Who's most important?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who's most important?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=blue]Hey out there! It's me again, Dragonboym2.
What do you think was a better Dragonball series?
The orginal itself that introduced us to Goku, Krillian, and a number of crazy characters?
Was it DBZ with it's longer series, bigger cast, and incredible battles?
Or was it DBGT the follow up that tied everything up?

What do you guys think? Who's number one?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]I merged your thread with the original DBZ/GT one, seeing as the question would be more appropriate to put in there, heh. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][/color]

someone (can't remember who) at the top of this post claims that the saiyans first came to earth because of goku. i'd like to dispute tis. they came because of the dragon balls, meeting goku was largely a co-incidence

personally i feel that the most important character is kamesennin roshi. as it is he who started most (if not all) of the main heros on the path of their training. without his guidance, i doubt goku would have ascended to ssj status.

[QUOTE=kabapu]someone (can't remember who) at the top of this post claims that the saiyans first came to earth because of goku. i'd like to dispute tis. they came because of the dragon balls, meeting goku was largely a co-incidence

personally i feel that the most important character is kamesennin roshi. as it is he who started most (if not all) of the main heros on the path of their training. without his guidance, i doubt goku would have ascended to ssj status.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with you on that one. Yeah, Goku did save everyone life over and over again, but Master Roshi did get him started on his path to greatness. So if anyone should be considered the most important or at least equally important since Roshi could only do so much because of his age. But when you think about it, there are others that help Goku as well, like King Kai for teaching the Kaioken style, the first guardian of earth (can't remeber his name) for using the chamber to further him and Gohan's training, and the Supreme Kai after winning the tournament. So they are equally important to the show. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.

[quote name='Loving_Senpai']I would have to agree with you on that one. Yeah, Goku did save everyone life over and over again, but Master Roshi did get him started on his path to greatness. So if anyone should be considered the most important or at least equally important since Roshi could only do so much because of his age. But when you think about it, there are others that help Goku as well, like King Kai for teaching the Kaioken style, the first guardian of earth (can't remeber his name) for using the chamber to further him and Gohan's training, and the Supreme Kai after winning the tournament. So they are equally important to the show. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.[/quote]

heh. seems like someone agrees with me. after all. kamesennin taught them all the kamehameha. cell wouldn't have been nearly as strong if he didn't have the cells that gave him access to that.

plus, there was a lot to be said about the rivalry between turtle master and turkey master (that guy who we first see training tienshinhan)

• 1 month later...
For some reason the original DB show is still a good guilty pleasure for me it still makes me laugh and smile. It's been awhile since I watched the series but I came across the first 9 sagas recently for dirt cheap so decided to pick them up and see how I would find the show to be after all this time. I was quite surprised that I still enjoyed it to be honest I've tried watching other series from around the same time frame as when I started watching anime but they no longer held any interest for me I still loved the characters themselves but the shows were boring to me now (namely: Yu Yu Hakusho, GundamW and Outlaw Star).

I can never bring myself to watch DBZ again I tried believe me I can't watch it again but I think I'll be hanging on to the DB sagas for a good bit the characters and meager storyline still keep me entertained so will be a good way to pass time while waiting for new episodes of the shows that have come out recently.

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=Navy]When I was watching DBZ uncut episode 2, Raditz explains to Goku that Planet Vegeta was destroyed 3 years ago, which is a quantum leap in time. Wasn't Goku launched right when Planet Vegeta [spoiler]was destroyed by Freiza.[/spoiler] Goku isn't 3 years old. Plot holes in DBZ are just ridiculous.[/COLOR] :animestun

[color=blue]I found a couple myself. First, the movie "Dead Zone." It supposed to take place before the series, but in it, Goku is talking with the others about finding his son, and Krillan shows up as well as Piccolo. And in the series, they are meeting Gohan for the first time.
(WARNING! SPOILERS!)
[spoiler]Also, Raditz claims that the Sayins go to worlds, eliminate them of all life, and put those planets for up for sale. Later on, we're told that in "Bardock: Father of Goku" the Sayins worked for Freiza, and he used them as him own personal army. He used them to go to worlds that resisted his rule, and wiped them out, not to put them up for sale.

And when did "The Tree of Might" and "The World's Strongest" happen? Goku was injured after his big fight with Vegeta, and he had the sprit bomb in both movies. A move he learned on King Kai's world while training to fight the Sayins. Not only that, but Gohan and Krillen left for Namek after the Vegeta saga, and they were in both movies.[/spoiler]

Weird, huh? Oh well. I still love it.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/color]

[quote name='Dragonboym2][COLOR=Blue']He used them to go to worlds that resisted his rule, and wiped them out, not to put them up for sale. [/COLOR][/quote]
It's possible that Raditz was trying to make the life of a Saya-jin sound more appealing since he was trying to entice Goku. Later we may have found out that he was lying.
Also, in a way they are wiping out planets and putting them up for sale. Just, selling them to Frieza.

[quote name='Dragonboym2][COLOR=Blue']And when did "The Tree of Might" and "The World's Strongest" happen?[/COLOR][/quote]

Most of the Dragonball movies don't make sense chronologically.
One movie explains how Trunks got his sword, a mystical demon that is reminiscent of [b]Legend of Zelda's[/b] Link. But that doesn't explain how Mirai Trunks got his sword.

In another movie, we see Hitler's ghost over a thousand years before he is supposed to be alive. Though, this was probably just a joke that the writers put in.

The pattern of making a movie outside of canon timeline, unfortunately, isn't too uncommon. In the first Naruto movie, Sasuke knows Chidori and Naruto knows Rasengan. But they don't seem to be fighting. So when does this movie take place? To be fair though, I only saw the second half of this movie so it might've been explained in the first half.

-ArV

As far as the movies go, most of them are not supposed to be included in the TV series timeline. The only ones I remember that are supposed to be included is the Bardock movie and the with Trunks before he went to the past. The only movies besides those that seem like they could be part of the TV series without any loop holes is the Garlic junior movies. The only problem with Dead Zone is what has previously been pointed out.

I didn't notice Raditz saying their planet was destroyed three years ago, wish I had recorded it,heh.

Too bad the movies couldn't be included in the storyline somehow, if they were Goku would be a whole lot stronger from those big fights. :D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='r2vq']-_- Now that it's comprehendable, didn't King Piccolo come to Earth after the Dragon Balls were made? In fact I thought they were made by Kami-sama, who of course co-existed at the same time as King Piccolo or Piccolo, with rememberance of his old planet Namek. *shrugs*-ArV[/quote]

Technically Piccolo Daimu did come to Earth after the Dragon Balls, but that's because Kami had to cleanse his soul before becoming God. But neither Kami nor Piccolo remember their life on Nameksei.

[quote name='Unborn Lord Xion']I have noticed that Gohan has 25% of the vote in the poll, and wish to ask why. Why is Gohan most important? Is it just because you want to be different? Is it because you misread it and thought it said Goku? Or do you have an actual reason. If the latter is true, please, step up and tell me why.[/quote]

Some people argue over Gohan's importance to the series because of his accomplishments against Cell and later Buu, and fathering Pan, even though I consider GT an abomination. Plus there is the fact that without Gohan, Vegita would have killed Kakarot during the fight on Earth, and Gohan saved Dende on Nameksei. Gohan also stalled against Furiza in his second from, and even matched his power during Gohan's little outburst.

[quote name='Wingman']Why can't there be any halfbreed Saiyian females( there all males and i want to see a SSJ female). Just wandering.[/quote]

It's not that there can't be any halfbreed female Saiya-jins, just that there [i]weren't.[/i] And females cannot go Super Saiya-jin at all, regardless of their heritage.

[quote name='kabapu']someone (can't remember who) at the top of this post claims that the saiyans first came to earth because of goku. i'd like to dispute tis. they came because of the dragon balls, meeting goku was largely a co-incidence[/quote]

*points* U PHAIL

*cough* Ahem. No, sorry, Radditz first came to Earth to look for Kakarot, and heard of the Dragon Balls just before his death, which Vegita and Nappa overheard.

[quote name='kabapu']heh. seems like someone agrees with me. after all. kamesennin taught them all the kamehameha. cell wouldn't have been nearly as strong if he didn't have the cells that gave him access to that.[/quote]

...Simply knowing a technique doesn't make you any stronger. The Kamehameha simply focuses energy as opposed to just unleashing a wave of it. It doesn't make anyone physically stronger.

To the main topic at hand, no individual character is "the most important." There rarely is in animes. The Dragon Ball series is a quest through live with friends and trying to survive trials and tribulations. Each character supports some other character in many ways, some more complicated than others. Sure, Kakarot might be the main hero, but without Buruma he would have been living in the mountains his whole life. Without Muten Roshi Kakarot would never have learned true martial arts, or met Kuririn. Without King Piccolo, Kakarot would not have advanced as much as he did. So on and so forth.

But if I had to pick a single, particular one, I would say Kami-sama. Without him coming to Earth, there would be no a) Dragon Balls and thus Buruma would not go on her quest and meet Kakarot, and, subsequently by both logic and chronological order, b) no Black Star balls and no DBGT.

So there.

[COLOR=#004a6f][FONT=Verdana]I live in Canda, so I watch well, used to watch, Dragonall Z on YTV.

The weird thing is, after episode 170, the voices, and the music changed again!

But appaerently, the voices didn't change for those watchingit in the U.S.

Why would they Dub the show twice?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f][FONT=Verdana]
Why would they Dub the show twice?[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This is what I heard, it could be wrong.

They dubbed the show in Vancouver at first. This was when they used voices like Scott McNeil for Piccolo.

Partways through the series FUNimation decided to switch to voice actors who work in LA.

Later on they decided to switch back to the Canadian voices.

So, in the US you only hear the American Voices.
On YTV, they keep switching with whatever FUNimation gives them.

-ArV

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f][FONT=Verdana]I live in Canda, so I watch well, used to watch, Dragonall Z on YTV.

The weird thing is, after episode 170, the voices, and the music changed again!

But appaerently, the voices didn't change for those watchingit in the U.S.

Why would they Dub the show twice?[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I live in Canada too! I also watch DB/z/GT on YTV. I realized that change. When I brought the DVD's, the voices were different.

Here are some reasons why this change might have happened:

Dubbs usoally vary between different country's. Such as the origenal anime from Japan, chould be changed when it gause to the US, and be changed differently in Canada.

In Japan, DBz is an 18+ show dealing with sex and brief nudity.

When YTV brought it, they chouldn't leave it like that, because of the younger viewers that they attract. So YTV brought a clean version, and cut alot of eps that were inappropriate.

So Canada's dubb is generally different.

Meaning, voice actors can generally be different to. Maybe it was something to do with the dubb, but probably, from ep 170, they needed to switch lines, etc. But all the recording was already done. So they just hired a new cast. If you watch the original funi eps of GT, the voices are also different from the voices in the blue water dubb.

Generally, there chould be alot of reasons why the voice actors changed. But that dausn't mean that the ones in the US.

They chould have dubbed it again, too. I guess the people who dubbed it can only answere your qeustion for sure.

I just wanted to point out that US airs a different dubb, even if the voices were the same.

[COLOR=#004A6F][QUOTE=r2vq]This is what I heard, it could be wrong.

They dubbed the show in Vancouver at first. This was when they used voices like Scott McNeil for Piccolo.

Partways through the series FUNimation decided to switch to voice actors who work in LA.

Later on they decided to switch back to the Canadian voices.

So, in the US you only hear the American Voices.
On YTV, they keep switching with whatever FUNimation gives them.

-ArV[/QUOTE]So are you saying that the voices were always the same from the [B]beginning[/B] for American viewers?

The first voice and music change occured on episode 54. That's when the voice actor Chris Sabat for Vegeta first came in. Before that it was Brian Drummond. Did this change occur for American viewers as well?[/COLOR]

Well yea i have to say Goku because without him the Z fighters couldn't have killed many villians in the DBZ Sagas and DBGT sagas also the story line revolves us and also i know this doesn't include Dragonball but if his head didn't hit that rock there would probably wouldn't be GT which probably many ppl don't care also Goku Trained Uub which he is an okay fighter. Also Goku helps his great great grandson to believe in hope so yea.

[quote]So are you saying that the voices were always the same from the beginning for American viewers?[/quote]I have no idea about the American voices. If somebody who watched the series in the United States could post, that would be helpful.

[quote name='Panny']Dubbs usoally vary between different country's.[/quote]
That's not true. I've been in Q&A sessions with those responsible for the dubs. Dubs are created for American Audiences. Canadians get whatever the Americans get, they don't get "special" dubs. That's way too expensive.

So even when Canadians dub a series they have to say things with American tones.

[quote name='Panny']I just wanted to point out that US airs a different dubb, even if the voices were the same.[/quote]
The only "different" dubs I know about are the "uncut" versions that are aired during Adult Swim episodes. We still get those. It depends on the station and CRTC which versions are allowed to be aired at which times, but the networks still have access to them. Again, no "special" dub for YTV.

-.o If I'm wrong I apologize....

-ArV

What you guys are talking about were the old Ocean Group dubs. I forget exactly why but eventually, about midway through the Namek Saga [technically just before the Furiza saga] FUNi came into the rights for DBZ. I remember it clearly because it was the episode where Kakarot had just landed on Nameksei and interrupted Recoome's rampage, and, suddenly, Toonami restarts the series from the beginning. So that explains the dubbing in the middle of the series, because FUNi did not want to have to buy the original voice actors' contracts AND support their salaries as well.

That also explains the current redub being played on Cartoon Network; FUNi is just making full use of their license.

EDIT: And the FUNi dubs were also horribly slaughtered [or edited, take your pick, I prefer to express how badly they mangled the episodes.] just as the Ocean Group's was. They released "Uncut" versions but for the most part these were still heavily toned down in terms of content and speech.

And, noticing the redubs of the first two seasons, FUNi is finally expressing more and leaving some of the stuff in. Now, if they would have just done that with the rest of the series I would be so much happier.

• 1 month later...
Guest suh8lim3
What episode/saga do they explain the backstory about Chaozu? I read on some site that he is actually a prince and that Tien is his bodyguard. Is this explained in an episode or DBZ movie or is it just something youd have to look up to know?

• 6 months later...
Guest ssj bardock
I think Bardock would win but i wanna hear what you have to say don't answer this if you haven't seen the bardock Movie

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]ssj bardock, I merged your thread with the Official Dragonball Z/GT thread. Rememeber that if you want to talk about something that relates to only one series you should post it in the official thread, even if that thread is very old. Also, try to improve your grammar and overall post quality. Especially on a first post we also encourage post content. Have something more that people can discuss; rather than just posing a question, suggest your answer. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any of the other mods. -Arvi[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]