OtakuBoards

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

James P. Galvatron

It has been announced that this is the newest game from Rockstar Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas it will be released in the U.S. October 19, 2004 and in Europe October 22 Exclusively for PS2 meaning it won't come to PC until about 2 or 3 years after its released and to Xbox 3 to 4 after its release. Many rumours have been going around about the origin and the plot or storyline of this new game. Some say you play as the unknown thug from Grand Theft 3 in the future and Tommy Vercetti is a crime boss in Liberty and Mitch Baker and his gang came to Liberty to be his allies and that you do missions for the old Mafia people and have to kill a power mad Vercetti. Some people say and I think this rumor may be right in some ways that it takes place in the 70s and that you play as a younger Tommy and see what he did to get himself put in Jail because in Vice City Tommy just got out of a long stretch inside Jail for 12 years or more I think said by Mitch Baker when doing the mission Sticking it to the Man. They say you play as him in the 70s doing the crimes and working for the people he did to get himself locked up in the first place it this is true you most likely would be working for the Mafia who sent Tommy to Vice City in the first place.

Anyone that knows of any rumors post here and tell us your thoughts and if you know any facts they would be loved to be known also.

Are you sure that isn't October 19th, [b]2004[/b]? The game kind of would've been out for a long while now if it had been released this past October lol.

Anyway, I've never really been interested in the GTA series. I played Grand Theft Auto III and, honestly, I was bored beyond belief. I might give this one a try if one of my friends get it (which they most assuredly will) but I doubt I'd be buying a PS2 for this game.

If This game is like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City then I will definetly be getting it. Vice city was really the first grand theft auto game i have ever played. It would be a good idea to use a diffrent new charecter, but also it would make it a lot better if they made it so that you can use more than one charecter.

They should also make it that instead of only just being able to buy property you should also be able to sell it as well. Personly it should be a fairly good game (for people who like these sort of games). a\Any way thats all from me l8rz.

All I know about this game is that Dave Chapelle and 50 Cent were supposedly doing voice acting for the game. It was in EGM a couple months ago in the rumor section, so it's not 100% reliable.

Anyways, I would kind of like to play as Vercetti again, except this time with an affro, and a roller disco club. However, Rockstar recently not only copyrighted GTA: San Andreas, but GTA 5 and 6 as well, which makes me think that this will be another side story, starring Vercetti once again. I'll probably buy this game anyways (along with millions of others), so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Sounds pretty good, although I kinda doubt the 3-4 year wait for XBox (no offence intended [I]Inuyasha7271[/I]). By that time, the new generation of consoles will be out, so I don't think they would bother with the XBox at that time. Also, with Rockstar seeing how well the GTA Double Pack sold on XBox, I doubt that it will take this long to be released on the Box. Granted, PS2 will get it first, but I predict probably a wait of 1 to 1.5 years for the XBox version (probably the same for the PC version). Although this is just speculation, don't take this as fact. :D

Sniglefager you mean there will be a 5 and 6 considering the fact that won't actually be called that they say that sooner or later they are making a Grand Theft Auto: Sin City I do believe that the Grand Theft Auto Saga will revolve around Tommy Vercetti his life story is pretty good I do believe that in some way that mysterious thug in Grand Theft Auto 3 is related to Tommy Vercetti. The new one I hope talks about Tommy's past in the 70s about how he got in jail for about 12 years to come out in Vice City which takes place right after his release when the Mafia sends him there to get them out of there hair. Ashura do not expect a Xbox release in 1.5 years even though Rockstar released GTA:Vice City just remember it was at least 2 years after it was on PS2 they may wait longer they want people on PS2 to have it so people will buy PS2's to get the game and other games they will make exclusively for it then the people who don't buy it they will release it on Xbox like 2 or 3 years later for them to make people will the Gamecube want a PS2 or Xbox its all about the marketing they want people on Xbox to wait for it and hope that they can't and just buy a PS2 to get San Andreas.

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I haven't heard much about Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but I'll definitely be doing some research on it tonight.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Tommy was in jail for [b]15[/b] years, as said in the Official Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Strategy Guide.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]About the mystery thug in Grand Theft Auto III, I believe that he is either Tommy Vercetti in the 90's or that he is related to Tommy Vercetti.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]If the game is about Tommy's life in the 70's, or even if it isn't, I'll still be checking it out. Grand Theft Auto is my favorite game of all time. If it is about his life in the 70's, it will probably be very good.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]If I find anything else out, I'll be sure to post it.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#707875]I've read about this newly announced game and at the moment, I'm not too sure what to think.

They say that the new title will be substantially different from GTAIII and VC, in the sense that it will be more of a "new" game (where VC was sort of like an expansion on GTAIII -- albeit a great one).

In regard to the overall series, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan. GTA2 was a blast though and I played the original a few times. Mostly, the overhead format annoyed me, because when I sped up I felt like I didn't know where I was going. I've never liked overhead driving games for this reason.

GTAIII/VC were great games. Although, I found myself often having more fun just mucking around, rather than doing missions. Many of the missions really bored me...so much of it was just kind of clumsy. There didn't seem to be a lot of fine-tuning. You had this gorgeous macro environment full of stuff to do, but the basics (character control, aiming, interaction) were a bit shoddy. Thankfully, the vehicle physics were pretty thorough.

So I'm really a fence sitter I guess. I own both GTAIII and VC and I enjoy 'em both. I think they're pretty significant achievements in video games. But at the same time, they lack the polish of various other titles out there.

If anything, I hope that this new game has a more compelling story and more fine-tuned details. If these areas can be improved, I think I'll be quite satisfied.[/color]

[quote=James][color=#707875]In regard to the overall series, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan. GTA2 was a blast though and I played the original a few times. Mostly, the overhead format annoyed me, because when I sped up I felt like I didn't know where I was going. I've never liked overhead driving games for this reason.[/color]
[/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=slategray]I liked GTA 2 for the most part because of the power tripping you had with it, you had gang respect meters and all you had to do to earn respect was kill their rivals. simple and very easy to manipulate for your own ends.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#708090]I've enjoyed bot GTA 3 and VC immensly since their release, I still play them and am still really into them, and I cannot wait until San Andreas gets in, October 2004 is a [i]long[/i] time to wait, even longer than my Gold Coast trip, it should be well worth it though, witht the exception being 50 Cent, ugh, the Game needs [b]Scribe[/b], now that is what[b] I[/b] call rap ;)[/color][/size][/font]

Guest Metangelo
Yea I love the GtA series and ill totally get this game
I suspected that it would be called San Andreas becuase look at the first (The very first) Gta game there are three cities you visit in the game! You first go to Liberty City. Then afetr you complete all the missions you go to Vice City....then the city after that one is...well.......San Andreas :eek: ......no surprise for me... :D

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=slategray]Though, there was always the off-chance Rockstar would have seen this as too predictable, and thrown us off completely with a new location, if the GTA: Tokyo rumor had been true, it would have been very interesting indeed.[/color][/size][/font]

I hope that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas isn't a direct prequel. I would much rather see the introduction of new characters and fresh plots. A new narrative direction would only be beneficial to the series as opposed to rethreading on an already established character's backstory--at least in the long run. This series doesn't need to rely on its main character's marketability to sell copies regardless because the name alone will move them off shelves.

With the advent of this genre, and a sea of Grand Theft Auto clones, I think it'll be interesting to see what adjustments Rockstar North makes to keep the series from stagnating. Although the Grand Theft Auto series still has a mastery over the style it first introduced (in comparison to admirable, albeit flawed attempts to replicate or trump it), some major renovations will be needed gameplay-wise. Because, quite frankly, the high fun factor is what's going to keep people coming back at this point. Shock-value just isn't going to cut it anymore. Especially with games like Manhunt floating around that push the envelope as far as it's going to go.

So, I reserved my copy last week when I picked up Twin Snakes. We'll see what happens. Personally, I would like to see a stronger physics engine and an expansion of depth in regards to the property system. From a character standpoint, I?d love to play as a dirty cop in the seventies who eventually gets thrown off the force. With 50 Cent and possibly Eminem contributing towards the musical facet of the game, I doubt it's going to be set in the past, however.

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']Some people say and I think this rumor may be right in some ways that it takes place in the 70s and that you play as a younger Tommy and see what he did to get himself put in Jail because in Vice City. Tommy just got out of a long stretch inside Jail for 12 years or more I think said by Mitch Baker when doing the mission Sticking it to the Man. They say you play as him in the 70s doing the crimes and working for the people he did to get himself locked up in the first place it this is true you most likely would be working for the Mafia who sent Tommy to Vice City in the first place.[/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=1]Well straight away I can tell you that you won't be playing as a Tommy Vercetti for the simple reason that he committed his 11 murders (for which he got 15 years) in Harwood, Portland in Liberty City. This is how he earned the nickname, [b]The Harwood Butcher[/b], it's explained just before you beat the game on the last two missions so it's doubtful that you'll be playing as Mister Vercetti.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][font=Arial][color=#483d8b][quote name='DDG']About the mystery thug in Grand Theft Auto III, I believe that he is either Tommy Vercetti in the 90's or that he is related to Tommy Vercetti.[/quote][/color][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=black]This I doubt too because of what is said when playing GTA III. Joey Leone tells Tony Ciprany that the main character is not Italian thus ruling out Tommy himself, that and the whole fact that he'd be in his 50s when GTA III is set. As for the prospect that he's some relation of Tommy Vercetti it's possible but I doubt it because I believe that Tommy Vercetti was only created when GTA VC was being made and thus not linked to the other game.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]--------------[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]Personally I am looking forward to this title since I've played almost every GTA game and enjoyed them thoroughly. I thought that GTA: VC was a massive step up in terms of sheer playablity to GTA: III which I often found awkward and almost unplayable in certain parts. The fact that it will be based in San Andreas seems to indicate that we won't be seeing any characters from the pervious games but that is not necessarily a bad thing (If I never see Ken Rosenberg again I'll be a happy man).[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]I found the mechanics of the game to be well done, although some of the manual aiming could be a chore at times but as this didn't happen often it was acceptable. As for the graphics I would have preferred a bit more polish and shine but they were still quite respectable over-all.[/size][/font]

[quote name='James][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#707875]If anything, I hope that this new game has a more compelling story and more fine-tuned details. If these areas can be improved, I think I'll be quite satisfied.[/color][/size'][/font][/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=1]James, if that happens we'll ALL be satified...[/size][/font]

[quote name='Shinji][font=Verdana][size=1][color=slategray]Though, there was always the off-chance Rockstar would have seen this as too predictable, and thrown us off completely with a new location, if the GTA: Tokyo rumor had been true, it would have been very interesting indeed.[/color][/size'][/font][/quote]

GTA Tokyo was confirmed (in a different form), but its not what you think. It is just GTA3, but released for a Japanese market, as they missed out on GTA3 when it was first released. It is still called GTA3; some stupid journalist read into it too deeply and heard what he wanted to (AKA selective hearing). Although, an actual GTA: Tokyo would be very interesting... :)