule over very specific things, whilest Life and Death constantly battle to keep Chaos locked away. [/COLOR]

Thats interesting, Mikkaddo. Animalism... it sounds like a very neat religion. ^^ Life Death and Chaos... interesting concept. How much do you know about it? I would like to learn more, to ad to my ecletic life path. Has anyone heard of the Druid Animal Roacle? It is sorta like Tarot cards(I'm getting my own deck fro my B-day!Tarot...) only it describes the different animals in the druidic religion. Has nice cards, too.

I thought it was common knowledge that the Church applied Pagan views to their religion in an effort to make pagan-ism seem like a "wrong" choice. The devil stuff is a good example, plus all the conversions of Pagan holidays.

There are other gospels that are left out of most copies of the Bible as well. Depends on the version. Stuff like the Infant Gospels and such. I don't buy any of the Mary Magdelene stuff though. There's almost no proof other than a mistranslation that she was even a prositute and everyone thinks she was one anyway. Why listen to yet another offbeat theory? lol

Chibbi thanks for the advice, but I don't think I need to be tackling any other books on other religions just yet I am only 14.
The only other religion I would think of learning about would have to be on the Islamic religion cause its the closets thing to Christianity they both believe in God just have diffrent views on how he wants us to worship him and believe. Each one also differs on the prophets of the religion, so I think I would be best suited to study that one since I already know some information about the religion.

One thing about this forum that has been bugging me is why are a few people using Christianity as a example Narius stop trying to use it as an example for you to flame about a religion you don't understand also Darius I think your views are alright, but I truly don't believe life to be a virus more like a gift that must be returned sooner or later.

One type of person who truly makes me mad are the kind of people who are Christians and think that if you believe in Darwins ideas that you are not a Christian instead you're a sinner and should repent. These people I consider to be narrow minded I tell them we go over it in Science class its been proven that life comes from one cell and the cell evolves and multiplies to make one being, but no they say that teachers are mad to teach Darwinism they would not teach it if they had a choice.

[COLOR=DarkRed]well I don't know that much anymore, since its been a few years sinve I have been able to find any credible info . . . but I can tell ya what I know, in PM to escape the possible arguments, and inevitable contraversy that would ensue . . . [/COLOR]

I wonder if anyone could explain the differences between Catholics and Christians. I know they stemmed from the same religion, but after that the definition gets fuzzy. I've asked several friends who belong to one or the other, but they had difficulty telling me how they differed.

Mikkaddo--would you please explain Animalism in greater detail? I realize you've already told it to Chibi, but the rest of us missed out.

I hope this doesn't get the whole mess started again, but I feel this is important.

Narius--I did, in fact, take offence to your posts. However, it was not the message you shared. It was the way you worded it. You did not make an effort to be civil. Others who share the same ideas you do did not get the response you did. Your overall post attitude was negative and crafted to create an argument. If you truly get off on this, perhaps you are in need of a different board. There are probably like-minded individuals waiting for you on other sites.
Also, implying that the followers of organized religions are blindly doing so was very insulting. This thread is here so folks of every belief can share WHY they believe what they believe. Regrettably, there are people in existence today who do what others tell them. It is a sad, but true, part of life. I don't think they would be posting here though; they wouldn't have the motivation required to regurgitate another’s words.

Sorry everybody. I really had to get that off my chest.

Uhhhhh......I think you are a little confused there. See Catholics are a sub-group OF christianity. To be a christian is to blelieve that Jesus was the son of God. I know this because I was a Catholic for oh.....say 17 years. I sorta stopped believing in it. heh. Anyway You might mean a difference between catholics and protastants or methodists and such. All these I listed (and there are more) are sub-groups of christianity.

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]There are tons of movies that have to do with witch hunts... I don't know if they have to do with "burning times" as you put it, but many have the same story structure as you're suggesting here.

[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]The burning times refere to the time between 1484 when Pope Innocent VIII wrote his Papal Bull (I'd like to add a four letter word onto that) quickly followed by the Malleus Malleficarum or Witches Hammer by Heinrich Kramer and Jakob Sprenger two German Monks in 1486 and lasted until the late 1700's with the last excecution happening in Poland in 1793.

Interestingly enough, I think a movie truely based on this would be more violent than The Passion since so many people were totured and klilled.

But enough about that, it's history. History we should learn from, but still history.[/color]

[QUOTE=IceWolfEyes]I wonder if anyone could explain the differences between Catholics and Christians. I know they stemmed from the same religion, but after that the definition gets fuzzy. I've asked several friends who belong to one or the other, but they had difficulty telling me how they differed.

Icewolfeyes[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I was raised Catholic, I know that supposedly there are differences between the two, but I've never quite understood how since I always thought that being Catholic was the same as being Christian since it was from the same belief system of Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

I mean, sure there are churches where singing, dancing and even playing musical instrumens during church are discouraged. I went to an Easter Service at The Church Of Christ while in Texas, it was the most depressing Easter Service I had ever been to. They played-or more accurately-sang these really depressing songs and here I was thinking they would be joyful for the rebirth of their savior. Needless to say I never went back. But they don't differ in their beliefs.

I've also asked people what the difference is and nobody seems to be able to give a strait answer-well almost anyone:

I went to go pick my husband up from work one day since his car was in the shop and somehow managed to get into a religious discussion with some guy. He actually told me that Catholics aren't Christians since they also believe in the Saints and sometimes call on them for help-he compared that to being a pagan. Of course he then took that to mean that Catholics are Idolators who actually worship the Devil and not God. Unfortunately Lincoln came out from final formation by then, so I didn't get to laugh in his face like I wanted to.

Well, there's my answer to that question, let's hope someone can give more insight than what I did.[/color]

Hey guys, I know this is really dumb, but this just sorta sparked in my mind. Remember [I]The Blair Witch Project[/I] ? Did this movie (or movie(s) if you include the just as lame sequel) have ANY connection to actual witches or wicca? I doubt it, but just a thought.

I know NOTHING about wicca etc, but just the fact that its in a forest, forests are nature, wicca is based on nature (maybe I do no a little bit :p ) so maybe it was loosely based on actual facts or something.

But man, were those ridiculous movies :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Uhhhhh......I think you are a little confused there. See Catholics are a sub-group OF christianity. To be a christian is to blelieve that Jesus was the son of God. I know this because I was a Catholic for oh.....say 17 years. I sorta stopped believing in it. heh. Anyway You might mean a difference between catholics and protastants or methodists and such. All these I listed (and there are more) are sub-groups of christianity.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Gelgoog Pilot, I'm only confused about how they differ from one another. And, if you can believe this, Christianity evolved from the Jewish religion. The forerunners for Christianity were Jewish (Jesus was Jewish, heh). Problem was, we believe in the one G-d, and the forerunners wanted Jesus to be our Messiah. The general population did not accept the idea, and Christianity was born. From Christianity branched several different religions, among them the Catholics. Now, what I want to know is, why did the Catholics branch off? What do they believe that is so radically different from Christianity that they had to rename their faith?

*Edit* So, Chibi, they pray to saints instead of to Jesus?