OtakuBoards

Driving Lessons!!!

Pagan

How was it when you first started driving? Who taught you how to drive and did they ever yell at you? Have you ever killed a animal or caused damage to a car
(You don't have to answer these questions if you don't want to, these are just to stop spam)

I've had enough of my little sister's driving. I'm suppose to be teaching her to drive, because my parents are to busy to. She is by far the worst driver in America. Her first time out she hit three garbage cans and ran over a pigeon. She has completely wrecked my first car, caused 1,300 dollars in damages on my Jeep, and now she is getting started on my new Audi. She has even blown out my freakin speakers and messed up my 5,000 dollar paint job.

She is so distracted when driving constantly looking in the rear view mirror to check her hair and fix her lip gloss. Then she turns the music up so loud that I can't instruct her; I mean I do love Britney Spear's Toxic but when driving the many noises can confuse you. Even worse she is always trying to race and flirts with boys in my car. She never listens to my instructions and always complains about MY car's smell. Heck she asked me to borrow it one night and of course I said no, but she took it anyways and got three tickets in one night. I just don't know what to do with her. My parents said that if I don't teach her then I will have to pay the money for her driving school.

I mean I pratically taught myself how to drive from the video games. I remember I used to play Test Drive 5 and Twisted Metal and learned what not to do. Then I played Gran Trismo(spelled that wrong right?) to learn what I should do when driving. My sister hates video games though so I can't try that.

HELP ME OTAKU BEFORE MY SISTER WRECKS MY AUDI!!!!!!

Video Games might help- it's really more of an overall hand-eye cordination...

as for your sister- just put into effect the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" system. Scratch the paint, Scratch her face. Bust a speaker, busted nose. Its easy- or you could do it with money...

She stole your car? This is when you keep your car keys attached to your hip at all times.

Take her driving. You drive, you tell her what you're doing, and she pays attention. Quiz her, too. Say something, and immeditately ask her what you just said. Turn the radio off, too. If she turns it on while you're driving, turn it off. If she doesn't pay attention to you, threaten to stop teaching her. Do this for a couple of days, then let her take the wheel again.

Otherwise, you're better off paying for driving school. Hopefully, a professional might be able to get through to her. Heck, the price of driving school is nothing compared to the collateral damage. If she fails driving school, don't pay to send her back. Buy her a bus pass and wish her good luck, because she obviously isn't meant to drive.

And with that said... how many cars do you have?

[size=1]Heh. I just got my learners, and trust me, computer games do not help. Especially Need For Speed Underground.

x.x;

While holding the trigger all the way in the NFSU gives you a perfect gradual acceleration, putting your foot flat to the floor in real life doesn't. Mmm...rubber tyres on wet grass.

I myself want to get a manual licence, but I can't with our car, seeing as it's an automatic. Meaning I'm going to have to go for lessons, which isn't cool, seeing as it costs about $35 an hour. Ah well. Another six months and I can go for my P's.

If it means I'll have to make my parents fork out the dosh for lessons, then I'll have to make them fork out the dosh..

What about your friends? If you have one that lives close by, you can always leave your car there, claiming to your sister that it's in the shop or something. Or, you could just hide the keys.

Hmm..$1300...if she keeps this up, it [i]will[/i] be cheaper to pay for her to have proper lessons...[/size]

[size=1][color=slategray]I can't see how you parents can force you to pay for lessons anyhow, since they, being parents, should be responsible for that.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#708090][i]it is they [/i]who should get out there and teach her, and they'd have better luck, being the parents, (if not, then I'm a barrel of monkeys) Have you tried bringin up the damages? Because they should pay for them.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#708090]That's how it works over here, small claims court and all...[/color][/size]

Sorry to say, but your sister sounds like she's too absorbed with herself to take notice of anything else around her. The last thing you need is her running over a pedestrian or hitting another car. Tell her you'll teach her how to drive when she pays you for the damages to your car. When that happens she can then pay a professional for her driving lessons. I don't think you should be responsible for her irresponsibility...(if that makes sense). Your parents should be. Try being more tough on her...er...and hide your keys.

I have my temps now too, although I should have my lisense. I'm a pretty good driver. I listen to my parents and pay attention to the road. Yesterday I almost went into ditch though because I was looking at my old house. That was stupid. Luckily I turned the wheel quick enough to avoid it. -_-;

It works diffrently where I live. Once you turn 15 1/2 you can get your temps(temporary license). You have to have this for 6 months and in that time you have to aquire 50 hours of day driving and a certain amount of night driving. Of course nobody does this because the instructor never checks. Then, once the 6 months are up you have to take driving classes, there are 6 classes and each are 4 hours long(about $300 in total). After that then you schedule you're in-cars, meaning you drive with an instructor for about 2 hours. You need to do this for 4 days. Once thats all said and done you take the test and be on your way.

As for your situation..she needs to learn to focus, and respect other peoples property. o_o I don't understand why the parents don't teach her if she does such things to your car. It aggravates me when these things happen. You need to explain to her the rules and such, make her listen somehow. She has to be at least 15, she should be mature enough to listen and understand.

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']I don't know how bad I can feel for someone who had owned that many cars by your age.[/quote]

I really have to agree...

In anycase, I can't drive, but my dad tried to teach me. I had a hard time keeping the stearing wheel straight, and I forgot to take it out of reverse twice and when he yelled at me I cried. ::shrugs:: I don't mind walking, it's healthy. I like bikes too ^_^

Heh, I just went to driving school to learn how to drive. I still don't have a license, but that's only because I haven't driven the full number of hours required to apply for a license (I still need something like 15 hours o_o).

Outside of driving school, my dad helped me with my driving but he's not really a very good teacher lol. He gets really nervous and that kinda made me nervous while driving...luckily, I never made any big mistakes, heh. The teacher at the driving school was a far better teacher, since he was able to keep his cool at all times.

And I don't really see the need to have as many cars as you seem to have o_O

[size=1]I never had any burning desire to learn to drive. That being said, my parents made me take the course the summer before my junior year of high school. The classroom part wasn't bad, really. I do pretty well with rote memorization and spent the two hours a day drawing or writing.

However, we were also required to have x number of two hour ("behind the wheel") driving lessons. The amount of verbal abuse I recieved from my instructor was painful. I eventually broke down and told my mom, who immediately called to have my instructor changed. ...I love my mother. [/size]

[quote name='Manic']And with that said... how many cars do you have?[/quote]

I have been through 7 cars in my life span. Most of them have had short lives because of negligence on my behalf. Right now I only have 3 cars and motorcycle that I can't drive. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara(In the shop), a 1998 Nissan Infiniti(Wrecked), and a 2002 Audi S4(In danger). My dad is constantly getting new cars because he feels that he needs the most modern and best car out there, so he passes his old cars down to me. It is a major waste of money, but I'm not going to complain. I've become a car freak myself and right now I'm saving up for a 2004 Volvo C70 Convertible.

And to everyone who has posted, I offer my gratitude. Today's driving lesson was still hell, but it did somewhat improve thanks to your helpful hints.

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']I don't know how bad I can feel for someone who had owned that many cars by your age.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Indeed, that was my initial sentiment. Sorry Hells fire, I mean no offense and in all reality I'm probably just a bitter person, but if you've been able to own all those cars and they've all been newer models, I give you little sympathy.

I guess it's just because when I was 16 I had to buy my first (and as of today only car) and I'm older than you by over half a year. It's a beat up old Pontiac Grand Am from 1991 and it's all I could afford off my minimum wage job since my parents didn't (and still don't) have the financial resources to help me out.

When you only have one car (with only liability insurance to boot), you learn to be quite the careful driver. I've only had one skirmish with the law which is pretty good for my demographic and all it amounted to was a small speeding fine. I've never been in an accident and I hope that it will be a long time till I do. I can't afford to wreck my car; I can't afford a new car because I have to pay for college and my liability insurance won't buy me a new car, it just covers injury.

Perhaps that's what you need to do to become a more responsible driver (and this would go for your sister too.) Just own one car (preferably one you bought with your own hard earned money for the sake of pride and care for your car) and pay for all the amenities of said car. I am almost sure that if you do this you'll be a much more wary driver and you'll be reluctant to drive recklessly like many teenagers do. And also, have it where when the car may get damaged that you have to front the cash to pay for it sans parent's assistance. Once again, reducing recklessness.

I guess, just lay the law down to your student and make them listen and learn from you. If they don't, then let them take care of it themselves; no use in trying if they're letting your words go in one ear and out the other.

And be thankful that you have all those cars and have all the priveledges and opportunites in front of you. There are others who can barely afford one car (like myself) and others even who have never get to own 1 car (let alone 7 by age 18) and have to rely on public transportation all their lives.

You have it very good.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Hells Fire']I have been through 7 cars in my life span. Most of them have had short lives because of negligence on my behalf. Right now I only have 3 cars and motorcycle that I can't drive. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara(In the shop), a 1998 Nissan Infiniti(Wrecked), and a 2002 Audi S4(In danger).[/quote]
*immediately spits out his soda*
7 cars?! You're only 18! That's a car for every year of your life since the age of 11. At this point, I honestly don't think you need to worry about your sister ruining your Audi. Your Jeep will come out of the shop soon, and $5 says you'll be given another new car by 2005. I mean, honestly. My mom hasn't owned 5 cars in her entire lifetime. (Pinto... Camaro... Probe... Mustang...) She's only on her 4th car. Heck, I'm planning on keeping my '89 Honda Accord for as long as it'll run.

However, at your sister's current rate of destruction, your family won't have any vehicles left. So for the time being, keep trying to make your sister a safe driver.

And keep an extra $30 around for a bus-pass. Just in case. ;)

[quote name='Hells Fire']I have been through 7 cars in my life span. Most of them have had short lives because of negligence on my behalf. Right now I only have 3 cars and motorcycle that I can't drive. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara(In the shop), a 1998 Nissan Infiniti(Wrecked), and a 2002 Audi S4(In danger)[/quote]

gee...you "only have 3 cars and a motorcycle"...not a lot to boast about is it? Nor are the 7 cars you've had in total.

I suppose your sister has never considered what it's like for pedestrians with drivers like her...normally I hate crossing roads without using a crossing but people like her are going to make me fear even going 'near' the road.

[size=1][color=darkred]I can't find myself sorry for you, really. Why worry? I mean, you're obviously [i]rolling[/i] in money. Why should I pity you, for something that is mere money? If you were poorer, I could see why you're griping about it so bad, but as of now...I couldn't care. If you haven't the sense to spend $1000 on an old bomb [she is only a learner for God's sake] for her to drive...why should I care?

Fancy letting a learner, and one as inept as your sister, drive an Audi.

I think all the money has gone to your head and pushed your brains aside.

Sorry =\.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Hells Fire]I have been through 7 cars in my life span. Most of them have had short lives because of negligence on my behalf. Right now I only have 3 cars and motorcycle that I can't drive. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara(In the shop), a 1998 Nissan Infiniti(Wrecked), and a 2002 Audi S4(In danger). My dad is constantly getting new cars because he feels that he needs the most modern and best car out there, so he passes his old cars down to me. It is a major waste of money, but I'm not going to complain. I've become a car freak myself and right now I'm saving up for a 2004 Volvo C70 Convertible.

And to everyone who has posted, I offer my gratitude. Today's driving lesson was still hell, but it did somewhat improve thanks to your helpful hints.[/QUOTE]
Luckily for you, I have experience in this field. I didn't have 7 cars laying around so I was a bit more careful when I taught my sister and brother. . Make things clear to them what to do. Don't say "just drive somewhere," say "Take a left here. Make sure to put on your blinker" and so forth.Don't let her listen to any music. Begginning drivers shouldn't EVER listen to music.

Biggest thing to remember: SHE'S YOUR LITTLE SISTER. You are the older one (17 according to profile) and she is the younger one (15?). You are the boss. Seriously don't be afraid to smack her if she does anything stupid (not in the car of course). From your description she believes she is the one in charge and you have to make it clear to her that she is completely wrong. Until you get that through her head, the "lessons" (which sounds like you just being in the same car as her) will be useless.

But the biggest question of all is, why don't you just sell of one of your spare cars and pay for her driving lessons at a professional place.

I went to driving school last summer and I can't tell you how much I was glad it was over. The classroom teaching was really boring and we watched a bunch of videos that were so cheesy, plus it was early in the morning so i was about ready to fall asleep in those classes. But then came the "behind the wheel" part. Man it was horrible! I really did find myself to be a bad driver, but the instructor didn't really help much. So many times I wanted to smack that guy in the face. One day I was actually doing pretty good and I almost got into a wreck while turning. The problem was, I didn't really slow down much before making the turn.

It got worse because I failed the driving test. I was so ticked off but I got another chance. After some practice I passed the test easily.

I have yet to get my license, even though I should've gotten in January. I'm just too lazy to get it. Not like anything will change much if I do get it. We have three cars, but one of them uses the stick shift and I don't know how to work that. My brother has his car and either he uses it or someone he knows is using it, so it's rarely in the garage. My mom uses the other car and she works from 11 AM to 8 PM. And my dad drives the car with stick shift and I never know his work schedule. So basically, even if I have my license, there would rarely be a car to drive. Not to mention I have no money to buy a car.

Let's see, $6,300 in damage. I can assure you that no driving school costs that much. You aren’t strapped for cash, what's the big deal? If you can afford to repair 2 vehicles, and can still sleep at night, then what difference is the $500 or so for school? That's like pocket-change to you. Suck it up.

As for you teaching her, don't let her use the radio. This is basic common sense; if she fights you over this, then just take the radio out. Don't most car radios have a faceplate that just snaps out? If she obsesses about her looks and refers to the rearview mirror at constant intervals, make her wear a hat. This will prevent her from fussing with her hair.

Getting back to the number of cars you own(ed), lucky. Just don't meet me on the road. My El Commeino (sp) may be over 23 years old, but the body is made of steel. I can guaranty that it can total your plastic framed cars in less time then it took to type this post. Heh, destruction of expensive cars just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.