OtakuBoards

Otakuboards Religious Thread

Epitome

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]
Anyway....

I've always been intrigued by the idea of reincarnation. Could somebody list the religions that consider it a possibility? I'd also be interested in learning whether any of them have a positive outlook on reincarnation.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Buddhisim is the only religion that I know so far that has reincarnation is a possibility....

There's many theories on Reincarnations. You can reincarnate as a cat, dog, cockroach, relive as a human, anything. Or you become a higher form in life. Like dog ---> human. But I don't think a bear is higher then a human being XD.

If you're reincarnated, you have no idea who you are. Since thats the brain's job to remember. Not your will. You personality carrys with you and your normal habits. I don't think Paranoia carrys over. If it does, we're in a big crisis lol. Well this is my opinion. The 1st paragraph is theories.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed]I can answer that at least partially. every religion has certain signs that are reserved as proof that "the end is near" however, sometimes people can kind of take it into their own hands, and read so much into it that anytime a storm comes by they scream "FLOOD!" which means that the few people that read that much into those signs take it soo seriously that when they saw the Iraq war the freaked (like most of the rest of us), but then when they saw the dip in the economy they went berzerk. but probably the first clue they saw was the Twin Towers. chances are though, these "signs of the end" they are talking about are from Nostradamus' predictions as to what will happen in the future. which has predicted a number of things correctly. but they read so much into it that they start to think we are all going to die because a war started. but who knows eh? they might be right. I mean you can never really know. we may all drop dead of some strange diseas at any time, the next war could be the 1 that ends us all. . . . and I think I went off a bit there man, but I hope I answered your question.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]because its a "disscusion" its not meant to be posted in if your going to continue to degrade people as you have. if you really feel I am so offensive to you, you can leave. I don't leave because I am actually stating helpful facts to people rather than using one tired example and ridiculing the people that speak differently than I do. you obviously haven't read my other posts. I am helping people that seek info on other religions, other than what I follow. where as you have lowered your posts to nothing more than insults now. you have less reason to post than anyone else here if that is all you now have to say. I however have a reason to stay. I know about more than just what I believe. because unlike you, even though I don't follow them I still read up on other religions. where as you just read up on one, and use it as your "proof" as to how religion is false. if anyone makes it easy to insult the other its you frankly. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Mikkaddo][COLOR=DarkRed']because its a "disscusion" its not meant to be posted in if your going to continue to degrade people as you have. if you really feel I am so offensive to you, you can leave. I don't leave because I am actually stating helpful facts to people rather than using one tired example and ridiculing the people that speak differently than I do. you obviously haven't read my other posts. I am helping people that seek info on other religions, other than what I follow. where as you have lowered your posts to nothing more than insults now. you have less reason to post than anyone else here if that is all you now have to say. I however have a reason to stay. I know about more than just what I believe. because unlike you, even though I don't follow them I still read up on other religions. where as you just read up on one, and use it as your "proof" as to how religion is false. if anyone makes it easy to insult the other its you frankly. [/COLOR][/quote]
Just wondering if your religious beliefs have something against the edit button...I mean....really.

Anywhoo, To claim that I have nothing to contribute may or may not be correct. Since you already know all this stuff I suppose I would have more to learn about that you so I should be here more than you. Now you say I am only here to cause a ruckus, and yet you were the one to bring up the fight again. I was not planning on replying again, I had nothing to say until you took a cheap shot about "Acting Like Narius" if you hadn't simply decided to randomly flame me in the middle of one of your posts I wouldn't be here, so it your fault, not mine. Ridiculing the pople who speak differently than me......wait what the hell does that even mean? Are you failing at trying to to say that I make fun of other religions again or have to stated calling me a racists for no apparent reason I don't know. Seriously though I could technically go back and break apart every single post I made in this topic from beginning to end and point out the fact that I never stated anything against any other religion as fact. Its not all I have to say, its simply a preoccupation due to the fact that you brought it up. C'mon you make fun of me, then expect me to sit there and say nothing? OK buddy. -_-. Actually I never read up on christianity, one of my friends happens to be a devout christian, and I'm talking engimatic sort of devotion. I also know very basic ideals of Buddhism and Judism. I just don't feel like discussing them, simply decided to tell people my beliefs then people like you get all whiny and angry. I also never tried to prove religion is faulse, you're making things up again.

[quote]if anyone makes it easy to insult the other its you frankly. [/quote]

.....I make it easy to insult the other?.....uuuuuhhhh....I don't even think frankly works in that sentence context.

[COLOR=DarkRed]again you do nothing more than prove that your only reason to continue postin in this thread is to try and make me say "ohh Im so sad! you make me prove myself wrong!" which has yet to happen, you simply continuously insult, if you have nothing except insults to contribute than you can, no should leave. if you really do have anything helpful to anyone with a question you should answer it rather than sit there and try to suceed at an unatainable goal. and also, yes frankly does work in that sentence, but I see that you don't have any knowledge of speach any older than about 1995 so you wouldn't understand the slight differences between times before and now. [/COLOR]

If you stop replying I wouldn't have a reason to reply would I? And yet you seem obsessed with making me out to be the bad guy. If you want me to stop replying here, stop trying to slam me so I don't have to reply. Simple as that, if you ignore this post and continue on with your day/ thread, then I will not reply, Its as simple as that. Yet I doubt you will do that some how.

and uhh for the language thing...yeah the sentence that you explained the language was wrong...which is pretty bad. And yeah Frankly isn't an old word to try and figure out or anything, its still in use today.

[COLOR=DarkRed]origins man, origins, it was originally old, and is used rarely today, but they way I speak usually in person and somewhat online uses that old sort of language, and go ahead and reply to this, Im sure you'll find a way to try and degrade me again[/COLOR]

Well. I was a catholic for 17 years as I stated before. And after a while.......I began to question it. I don't really believe in it anymore. Though I would call myself an athiest. Hmmmm, It's hard to explain but God seemed to show himself alot more in the 'ancient' times. The question that riddled me was....Why did he stop? Or was this the manipulation of the wirters and founders of the religion?

I'm not going to argue the point right now in it's fullest, unless some one wants me too. So I'll just leave it at this. ;)

Oh yes, I don't know if you relise how many times people told me that.......and trust me there were times in my life while I stilled believed in him and I wanted him to show himself with all my heart. He never once showed up. I guess you couls say I think he may excist but that he doesn't give a damn sometimes. No offense. But If there is one God why would he allow so many other people misinterpret him and then kill each other over him? Doesn't that sound odd for a merciful God?

[size=1][color=darkred]From the beginning gentlemen!

[quote=Narius]Eh, your all far too close minded. I'm a devout athiest, therefor I disbelieve in the fact there is a god, or anything else the "Holy" book tells about. To say there has to be a beginning is false, you simply believe there has to be a beginning. Just because some guy wrote a book about his beliefs doesn't make it true. Organized religion is a ludicrous idea to me, it assumes a certain faction of assimilation that should not be followed, to blindly believe in what somebody tells you is the truth is pointless. Now I'm not saying that I risregard your right to believe in what you believe, but believe in it because you want to, not because your family does and you got dragged along for the ride. I believe that we are here simply because we are, there is no concrete proof to tell me otherwise so I don't believe it. When we die I don't believe we get judged and sent to either heaven or hell, I believe consciousness simply ends, we no longer exist, its as simple as that.

Oh creating controversy, I love it.
[/quote]

You didn't say it was wrong, however you stated your beliefs in the most crass, and offensive manner. You shied clear of openly refuting Christianity, but you did...portray your beliefs in a very offensive manner.
And you then crowed about 'controversy' over something which really only showed how bad you are. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Narius']Never said I was more enlightened, but to believe 100% that everything had to start some where is infact close minded....in fact it could be used to define the word. Anything else you want to bore me with?[/quote]
No, Mr Bigshot. Why is it closeminded? By definition, open-mindedness is the willingness to accept that anything could be true. You don't. You've stated that you don't, quite vehemently. Saying something had to start is closeminded. But you are saying that something didn't have to start somewhere is close-minded as well.

[quote name='narius']Its funny that everyone did exactly as I suspected, defend their belief without truly reading what I said.[/quote] People defend their beliefs against rudeness? Shocking.

[quote]The meaning of conroversy obviously escapes you, a working usage of the english language would be beneficial before you post random inane spam flames.[/quote] Random, inane flames? I'm hurt. I thought it was quite appropriate, considering. Aah well. Controversy. I know what it means. However, a more appropriate synonym would be appropriate, such as 'disagreement' or 'dispute'. And yes, they are synonyms.

[quote]Once again that english language thing, hard language I know but try to keep up.[/quote]
I have no problem with English. Do you? Unless it is just typing that is highlighting your spelling and grammatical errors.

[quote]By your logic, to claim someone close minded and not be open to the fact that he is open minded would make you close minded, hey its you're logic, not mine.[/quote] Oh, I accept that you could be open-minded, but you haven't shown me that so far. I am open-minded on religion, not necessarily everything. Especially not...egotists.

Atheism is a disbelief in Gods. Rather, believing that there are no Gods. Putting faith into the fact that this is a godless existence we live.

[Funny to see you disappear here when all the 'big scary smart' people appeared]

[quote name='Narius']Funny because you just said the same thing I said about my beliefs, but about your own, only less bluntly. You say A certain religion didn't make sense to you, as did I, You said you believed in something else that pretty much went completely against the teachings of another religion, as did I. Strange how someone who did the same thing as me would actually then judge me in the same post. Guh, some people's children.[/quote]
Only thing is, Sir, he didn't insult everyone in a rude, crass manner! Don't forget, you're someones child too!

[quote name='Narius']Once again the degrading flames of a childish fool. Perhaps you want to remain on topic rather than trying to belittle me hmm? Or is your arguement so flimsy you have to use personal attacks to keep up? That would make much more sense in this case. Lets see here.[/quote]

Let's see indeed.

[quote=Narius's various attacks]your reading comprehension is just so pathetic it almost makes me want to cry. I mean have you passed grade three english? I would seriously love to know if you have, cuz it would amaze me if you did.

so yeah you are being quite a dick,

I on the other hand am now personally attack you because well, your a hypocrite like I said before and quite a dumb one at that.

then some moron is gonna flame you

[/quote]

>.< Ooh, low blows. Oh.. wait. You don't do cheap personal attacks do you?

[quote]If you stop replying I wouldn't have a reason to reply would I? [/quote]

If [i]you[/i] stopped replying, he wouldn't have reason to reply. Everyone wants to have the last word.

This, to everyone: Believe in religion or not. Accept that others are free and have their own choices. Pressure not others to convert, but let it be known that it is open for them.

Basically, people can make their own decisions, and as long as they don't infringe upon any other person... they deserve to be allowed.

Also, frankly means to be concise. Or short. The word is understandable in that context, I'm afraid.[/size][/color]

First, Mikkado, you've double posted a few times in this thread. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Second, I'd appreciate it if everyone would do me a favor and stop the senseless bickering before I have to bother closing this thread. If you have nothing nice or constructive to say, just back out of here.If you wish to keep adding to an argument that's really just going to run in circles, then just step back, remember this is just a pointless messageboard and do something else. It's gotten far too negative and that's exactly why these threads have been frowned upon in the past. It's one thing to post a disagreement, it's another to take this as far as it has gone.

And no, I don't want any direct quotes of this post or to discuss it any further. Just relax and let this thread be civil like it was in the first place.

Guest Crimson Spider
Man this thread grows quickly.

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]
CS, I don't really understand what aspect of Dan's story is supposed to be incorrect.
I, too, was taught that Henry VIII founded Anglicanism. And the issues which lead various Protestant denominations to leave the Catholic Church must have encompassed much more than an objection to the use of religious icons.
[/quote]

He stated that the other denominations for Christianity had branched off of the Catholic church while the story I heard was that the church itself had split, rather than one forming another.

BTW: Yes, there is a lot more indepth to the story of how Catholic and Protestant split eachother up. Problem is that I can't remember it.
[quote]
Anyway....

I've always been intrigued by the idea of reincarnation. Could somebody list the religions that consider it a possibility? I'd also be interested in learning whether any of them have a positive outlook on reincarnation.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Hinduism and Bhuddism are the two very similar religions that incorperate reincarnation. I believe this is how it goes.

O.K. When you die, your soul is givin a place in society the equivilant of how good you were in your previous life (this is why many are strongly against the murdering of another indevidual). You live your life in that position assigned, whether it be a lower class plebian, a horse, or an upper-classmen, to the best and well-defined way possible. If you did good, you will reach another point even higher.

The constant cycle of death and rebirth ends when you achieve a point where your soul is released from the circle from being good and having understanding of the world around you. The 4 truths and the Rights are the definition of what is needed to Achieve release from death and rebirth, because it was Bhudda who had written them when he achieved Nirvana, which is what this paragraph has been talking about.

After that... I'm sketchy about the details. I think you live up with the gods after you achieve Nirvana.

Any Hindus or Bhuddists feel free to add your comments.

Sure thing, Crim. :D

As for reincarnation, I would like to think that, if you were a good person, you would get a conscious choice as to whether or not you would like to rejoin the world, or remain in heaven/Nirvana, whatever you would like to call it.

(Oh, just to clarify: It's a common misconception that reincarnation means that you'll be reborn as an animal. This is believed to be a rare thing, happening only to very bad people [in the case of... insects and the like]. I'd like to think that, in addition to the aforementioned choice, we'd get to choose what we would be reincarnated as. At least, as far as being human, a bear, etc. If we could choose what happened to us in life, we'd all be millionaires.)

I really hope this thread doesn't get closed. I've been hoping for a mature religious discussion thread for quite some time. :rolleyes:

[COLOR=DarkRed]thats very interesting, but can I ask how you believe it works after a person has made their "choice"? because I have always believed that the person is reincarnated imediatly after someone is born. so then each birth is a rebirth . . . or something to that extent. also, I always kind of thought that animals are reincarnated as animals, while humans, being at a separate evloutionary stage, are reincarnated as humans.

(I'll try to stop the double posting . . . just sort of forgot when I was posting those times . . . sorry) [/COLOR]

Well Mikkaddo, you've got me somewhat stumped there. I was only speculating in my previous post, so I can't really be sure. Maybe your choice makes you compatible with a newborn version of whatever you may want to become, and you're just 'downloaded' into the being while it's still got room in it for your soul/consciousness. Maybe you've gotta just shove your way in. Or maybe you don't get a choice at all. To quote Lulu from Final Fantasy X: "I can only speculate."

In another, almost completely unrelated question, I'm a bit curious as to a certain religion that's always perplexed me (ie I just don't get it): Satanism. If there are any people who subscribe to it on the boards, I don't mean to offend you, but how can someone worship the being who is constantly described as wanting to take your soul and use it as a scratching post for all eternity? It doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone know about it? Does it even count as a religion by definition?

[COLOR=darkred]well, concerning the reincarnation, consider conception. it is my belief that with the reincarnation, conception is when you take on the new body. sort of like you . . . and this sounds a tad gross, but. its sort of like your soul attaches itself to the sperm that enters the egg, and is born again.

concerning Satanism . . . its really all in perspective. I think they way a satanist views it is this. Satan was Gods most precious angel, but he made a mistake, and was forever forsaken. so they follow him because they believe that what he wants is not to use their soul for the amusement of torture, but as a tool to get himself back to his rightful place. but as you said to qoute Lulu from FFX "I can only speculate" [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=sailor firestar][QUOTE=amibasuki][font=Arial][size=3]. People under 18 aren't supposed to know about it though b/c they haven't been. My mom was never very good at keeping secrets.

:)[/QUOTE]

ive been going since twelve...what do you mean?? ::confused::

yeah, im like agnostic Latter Day Saint...

but i think i need to do a lot more repenting till i can go back...

[size=2][color=sienna]As far as I know, early Christians believed that everyone could be ressurected from the flesh. They made a small hole in a person's tomb, and poured honey and water into it for the dead. It's reletively similar to the Egyptians, which raises a few questions. The Christian/Ressurection thing didn't last very long anyway, though, so that's kinda irrelevant.[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=sienna]And for the Satanist, thing, this is what I know. Satan was once and/or is still called Lucifer, which literally means 'bringer of light'. I'm pretty sure that Lucifer was a Seraph, or somewhere higher up in the angel heirarchy. I'm not quite sure what mistake Lucifer made though. I think it was some kind of betrayal, or Lucifer believed that he was as powerful as God. I'm not very knowledgable in that department though. ^^[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#a0522d]I'm pretty sure that Hindus believe that when someone dies, they reincarnate as a different life form, depending on how much good and bad karma they had. I recall something about a Wheel of Karma, but I'm not sure.[/color][/size]

I'm not sure about Hinduism either, but I do know that Buddhism borrowed a lot from Hinduism, seeing as how Siddartha Gautama (aka the Buddha) was raised in a Hindu family, in a Hindu country. That is, until he reached Enlightenment. ^^

It's amazing how many religions pop out of other beliefs... And yet we fight wars against those with similar (and sometimes the same) beliefs. It's a sad thing.

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]First, Mikkado, you've double posted a few times in this thread. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Second, I'd appreciate it if everyone would do me a favor and stop the senseless bickering before I have to bother closing this thread. If you have nothing nice or constructive to say, just back out of here.If you wish to keep adding to an argument that's really just going to run in circles, then just step back, remember this is just a pointless messageboard and do something else. It's gotten far too negative and that's exactly why these threads have been frowned upon in the past. It's one thing to post a disagreement, it's another to take this as far as it has gone.

And no, I don't want any direct quotes of this post or to discuss it any further. Just relax and let this thread be civil like it was in the first place.[/QUOTE]
[size=1]Semjaza, if this thread is beginning to cause a problem please close it, I do not want any discrimination on the boards about religion because of this thread.

But to stay on topic, Bio is right on the Satan thing. Lucifer was once a high angel and was once of the most trusted of the angels. But as he was so greedy and thirsty for power, he tried to overtake God and was terribly unsuccesful. God then banished him to Hell and now he is the ruler of the underworld. Now dont take my word on that, but thats what I have heard from my religion teacher so Im pretty sure that it is almost accurate.

On the resurrection thing I really dont know though. I dont think that they believe that all the bodies resurrected because of the fact that Jesus only did it because he was the Son of God and resurrected to be at the right hand of the Father. But I cant really say for sure, so Bio could possibly be right.[/size]

[color=gray][QUOTE]I'm pretty sure that Hindus believe that when someone dies, they reincarnate as a different life form, depending on how much good and bad karma they had. I recall something about a Wheel of Karma, but I'm not sure[/QUOTE]

Hindus believe you reincarnate as an other person, not an other life form. Thats the Buddhisme. The hindus think that if you were rich and everything in your current life and you were evil at the same time, your karma will be bad and you shall reincarnate as a poor lamer lol.
So its just how nice you are in your last life what determines your wealthiness in your next life.
(I love religion lessons lol)

As for the Devil thing... Thats what the bible says, so not only your Religions Teacher ^_~
I wonder who said he was called lucifer.
the Dutch for match (burning stickish thing lol) is lucifer aswell... I dont know when that name popped up.
[/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed]from what I remember Lucifer was an Arch Angel, a leader of the armies if I'm not mistaken (which I might be) anyway, from what I heard, he started to believe himself as powerful as god, if not more so, and tried to take complete control over heaven, and was therefore banished from heaven for ever, god threw him into Hell and Lucifer began to raise his army from the few angels that stayed loyal to him no matter what had happened, then the battles ensued and it got to where it is now, but please, don't take my word directly, I can be very mistaken in this, as there are so many different stories about how it happened[/COLOR]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrchid]My idea on reincarnation:

First off, I don't believe you have the choice of what you come back as. You have made the choice in your' previous life. Thinking of karma being the action and reaction already stated here. You steal in your' previous life, your' new life will be poor. You used to lie, now you will be lied to. The lowest thing you can go to is an animal. Being an animal may be a sort of equivelant to hell, yourself being a creature that cannot advance its spirituality and therefore improving its karma.

Reincarnation doesn't have to be the whole 'soul attaches to the sperm which fertilizes the egg,' which is a very good theory (in fact, a great one with a lot of logic). It could also be that you are taking control and therefore making the body you inhabit yours just as it is being delivered. Though this brings up the questoin: Does a baby have any thought or emotion while in the womb?

About the Hindu reincarnation. Don't they have the caste system? If so, hell could be interprited as being an untouchable and then moving up the caste, highest I believe is being a religous leader. So it isin't a wealth thing. You could be a homeless person and still have better karma than a high-ranking member of society (money-wise high ranking).

Also, Shinken: three posts back you said someting about the choice to go back to the world or remain in Nirvana. On the first page of the thread, you said Nirvana was a state of mind, not a place. So, I guess you could say that one who achieves Nirvana, who then becomes a buddha, can choose to stop going on with the cycle of reincarnation and remain in a place such as heaven. So, being a good person would let you become a human able to continue their spiritual path towards buddhahood.

Oh, and by the way, I am the 50/50 Buddhist/Christian that Shinken is.
(I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if I said someting that was already covered.)[/font][/size][/color]