OtakuBoards

Kill Bill 2

Vegitto4

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']You know, you have an extremely abrasive personality.[/quote]
Only to the overly sensitive.

[QUOTE][b]Kill Bill was certainly "deliberate crappiness" because it emulated crappy movies.[/b] Whether that's beautiful in your eyes or not is not the issue, nor do I give a damn. [b]Oh, and don't bring The Matrix into this, because I can go on for weeks tearing the film to pieces.[/b] Refusing to see the beauty in The Matrix is like refusing to see the beauty in a walrus carcass rotting on the beach. But that's something for another thread.[/QUOTE]
1) "Because it emulated crappy movies"? Sciros, go and actually [i]watch[/i] those crappy movies Kill Bill was paying homage to. To say that Kill Bill is crap because it merely is a throwback to a cheesy genre of cinema [i]is[/i] ignorant. And arrogant, too.

2) "On for weeks"? Go ahead. Start a thread. There's no-one stopping you. I invite you to make a thread about The Matrix and tear the Trilogy up. You say you can obliterate the films with your criticism? Put your money where your mouth is and prove it. Otherwise, shut your mouth and know your role.

By the way, check your post.

[QUOTE][b]Sciros[/b]:
I didn't like the first film. Say what you will about the deliberate crappiness of it, I didn't appreciate it. I liked Uma Thurman in it, but I hated everyone else so far. And I can't stand irrelevant scenes, and Vol. 1 was full of them. So I'm not looking forward to Vol. 2, although I guess I have to see it just because everyone else will. [b]Same as with the Matrix films[/b]. Let's hope for some cohesiveness in the second half I guess.[/QUOTE]
You mentioned The Matrix way before I did.

[quote][b]Not appreciating a filmmaker's purpose is not "being ignorant."[/b] I don't appreciate [b]Gibson's purpose in making The Passion[/b]. Does that make me ignorant? No. It's just a matter of taste as far as what one thinks a filmmaker should bring to the screen.[/QUOTE]
1) No, that [i]is[/i] being ignorant. Sciros, you post here and just rant and flame Kill Bill without regard to [i]anything[/i]. You demonstrate no understanding of what the film is about, you demonstrate no desire to learn more about it. You are content with sitting there and just blindly insulting what Tarantino has created. Now, I could be wrong here, and I'm sure you'll say I am...but all that is pretty damn ignorant if you ask me.

2) I hardly think The Passion is a suitable comparison here. The Passion is more or less a horror film with no real underlying messages of peace, love, forgiveness, etc. Christ's sermons and such are given to us in flashbacks, and the gore is unrelenting. Whatever Gibson had tried to accomplish (I suppose, showing the pains of Christ? Showing what he went through so we could have salvation?), is hidden and very much blanketed by the horror, as it were.

Summed up, The Passion was not a total package. This is the opposite of Kill Bill, which is an entire movie, understanding that the plot was meant to be paper-thin.

Sciros, remove thineself from thineself and take a whiff of reality. It'll do you good. Until you're ready to do that, like I've said earlier, shut your mouth and know your role.

Reply if you want, but you're not worth anyone's time in your current state.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Midnight Rush
[QUOTE=Shiguru]Kill Bill may be Tarentino's worst film in terms of dialouge and character depth (Pulp Fiction and Resivoir Dogs dominated those.) but it made up for it in awesome visuals and roll on the floor laughter.

It was like a bad 70's kung fu movie all over again. From the blood packs to the constant screaming to the idiotic plot. I loved it.

But DAMN YOU PEOPLE! It was supposed to be released in February. But they put it on the same weekend as The Punisher... Bad move, Very Bad Move.[/QUOTE]

Having the Punisher on the same day opening as KILL BILL:V2 is a bad move. Kill Bill:v2 will dominate the box office this weekend. And to quote Tarantino himself:

What do you need to know about a character in a revenge movie, okay, come on? Its a ******* revenge movie! It doesn't need character development!

Tarantino films kick *** period. Kill Bill's dialogue wasn't quite up to par with Pulp Fiction, but it was damn good and bloody funny.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]I was reading an interview with Michael Madsen (Mr Orange in Resivior Dogs) and he mentions the fact that he is going to do the Vega Brothers. For those who dont know Vincent Vega was John Travolta's character in Pulp fiction and Mr. Orange of Resivior Dogs is the brother of Vincent. Tarentino has kind of been kicking around the idea of making the movie for years but just hasnt come up with a solid idea, Madsen says he recently got a call and Tarentino has an idea for the film so there finally going to do it. Im guessing it's going to be a prequel [spoiler] because as we all know Mr. Orange and Vincent both get shot full of holes [/spoiler] but with Tarentino you never know. Tarentino's next film is a movie with Robert Rodrigez (El Mariache trilogy, Spy Kids, From Dusk Til Dawn) they will both direct segments of the film much like they did with Four Rooms. After that he is going to do a World War II film which is rumored to star Adam Sandler so I wouldnt expect to see Vega brothers for atleast 4 - 6 years.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='Petey'] "On for weeks"? Go ahead. Start a thread. There's no-one stopping you. I invite you to make a thread about The Matrix and tear the Trilogy up. You say you can obliterate the films with your criticism? Put your money where your mouth is and prove it. Otherwise, shut your mouth and know your role.[/quote]

Alright, smartass. You got yourself a Matrix thread. Jesus Christ.

[QUOTE]1) No, that [i]is[/i] being ignorant. ... You demonstrate no understanding of what the film is about, you demonstrate no desire to learn more about it.[/QUOTE]

Until you display any sort of understanding whatsoever about anything you talk about, don't start asking the same of me. And what makes you think I "didn't understand" Kill Bill Vol. 1? To say that I don't like the film doesn't mean I didn't understand it.

[QUOTE]Summed up, The Passion was not a total package. This is the opposite of Kill Bill, which is an entire movie, understanding that the plot was meant to be paper-thin.[/QUOTE]

Kill Bill VOLUME ONE is an entire movie? Just shut the hell up.

I'm done with this bullcrap. I'll see you in the Matrix thread.

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']Alright, smartass. You got yourself a Matrix thread. Jesus Christ.[/quote]
You don't need to use that language, and the tone is uncalled for.

[QUOTE]Until you display any sort of understanding whatsoever about anything you talk about, don't start asking the same of me. And what makes you think I "didn't understand" Kill Bill Vol. 1? To say that I don't like the film doesn't mean I didn't understand it.[/QUOTE]
Why do you feel so threatened? Sciros, take a step back here. Who is the member with a greater understanding of cinema? Who is the member here who does not just blatantly bash popular cinema? Who here actually provides support for their interpretation, and doesn't ramble and rant in some incoherent babble?

If you truly understood Tarantino's intent, and were open to what he was doing in Kill Bill Vol. 1, then you would not be so antagonistic to the film. Sciros, because you are content to just tear Kill Bill to shreds, and are totally unwilling to entertain a discussion about it and its purpose in any mature or reasonable manner, [i]proves[/i] you didn't understand what Tarantino was doing. You demonstrate no understanding of the genre itself if "crappiness" is all you can say about it. C'mon, man.

[QUOTE]Kill Bill VOLUME ONE is an entire movie? Just shut the hell up.[/QUOTE]
Do note I said "Kill Bill." I did not specify Volume 1.

[quote]I'm done with this bullcrap. I'll see you in the Matrix thread.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I think you are done. Just step away, man, just step away.

Hell Yeah! Kill Bill was great, its rated 18 here (UK) and because i was 16 i thought i wouldnt stand a chance of going to see it, but my mum, older sis and her bf( both 18) went along so i was able to see it, and i loved it, especially the anime part half way through(erm i think it was half way ish), The Sword fight was great.The blood was over exaggerated but that made it even more enjoyable IMO, All my friends ive spoken to about it didnt seem to like but i dont care it was a fantastic film.

Guest Midnight Rush
I'm a silly Caucasian boy who likes to play with handguns... thats what I'm gonna do about it. Lol anyways, Vol. 2 is out today and I'm going to the 7:20 showing wit my "posse" lol.

Well I just got back from seein' vol.2, and I have to say I liked it better than the first.
This is mostly because of David Carradine's performance as Bill, who has to be one of the best movie villians in recent cinema. He's quite a likeable badass, who's just fun to watch.
The fight scenes in vol. 2, although not as lavish and stylized as the ones in vol.1, were also very enjoyable.
I also loved how the characters were developed thoughout the film, making the film more gripping than its action driven predecesor.

The only gripes I have about the movie is that Bill isn't in it as much as he should be. In the end [spoiler] we hardly get to see any of his skills, making it very anti-climactic showdown.[/spoiler]
Also I was surprised/furious to see that Bill's street fight scene was cut out.
From what I saw of it, from the trailers and internet pics, it looked really cool, so why cut it?
Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for the DVD to see it.

Other than that, Kill Bill vol.2 is one of the best movies I've seen recently. But I still believe Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's best film.

But this is all just my opinion. :D

Guest Naota
Well, I saw Kill Bill Volume 2 twice on opening day, and I loved it. I Just Had a Few gripes.

Like [spoiler]Budd being killed by a snake[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Yuri not being in the movie[/spoiler]. I also was wondering [spoiler]if Elle died from bleeding out of the eye or if she was bitten by the snake[/spoiler].

I found it really funny for some reason when [spoiler]during the credits, they showed all the cast, and everyone had some cool poses. Except for Bill, who is just laying there. Also, when The Bride (aka Beatrix) was walking towards the diner after coming out of the ground, letting clouds of dust fall off of her with each step.[/spoiler]

I have to agree with WW2 on Bill, though. They [spoiler]made that scene WAY too short. But then again, maybe he let her kill him.....[/spoiler]

Anyway, I have a quick question about the Volume 1 soundtrack. What is the name of that song that plays [spoiler]when the bride chops off Sofie's arm and all the people start running[/spoiler]. You know, the one with the chanting?

Edit: I found out that the chapter "Yuki's Revenge" was cut from filming to accommodate a new chapter,[spoiler] "Massacre at Two Pines" that details the attack on The Bride.[/spoiler]

I liked Vol.2, it had more depth than the first movie (by far.). But it's action was kinda lacking. I personally think Tarentino should have shuffled the movie around more or made Budd and Bill cooler in thier fight scences. I won't post a real review as to spoil the movie, but I'd give it a 8/10.

Volume 2 wasn't meant to have any super action. it didn't need it. I thought a sword fight between Bill and The Bride would have been cool;however, not needed. They had that quick skirmish perfectly. [spoiler] after all, pai mei didn't teach Bill the 5 point heart exploding techniqe. but he sure as hell taught beatrix[/spoiler]

I liked them both the same. I found them to be awesome. Will buy both of them,and watch them multiple times.

Now, I can't wait for hero to come out. Quentin Wrote it, but didn't direct it, what a shame.

[QUOTE]Volume 2 wasn't meant to have any super action.[/QUOTE]

Then why was it marketed as a super action movie? I didn't say I didn't like it, but I was just waiting for some action after all these deeper dialouge scenes.. only to be disapointed by what they did throw at us.

Watching the crazy 88 and the Vivica A. Fox duel I had some high hopes for the Bill duel. I liked how it ended, but the duel like you said left much to be desired. I wanted to see some Kwai Chang Kane stuff personally, but that would never happen.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]I just got back from viewing it and I enjoyed it but I enjoyed the first one much more. The fact that [spoiler] the fight scenes were so short disapointed me[/spoiler] but other then that I liked it. By the way Zhang Yimou wrote the film not Quintin Tarention, Quintin Tarentino just brought the movie to america because he enjoyed it, the film is already on DVD my friend John bought a limited edition copy a Otakon for 30 bucks there were only 200 made.

By the way Kill Bill volume 2 is the number one movie in the country it made 25.1 million dollars this weekend, beating the punisher by 10 million. Kill Bill vol. 1's DVD sold 2 million copies the day of release, which is about 40 million dollars([url]http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/18/box.office.ap/[/url]). Boy Tarentino must be rolling around in his money.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Shiguru]Then why was it marketed as a super action movie? I didn't say I didn't like it, but I was just waiting for some action after all these deeper dialouge scenes.. only to be disapointed by what they did throw at us.

Watching the crazy 88 and the Vivica A. Fox duel I had some high hopes for the Bill duel. I liked how it ended, but the duel like you said left much to be desired. I wanted to see some Kwai Chang Kane stuff personally, but that would never happen.[/QUOTE]

Well there were a few action scenes cut out of vol.2, such as the Bride's fight with Yuki, and a flashback scene where the Bride and Bill take on a coulple of guys in a Chinese village.
Like I mentioned before, I was looking foward to seeing Bill fight in that one, but was sadly dissapointed.

So, Iguess vol.2 was supposed to have alot more action than it did, but I guess Tarantino chose to make it more of a dramatic movie and focus more on story development.
Heh, even with the editing, it still became superior to vol.1 :D

We'll just have to wait for the DVD to see the extra action sequences.

[spoiler]I think those of you complaining about the length of the final battle between Beatrix and Bill are misunderstanding a few key points. First and foremost, the encounter was of an entirely different nature than the others. The swordplay, for the most part, was psychological. The rapport of the characters was complicated, fueled by a stilted love, feelings of betrayal, frustration and bitterness. So, just in their wordplay alone, the two were exchanging blows in a sense. The Bride being forced to concede that she didn't believe her new life would have been successful and Bill using their daughter as a playing card are good examples. And, Bill coming to terms with the fact that it wasn't about whether or not Beatrix's newly adopted lifestyle would have been personally self-fulfilling or not considering her nature. His realization that her decision was fueled by something more important, their child, was probably a crushing emotional blow. An obvious fact his own self-centeredness had probably blinded him to.
So, I definitely think the emotional intensity of the situation was terrific. Although foreshadowing made the outcome somewhat predictable, I simply loved the verbal salvo.

All in all, I can understand why Volume 2's action was more subdued. Remember, this is literally a direct extension of Volume 1--they were intended to be one movie until a very late phase in the production process. You know, so that the movie could have more showings and garner more money. With that in mind, I think it would have been a bit overwhelming if the second half of the movie had been as battle-intensive as the first. As it stands now, the film is fairly balanced.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think Volume 2 played a great balancing act with Volume 1. With Volume 1, you've got a ton of action, blood to all extremes, and a fair amount of character developement. With Volume 2, however, you've got loads of backstory, all of which plays an important part in the movie as a whole. You get a glimpse of Bea's training, her interaction with Bill, and exactly how it all went down at a little chapel in El Paso. You also see that Bill wasn't in his right mind when he called in the rest of the Deadly Vipers and regrets what he did to her. He's also a very good dad.[/spoiler]

Okay, time to pick out my favorite moments...

[spoiler]Bill's family! Finding out Buddy was his brother was an odd surprise. It makes you wonder if Bea was going to kill Buddy immediately, or if she was going to pump him for info. Hm. Turns out Bill was raised by his mom and a Latin-American pimp. That's was interesting to find out. Was Bill's mom one of whasisname's girls, or just a friend like Bea said?

B.B. wanting to watch [i]Shogun Assassin[/i] before bed. That is so precious.

I have to admit: I knew The Bride's name toward the beginning on the movie. When Bill was talking to Buddy, he said her name and, as usual, it got bleeped out. However, I used my limited lip-reading ability to see that Bill only said one syllable and moved his lips in a "B" or "P" motion. I just assumed he was calling her "Bea." The short classroom segment when Elle first says her name was a funny touch, by the way.

Am I the only one who laughed when Elle got her other eye ripped out? Come on! The way she was flinging around the trailer... it was funny! Or maybe I'm just twisted...

Bea's introduction to Pai Mei. He was such a jerkoff. She'd only said "Master" and he insulted her Mandarin. But hey, what do you expect from a man who took offense to a monk who didn't notice his greeting?

Why did Buddy tell Bill he sold his Hanzo sword? Did he think someone would've come after him if anyone knew he still had it? God knows Elle stabbed his back like a Brutus with PMS.[/spoiler]

[size=1]*stoically resists urge to read spoilers*

I'm going to see it tomorrow with the same folks I watched Volume I with. I can't decide whether that's a good idea, or not, heh. But, I am really looking forward to it. [/size]

I do not talk about these movies much, but I really enjoyed the first one. I saw Kill Bill 2 with a few people and everyone enjoyed it.

While watching it, part of me kind of wished they kept it as one single film. Afterwards, however, I came to the conclusion that it works just as well as two seperate parts... perhaps even more effective in some instances. The first half was really mindless bloodshed with very little character development, while the second half was almost completely opposite in all respects.

I also have to hand it to RZA and his influence on this movie's soundtrack. Everything was pulled off perfectly. I've read recent interviews with him where he mentioned he didn't want to "rap up" the film like so many other companies do when they localize foreign martial arts films that are comparable to this movie. He wanted the music to fit and work with the scenes and I think he and everyone else involved really succeeded on that level. Did anyone else notice the Super Mario Land theme near the start of the first volume of Kill Bill? lol

[spoiler]I did expect more action in this half that was given... but at the same time, it really fixed any complaints that anyone could have had with the first part; that being the character depth. I enjoyed the dialogue in the first half, but this one really just blew it out of the water. The Superman analogy made by Bill near the end is one of the best going out speeches I've ever heard in my life. It actually made me almost like Superman, which is saying a lot because I LOATHE him.

I really loved the scenes with Pai Mei and their throwbacks to Hong Kong cinema. It reminded me of (intentionally at this point) goofy films like Legend, which I believe starred Jet Li. The camera work in that section was wonderful. I think it succeeded on a comical level, but at the same time, I think it was even more interesting for people who have seen the types of films it was mimicing.

If anything, I only have two minor gripes with the entire film (both parts)... the first being that Beatrix's daughter seems far too accepting of her mother considering they've never met. At the same time, it seemed as though Bill was very active in showing the child who her mother was and so forth. So I guess I'm more mixed than bothered by that.

The second is just that I was disappointed with Bill's death. I suppose, in the scheme of things, the five point exploding heart technique was the best way for Bill to go. Afterall, she loved him (even still, I'd say) and a bloody battle wouldn't have made much sense...

But at the same time, I would have absolutely have loved to see her and Bill have a swordfight in the moonlight that he casually refers to in their conversation. What an awesome scene that could have been. There really were no impressive swordfights in the second half, which was somewhat of a letdown for me.

I thought it was cool that they managed to work Samuel L. Jackson in though heh.[/spoiler]

I don't know what the hell to do about the DVDs for this film though. The head of Miramax has been an absolute dick and has insulted the fanbase of the film in a roundabout way... saying that because it is two parts, they can double-dip the film and release a ton of versions. Vol 1 normal, vol 2 normal, 1 special edition, 2 special edition, box sets... I am really annoyed that I don't know what the really definite version of the film to own will be.

Hmm...to be honest...the only reason i really enjoyed this film was because i was so excited about it and that i amsuch a fan of the first one. If i was any person who had seen the first one and thought it was average and then went to see the second one...i probably would have been disapointed. What i am getting at, is that in a way, i was dissapointed...but it was extremely well done (both volumes that is).

I do like the thought of contrasting volumes. The first; full on gore, action, death and destuction...although you hardly even know everyones names nevermind theit background. The second; full on background, leads, explenation and description...yet hardly any action. I think Tarantino did this to please everyone...those action/gore freaks can love the second one and get intimate with it if they choose and crap on the second for he cares, and those plot development freaks can have their way with volume 2 if they wish and crap on volume 1 OR those who love the all round genuis of this film can have a nice little three-some...:). Sorry sex on the mind :wigout:.

Although i love these 2 films as a whole i do have gripes...
[spoiler]Volume 1:
The black and white-ness...i just hope that on the DVD it is in full colour. I do however respect the artistry and thought behind the black and white scenes.

Volume 2:
The way they make it out that Beatrix (The Bride) is non-human. I am not certain but see when she was shot at point-blank range with the shotgun...i remember catching Bud say on the fone somthing about "salt-bullets" or somthing....but i was not sure if it was just redneck-trailer-park-trash-slang...can someone clarify?

Also when she climed out of the grave. I did like the use of the technique Pai Mei taught her and she finally succeeded when she needed it most, but the way she climed out the grave....it wouldn't be possible in the slightest because:
1. The mud would fill up the grave faster than punching througha hole big enough to fit through.
2. Trying to climb out if impossible becuase she isnt 8 foot tall.
3. The mud would slip away from underneath her like quicksand and she would get pulled under easily.

I was a bit annoyed at these but the series was overall great :)[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/images/icons/icon14.gif[/IMG] [/spoiler]

Also Tony, i am also enraged about the DVD fiasco. I thought i was being clever (and patient, i can't wait to own the 2 films on DVD) on waiting for the Box-Set but now you have informed me of special versions BEFORE the box-set and most probably every version of DVD on both volumes will have diffrent extra features. The most wanted feature is the black and white scene in Volume 1 in full colour...

Well, in response to your complaints... [spoiler]Look at this movie. You have to suspend reality a bit for nearly any of it to make sense. Therefore, the whole buried alive thing, while weird, was not out of the realm of possiblity in the world created for this film.

As for the bullets... they were just shotgun shells filled with rock salt, just as he said. It's not enough to kill someone, but it will hurt a lot. Plus salt in open wounds stings, which was also said in the film. It wasn't slang for shotgun blasts or anything. He wasn't trying to kill her at that point.

The black and white was apparently done to get around ratings issues... in that big fight scene, anyway. In Japan, for example, that whole scene was supposedly shown in full color. I guess there was just too much blood flying around lol. I've heard the special edition DVDs will have this in full color, but I have no clue how true that is.[/spoiler]

I saw KILL BILL VOL 1. today and I was kinda disapointed.

[SPOILER]First the Bride is just tkaen to superhuman levels. I mean come on A real person can't take out an gamg of 60-70 peopel no matter how skilled you are. The sword might have been strong but that alone isn't enough to take out all them people. And teh fight with Gogo was really takin it to super levels. The bride was hit with a steel ball with spikes directly in the chest. Not once but twice. No way she could have lived, it would have crushed her chest.

Second it was just too predictible. I mean you already knew that Uma was going to kill Luicy lui( forgot the name of the character she played). ANd I knew that she was going to beat all of her henchmen aswell. It seems all th epeopel that she killed you knew that she was going to win.[/SPOILER]

But even with those two things I still amd going to see Vol 2. and just to see how the story ends. [SPOILER]Maybe the Bride will die. In teh nexy Volumes I hope it gets more into the story than into the superhuman abilities of one woman.[/SPOILER]

[QUOTE=Alastor]I saw KILL BILL VOL 1. today and I was kinda disapointed.

[spoiler]First the Bride is just tkaen to superhuman levels. I mean come on A real person can't take out an gamg of 60-70 peopel no matter how skilled you are. The sword might have been strong but that alone isn't enough to take out all them people. And teh fight with Gogo was really takin it to super levels. The bride was hit with a steel ball with spikes directly in the chest. Not once but twice. No way she could have lived, it would have crushed her chest.

Second it was just too predictible. I mean you already knew that Uma was going to kill Luicy lui( forgot the name of the character she played). ANd I knew that she was going to beat all of her henchmen aswell. It seems all th epeopel that she killed you knew that she was going to win.[/spoiler]

But even with those two things I still amd going to see Vol 2. and just to see how the story ends. [spoiler]Maybe the Bride will die. In teh nexy Volumes I hope it gets more into the story than into the superhuman abilities of one woman.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I've spoilered the necessary stuff in the quoting, I'd suggest you do the same with your actua post, lol. And all of your criticism is focused on precisely what Tarantino intended. All of what you had mentioned was totally intentional on the part of QT. The Bride [i]is[/i] an elite assassin. Kill Bill is about revenge and killing those who betrayed The Bride. It's predictable because Tarantino wants it to be predictable. He had a very specific vision for Kill Bill and that's why it's so focused.

If you check out the Behind the Scenes making of Vol. 1 on the DVD, pay close attention to the Hittori Hanzo segment. They show a few clips of Hanzo slicing up a whole slew of ninjas, in a very similar manner/style of The Bride in the 88 Yakuza fight.

Everything in Kill Bill was deliberate, and that's what makes it great.