OtakuBoards

Wolf's Rain

Dagger

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Volume 1 was originally supposed to come out on June 22, but for some reason Bandai recently announced that its release would be partially delayed. The regular disc will still hit stores in June, but the limited edition artbox set has been bumped back to July 6. I'm going to hold out for the artbox. However, if you don't care about that kind of thing, it might be easier to wait until June than to stay up late and watch (or tape) the series every Saturday.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
Nope, not for me... I have sattelite and I live on the West Coast and I happen to have absolutely NO life outside of school and work, so I can stay up as late as I want watching Wolf's Rain....I'm taping it for all my unfortunate friends who don't have sattelite.... They hate me... I get to watch it early and as many times as I want before I let them watch it... Of coarse I don't make them wait too long... Fortunately most of them are InuYasha fans as well...So I just tape the new Inu and WR eps on the same tape and they get to be extra happy.
Although I will probably go out and buy the discs when they come out... most likely the artbox... I have no problem supporting the anime industry and everything that is remotely related to it... As long as I have the money to support it...lol... *sigh* I hate being broke... Although that problem is directly tied to my car, gas prices in California and anime/manga.... Who cares as long as I'm supporting something I love??
Wow, someone smak me... I get way off topic too easily... Anyway...I do have to say the music fits very well with the show... I think it's going to be right there with CB when if comes to 'mood music' as my really CB obsessed friend likes to put it... CB has some of the best music for every episode [B]because[/B] it fits so well with whatever happens to be in any particular episode or scene... Yoko Kanno does an absolutely wonderful job with the music and I must say she should continue until she tires of the business... When she tires, I know I'll be sad when she leaves, but I'll be glad because of all the wonderful music she's helped to create...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cahoots34']...Is anyone else picking up some subtle shounen-ai undertones from this series?[/quote]

Wolf's Rain is pretty well known for just that kind of thing. From what I've read, Hige [spoiler]eventually becomes involved with another (presumably female) wolf,[/spoiler] but there's always Toboe and Tsume. Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if fans liked to pair Kiba with Tsume, seeing how as they have that hate-hate Harry/Draco-type connection which people seem to enjoy playing around with so much.

On the subject of couples, Cher and Hubb are really cute together. ^_^ Their relationship is refreshingly uncliched, and I love Cher's attitude (it also doesn't hurt that she's amazingly gorgeous). Since a good portion of Wolf's Rain is rather melancholy, at least in terms of atmosphere and music, it's nice to have a few supporting characters who can bring a bit of light-hearted banter into the mix.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Wolf's Rain is pretty well known for just that kind of thing. From what I've read, Hige [spoiler]eventually becomes involved with another (presumably female) wolf,[/spoiler] but there's always Toboe and Tsume. Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if fans liked to pair Kiba with Tsume, seeing how as they have that hate-hate Harry/Draco-type connection which people seem to enjoy playing around with so much.

On the subject of couples, Cher and Hubb are really cute together. ^_^ Their relationship is refreshingly uncliched, and I love Cher's attitude (it also doesn't hurt that she's amazingly gorgeous). Since a good portion of Wolf's Rain is rather melancholy, at least in terms of atmosphere and music, it's nice to have a few supporting characters who can bring a bit of light-hearted banter into the mix.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
I'd have to agree... I mean the whole divorced and still talking to each other is always a good thing (I almost wish my mom and dad were like that... Then again that would be weird) I love how they went out to dinner for their 'anniversary' and all.. I think Hubb is soo cool.. He's funny... I'm not sure about the Hige/Tume match up... I don't think I'd like that... maybe a different match, but not Hige and Tsume... I mean... Yeah... I think Toboe is better suited for Tsume. He already understands Tsume and is helping Tsume adjusting to other wolves and Tsume's problems with being polite and socially acceptable. Poor Toboe, he takes all the crap that Tsume dishes out and doesn't say a word to him about it.. He's a pushover... He needs a hug.

[quote name='Dagger IX1]Toboe is [i]so[/i'] cute. I can already tell that he's going to be my favorite of the show's four main characters ...[/quote]

Really? I hate him. Well, I don't hate him, he's adorable, but the whole time I'm watching I'm just thinking, "Don't do that -- don't be so stupid -- don't -- ahhh!!!" Admittedly, he's young, but he's one of those anime characters that has no common sense. In one of the episodes (no real spoiler here), two of the other characters are like, "Why didn't you _______?!" and he's like, "Hmm ... that would've been a good idea ..."

Then again, most anime features multiple characters who all have no common sense, so I suppose one Toboe isn't bad.

Anyway, I really enjoy the series so far. I think my favorite thing about it, besides the fact that the storyline is linear because I far prefer that to episodic, is the background music, which has already been mentioned. A lot of the time it's so subtle, and it's those tiny touches that [i]really[/i] add to the effectiveness of many of the scenes.

[quote name='terra']Really? I hate him. Well, I don't hate him, he's adorable, but the whole time I'm watching I'm just thinking, "Don't do that -- don't be so stupid -- don't -- ahhh!!!"[/quote]

Haha, I started yelling at the screen as I watched last night's episode of Gundam SEED. By the time that Wolf's Rain came on, I was all Ann Landersed-out.

The character who I have the most trouble liking would probably be Tsume. Actually, that's not true--even though I love the guy, his attitude really gets on my nerves. He just has such an enormous stick up his ***... sure, he's starting to soften up, but it wouldn't [i]kill[/i] him to say something nice every once in a while. I normally don't mind Tsume-esque characters, so I think it's his immaturity that really bothers me.

At least it's pretty clear that Kiba deserves to be the leader of their little group. Imagine what would happen if everyone was like Hige. :p

~Dagger~

[quote]Imagine what would happen if everyone was like Hige. :p[/quote]Oh, boy... heh.

Hige, at the moment, is the character that I find the most likeable in the sense that I think I'd enjoy just hanging out and talking with him... though I don't think I'd trust him with anything important. I think that in terms of most anime characters, Kiba has a remarkable amount of sense. Toboe is "cute" in the sense that he's a kid, he's sticking by these older people and just kind of wants acceptance, but he irritates me that way that most "young, naive, seeking acceptance" characters tend to... I don't dislike him, though. As for Tsume... he is badassly cool and bugs the hell out of me at the same time. Heh. His attitude kind of ticks me off at times, but then again, do you notice, he's gone out of his way to save other people several times, so I'm sure there's something under that tough-guy facade.

(... as usual, I feel like I'm not making any sense...)

I agree with Dagger that Tsume does seem like the hardest to like. Even if he's cool and badass... I think I'd want to avoid talking to the guy as much as I could, you know?

[quote name='Aurus']Toboe ... irritates me that way that most "young, naive, seeking acceptance" characters tend to... I don't dislike him, though.[/quote]
Exactly. Sometimes I wish all of those characters were eradicated from anime ... but then, I can't imagine the shows without them, either.

[quote name='Aurus]Even if [Tsume']'s cool and badass... I think I'd want to avoid talking to the guy as much as I could, you know?[/quote]
Maybe, but I wouldn't mind just looking at him ... Have you noticed how the animators drew his stomach and back? He has like, those ... washboard abs and little muscle lines ...

Well, [b]anyway[/b].

I just finished off the series in the past couple of days ... or what I have of it at least. The last episode, 26, left me very unsatisfied, and my boyfriend discovered online that Bandai released four more episodes (27-30, or an OVA depending on who you listen to) to further flesh out the ending. I had never heard that before, and not having those last four episodes is making me want to tear out my fingernails. But I'll practice patience, because I [i]will[/i] be getting my hands on those episodes at some point ... If nothing else, AS will eventually show them and by then I'll be back in the States to watch.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the storyline of what I did have, though I'm glad there are four more episodes out there for the ending because 26 really leaves too much in the air. I mean, all the plots are wrapped up ... sort of ... but there's definitely more to be said. So I'm very eager to see what the other shows contain.

What was most disappointing was that episodes 15-18 were (this won't spoil any storyline, but I figured I'd put it in spoilers just in case) [spoiler]pretty much just a summary of the first fourteen episodes. Not only that, but they [i]completely reused[/i] a ton of the animation from the previous episodes; when we put in episode 16, my boyfriend summed it up with the sarcastic slogan, "Now with 3% new footage!" It was really awful, and ironic considering they eventually decided they needed exactly four more episodes to finish up the story. Trust me, you can completely skip 15-18 and you won't have missed anything.[/spoiler] Considering the high quality of everything else, that really disappointed me.

But still. Good series. WHERE ARE YOU, EPISODES 27-30!?

Guest gendou ikari
Legends also talk of how wolves know where Paradise lies at the end of the world. However, wolves are mythical creatures thought to have become extinct 200 years ago. Well, that?s not exactly true. Wolves have learned to adapt themselves when around humans by taking human form. Through this method, they have been living in cities and towns along humans for the last two centuries.

Wolf?s Rain follows four such wolves that have decided they?ve had enough of city life and that it?s time to seek Paradise for themselves. They follow the scent of the Flower Daughter, a girl held captive in a human lab until she is kidnapped by a mysterious figure. Lost without her scent, they decide to rescue her. The Flower Daughter was made through alchemy by one of the noble families. She is the key that reveals the path to Paradise, a place where wolves rule. Wolves are drawn to her and she to them, but she is also sought by several nobles, who wish to unravel her secrets.

The setting seems to be post-apocalyptic. There was a time when mankind prospered, but something happened to cause civilization to decline. No one is quite sure what happened, but now each city is ruled by a noble tyrant and most of the people are poverty stricken. The nobles are a mysterious bunch that wage war on each other for reasons not yet revealed.

Wolf?s Rain is very good, although very melodramatic. It?s not going to win any awards for the feel good anime of the year and there tends to be a lot of blood and fighting amongst the wolves themselves and between the human/wolf community. Many wolves have lost the will to live and/or seek Paradise for themselves, and thereby settle for remaining mere street dogs. Others are rebels or in street gangs working desperately to maintain their status quo.

The story is engaging, though at points slow, and the characters have this alienating quality to them that makes them feel less human than your typical characters. That?s good, I suppose, for showing the distinction between the wolf community and human emotion, but sometimes you wish for something a bit more. I'm still not sure where I stand on the anime. It was interesting up until the 4 (yes 4 - one for Tsume, Hige, Toboe & Hubb) recap episodes 15-18 that you can definitely skip... or if you want to watch one, Hubb's story (18) was the best IMHO. None of which tell you anything you haven't seen up to now. Come ep 19, the story begins to take off again.

Note: The current ending does, however, leave something to be desired. Bones will be releasing 4 episodes on 2 DVDs to make up for their sucky ending ? the first is scheduled for January 23rd will contain episodes 27 and 28, while the second, due out on February 25th will contain episodes 29 and 30 according to Anime News Network. Also, from Anime News Network, it is probable that Wolf?s Rain will show on Cartoon Network in April 2004

gendou-- Wolf's Rain is currently showing on Cartoon Network (last night they played episode 7, "The Flower Maiden"). And if I recall correctly, the OVA episodes were created a good while ago.

In any case, I really enjoyed episode 7. This show is [I]stunningly[/I] beautiful. I'm so glad I'm watching it dubbed, despite CN's painfully crappy video quality--Wolf's Rain is totally worth getting on DVD, if only to see its amazing visuals in perfect clarity. The cel shading is smooth, soft and, during certain scenes, almost radiant. It does a fantastic job of complementing the sharp, detailed character designs.

I'm in ecstasy. Tsume and Kiba could not be any cooler, and I like Cheza (Chesa?) very much.

Lately, I've started to suspect that [spoiler]Blue is actually a wolf.[/spoiler] Am I completely off the mark? Maybe I should just wait and find out for myself.....

~Dagger~

Guest Ethril112
[font=Arial Black]Wolfs rain is the besstt evver....! thats my opion. all my friends here in Vancouver think so to. i tape it every saturday along with Inu-Yasha. i can't wait till this Saturday so i can see what happens next:D ...[/font]

I could have sworn I responded to this thread earlier :( Anyways, apparently I didn't, so here are my thoughts about the show. I love it more than perhaps Crest of The Stars, which is my favorite anime all time. This show is just, beautiful. My favorite thing about it is that You get to look at it from both perspectives of the human's eye and the wolf's eye. It's very neat. I love the setting, the characters, the whole thing of what this show is about. The plot is creative. I really do hope to see more than just 10 episodes of it.

[QUOTE=shaharazod]Hey i love Wolfs Rain!!! :love2: :luv: :heart: :wigout: :faint:
I dont know why maybe cuz i luv wolfs
anywho does anyone know if the whole series is availbe to buy yet?[/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Welcome to the OtakuBoards!

Posts like this are not usually permitted on the OB, as it is considered spam. Next time, work on your spelling and punctuation. Also, please put more thoughts and efforts into your posts, and try not to commit smiley suicide, as you have just done. I'm sure that once you read the rules and you see how things work around here, you'll get the idea.

*QA*[/color][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]
Lately, I've started to suspect that [spoiler]Blue is actually a wolf.[/spoiler] Am I completely off the mark? Maybe I should just wait and find out for myself.....

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

In response to this speculation, (you dont have to read if you dont wanna) [spoiler] Blue is half-wolf. She tells Kiba n' the gang in an ep. later in the series[/spoiler]

Anyway, I am Extremely Happy with this series. Cheza is one of the most interesting characters in the history of my anime-watching days. And she is hauntingly beutiful. The Cher and Hubb 'ship is freaking weird. Who goes out to dinner with your ex-parter because its your anneversary?! And Tsume seems really controlling. In the first few eps., his attitude gave me this sense of, "Why does this guy have to be such a hardass? Just lighten up, Kiba is part of your race anyway!", but now hes being an uber-cool guy ;) !

Yeah, it would suck if everyone was like Hige :confused:

OH, and the ending theme "Gravity", is that by the same band that does "The Real Folk Blues"? Cuz I'm in LOVE with that lady's voice in both songs! I don't usually listen to songs like that, but they kinda sound similar, and they're very well done.

Welcome to OtakuBoards, Strayed Soul. ^_^

The four main characters are wolves. It would be easier to explain the show's premise if you mentioned which specific aspects of Wolf's Rain confuse you--details are never a bad thing. OtakuBoards places a strong emphasis on post quality, and this includes asking questions in such a way that the people who respond are able to provide you with the most relevant and interesting answers possible.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Okay, this show really intrigues my intrests. It's cause of this whole 'Getting To Paradise' plot. Last night's episode was pretty cool...And I found out somethings that I actually didn't know...hmm weird, I can't understand the whole lunar flower into a human thing. How can you make a flower into a human? And how can wolves trick the eyes of a human disguising themselves as one of them? This show has it's twists and turns to it. And as for Hige, he's so cool! If everyone were like Hige, we'd be lazy people who can't stop eating and are always in some mood for the opposite sex[/COLOR] :smirk:

• 1 month later...
Okay, sorry to bring this thread up from so far back...but I have two questions about the show.

1. Does anyone know who sings the ending song of Wolf's Rain? You know, "Gravity"? I have to soundtrack to the show but when you look at the credits...it doesn't say who sings the song "Gravity"!? So, do any of you know? She sounds like the girl, Maaya Sakamoto, in the song "Tell me what the Rain knows", another great song in the show. Or is it Yoko Canno?

2. Is it true that the series's length is 29 episodes but only 25 are going to be aired because 4 of them are somekind repeat of the eariler episodes (or something like that)?

Any answers are appreciated!

You don't need to apologize for posting in a series-specific thread; these are meant to be brought back time and time again. Older general topics, however, shouldn't be revived. :)

1. Yes, the singer is Maaya Sakamoto.

2. The show is twenty-six episodes long. Four of those episodes (fifteen through eighteen, if I recall correctly) are recap clip jobs made solely to buy the production team more time. After the anime finished airing on television, four OVA episodes were created, bumping up the total to thirty. So if you ignore the recaps, Wolf's Rain is basically a run-of-the-mill twenty-six episode series.

~Dagger~

All I have to say is I love the show I didn't know what it was till my Grampa yeah my Grampa my Great Grampa to be exact told me about how he watches it and Witch Hunter Robin so I watch it with him and now I cant get enough of it I understand the wolves and the trickery stuff.

But I have some questions I keep getting the guy characters mixed up and not to mention how the heck is that girl they are trying to get back to a flower is she like the wolves seemingly human to human eyes.

Guest daydreamer
Here I go with another background music question... I just can't help it! Oh! There may be a very minor spoiler ahead. Don't know how to set the spoiler tag. Sorry ^^;

Okay, in the Wolf's Rain episode when the army began searching for the lunar flower (or Chezza, however it's spelled), and the blond woman with glasses was able to see her with the wolves running and she said that the lunar flower looked happy, close to those events a creepy music was been played (something like a cello). The music itself was awesome and when I heard it I told myself: "You're gonna have to download that one" (I meant the song).

The thing is that I have no idea what's it name. I was hoping someone here that had already downloaded or bought the OST or for some reason knew the title of the song would help me out. Please? Thanks!

I [I]think[/I] the song you are looking for is the one called [B]Beyond Me[/B]. Im not sure exactly which one you are talking about, but this song has a strong cello part through the entire song. It isn't so much creepy as it is soothing. It isn't very long, running a little bit over 2:30 minutes. The song is composed by Yoko Kanno.

Works from Kanno range from Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and even Ghost in the Shell. If you haven't figured it out yet, I am [I]the[/I] Kanno fan :D!

• 3 weeks later...
[color=sienna][font=comic sans ms] I must say ive thought the quality of this series has varied to a good degree...Some epsidoes where excellent while others seemed rather mediocre...

But this series has earned its place in my heart with this episode tonight.

[spoiler] And it did it with one elegent and incredibly sad scene...That scene would be when cher fell to her death...It happened in such a split second but it was just so heartwrenchingly sad...I mean just seeing the pain in hubbs face as he watched her dieing...

He had spent so much time trying to find her...Hed been so close and now that he was finally with her and they seemed happy and this even came out of nowhere...Id say it ranks up there with julias death in Cowboy bebop as one of the saddest things ive seen in anime... [/spoiler]

So yea thats the mark of a great series to me...One that makes me care so much for the characters that it can draw a tear from me... [/color][/font]

I was actually quite suprised by the episode Arkadyz mentioned. It isn't uncommon for [spoiler] anime story lines to kill main characters, but I just wasn't expecting Cher's death in the episode. I let out a gasp when it happened. After everything Hubb and Cher had gone through to finally get things back on track, to have this happen was heartbreaking.[/spoiler]

I think episodes like this one is the reason I enjoy watching Wolf's Rain so much. I actually care about what happens to the characters and want to see if they ever reach their destination of paradise.

Well the last eps. that i saw of WR last night was pretty sad
*spoiler to some...i guess*

occasionally Hueb (i guess thats his name ???) and cher are in an car while hige,blue and pops are in the back of the car. (or whatever my memory is going bad >.<)anyway hueb & cher were talking about how they never had children because they had some sort of guess that the world would end. They tell each other how much they want to be together and such and after the ice breaks apart the car flips over, now everyone that was in there (hige,blue pops, hueb, cher & cheza) were able to get out but as cher was getting out the ice broke apart taking her down to the very bottom of the cliff. Hueb was then telling her that she'll survrive and how they'll have a big family and such before cher occasionally died. Then Hueb Picked her up and put her to the water and letted her sink to the bottm (like FF7 where cloud did the same with Aeris cept Hueb didnt go in the water).

Very sad :(
(for those who do not understand most of what i was talking about i apoligize (sp?) im not good at describing stuff)