OtakuBoards

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Charles

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Whee! I beat the game yesterday! I played it constantly, even if only half an hour at a time. Each time, no matter how long I played, I'd somehow manage to find a boss. I guess I just played through it easy.

For me..[/COLOR][/size]

[SIZE=1][spoiler]For me, I like that blob-y thingee on the train best (besides the Shadow Queen, of course!). That little- or should I say BIG- thing came out of NOWHERE, which was what made it so fun. He was tricky (or was it a she?) because of its limbs. Those darn things would keep attacking my partners more than me, so I had to keep healing them so they wouldn't die (I didn't wanna fight alone!).

Taking down the Shadow Queen, for me, only took one try. One try! That disappointed me, but she did put up quite a fight.

My first partner was Goombette, using her "tattle" I managed to find out all her details and stuff. Then I kept Vivian out for the rest of the battle. Yes, she did die once, but one of my many Life Shrooms brought her back. Then she was down to 2 health by the time Shadow Queen took her true form. And before that healing sequence, Mario was down to 1 health!! But, as I said, that was right before the healing scene. ^__^;; Damn was I lucky, lol.

After that, it was just Super Jump or Spring Jump and Fiery Jinx or Veil over and over and over again 'till she was down to zip. Yes, the stage thingees did take her down a bit (I think, in total, they got rid of about 24 of her health for me!), but in the end it was Mario that killed her off.

And yes, digitalshadow, the Bowser fight was great. ^__^[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[size=1][COLOR=Blue]Oh, and my Yoshi (which I named Skip after my cat) was orange. I wanted blue, though, lol.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I got the game last weekend, and I love it. Basically, I have to agree with everything people have already said about the battle system. I think that Star Power is the most improved aspect. For one thing, it has a decent recharge rate (a very good one if you do the Stylish moves), and I like that the star Power moves actually have Action Commands.

As far as the humor goes, Luigi's stuff is just great. Then there's Bowser, and his stuff is hilarious. I also like how, during the fight with [spoiler]Hooktail the dragon, when you deplete her health, she eats a few audiance members to heal. then you go into the audiance section of the theater to finish the fight.[/spoiler] another hillarious thing is [spoiler]the sight above the secret entrance to the Great Tree that reads 'Secret Entrance'[/spoiler].

I'm currently in Chapter Three, about to go a round with Rawk Hawk, after which I anticipate I'll end up fighting [spoiler]Grubba[/spoiler]. Of course, due to the regulations with video games at my house, I'll probably have to wait until Wednesday (Thanksgiving break starts for me on Wednesday) to do so.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well since I haven't actually played the game yet, all I can do is read other people's posts jealously and wait until I buy the game for myself. I recently saw a clip for it in a DVD that came with the Nintendo Official Magazine UK, and I have to admit I was astounded, the graphics looks so neat and clear, and yet so colourful and fun. I only got a brief chance to play Paper Mario on the 64 but this really does look like something special, the whole RPG element is still relatively unexplored in the Mario franchise. Though I am aware there was a game before Paper Mario on the Super Nintendo, it's name eludes me at this point however.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1']Though I am aware there was a game before Paper Mario on the Super Nintendo, it's name eludes me at this point however.[/SIZE][/quote]

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Of the Mario RPGs that have been made, this is my least favorite, which should tell you how great the Mario RPGs are, because this game rocks. It's really, really funny, the gameplay is solid and the story is fun, if more than a bit cliche. However, even when I first played it, I thought it was a bit short and easy. The somewhat short length doesn't really get to me, anymore, but outside of a few boss battles, the game really isn't that hard at all.

[size=1][color=royalblue]I haven't even tried the first Paper Mario! I feel so BARREN!!! ;_;

I tried this game out at GameCrazy last Thursday, and I had to force myself away from the game. Seriously. These are the kind of games I long for. They remind me of Yoshi's Island so much, and I can't find any games other than the GBA ports and Metroid releases that give me so much fun.

It's fun flying around as a paper airplane. :3 As soon as I'm able, I'm so going to buy this game, but maybe I should rent the first Paper Mario first.[/color][/size]

Well, I've made it to Fahr Outpost at the beginning of Chapter 7, and I'll probably end up finishing the game this weekend.

I've been impressed by the variety of the bosses. Each one takes a different strategy. For example, with [spoiler]Grubba[/spoiler] in Chapter 3, you have to work around whatever stat bonus he currently has. Cortez in Chapter 5 was great, with his three different forms that all functioned differently. His third form gave me some trouble, and I thought I might end up losing. Then Cortez KOed Flurrie. As her replacement, I brought out Vivian, and things suddenly got a lot easier. Firey Jinx just destroyed Cortez.

The humor continues to be excellent, especially Luigi's stuff. I particularly liked his kart-racing bit with its obvois similarities to Mario's experience in Glitzvill. Bowser also continues to be great, especially his meeting with rawk Hawk. That was just hillarious. Some of the responses Mario gets to choose from are great, too. My favorites are bothe in Chapter 3. The first one is before a match in the Glitz Pit. grubba aske Maro what he thinks about the upcomming battle, and one of the responses is 'BUUUUURRRRRRRP' (I probably have the numbers of letters wrong). Also, [spoiler]when you're spying on Grubba and he hears you in the duct, you have three noises to choose from: 'Meow', 'Squeek', and 'Belch'.[/spoiler]. Hillarious.